Gen 4 Gen 4 OU DragMag Team

DragMag is a playstyle typically employed in Gen 5 OU. However, many of the Pokémon used in these DragMag teams, such as Dragonite, Latias, and Magnezone, are also highly viable in Gen 4 and pose significant threats to the metagame, playing a substantial role in shaping it to its current state. With this knowledge in mind, I decided to create a team using this playstyle in the Gen 4 OU metagame. Please feel free to offer suggestions for potential improvements to the team, including adjustments to Pokémon EVs, natures, movesets, and more.

1695693336793.png

Swoop (Aerodactyl) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Stone Edge

Aerodactyl is the lead I decided to use for this team. I wanted to make use of its incredibly high speed of 130, allowing it to set up Stealth Rocks very easily and outspeeding virtually the entire Gen 4 OU metagame. One excellent advantage of Aerodactyl is its ability to use Taunt effectively against leads attempting to set up Stealth Rocks or Spikes on your team. With its 105 Attack stat, it can also deal significant damage to opposing Pokemon with its powerful moves like Earthquake and Stone Edge.

1695693680627.png

Ant-Man (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

For the next Pokémon on the team, I decided to use Scizor due to its considerable bulk and the ability to hit extremely hard when paired with Choice Band. It provides safe switch-ins with U-Turn and can exploit priority moves like Bullet Punch to OHKO Pokémon like Gengar. Additionally, Scizor can take advantage of high-damage moves such as Superpower to punish defensive Pokémon like Clefable and Blissey, as well as use Pursuit to trap Pokémon such as Latias. When considering the team synergy, Scizor pairs well with it because Dragon-type Pokémon resist Fire-type attacks, which addresses one of Scizor's main weaknesses.

1695694310190.png

Cockroach (Flygon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Flygon is an incredibly powerful offensive Pokémon, thanks to its expansive movepool that includes devastating moves like Draco Meteor and Earthquake. It can also utilize U-turn effectively with a Choice Scarf or Choice Band set, allowing for safe switches against opposing Pokémon. However, for this team, I've chosen to take advantage of its ability to run a mixed set. This allows Flygon to make the most of moves like Fire Blast and Draco Meteor, while also using Roost for recovery, turning it into a formidable wallbreaker/sweeper being capable of becoming a huge threat to any team who isn't prepared for it.

1695694756499.png

Nuke (Latias) (F) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Trick

Latias, one of my favorite Pokémon to use in the DPP metagame, pairs with this specific playstyle exceptionally well. It can take advantage of high-damage STAB moves like Draco Meteor, and when equipped with Choice Specs, it becomes incredibly powerful. Latias can handle highly threatening defensive Pokémon with Trick, and with its ability to utilize coverage moves like Surf, it becomes almost clear that it is pretty much a must have on every team.

1695695265152.png

George (Dragonite) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

Dragonite, being an extremely powerful sweeper within the DPP OU metagame, also pairs extremely well with this playstyle. Its ability to utilize Dragon Dance with high damaging stab moves such as Outrage, coverage options such as Earthquake, and priority in Extreme-Speed, make it a must have on this team, especially when you take into account that this is in fact a DragMag team.

1695695511718.png

Supersonic (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave
- Explosion

And for the final Pokemon, AKA the absolute MVP of the team, we have Magnezone. It's ability to take advantage of Magnet Pull to support the Dragon types of the team is magnificent. It's able to take advantage of it's extremely high special attack stat and hit extremely hard, while also providing nice utility in Thunder Wave. Not to mention it also has access to Explosion too. Magnezone takes advantage of Hidden Power [Fire] to deal with extremely threatening Steel type Pokemon such as Skarmory, Scizor, Jirachi, etc.

And with that, that's it for the team. I hope you enjoyed reading this thread! Please leave any suggestions below regarding what i should change about the team and what i could do to make it better.

EDIT: Here's a Poképaste of the team if you guys want it: https://pokepast.es/5a72abb24205f338

Last edited:
I just thought of this just now which could be a viable set (I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned at all in the dex or in any form but it seems like it could be effective):

Scizor @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

The idea behind this set would be to sub on a predictive switch. If the switch in is Skarm, use Knock Off to remove its Shed Shell then U-turn to Mag to trap. It loses the power of CB but it helps the theme of your team in trapping all forms of Skarm. Teams generally opt for Shed Shell if their Skarm is especially crucial to their team, so knocking it off usually gives you a big advantage. Also just knocking off Leftovers on like Heatran, Skarmory, or Jirachi can have a payoff over the course of the match.

With this change you could also go for Choice Scarf on Flygon so you have a stronger fast Pokemon now that you don't have Band BP. It now would have access to U-turn to bait incoming steels and send them straight to Mag. Also it could have an easier time cleaning late game with Shed Shell gone (with all Steels eliminated you can feel a lot more confident just clicking Outrage, especially with the auto +1 speed).

Another idea would be to replace Latias with Kingdra and go for a DD set. This is to focus your Dragon offense entirely on the physical side, in order to put 100% of the pressure on that side. Another idea would be to replace Lati with Jirachi. Probably a variety of sets could work - off the top of my head like Choice Scarf or mixed sets. Choice Scarf Iron Head could clean up late game with Steels gone and/or Leftovers knocked-off by Scizor. Mixed sets could also have the surprise value of running like HP Ground to catch Heatran which seems to be a Steel that Mag can't really deal with. It also could run Grass Knot to destroy Swampert which is a bulky mon that can take a hit from one of your Dragons and OHKO with Ice Beam. For the mixed sets designed to bait these Pokemon you could run like Occa, Shuca, or maybe Expert Belt.

Lastly would be to try Magnet Rise Zone over Choice Scarf. I believe this is because this enables it to reliably trap Bronzong, which the Scarf set cannot.

Just some ideas.

Last edited:
I just thought of this just now which could be a viable set (I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned at all in the dex or in any form but it seems like it could be effective):

Scizor @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

The idea behind this set would be to sub on a predictive switch. If the switch in is Skarm, use Knock Off to remove its Shed Shell then U-turn to Mag to trap. It loses the power of CB but it helps the theme of your team in trapping all forms of Skarm. Teams generally opt for Shed Shell if their Skarm is especially crucial to their team, so knocking it off usually gives you a big advantage. Also just knocking off Leftovers on like Heatran, Skarmory, or Jirachi can have a payoff over the course of the match.

With this change you could also go for Choice Scarf on Flygon so you have a stronger fast Pokemon now that you don't have Band BP. It now would have access to U-turn to bait incoming steels and send them straight to Mag. Also it could have an easier time cleaning late game with Shed Shell gone (with all Steels eliminated you can feel a lot more confident just clicking Outrage, especially with the auto +1 speed).

Another idea would be to replace Latias with Kingdra and go for a DD set. This is to focus your Dragon offense entirely on the physical side, in order to put 100% of the pressure on that side. Another idea would be to replace Lati with Jirachi. Probably a variety of sets could work - off the top of my head like Choice Scarf or mixed sets. Choice Scarf Iron Head could clean up late game with Steels gone and/or Leftovers knocked-off by Scizor. Mixed sets could also have the surprise value of running like HP Ground to catch Heatran which seems to be a Steel that Mag can't really deal with. It also could run Grass Knot to destroy Swampert which is a bulky mon that can take a hit from one of your Dragons and OHKO with Ice Beam. For the mixed sets designed to bait these Pokemon you could run like Occa, Shuca, or maybe Expert Belt.

Lastly would be to try Magnet Rise Zone over Choice Scarf. I believe this is because this enables it to reliably trap Bronzong, which the Scarf set cannot.

Just some ideas.
Thanks for your suggestions and i will definitely take them into account when changing things about the team. Especially the Grass Knot Jirachi Idea since its been a pretty big struggle dealing with it without having to sac one of my mons lol. ill also definitely make sure to try out that scizor set as it actually seems pretty interesting and can for sure help out mag when dealing with skarm.

Thanks for your suggestions and i will definitely take them into account when changing things about the team. Especially the Grass Knot Jirachi Idea since its been a pretty big struggle dealing with it without having to sac one of my mons lol. ill also definitely make sure to try out that scizor set as it actually seems pretty interesting and can for sure help out mag when dealing with skarm.
heres a pokepaste of the team if your interested btw: https://pokepast.es/f8d1018d743b50e5

Jeong

Banned deucer.
The idea of Jirachi Mild nature with Ebelt can be interesting, especially if you manage to remove any version of pert or physical defensive Hippowdon. The problem is that I think that with the support of Shuca Berry it is better. But if you decide to try Mild + Ebelt: 80 Atk / 176 SpA / 252 Spe. You can also take out Flygon with IPunch and Dragonite after SR.

By the way, you can consider Protect or Sub in Magnezone, so you cover yourself better vs Explosion gross or zong. It can also help you by seeing what the opponent will use and take advantage. Well, just another idea. If anything, you would have to sacrifice Twave, which can also be important.

Last edited:
DragMag is a playstyle typically employed in Gen 5 OU. However, many of the Pokémon used in these DragMag teams, such as Dragonite, Latias, and Magnezone, are also highly viable in Gen 4 and pose significant threats to the metagame, playing a substantial role in shaping it to its current state. With this knowledge in mind, I decided to create a team using this playstyle in the Gen 4 OU metagame. Please feel free to offer suggestions for potential improvements to the team, including adjustments to Pokémon EVs, natures, movesets, and more.

View attachment 555578

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Stone Edge

Aerodactyl is the lead I decided to use for this team. I wanted to make use of its incredibly high speed of 130, allowing it to set up Stealth Rocks very easily and outspeeding virtually the entire Gen 4 OU metagame. One excellent advantage of Aerodactyl is its ability to use Taunt effectively against leads attempting to set up Stealth Rocks or Spikes on your team. With its 105 Attack stat, it can also deal significant damage to opposing Pokemon with its powerful moves like Earthquake and Stone Edge.

View attachment 555579
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

For the next Pokémon on the team, I decided to use Scizor due to its considerable bulk and the ability to hit extremely hard when paired with Choice Band. It provides safe switch-ins with U-Turn and can exploit priority moves like Bullet Punch to OHKO Pokémon like Gengar. Additionally, Scizor can take advantage of high-damage moves such as Superpower to punish defensive Pokémon like Clefable and Blissey, as well as use Pursuit to trap Pokémon such as Latias. When considering the team synergy, Scizor pairs well with it because Dragon-type Pokémon resist Fire-type attacks, which addresses one of Scizor's main weaknesses.

View attachment 555580

Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Flygon is an incredibly powerful offensive Pokémon, thanks to its expansive movepool that includes devastating moves like Draco Meteor and Earthquake. It can also utilize U-turn effectively with a Choice Scarf or Choice Band set, allowing for safe switches against opposing Pokémon. However, for this team, I've chosen to take advantage of its ability to run a mixed set. This allows Flygon to make the most of moves like Fire Blast and Draco Meteor, while also using Roost for recovery, turning it into a formidable wallbreaker/sweeper being capable of becoming a huge threat to any team who isn't prepared for it.

View attachment 555581

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Trick

Latias, one of my favorite Pokémon to use in the DPP metagame, pairs with this specific playstyle exceptionally well. It can take advantage of high-damage STAB moves like Draco Meteor, and when equipped with Choice Specs, it becomes incredibly powerful. Latias can handle highly threatening defensive Pokémon with Trick, and with its ability to utilize coverage moves like Surf, it becomes almost clear that it is pretty much a must have on every team.

View attachment 555582

Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

Dragonite, being an extremely powerful sweeper within the DPP OU metagame, also pairs extremely well with this playstyle. Its ability to utilize Dragon Dance with high damaging stab moves such as Outrage, coverage options such as Earthquake, and priority in Extreme-Speed, make it a must have on this team, especially when you take into account that this is in fact a DragMag team.

View attachment 555583

Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave
- Explosion

And for the final Pokemon, AKA the absolute MVP of the team, we have Magnezone. It's ability to take advantage of Magnet Pull to support the Dragon types of the team is magnificent. It's able to take advantage of it's extremely high special attack stat and hit extremely hard, while also providing nice utility in Thunder Wave. Not to mention it also has access to Explosion too. Magnezone takes advantage of Hidden Power [Fire] to deal with extremely threatening Steel type Pokemon such as Skarmory, Scizor, Jirachi, etc.

And with that, that's it for the team. I hope you enjoyed reading this thread! Please leave any suggestions below regarding what i should change about the team and what i could do to make it better.

EDIT: Here's a Poképaste of the team if you guys want it: https://pokepast.es/5a72abb24205f338
I like the idea of this a lot as i've built dragmag in the past too.

View attachment 555578

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Stone Edge

View attachment 555579
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

View attachment 555580

Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Roost

View attachment 555581

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Trick

View attachment 555582

Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

View attachment 555583

Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave
- Explosion

I like this idea a lot as i have built this before. maybe consider sd roost on scizor so u can at least have a pivot into dragons as idt magnezone counts lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)