Walrus Granny's Free Real Estate

19th:
Eagle4: Philp Glass - Runaway Horses
I like Philip glass. I like him a lot.
The strings in this are really solid, and keep a really nice beat while also providing a very nice melody. I wish this had more than just strings, however, and was even more moving instead of metered. It feels regulated, not chaotic, frightened enough, or even triumphant like you’d expect a herd of runaway horses to be.

Last edited:
18th:
Flamestar: irlatinia - The Legend of Zelda Theme (Orchestra)
This isn’t orchestra. :| It’s just a string ensemble. That actually bugs me a lot more than it should.
Like, you could’ve subbed the 25th Anniversary Version of the Zelda Theme that’s performed by, like, the actual Zelda Orchestra, and is really cool.
Instead I just feel like I’m listening to a Mozart string piece.
Which, I mean, isn’t bad normally. But since all of the other subs in this are really great, I’m kinda forced to be picky with this.

Last edited:
15th:
epicdrill: Metallica - No Leaf Clover
Wow. I usually despise Metallica. But this is really neat, and sounds great to boot. Unlike Florence and The Machine, this song equates both the band itself with the orchestra. They blend together and take turns instead of one dominating the other.
Seriously this drummer is great, and the guitar fits in really well with the long string lines during the ‘down’ parts of the song. And when the song picks up, so do the orchestral instruments. The oboe, trumpet, and horns come back to face the music, and the sounds of all of these instruments do well in drowning me in a surprisingly good mix of sound.
Edit: Just realized you basically sent me Trans-Siberian Orchestra minus the Christmas. And now I’m slightly disappointed that no one sent me TSO. :/

Last edited:
13th:
Myzozoa: Bjork - Joga
Okay. The intro is nice. It’s a lady singing to an orchestra, which is pretty neat. The strings keep rising as she repeats her lyrics, and you can definitely tell the song is going to pick up even before the electric beat kicks in at 1:10. I honestly really like that interlude, but I wish that the song kept going right after that, instead of going back to the smoothness of the very beginning, except this time with more prominent high strings. But, after time, not even the melodic strings and the sick electric beat can distract me from the fact that she’s singing the same two lines the whole time. Ugh.
Holy crap, that just ended out of nowhere. Crikey.
Myzo: classical musics r bad, or, Bjork pt 1

Last edited:
12th:
Yeti: Mattia Cupelli - The Call
You prolly just searched “epic orchestra” in the Youtube search bar, and got this, right? Well, I suppose there’s a reason this was near the top of such a search.
The song does exactly what’s title says: Call. I can feel a summons just by listening. This call is for the bravest, the purest of heart, the most willing to adventure. I just imagine a group of shadowed, hooded heroes entering a tavern one by one, all sitting apart from each other, but notice each other’s presence. They all know what they need to do. They all get up at once, and set out, silently, to rid the world of the evil that is now threatening it. I wish the story this song told had more energy, and more urgency, but I can definitely feel heroic potential.
Yeti: idk what this cat is lol

11th:
vonFiedler: Electric Light Orchestra - Boy Blue
Electric Light Orchestra. Alright, ya got me. I chuckled.
Now this did right what Florence and The Machine did wrong. We have some synth pop backing the plucky string basses and harps, lilting violas, rising oboes, and punchy trumpets. This is legit awesome.
ELO basically took an orchestra and adapted themselves to it, adding their own unique feel to the orchestra instead of integrating the orchestra into their feel, like Florence and The Machine did.
The instrumentation is great, the energy is great, ELO is great. Plain and simple.

10th:
Robocart9: Carbon Maestro - Strings Unbound
Fun Fact: The song has nothing to do with pones except for the cover art. :^)
Anyways, this song has a pretty great string build, and I imagine a continuation almost of The Call, where now our heroes of yore have gathered to challenge dungeon after dungeon in a quest to gather enough information and strength to challenge the threat to their world. They know that they lose each other, and that they may lose themselves, but what must be done is what must be done. This is a song of preparation, of excited anxiety, of longing fear. Our world is at stake, but we must be ready. Ready to stand on the edges of Hell’s cliffs and challenge the Devil himself to a contest of acquired knowledge, skills, and beliefs. Again, like The Call, I wished this picked up more, and that they actually challenged the big baddie, but this is still a solid piece, with good emotion and orchestration.

9th:
nightblitz42: O-Life Japan - Primordial Beat ~ Pristine Beat
Whoooo boy, good start. Blaring trombones and tubas are a great way to get my attention, and my first thought was “wtf, this isn’t Gusty Garden Galaxy” (Which I’ve been listening to that a lot in the past week). But then it doesn’t get happy like GGG. It gets louder and angrier. Once the timpani kicks in, I get this sense of dread, like an ancient being is rising out of the ground for the first time in millennia, awoken by a dark, ancient ritual. The horrors of our ancestors are now upon us, and there’s nothing we can do but lose our sanity out of fear of this eldritch darkness that has come to reclaim its world.
… Is this the music that plays when you lose Call of Cthulhu?
Nightblitz: A sinister, majestic, oppressively powerful piece driven by thunderous taiko drums and trumpets. Sudden, unexpected shifts in dynamics and mood contribute to a feeling of awe.

8th:
LightWolf: Gyakuten meets Orchestra - Trials and and Tribulations Epilogue
Oooooooooooh. Ace Attorney orchestrated.
I like Ace Attorney music. It’s at once silly and overly dramatic, and serious and thought-provoking. All in all, it’s a good, versatile soundtrack.
This cover provides a nice, elegant touch to the whole feel. I still feel like the music is trying to both scald me with black coffee and make me logically figure out just what my goddam evidence is, but now it has this ballroom dance feel of elegant courtship and earned triumph. I reeeaaally like that.
LW: A fitting end to the original trilogy, and farewell to the OG creator of the series. Mixes the court suite of T&T with the classic Turnabout Sisters theme, which signifies the final resulution of Maya's <insert name of game>.

7th:
Tman87: Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Cornered ~ Spell-Breaker
Man, I had a good writeup for your Mario Galaxy 2 sub. But hey. Now I got an Ace Attorney track, which, you’ll be pleased to hear, I’ve been playing a lot of recently. And I think it’s safe to say that this scored higher than the Mario Galaxy 2 theme, but not nearly as high as Gusty Garden Galaxy would’ve scored.
… I’m honestly a touch upset that no one subbed Gusty Garden Galaxy.
But, whooooo, that’s an energetic start. I really like the punchy brass, and the trumpet and violin runs really lead well into the organ and string bass melody. I’m just pulsing throughout this entire song. This feels super dramatic, but not at all silly like LW’s sub. It feels confident, but with that knowledge that if we mess up, someone’s life is going to take a very bad turn. I really wish this song lasted a lot longer, cuz I could listen to that for a while. This is Phoenix when he’s at his most professional, and his most dangerous.

I’ve never played anything Professor Layton related.
I prolly should.
Tman: Every Cornered theme in the Ace Attorney series is epic in its own way, but the chiptune sounds of the original trilogy don't allow them to fit in this category. Now, the crossover brought a lot of good stuff with it and notably a reorchestration of some of the most iconic themes of the license. Spell-breaker is a musical banquet where everything points towards the nearing conclusion of a witch trial. It has this aspect of grandeur, if you will.

6th:
Aubisio: Sully Orchestration - Undertale Finale (Epic Orchestra Remix)
Fun Fact: I’ve never played Undertale. But I’ve wanted to for a while. I like how you probably just typed “undertale epic orchestra” into the Youtube search bar and got this.
The song is super intense throughout most of it, but my favorite part is the very end, where only the wavering strings remain to accompany the soft, echoing piano chords. The major chords make me smile. It feels like a naive, innocent, and happy ending. Just my type of ending. :)
This is really nice.

5th:
DaLetterEl: Gundam Unicorn
Wow. First one I judged, and a solid entry. I’m really excited for this cat.
This song feels like one of powerful triumph, but is has those touches of pain and loss. I imagine a scene much like the end of Return of the Jedi. Yes, we have a happy ending, and have cleansed most of the darkness from the universe, but our heroes still reflect on those we’ve lost as the world celebrates around them. Yes, we’ve lost friends. But those friends have made us who we are today, and without them, we wouldn’t have this ending. We’ve all made sacrifices, but in the end, it’s all worth it.
DLE: Gundam Unicorn is one of my favorite anime OSTs ever. Truly epic. The way the orchestra builds up until :42 and then the ultimate reward of the "drop" is musical perfection.

3rd:
Rodan: Clint Mansell - Requiem for a Dream
Oh hey. It’s that song.
Fun Fact: I’ve never seen this movie. BUT. We’ve all heard this song at some time or another. Don’t deny it.
This song takes a darker tone than others, and makes me imagine a lone survivor of a hero’s troupe. He’s lying broken and defeated at the feet of the mortal enemy of the universe. But the hero doesn’t quit. He slinks away, and, over time, takes all of his rage, and pain, and terror, and sorrow, and one day returns to smite this taunting villain. To defeat the evil, he had to become even more evil than the one he was fighting. Now, friendless, pointless, and lost, he laments a former version of himself, and dead version of himself, one with dreams, hopes, and aspirations. That hero is gone. All that’s left is the cruelty of the pain that he inflicts upon his own psyche and onto the world around him. And now, as he laments, he knows that another band of heroes will one day rise up to destroy him and his evil. And he regrets that he must fight them, must try to destroy them, because if he lets them end him, all of his friend’s sacrifices would be in vain. All of his own sacrifices would be in vain. And who will remember his heroic friends after he dies? Nobody. Nobody remembers the villain's henchmen. And now, ever filled with pain, sorrow, and fear, he rises up to defend his memories, the only beautiful things he has left.
Rodan: Saw this movie in HS, always liked the song. the violins kick ass.

2nd:
KnightsOfCydonia: Carl Orff - O Fortuna
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
KOC: You want that awesome fight scene in the movie you're making to be even more awesome? O Fortuna. You want fire and glory and badassery? O Fortuna. You want something that defines the phrase "epic orchestra"? O motherfucking Fortuna.

1st:
Shubaka: Two Steps From Hell - Archangel
Good job, Shub. You were the only one to submit the greatest Epic Orchestra team of all time: Two Steps From Hell.
God, this song.
It makes me want to bang a shield, and charge, yelling, into fantastical melee combat. I can hear, I can see two armies rushing towards each other, each led by a winged demigod. There’s a silence right before the clash, and then boom. The voice kicks in, and the sounds of screams and metal ringing upon metal reach my ears. I look up, and I see these two winged heroes grappling high above the earth. It’s like watching pure, angelic Lucifer and evil, dark-winged Satan clash in a holy ritual of cleansing. My point of view zooms out quickly, as I see two bodies of armies mix and clash, mirroring the two above them. I get enough of a glimpse to know that one of the archangels has fallen to the earth, destroyed, but who won? Good? Or evil?
*shivers*
Plus, the orchestration’s great.
Shub: I went on youtube and looked up the best orchestral song i know that's also super cliche (300 Violin Orchestra) and started going down related songs until i found this kickass band Two Steps From Hell, and their stuff is close enough to LotR to be epic, but not exactly enough to be ez. if you don't get more stuff from these guys, i'll be impressed.
Me: I guess you can be impressed. Me? I'm slightly disappointed. Two Steps from Hell is awesome. Has been for a long time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)