Gauging Interest in Writing In-Game Guides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers, all! It's been a while since I've posted in these parts :P

So, after some discussions between The Dutch Plumberjack, DHR-107, a number of others, and myself, we've decided to try to bring back C&C Articles. Our primary focus this time around would be creating in-game content, although competitive articles like threat lists and speed tiers would still be allowed. In case anyone's unfamiliar, we have a section on-site dedicated to in-game. At the moment, there's nowhere for people to make more content like that (RNG guides, EV training hotspots, breeding guides, etc., as well as more laid-back stuff like the Voltorb Flip and Join Avenue guides on the OI hub). We'd like to change that, but first we need to see if there's actual interest in creating these types of articles.

Here are a few ideas that would be in a preliminary reservation list, if anyone's interested in tackling one of these topics:
- Sun / Moon RNG guides
- Dream Radar RNG guide

- Battle Tree guide
- In-game tier lists
- Special Ball inheritance guide update
- Breeding guide update
- EV training hotspots
- TM / HM locations
- DexNav chaining guide
- PokeRadar / fish chaining guide
- Berries guide
- In-game feature guides:
-- Contests (RSE / DPP / ORAS)
-- Pokeathlon
-- Pokemon Amie
-- PokePelago
-- etc.

You definitely aren't limited to just those, however, and I'd encourage you to post here (or shoot me a PM if you'd like some feedback first) if you have another topic in mind you'd like to write about. We'd rather not see articles that can be found elsewhere on the internet, unless we're going to cover them in some significantly better way. Other than that, you can get a bit creative. To give you some more ideas, a few articles I plan on writing are Mechanical Changes Through the Gens, RBY OU Threat List, and eventually Competitively Relevant RBY Glitches (I'd want to do some more research and testing on this one first.) We also plan on getting those in-game tier lists finally finished and on-site.

About the RNG guides: there's definitely more games to cover, but right now we're avoiding generation 6 RNG due to the need to mod your 3DS and install CFW to perform it. This also goes for stuff like Colosseum and Pokemon XD RNG, which are also not feasible on retail and require pirating. Once we've figured out a way to present the topics without promoting acts of piracy, we'll allow those articles.

Some of these are large topics to tackle, so collaborations are encouraged. Writing these types of articles would lead to the Pre-Contributor
and Contributor
badges (the exact requirements are still being worked out). Before any of this can happen, however, we need to see some genuine interest. C&C Articles was closed in the past due to inactivity, and it won't reopen unless there's a good amount of us willing to actually use it again.

So, if you'd like to reserve one of the articles above, or write about something else in-game related, this is the time to post. If you'd like to help out somehow but aren't sure what to write, that's fine, too. Posting just that will help others find potential collaborators and can still get this going. This could be a cool opportunity for us cartridge players to create some valuable resources for each other, so let's make it happen ^.^

Last edited by a moderator:

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd love to write about the Pelago. I'm familiar with all 5 islands and used it regularly, even without the Glitch.

Could I reserve doing a slightly more general guide to raising competitive VGC Pokemon in Sun/Moon? In particular, with the loss of Super Training, making precise EV spreads is a lot more difficult, so having some tips and tricks would be quite helpful.

Eisenherz

επέκεινα της ουσίας
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd be interested in writing guides for SM RNG Breeding as well as DexNav, I have quite a lot of experience with both. I'm not sure if you'd want a separate guide about RNG breeding in SM, since it's pretty different from encounter RNG, or if you'd rather make it a subsection of a larger guide, but in any case I'd be down to write that!

Could I reserve doing a slightly more general guide to raising competitive VGC Pokemon in Sun/Moon? In particular, with the loss of Super Training, making precise EV spreads is a lot more difficult, so having some tips and tricks would be quite helpful.
Absolutely. EV Training guides and the like are definitely something we're looking for. I'll PM you if the forum gets approved :3

I'd love to write about the Pelago. I'm familiar with all 5 islands and used it regularly, even without the Glitch.
Sounds good! I'll PM you if the forum goes live~
I'd be interested in writing guides for SM RNG Breeding as well as DexNav, I have quite a lot of experience with both. I'm not sure if you'd want a separate guide about RNG breeding in SM, since it's pretty different from encounter RNG, or if you'd rather make it a subsection of a larger guide, but in any case I'd be down to write that!
It depends on how much you plan to write, but I'd say just use your judgment on if the RNG guides should 2 articles or just 1. If it's going to be super lengthy, breaking it up makes more sense, but you can always tackle the first section and make the call from there. Either way, I'll approve these and add you the PM if the forum gets approved ^.^

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
I could do a general EV training guide that covers R/S up to S/M (and US/UM once they're out), if no one has volunteered for that yet? & while it's not high priority atm, I could also do some Gen III RNG guides once we get around to that.

I could do a general EV training guide that covers R/S up to S/M (and US/UM once they're out), if no one has volunteered for that yet? & while it's not high priority atm, I could also do some Gen III RNG guides once we get around to that.
We have a decent amount of articles here already, and someone reserved an SM EV Guide in the OI thread. Though, if you'd like to do an EV training guide for Gen 5 or Gen 6 (or even tackle both articles), that'd be fly.

Okay, so, my memory's kinda hazy on NTR-less Gen 7 RNG, but I know you guys would want to avoid stuff like Solgaleo/Lunala, the starters, or even Transporter RNG until you've figured out how to tackle CFW. That aside, I would be interested in writing guides but I would be heavily restricted due to my significantly greater knowledge of Gen 7 RNG with NTR. I can also provide ingame screenshots with Luma if you don't want potato-quality photography.

Last edited:
I have a dexnav guide that I never finished. It has pretty much everything covered except the chaining itself. I would like some pointers and feedback on how to improve the article. Also, I wouldn't be against a collab if das_eisenherz is interested in helping.

link to the guide is in my sig.

Okay, so, my memory's kinda hazy on NTR-less Gen 7 RNG, but I know you guys would want to avoid stuff like Solgaleo/Lunala, the starters, or even Transporter RNG until you've figured out how to tackle CFW. That aside, I would be interested in writing guides but I would be heavily restricted due to my significantly greater knowledge of Gen 7 RNG with NTR. I can also provide ingame screenshots with Luma if you don't want potato-quality photography.
In that case, I'd recommend contacting das_eisenherz and seeing how you could possibly help out or collaborate with him.
I have a dexnav guide that I never finished. It has pretty much everything covered except the chaining itself. I would like some pointers and feedback on how to improve the article. Also, I wouldn't be against a collab if das_eisenherz is interested in helping.

link to the guide is in my sig.
Snazzy. Yeah, sounds like teaming up with das would be the best course of action, then.

If you'd like to help out somehow but aren't sure what to write, that's fine, too. Posting just that will help others find potential collaborators and can still get this going.
Count me in this category, I guess. I haven't really written anything beyond some stuff for in game tier lists but I'd be happy to give writing these articles a go.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've been thinking about doing a revamp of the Colosseum in-game tier list. The current one is kind of bare bones with its write-ups and some of the Pokémon rankings could do with a little rearrangement.

The only problem is that I'm not sure if I can commit to running a project like that due to IRL stuff. I can definitely help out because I've played the game recently-ish (though I didn't finish because our GameCube is currently in my sister's possesion) and still have my old guide book for it.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
school is starting up soon but i still think this looks fun and useful, so i'd like it if this was a thing

one question: do we have to test everything out in-game or can we use resources like bulbapedia? asking bc manually obtaining every berry for a berry guide (for example) sounds incredibly tedious, like getting hp fighting on a genderless mon without the proper ditto level tedious.

Eisenherz

επέκεινα της ουσίας
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
In that case, I'd recommend contacting das_eisenherz and seeing how you could possibly help out or collaborate with him.
Oh, what Djura is offering to write about is actually encounter RNG, which's process is vastly different from the breeding RNG I offered to write about. In my opinion, it would be worth making them two separate guides because of how different they are (also, one is much more beginner-friendly than the other).

Oh, what Djura is offering to write about is actually encounter RNG, which's process is vastly different from the breeding RNG I offered to write about. In my opinion, it would be worth making them two separate guides because of how different they are (also, one is much more beginner-friendly than the other).
Ok, I thought you were looking to cover both topics. If you just want to cover breeding, that's cool.

In that case, your article sounds good, Djura, though you should keep an eye out for possible collaborators if you're unsure about some stuff. I'll add you to the PM if we're approved~

I've been thinking about doing a revamp of the Colosseum in-game tier list. The current one is kind of bare bones with its write-ups and some of the Pokémon rankings could do with a little rearrangement.

The only problem is that I'm not sure if I can commit to running a project like that due to IRL stuff. I can definitely help out because I've played the game recently-ish (though I didn't finish because our GameCube is currently in my sister's possesion) and still have my old guide book for it.
Sounds cool, though we probably shouldn't go too overboard on descriptions. I agree that more than a sentence would be good, though. This sort of project would probably be best as a collaboration anyway, so if someone else is up for organizing it, that'd be awesome.
school is starting up soon but i still think this looks fun and useful, so i'd like it if this was a thing

one question: do we have to test everything out in-game or can we use resources like bulbapedia? asking bc manually obtaining every berry for a berry guide (for example) sounds incredibly tedious, like getting hp fighting on a genderless mon without the proper ditto level tedious.
Using outside resources as a reference should be fine so long as you're not outright plagiarizing. You should be verifying as much as you can on-cart, however, as sources like those have been proven wrong in the past. Remember that articles should be offering at least some information that's not easily found in other guides on the internet, too.

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Oh I'd like to reserve for EV training! (If that's how this works). I have 5+ boxes of self-EV trained Pokemon in SM so I'd say I'm pretty knowledgeable in this area. Also I'd like to reserve breeding as well since the majority of said Mons in my PC have been bred by me.

I'm really interested in joining in so I really like to do the Pokeradar/ chain fishing guide. Is it okay though since I only experience XY pokeradar not DPP one.

I'm really interested in joining in so I really like to do the Pokeradar/ chain fishing guide. Is it okay though since I only experience XY pokeradar not DPP one.
Yeah, we already have a DPP Chaining Guide, so if you'd like to just focus on Poke Radar / chain fishing in gen 6 for an article, that'd be fine. I'll include you in the PM if this forum goes through :3

Oh I'd like to reserve for EV training! (If that's how this works). I have 5+ boxes of self-EV trained Pokemon in SM so I'd say I'm pretty knowledgeable in this area. Also I'd like to reserve breeding as well since the majority of said Mons in my PC have been bred by me.
We might be set on EV training with lucariomaster2's article (maybe see if he's up for collaborating?), though an SM breeding guide would definitely be chill. I'll approve you for the latter and add you to the PM if the forum goes through~

Raidx what would you want to cover in your article? I was planning for mine to briefly go over all of the steps to getting a VGC ready Pokemon on-cart, but go into particular detail about training specialized/exact EV spreads. I'd be open to do a collab if you wanted to detail the breeding portion of it, though! :)

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Raidx what would you want to cover in your article? I was planning for mine to briefly go over all of the steps to getting a VGC ready Pokemon on-cart, but go into particular detail about training specialized/exact EV spreads. I'd be open to do a collab if you wanted to detail the breeding portion of it, though! :)
Since Jellicent said they had you covered for the EV training bit, I planned on covering breeding in general. Things like getting started in breeding, what items are needed, how to get such items, genders etc, just anything breeding pretty much lol. I'd be glad to help in any other ways though if need be :) BTW this is my first time contributing on here so I don't have any experience with how this all works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)