Have a question? Ask it here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
ok so why do we separate megas and their base form? in almost every case they are completely different from their base form. we separate stuff like greninja and ash greninja because they're vastly different, just as zygarde 100% is vastly different from zygarde 50%, but we don't separate regular kangaskhan and mega even though they're not the same pokemon at all. why are megas treated differently than other forme changes?
we do separate megas...?

A quick question on game mechanics, as I've been a little confused since seeing Blissey's entry.

Do the stat modifications from EV's apply before those from Natures? The above page recommends a +Def nature for Blissey, which wouldn't make sense if it were +10% of its base Defense stat, 10. So it's +10% of 10 + 63, right?

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
A quick question on game mechanics, as I've been a little confused since seeing Blissey's entry.

Do the stat modifications from EV's apply before those from Natures? The above page recommends a +Def nature for Blissey, which wouldn't make sense if it were +10% of its base Defense stat, 10. So it's +10% of 10 + 63, right?
EV modifications come before Nature modifications, so it's 119*1.1 = 130.

Where do I go to suggest that Kartana be added to the team options section of the Tapu Bulu analysis since grass spam is one of the most potent cores in ou rn? I'm too lazy to read the op and just wanted to suggest that. If not just fix that on the analysis or tell someone to do that but don't give me an infraction I'm just making a suggestion.

Reactions: Wob

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions: Wob

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
Why does bw2 Keldeo run surf as a 100% accurate water move? Wouldn’t scald’s burn chance be better than a little power increase? If there’s any notable kos it gets, the Analysis doesn’t mention it

Hi, I have a couple of questions!

Context: I wanted to change the color of my name on Pokemon Showdown, and one of the moderators told me that I'd have to be a contributor to do that.

My questions:

1. What exactly constitutes a contribution?
2. Where do I send my contribution?

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm trying to change the description of a move, and I'm getting this:
"There was an error building. Here is the message from the server:

TypeError: Cannot read property 'constructor' of null"

Here's the change I was making if that helps.

Seed Flare.PNG

Is there a minimum number of amchecks that have to be done before applying to the GP team? I was curious as the only requirement I saw was getting one of your amchecks stamped by someone currently in the GP team (although it's less of a requirement and more of a strong recommendation).

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Is there a minimum number of amchecks that have to be done before applying to the GP team? I was curious as the only requirement I saw was getting one of your amchecks stamped by someone currently in the GP team (although it's less of a requirement and more of a strong recommendation).
"No", as in there is no hard and fast number, but of course when you apply we want to see consistency too. So an application after just one or two checks isn't enough for us to gauge if someone is GP worthy, better to show us a more solid number of checks.

"No", as in there is no hard and fast number, but of course when you apply we want to see consistency too. So an application after just one or two checks isn't enough for us to gauge if someone is GP worthy, better to show us a more solid number of checks.
I assume by that response you'd prefer amchecks that weren't all posted within the same time? As an example, I only got interested in C&C and GP recently, so all of my amchecks were made within this week (although I have 5 so far). I'd like to apply at some point down the line, but I feel it's a bit too early to do so :P

Hey there! I had a question on submitting sets for pokemon....well a few of em

1.: Where do i submit them
2.: How long does it take to think about it getting added
3.: How do i submit the set?

Thank you if you actually answer this, I found a set for Golurk i wanted to show the forums...and i cant figure it out. So as i said, Thank you!

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey there! I had a question on submitting sets for pokemon....well a few of em

1.: Where do i submit them
2.: How long does it take to think about it getting added
3.: How do i submit the set?

Thank you if you actually answer this, I found a set for Golurk i wanted to show the forums...and i cant figure it out. So as i said, Thank you!
It depends on what tier your set is for. For example, if it's for OU, you'd go to the OU Analyses subforum within this Contributions & Corrections board and then post in this thread:

1528775004779.png

But if it's for, say, NU, you would go to the NU Analyses subforum and post in the Sun & Moon NU Analysis Discussion thread. Or if it's for VGC... etc. Each subforum should have some kind of analysis discussion thread, so just go to the appropriate one.

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
It depends on what tier your set is for. For example, if it's for OU, you'd go to the OU Analyses subforum within this Contributions & Corrections board and then post in this thread:

View attachment 121532

But if it's for, say, NU, you would go to the NU Analyses subforum and post in the Sun & Moon NU Analysis Discussion thread. Or if it's for VGC... etc. Each subforum should have some kind of analysis discussion thread, so just go to the appropriate one.

Actually for OU if you have a set suggestion you're supposed to post in the reservation thread. The Analysis Discussion thread for OU is primarily for revising analyses that are already on-site.

If you would like to suggest adding a set or a significant change, you may post it in here. From there QC will evaluate whether to accept or reject. If the person wishes to reserve the analysis due to suggesting it I will allow it, but it must be mentioned in the post that you wish to reserve it AND you must not already have a reserved analysis as well. Furthermore, we will determine if the person is allowed to reserve the analysis. I will at least try to be fair when exercising this new rule.

Small question, why aren’t people credited for analysises on the smogon dex? It seems a bit out of place, given that art and articles and everything else have a “by xxxxxx” next to them and I want to brag about it too.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Small question, why aren’t people credited for analysises on the smogon dex? It seems a bit out of place, given that art and articles and everything else have a “by xxxxxx” next to them and I want to brag about it too.
Not a simple question to give a simple answer to, but I'll try to give some context. Previously, the reason was because so many people have their hands on analyses as they go through the stages that crediting everyone that puts their work into it wasn't considered feasible. As well, how do you determine what's a big enough edit or contribution to be included in the credit? There are very few writers here that are good enough at all three stages to definitively attribute enough of the analysis to solely credit them. Do you credit every QC input? What if there was only 2 mistakes at the GP stage, are the GPers then credited? What if it's already onsite and someone edits it, do they get credited?

There's been a lot of people that have thrown around the idea of a byline, and I think it would be worth doing. However, how to go about it has left it stuck in the idea stage for a very long time. Most recently, I threw out the idea of including a Wikipedia-like edits page clickable on each analysis, but afaik that would be a lot of work for chaos for little payoff as opposed to devoting time to including different features for the dex/site.

Are the non-Alolan forms of Pokemon officially called "Kantonian forms"? That doesn't seem right, because those forms appeared in a lot of regions other than Kanto.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Are the non-Alolan forms of Pokemon officially called "Kantonian forms"? That doesn't seem right, because those forms appeared in a lot of regions other than Kanto.
It's usually implied anyways (we only really need to say it when we're directly contrasting them w/ Alolans), but that's what the game calls them at least, and tbf it's probably the best that we've got. "Non-Alolan" sounds really bad, and they're native to Kanto so it makes enough sense.

Archas

Getting over the barrier
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but for the past few months, my iPad (running iOS 8) and my iPhone (running iOS 11) have both been unable to properly display any content from the Strategy Dex. Every time I try to access the Dex, the screen is filled with tons of empty space that won't move out of the way, and is overlaid on top of the information the Dex should be displaying. Swiping the screen moves the content below the massive amount of empty space, but the empty space itself stays put, so all of the content stays hidden.

Here's an image of what happens when I try to use the Dex on these devices:
This didn't always happen, though I can't recall when it started doing this. According to the FAQ section, though, iOS 8 and 11 are both compatible with the supported browsers listed, so I don't know why this problem is happening.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Lumari

empty spaces
TFP Leader
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but for the past few months, my iPad (running iOS 8) and my iPhone (running iOS 11) have both been unable to properly display any content from the Strategy Dex. Every time I try to access the Dex, the screen is filled with tons of empty space that won't move out of the way, and is overlaid on top of the information the Dex should be displaying. Swiping the screen moves the content below the massive amount of empty space, but the empty space itself stays put, so all of the content stays hidden.

Here's an image of what happens when I try to use the Dex on these devices:
This didn't always happen, though I can't recall when it started doing this. According to the FAQ section, though, iOS 8 and 11 are both compatible with the supported browsers listed, so I don't know why this problem is happening.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
chaos fixed this a couple days ago I believe

Back in BW, before the format changed, if you clicked on a move / item / ability on that subpage there was a short paragraph detailing its viability (or lack thereof). Could we do something like that again? Stuff I've got in mind:

Flyinium Z

Usually used to negate the drawbacks of the more powerful Flying type moves, notably Hurricane's low accuracy, Brave Bird's recoil, and the charge turns of Fly and Bounce. A fairly common item in OU, with notable users including Landorus-T, Tornadus-T and Gyarados.

Stone Edge

Despite its shaky accuracy, Stone Edge is still the go to STAB for most physically inclined Rock types. The power difference compared to Rock Slide means it is still the preferred option most of the time. It also commonly sees use as a coverage move on Ground, Fighting and Grass types, to hit the Bug and Flying types that resist their STABs for super effective damage.

Mewtwonite X

Mega Mewtwo X is laregly outclassed as a physically inclined Psychic type by Dusk Mane Necrozma and Ultra Necrozma, which have better typing, more useful abilities and don't fill your mega slot. As a Fighting type, it is often eclipsed by Marshadow and Mega Lucario; the former has Spectral Thief and perfect neutral coverage with its STABs, the latter can also check Xerneas. There's little reason to use Mega Mewtwo X.

Guts

Guts is a fantastic ability for any physical attacker, as it lets them bypass the burns which would normally shut them down, and actually use them to power up. In fact, many Pokemon with Guts run the item Flame Orb so they can always get the boost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)