Gurdurr (QC 2/3) [WRITTEN]

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]

Gurdurr makes for a decent option as a bulky Physical attacker in a meta where there are many bulky Pokemon needed to be broken through. Gurdurr has a niche in being bulky enough to set up while being immune to the attack-halving effects of burn. Gurdurr gets STAB Drain Punch which allows for some recovery, as well as STAB priority Mach Punch which allows it to beat faster threats such as Sneasal and Vanilluxe. Guts allows Gurdurr to absorb status and even gain an attack boost from it. Gurdurr has relativly poor special bulk, and while made better by Eviolite, is vulnerable to neutral special attacks. Gurdurr has limited coverage which means it can have trouble with Flying, Fairy, and Poison types.
Other Fighting-types in the tier such as Virizion, Hariyama, Emboar, and Hitmonlee give Gurdurr stiff competition due to speed and raw power.
[SET]
name: Bulky Physical Attacker
move 1: Drain Punch
move 2: Bulk Up
move 3: Mach Punch
move 4: Knock Off
item: Eviolite
ability: Guts
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Drain Punch allows Gurdurr to regain health while doing damage to its opponent. Mach Punch provides a good priority attack to make up for low speed to beat faster, frailer threats once damaged. Bulk Up will boost Gurdurr's Attack and Defense by one stage, making it even bulkier while hitting even harder. Knock Off can be used to hit Ghost and Psychic types, while removing the foe's item, potentially crippling it. Its also a great move for removing items in general, particularly Golbat's Eviolite.

Set Details
========

Eviolite makes Gurdurr quite bulky on the physically defensive side and helps with its poor special bulk. The listed EV spread allows Gurdurr to avoid the 2HKO from Scarf Emboar's Flare Blitz with Stealth Rocks up. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack to allow Gurdurr to hit as hard as possible. Guts allows Gurdurr to ignore what would once be potentially crippling burn and instead boost its attack by 1.5 if burned.

Usage Tips
========

Gurdurr can sufficiently use Knock Off throughout the early-game, as it is a almsot no drawbacks move and can lure in common Gurdurr checks. Drain Punch makes for a good way for Gurdurr to recover some of its HP as well as being its primary STAB attack. Gurdurr can be used to setup or threaten many common Normal, Rock, and Steel types in the metagame. Use this to your advantage when you can pivot in or revenge kill. Gurdurr can also setup on more passive defensive Pokemon such as Regirock. Gurdurr can be a great status absorber due to Guts, but the residual damage can often be worse than the damage boost is worth, particularly with poison. Getting Gurdurr burned is the ideal scenario so the damage from getting poisoned doesn't wear Gurdurr down so fast.
Team Options
========

In order to deal with Psychic types that Gurdurr struggles with, Dark and Ghost type attackers such as Mismagius and Sneasael are quite beneficial. Gurdurr also provides them with a check to bulky Dark types like Incineroar that they struggle with. Poison Types such as Toxicroak and Garbador help Gurdurr deal with Fairy types which resist both of Gurdurr's moves. Gurdurr appreciates the support of Pokemon who threaten Slowbro, a severe threat to Gurdurr as well as an easy switch in. Steelix, Sneasel, and Rhydon all provide answers to flying types that bother Gurdurr. Steelix and Rhydon also give helpful ground coverage that help Gurdurr defeat the Poison-types that resist Gurdurr's primary attacks. Psychic-types like Slowbro and Delphox help Gurdurr deal with Poison-types as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Stone Edge is an interesting option that can be used to lure in Flying types such as Vivillon and Xatu that would normally threaten Gurdurr. Ice Punch can be used as well to deal with the likes of Grass and Flying-types without the accuracy drawback of Stone edge, but will do overall less damage to Flying-types. Toxic is a useful option to cripple bulky Pokemon like Slowbro, Slowking, and Vaporeon.
Checks and Counters
===================

Bulky Poison Types: Bulky Poison types like Weezing, Vileplume, and Garbador can make for difficulties with either chip damage or taking advantage of Gurdurr's low special defense.

Flying types: Flying types such as Vivillon, Golbat, and Scyther resist Gurdurr's STAB and can use Gurdurr for setup fodder.

Psychic Types: While none can switch in comfortably due to the presence of Knock Off, Psychic Types such as Xatu, Delphox, and Mespirit can deal huge amounts of damage to Gurdurr before it can respond with Knock Off.

Fairy Types: Fairy types such as Aromatisse, Whimsicott, and Granbull resist all of Gurdurr's moves, making Gurdurr nearly useless versus these foes.

Special Attackers: Strong Special Attackers such as Delphox, Vanilluxe, and Sceptile can take advantage of Gurdurr's low Special Defense and KO it with even neutral hits.

Last edited:
can you expand on the team options a bit DurzaOffTopic

sorry no one QCed this after so long. Worth mentioning that if you can get Gurdurr burnt that is ideal. Good call on trying to avoid poison, that damage adds up

if you expand a bit on team options ill give this 1/3

can you expand on the team options a bit DurzaOffTopic

sorry no one QCed this after so long. Worth mentioning that if you can get Gurdurr burnt that is ideal. Good call on trying to avoid poison, that damage adds up

if you expand a bit on team options ill give this 1/3
Alright now that I have my life partially back I decided to update this and fixing many of the outdated things in it as I have gained a large amount of experience in the meta.

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
Overview:
Gurdurr makes for a solid Physical attacker in a meta where there are many bulky Pokemon needed to be broken through.
  • Too vague for an opener, this doesn't really tell me anything specific about Gurdurr, I also wouldn't emphasize Gurdurr's ability to break bulky Pokemon because some of the most common ones (e.g Slowbro, Golbat, Garbodor, etc) beat it. The main draws for Gurdurr are Guts + Physical bulk to check stuff like Barbaracle / Emboar / Viriz / Scarf Hitmolee.
  • Give some examples of what Gurdurr can snipe with Mach Punch, e.g Barbaracle, Sneasel, Vanilluxe
  • It also struggles immensely with Fairy-types
Set:
Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
  • Make this the set, the defensive investment allows Gurdurr to take 2 Scarf Flare Blitz's from Emboar with Stealth Rock up

Moves:
  • Add Golbat to the list of Knock Off targets
Set Details:
  • Swap the Tauros mention with Emboar.
  • Also mention the HP + Def helps with Barbaracle
Usage Tips:
  • Use the bullet point format
Other Options:
  • Mention Toxic, cripples Slowbro, Slowking, Vaporeon
Checks & Counters:
  • Add Vileplume to Poison-types
  • Golbat to Flying-types
  • Which Special attackers? Give some examples
  • Remove the "Fast Physical Attackers" section.
1/3

Overview:

• Too vague for an opener, this doesn't really tell me anything specific about Gurdurr, I also wouldn't emphasize Gurdurr's ability to break bulky Pokemon because some of the most common ones (e.g Slowbro, Golbat, Garbodor, etc) beat it. The main draws for Gurdurr are Guts + Physical bulk to check stuff like Barbaracle / Emboar / Viriz / Scarf Hitmolee.
  • Give some examples of what Gurdurr can snipe with Mach Punch, e.g Barbaracle, Sneasel, Vanilluxe
  • It also struggles immensely with Fairy-types
Set:
Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
  • Make this the set, the defensive investment allows Gurdurr to take 2 Scarf Flare Blitz's from Emboar with Stealth Rock up

Moves:
  • Add Golbat to the list of Knock Off targets
Set Details:
  • Swap the Tauros mention with Emboar.
  • Also mention the HP + Def helps with Barbaracle
Usage Tips:
  • Use the bullet point format
Other Options:
  • Mention Toxic, cripples Slowbro, Slowking, Vaporeon
Checks & Counters:
  • Add Vileplume to Poison-types
  • Golbat to Flying-types
  • Which Special attackers? Give some examples
  • Remove the "Fast Physical Attackers" section.
1/3
done, didn't include barbaracle stuff bc imo its getting banned. if it doesn't ill edit in.

Raseri can i take that 2/3 because i expanded on team options

Raseri quit and won't be able to give you a proper check so I'll go ahead and do it myself

Overview:
  • Mention the other Fighting-type mons in the tier that make Gurdurr less viable. Why would you use it over any other Fighting mon? Explain.
  • You haven't properly implemented Eternally's check. He has told you to expend the first bullet point, please do so as it's still very vague for an opener
Set Details:
Eviolite makes Gurdurr quite bulky on the physically definsive side and less so on the specially defensive side.
  • What? That makes no sense, Eviolite boosts both Defenses. Reword that part to make it evident that it makes it bulkier on both sides, but emphasize on how its SpD is still relatively low compared to its physical defense.
Other Options:
  • Remove Iron Fist. It's bad and should never be used; Guts is Gurdurr's primary niche.
C&C:
  • Add Fairy-types.
Tag me when you implement this and I'll give 2/3

while writing this up, give it a proofread and correct the spelling mistakes you've made, it seems like there are a few typos.

2/3

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
Locking this because Gurdurr isn't ranked on the VR, so it won't be getting an analysis. rip :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)