Help a Newcomer to build an OU team !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm TheNoob!
I started playing Pokémon Online/Showdown like a week ago. I studied about the meta and bla,bla,bla...

So, I'm awful on predicting yet, and I don't know how to use Substitute, so ... I tried to make a Full Attack team. It's main weakness is Fighting, so, I need a Ghost Pokémon, but I don't know what to take out... so... Please Help.

I can't analyze anything cause I'm a Noob, so I'll make a little comment below the pokémon.
Bad english though ;-;

Smeargle
(M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Magic Coat

My Leader Pokémon, I try to put Entry Hazards as much as I can. Spore for calm to hazard. Stealth Rock and Spikes for obvious reasons and Magic Coat for a "Magic Bounce" play-style. It's a shame its stats are so weak :(

Zygarde
@ Leftovers
Trait: Aura Break
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

- Coil
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Extreme Speed

One of my main beaters. I generally put it second (after Smeargle), just Coil and go FTW. It's Defensive stats are great, and boosted by Coil I can STAB almost anything with Earthquake. I fell in love with this bizarre-it-would-never-be-a-Dragon/Ground-Pokémon-with-an-useless-ability-dude.

Kyurem-B
@ Choice Band
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam

The main beater. This guy is just AWESOME ! Destroy almost everything with Choice Band+ATK EV's+Adamant. Man, Kyurem-B can be an Uber... But, as it is not, my OU team will have it.

Pangoro
(M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

- Crunch
- Bulk Up
- Hammer Arm
- Poison Jab

Interesting Panda. It beats hard and can take some hits. Bulk Up is really good for him. I really wanted to put Scrafty, but this one looks good enough.

Excadrill
(M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

I was between this guy and Forretress, but Excadrill can beat TONS and can stand a lot of hits. Plus he can beat Fairies easy with Iron Head.
Thinking on Stealth Rock / Swords Dance / Hone Claws.

Volcarona
(F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

MY FAVORITE POKÉMON ! I love this ... Am ... Pokémon ?
It's basic. Quiver Dance for boost and the rest FTW.

Well. This is what I was able to do ... I still count some options like:

Gengar
Rotom
Aegislash
Jirachi
Gardevoir, and others... But... It's it.

Thanks for helping!

Hi there, welcome to Smogon! This team looks pretty good, but there are a couple issues:

1. First of all, formatting. The RMT rules state that you need to have at least three lines of description for each pokemon, and they should talk about what the pokemon does instead of just its moves. Also, it's not a good idea to put all of your comments in bold- it might seem easier to read, but it doesn't look as nice.

2. Replace Choice Band on your Kyurem-B with Life Orb and replace Dragon Claw with Roost. It may seem silly on such a powerful pokemon, but it actually does have decent bulk. Dragon Claw isn't doing much for you on that set, and the damage loss from using Life Orb isn't too terrible, plus now you can switch between moves.

3. Your Excadrill set looks alright, but I'd advise you to run a bulkier set if it's your Stealth Rocker and your spinner. Smogon suggests 176 HP / 60 Atk / 252 SpD / 20 Spe and an Adamant nature. You can also run Leftovers to increase longevity. If you want it to be more offensive, replace Stealth Rock with Swords Dance.

4. I don't think Pangoro is doing enough for your team. I'd suggest replacing it with Mega Venusaur, for a few reasons. First of all, one of your team's big weaknesses is Azumarill, as 5 of your pokemon are weak to its STABs, and the other one is Smeargle, who is still OHKO'd. Second of all, it gives your team a second special attacker, which it needs. Finally, it provides great synergy, having only two weaknesses after Thick Fat.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll (Thick Fat)
IVs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef
Nature: Modest
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Ice / Leech Seed

So,
  • More Descriptions
  • Choice Band --> Life Orb on Kyurem-B
  • Air Balloon Excadrill --> Either Bulky Excadrill or SD Excadrill
  • Pangoro --> Mega Venusaur
Good luck!

Thanks a LOT ! :D

About descriptions... well... I intend to get better in the future...
I'll test your suggestions and see what will happen.

Your signature was made for me :)

Thank you really much !

Hi there! Firstly, while you say you're new to Pokemon, I must say your team look extremely well built for a beginner. However, there are a few changes I think you should make to your team.
Firstly, have you noticed you team has a gigantic four fighting weaknesses? This is huge, and I really think you should replace one of your Pokemon with something that resists fighting. Not only that, but you have no ground immunity, either. The final flaw is that your team consists of 4 physical attackers and only one special attacker, meaning that if Volcarona goes down, physical walls such as Skarmory will be really hard to deal with.
However, I think this can be fixed all in one Pokemon: Gengar. Gengar's typing and ability allow him to be immune to both Fighting and Ground type attacks, and he also gives you another special attacker. For the set, I'd recommend a Mega Gengar set, as even though it loses Levitate upon mega evolving, it gains an even better ability in Shadow Tag, which allows you to trap Pokemon and prevent them from switching out. Not only that, but you can always use Gengar's Levitate ability before you mega evolve him. I'd recommend replacing him for Pangoro, as you already have a set-up sweeper in Zygarde, and, to be honest, Pangoro is a prety bad Pokemon.

Next, I'd change you Kyurem-B set from a Choice Band set to a Choice Scarf set. Another problem I see with this team is that you have no revenge killer, meaning faster threats and other Choice Scarfers can really hurt this team. By giving Kyurem-B a Choice Scarf, you allow him to outspeed many threats he could never outspeed before, all while still being able to utilize that massive base 170 attack stat. Also, I might consider replacing Outrage or Dragon Claw with Iron Head, as it allows you to severely dent Fairy type Pokemon on the switch.

Suggested Changes:
Pangoro --> Mega Gengar
Kyurem-B Choice Band --> Choice Scarf

Hope this helps! :)

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hello,

The descriptions in this thread are really lacking, as the recommended is about 3 lines per Pokemon. Try to expand on what role each Pokemon plays for your team and why you chose that specific moveset or EV spread.

PM me your updated descriptions and I will unlock this thread for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)