Duplicate Improving language support for the PS! Teambuilder for Generation 9 and common alphabetizations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, if it is please move it wherever appropriate
I was playing Battle Stadium Singles on PS! with a Japanese friend of mine who doesn't speak a word of English, and as they trying to replicate their cartridge team, they ran into an issue - they didn't know any of the English names of the Pokémon! This created an issue where they could not properly import their team at first. Thankfully, I speak English, but this got me thinking - are we unintentionally repulsing non-English speakers due to how the teambuilder works?

Part 1 - Generation 9
My proposal is firstly to update the teambuilder to account for different languages for Generation 9. An example of how this would work is below:To the credit of our programmers, this already exists for Pokémon before Generation 9. However, when trying to type in Hogator (Fuecoco), this happens:
Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 7.43.52 AM.png

I assume this is being worked on already, but wasn't sure so I figured it wouldn't hurt to include it.

Part 2 - Different alphabetizations
The second portion is one that's not implemented yet. For some languages (such as Japanese, in this case), there exists different alphabetizations - romaji, katakana, kanji and hirigana (only the first two are relevant in this case). When typing in the romaji for Cottonee (Monmen), the teambuilder works fine. However, when typing in the katakana for Cottonee (モンメン), nothing appears.
Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 7.56.55 AM.png

Cottonee is referred to as モンメン in Japanese media, so it might be puzzling for people if they type this in and don't see it appear. I assume (but am unsure) that this applies to other Pokémon as well.

I assume the second part also applies to different communities like the South Korean and Chinese communities, but as I do not speak either of those languages, I do not know for sure.
This wouldn't actually require any translation work, as the translation for each Pokémon's name in different languages is available on Bulbapedia.
Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 8.10.29 AM.png

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
This would be included in supporting other languages more generally, which already has its own thread. Gonna close this as a duplicate for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)