Status
Not open for further replies.
All days are American.
1/11/18- WIP
1/15/18- QC check 1 ready
1/15/18- Implemented
Ghost Cream s amcheck.
1/16/18- QC 1/3 by KevinELF
1/16/18- Implemented KevinELFs check. Ready for QC 2/3.
1/20/18- Eien rejected QC check 2/3. Moving to WIP. It should take about 3 days to get it out.
2/4/18- Forgot to edit but QC 2/3 ready again.
3/6/18- EDITING AF
3/8/18- QC

Ghost
========

*Gengar is the premier choice scarfed revenge killer for ghost, being able to outspeed and OHKO threats such as Choice Scarfed Latias, Tapu Bulu and Terrakion.
*It is able to use a high special attack along with two high BP dual stabs to attack many threats to ghost-type teams by checking
*It uses focus blast for near perfect neutral coverage, and allows it to sometimes get past threats like slower pursuit trappers, such as Tyranitar, and supereffectively attack Dark, a key matchup for Ghost.
*Using Gengar has very low opportunity cost, with almost nothing outclassing it.
*Gengar can remove toxic spikes, which prevents walls such as Jellicent and Mega Sableye to prevent them from taking passive damage. It also provides an immunity to toxic, which also supports the above walls.
*Gengar has mediocre defensive stats, meaning you often need to sack something to switch in safely.
*Gengar's movepool is extremely limited, and thus highly predictable.
*Gengar is easily KOed by common pursuit trappers such as Bisharp, Alolan Muk, and Mega Scizor.

[SET]
name: Scarf Revenge Killer
move 1: Sludge Wave
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Cursed Body
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
*Sludge Wave allows you Gengar to check Fairy-type Pokemon such as Tapu Bulu and Clefable, which are both huge threats to Ghost, and 2HKO Defensive Azumarill.
*Shadow Ball provides STAB coverage, and also does considerable damage to a wide range of threats such as
*Focus Blast provides Fighting-type coverage that allows Gengar to hit various threats for super effective damage, such as Porygon, Bisharp, and Tyranitar.
*Trick cripples utility pokemon such as Mantine and Chansey, forcing them into recovery or utility.

Set Details
========
*Maximum Speed, Timid Nature, and Choice Scarf allow Gengar to reach its maximum speed as a late-game cleaner, allowing Gengar to outspeed the competition, and a timid nature allows Gengar to outspeed a +1 Mega Sharpedo, and speed tie with choice scarf users like Terrakion and Choice-Scarfed Latios, and 252 Special Attack allows Gengar to maximize its extremely high special attack stat.
*The only ability it has access to is Cursed Body, and can lead to a loss of the opposing team's momentum, by disabling the last move used, and thus forces a switch.

Usage Tips
========
*Gengar does best as a revenge killer or a late game cleaner, due to its high speed. Some common threats which it can KO are Tapu Bulu and Mega Sharpedo.
*Gengar typically comes in late-game to finish the match. Do not bring it in too early, as it is very frail and shouldn't be relied-on as a wallbreaker.
*Be careful about choice-locking yourself in to a move when pokemon that are immune are around, as they can use the turn you switch out on to gain momentum. For example, if Gengar is locked in to sludge wave, pokemon like Bisharp can set up a swords dance and sweep.
*Gengar has subpar bulk, so to bring it in, make sure to sack another pokemon, or a to a predicted switch.
*Special walls such as Chansey and Muk Alola, although Gengar can use trick to cripple most of them. You should generally trick when you sense a setup move, a misplay, or any move in the protect family about to be used. Otherwise, attack instead, and save your scarf, because otherwise Gengar could likely be KOed by the opponent's attack.
*When Gengar uses trick and looses its choice scarf, is speed goes down a substantial amount and looses the ability to outspeed Mega Sharpedo and other threats

Team Options
========
*Mimikyu provides great fairy-type physical coverage, and is a top tier setup sweeper for ghost. It checks dark types such as Mega Sableye, or can KO Mandibuzz after Stealth Rock.
*Marowak-Alola sets up stealth rocks which help Gengar KO Mandibuzz and Focus Sashed threats such as Krookodile, and provides more physical coverage.
*Blacephalon provides strong, fast, fire type coverage to hit threats that Gengar can't. Gengar allows Blacephalon to run choice specs, as you no longer need to run a choice scarf.
*Jellicent can wall and do chip damage to a significant portion of the meta, and beats Chansey 1v1; thus making it an ideal partner for cleaners like Gengar.
*Gengar appreciates Mega Sableye as a a partner because it serves as a defensive backbone which can switch into opposing Pokemon that may knock Gengar out, and is able to keep hazards off your side. Mega Sableye can also use Will-O-Wisp and Knock Off to cripple some of Gengar's checks, such as Bisharp. Gengar, in return is able to keep Toxic Spikes off of the field and is able to knock Fairy-type Pokemon such as Tapu Koko out for Mega Sableye.
*Decidueye and Dhelmise can provide support via Defog and Rapid Spin for hazard removal, particularly sticky webs, which effectively remove the boost from Gengar’s scarf and thus the most potent hazard.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
*Thunderbolt is a niche option to hit water types such as Gyarados and Mantine, as they run rampant on Ghost teams if teammates such as Jellicent and Sableye have been KOed.
*Gengar can use Hidden Power Ice to check staples such as Landorus and Gliscor to relieve the pressure from other glass cannons on the team.
*Choice Specs is another option, sacrificing the ability to KO scarfed Latias and Terrakion, but allows Gengar to KO bulkier threats such as Heatran.
*Destiny Bond is an option if you would like to sack Gengar, or get a guaranteed KO on a specific target which can't otherwise be eliminated.
*Life Orb is a niche option which prevents Gengar pursuit trapped, or to avoid being Choice Locked.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Sucker Punch and other priority**: Gengar doesn't appreciate being hit by a sucker punch, and is OHKOed by it from many physical attackers. Aqua Jet and the like isn't as much of an issue, but if it came from a 4x Attack Azumarill, Gengar can't live. Bisharp is one such sucker punch user, while other potent priority abusers are Azumarill and Scizor.

**Immunities**: When you are choice locked into shadow ball (normal/fighting) or sludge wave (steel), the opponent can switch a pokemon with an immunity and gain momentum, which stops Gengar in its tracks by potentially forcing another sack to come in.

**Special Walls**: If Gengar is in 1v1 with a non-passive special wall (If they do reliable damage), or Gengar tricked previously, they easily counter Gengar. Alolan Muk is one such pokemon, with priority, and pursuit, plus large special bulk.

**Pursuit Trappers**: Common Pursuit Trappers like Bisharp and Alolan Muk can easily get a KO on Gengar if they get a surprise switch-in.

**Other faster pokemon**: Even though Gengar is very fast, it can still be outsped and easily KOed by threats such as Choice Scarfed Greninja and Mega Loppuny.

Last edited:
I feel like this is a decent start, so

Ready for QC #1

It may not have all the essentials, but this is all I've come up with.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
All days are American.
1/11/18- WIP
1/15/18- QC check 1 ready

Ghost
========

*Gengar is the premier revenge killers for ghost, with an insaneSpecial Attack stat of 130, and a speed of 110.
*It is able to use high BP dual stabs, and add focus blast for near perfect neutral coverage.
*Using Gengar has very low opportunity cost, with almost nothing outclassing it.
*Being a Ghost-type, it has 2 immunities, normal and fighting.
*Mention how its poison typing grants it Poison STAB and coverage and removes toxic spikes
*Gengar has 60/60/75 bulk, meaning if you can't OHKO the opponent, you probably wont survive most non-resisted hits.
*It is weak to common coverage, with weaknesses of ghost, dark, poison, and ground.
*It lost levitate coming in to gen 7, leaving it with the less useful cursed body.
I don't see a reason to write about Levitate. Maybe write about Cursed Body

[SET]
name: Scarf Revenge Killer
move 1: Sludge Wave
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Cursed Body
nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA/4SpDef/252Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
*Sludge Wave is Gengar's first Poison STAB, and allows you Gengar to beat fairies Fairy-type Pokemon and KO other neutrally hit pokemon.
*Shadow Ball is Gengar's second Ghost STAB and allows Gengar to hit every type bar Dark and Normal with neutral damage.
*Focus Blast completes the trifecta of coverage, and 2HKOs defensive Porygon2. provides Fighting-type coverage that allows Gengar to hit various Normal, Steel, and Dark types for super effective damage, although it can miss at crucial moments.
*Trick cripples utility pokemon such as Mantine, not allowing them to attack. locking them into one move because of Choice Scarf.

Set Details
========
*Maximum Special Attack and Speed, allow Gengar to reach its full potential as a late-game cleaner and revenge killer.
*Choice Scarf allows gengar to outspeed the competition.
*A timid nature allows Gengar to outspeed a +1 Mega Sharpedo. Name other examples of what Timid allows Gengar to speed tie with such as Scarf Latios and Terrakion etc
*The only ability it has access to is Cursed Body, which cripples choice-locked foes.

Usage Tips
========
*Gengar does best as a revenge killer or a late game cleaner.
*Be careful about choice-locking yourself in to a move when pokemon that are immune are around, as they can use the turn you switch out on to gain momentum.
*Never bring gengar in on an attack, because it has horrible bulk.
*Try not to use it against special walls, because Gengar doesn't have the firepower to KO the bulkiest of them special walls such as x, x, x, although Gengar can use trick to cripple most of them.
Mention how Gengar can remove toxic spikes and when to send it in to remove them
Mention how using trick and losing choice scarf can affect Gengar's status as a revenge killer

Team Options
========
*Mimikyu provides great fairy-type physical coverage, and is a top tier setup sweeper for ghost. give examples of what mimikyu checks for gengar such as dark types etc
*Marowak-Alola sets up stealth rocks which help Gengar clean late-game, and provides more physical coverage. mention
*Blacephalon provides strong, fast, fire type coverage to hit threats that Gengar can't. Mention how Blacephalon allows Gengar to run a different set, and how Gengar does the same to Blacephalon.
*Jellicent can wall and do chip damage to a significant portion of the meta, thus making it an ideal partner for cleaners like Gengar.
*Like most offensive Ghost-Type Pokemon, Sableye-Mega Mega Sableye can keep hazards off the field, and disable powerful threats. Gengar appreciates Mega Sableye as a a partner because it serves as a defensive backbone that can switch into opposing Pokemon that may knock Gengar out and is able to keep hazards off. Mega Sableye can also use Will-O-Wisp and Knock Off to cripple some of Gengar's checks. Gengar, in return is able to keep Toxic Spikes off of the field and is able to knock Fairy-type Pokemon such as Tapu Koko out for Mega Sableye.
*Mention how Decidueye can support Gengar by Defogging off hazards

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
*Thunderbolt is a niche option to hit water types such as Gyarados, and the more viable Mantine.
Mention Choice Specs
Coverage options such as Dazzling Gleam and Hidden Power Ice

Checks and Counters
===================

**Sucker Punch and other priority**: Gengar doesn't appreciate being hit by a sucker punch, and is OHKOed by it from physical attackers. Aqua Jet isn't as much of an issue, but if it came from a 4x Attack Azumarill, Gengar can't live. Rephrase this to something like: Many priority users such as x, x, and x are able to pick off Gengar with their priority moves due to its low bulk.

**Normal, Fighting, and Steel-Types while choice locked**: When you are choice locked shadow ball (normal/fighting) or sludge wave (steel), the opponent can switch a pokemon with an immunity and gain momentum.

**Non-Passive Special Walls**: If Gengar is in 1v1 with a non-passive special wall, most walls win. If they do reliable damage, or Gengar tricked previously, it can win. Give some examples of special walls

**Trick Room Ghost teams**: Most trick room ghost teams easily deal with gengar, due to its speedy nature, and most pokemon have the firepower to KO it.
Is Trick Room Ghost really that relevant in USUM?
**Other faster pokemon**: Many pokemon that are faster than Gengar have the means to KO it, such as Greninja and Loppuny-Mega.
AM Check, feel free to change what you agree with. Changes are in bold

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A lot of formatting and grammar mistakes, I suggest you proof read this

Overview:
- The mention of it's immunities seems kinda redundant because it's an analysis for the Ghost set.
- Gengar isn't weak to Poison, but that whole point should be removed personally because Gengar is frail to the point where it's weaknesses arent the only threats.
- Mention a weakness to Pursuit trapping due to it's choice item.

Moves:
- For Sludge Wave, you need to mention the fact that it's Gengar's strongest STAB attack. Can mention how it's able to hit things neutrally, but don't say KO.
- The Shadow Ball description doesn't make sense. Did you forget to finish it? This should be about how its a good secondary STAB that allows Gengar to hit things that resist Sludge Wave such as Ground and Poison-Types.
- Do not talk about Focus Blast's accuracy

Set Details:
- All the points about speed can be summed into one instead of 3 separate ones. Also, it would be Choice Scarf users such as Terrakion and Latios.

Usage Tips:
- Mention playing around Pursuit trappers.
- Talk about removing Toxic Spikes with it.

Team Options:
- Pretty scarce, other Pokemon could be mentioned.

Other Options:
- Life Orb
- Destiny Bond

Checks and Counters:
- Simplify the Normal, Fighting, Steel one to Immunities.
- Special Walls in general, not only non-passive ones.
- Pursuit trappers need a section.
- Bad examples for faster attackers, Lopunny Mega is slower than Choice Scarf and Greninja needs to be specified as Choice Scarf.
- TR Ghost shouldn't be mentioned.

QC 1/3

I believe I entered the QC check, ready for QC 2/3.

There are many grammatical errors because I tried to write this much more quickly than I should've. I am stumped on team options, and I have what I run on my ghost team plus the other two at the bottom.

Last edited:
Okay, so the main issue here is how much these lines are just things I can learn off of serebii or bulbapedia or by using /dt gengar. You're not giving any actual analysis, just reiterating basic information. That's not the sort of thing we want from analyses. KevinELF tried to help with this but it's still not good enough in my opinion.

Here are some examples of what I mean:

*Gengar has 60/60/75 bulk, meaning if you can't OHKO the opponent, you probably wont survive most non-resisted hits.
*Gengar is a poison type, and can remove toxic spikes, and grant poison STAB to hit fairies.
Sludge Wave is Gengar's first Poison STAB, and allows you Gengar to beat fairies Fairy-type Pokemon and KO other neutrally hit pokemon.

Then there's the issue of just not having any detail:

*Because if it’s choice item and weakness to pursuit,
*Gengar can use Hidden Power Ice to hit Gliscor and Landorus.
*Choice Specs lets Gengar hit like a truck.

I'd basically have to rewrite most of this, so I'm rejecting this, sorry.

QC Rejected 1/3

Edited to be more formal and be like an analysis. I have a bunch of GP issues sure to give them nightmares, but I feel like it can be fixed later on.

Eien

Last edited:

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
Looking over this, there's just too much I'd need to change for this to be appropriate for our standards. There's still a lack of details and explanations for why Gengar is used, why you use certain sets and moves, etc., and most of the information provided is still something that a user could find out through the Pokedex, Serebii, or other means. You can always practice writing by using some of the QC team's writing as examples for you, such as Tyke's Cobalion Analysis, and you can continue to ask for help if you wish to try again later on.

QC Rejected 2/3

I am no QC member, but I wanted to go through this with you and offer some of my own advice as someone who’s also been writing analyses for a short amount of time. The analysis seems to lack a lot of crucial information, and most of the information it does have is either unimportant, worded oddly, or just not correct. Here are a few examples of what I mean.

*Gengar is the premier choice scarfed revenge killer for ghost, being able to outspeed and OHKO threats such as Choice Scarfed Latias, Tapu Bulu and Terrakion.
Don’t you mean Latios? In that case, you should clarify as such since I don’t believe Latias ever runs Choice Scarf. Secondly, you should never implement such a shaky check, as its a Speed tie with Latios who is equally as likely to outspeed you and KO you as you are to it. You could change this bullet to say that Gengar is a great revenge killer thanks to its ability to be an excellent user of Choice Scarf, which sounds a lot simpler to the average analysis reader. Here’s another example:

*Gengar can remove toxic spikes, which prevents walls such as Jellicent and Mega Sableye to prevent them from taking passive damage. It also provides an immunity to toxic, which also supports the above walls.
Yes, it’s noteworthy to point out that Gengar does indeed remove Toxic Spikes, but you should definitely preface this with saying something about its Poison typing in itself and how it can be used in other ways, for example as a great sweeper in the Fairy matchup once Klefki is gone and Diancie is weakened.

*It uses focus blast for near perfect neutral coverage, and allows it to sometimes get past threats like slower pursuit trappers, such as Tyranitar, and supereffectively attack Dark, a key matchup for Ghost.
This is actually a very important point, but it’s worded all wrong. Just say Gengar’s coverage hits the entire metagame neutrally (it’s not “near” perfect coverage) and uses moves like Focus Blast to hit problematic Pokemon like Tyranitar and Bisharp.

I think you should take a look at other analyses and draw inspiration from their writing styles. This is what I did when I first began. I know this has been said before but I do strongly recommend that you look at other analyses and just pay attention to how the points are structured and written. This is how I personally learned to make analyses, and I think it would go a long way for you as well. It’s still pretty early in QC but take a look at Moosical ’s Porygon-Z analysis so you can see an example of this. The analysis does a good job of compressing important information and making it brief, yet still informative. Once again, I am not a QC member and you’re free to simply ignore this, but this is just some thoughts after curiously skimming through this. I would honestly try rewritting this from the ground up, and I’m willing to help if you need. You know where I am on Showdown!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)