Walrus Exploudit's Walrus

Hey there! I've always been into music, so Wynaut?! But since my music taste is very restricted. I contacted some Pokémon to help me better judge your music taste. Either way, here's how the score system will work:
The Rules

• Main Score
    • So for every single category, I'll give you a completely biased score ranging from 0 to 10. This scoring doesn't care at all about the category, all it cares is wether or not I like the song.
  • Category Score
    • So each category a different Pokémon will help me out. This score only judges how the song is related to the category, now matter how bad or how good I find the song to be. Ranges from 0 to 10 once again.
  • Overall Score
    • The overall score is the one that counts at the end of the day, it is created by multiplying the Main Score and the Category Score and taking the square root. So if you cat-failed or you simply posted a god awful track, you're getting a zero here anyway. Let me explain with an example: I get a 9 in Main Score but a 4 in Category Score, then I'll get a 6 here!
  • Bonus Points
    • There are two ways to score a Bonus Point. The first one is by sending me a track I've never heard before, even if you did get a 0 in the Overall Score, you can change that 0 to a 1. Using my 6 example, if it's a brand new track for me, it will turn into a 7.
    • The other way to gain a Bonus Point is by making all Pokémon happy. If you get at least a 5 in every single Category Score all the friendly Pokémon will help you out by giving you one last bonus point.
  • Throwaway Score
    • Since this Walrus may be a little tougher, everyone's two lowest scores won't count, so you have two opportunities to fail without losing anything.
Here's how the scores will be given:

0-1 - Fiasco
1-2 - Insignificant
2-3 - Awful
3-4 - Bad
4-5 - Mediocre
5-6 - Average
6-7 - Good
7-8 - Awesome
8-9 - Outstanding
9-10 - Masterpiece

Additionally, to avoid ties, any two songs that get thrown into the same score will be ordered on quality. So for intance, if only one person scores 6-7, their score will be 6.5. If two people score 6-7, the better one will net a 6.75 and the worse one a 6.25, if three people score 6-7, the better one will score a 6.83, the middle one a 6.5, and the worse one a 6.17. This applies both to my biased rating, as well as to the cat's unbiased rating.

So I know the scoring system is a little too complicated, but you'll for sure get it along the way! Here are the categories:
The Categories
Each Category also has an example song alongside it. Should you copy the example song you get an easy zero.

Cat #1 - Throwback Time!

Send me a track at least 10 years old.

Cat #2 - Remix Realm!

Send a track that remixes or samples another song.

Cat #3 - Creative Tune!

Send me a track that you feel is innovative and fresh.

Cat #4 - Welcome to the Future!

Send me a track that gives a futuristic vibe or something.

Cat #5 - Friendly Song!

Send me a track that talks about friendship.

Cat #6 - Lovely Lyrics!

Send me a track that talks about love.

Cat #7 - Summertime!

Send me a track that reminds you of summer.

Cat #8 - Black Cat!

Send me a song that gives a dark vibe.

Cat #9 - Spooky!

Send me a track that is too spooky for me.

Cat #10 - Rest and Relaxation!

Send me a track that should be used to chill.

Cat #11 - It's lit!

Send me a track that would make a crowd go wild in a gig!

The Judge
I, Exploudit, am a Brazillian 16 year old who absolutely loves music! However, there are a couple of songs you shouldn't send me at all if you don't want to nab a big fat zero:
  • Brazillian Samba / Pagode
  • Brazillian Axé
  • Brazillian Funk
  • Brazillian Sertanejo
So overall, you can send me Brazillian stuff but don't expect me to like it. If it doesn't classify as any of the four above you might get a decent score. There's one little exception to this rule though, there's one Brazillian genre I absolutely love, if you can figure it out you might get some 10s across the board.
  • Tryhard Pop
  • Heavy Metal
  • Country
  • Angry / Sad songs
Also don't send me these. Please. But let's move on to what I like, I won't say I like this, this, and this, because I feel it gives it away and the game kind of loses it's premise, but anything groovy, synthy, with good basslines, or jazzy should work. I do have to talk a bit about some specific genres:
  • Electronic Dance Music
    • This one is a high-risk high-reward genre. Why you may ask? Simply because I love some EDM genres whereas I hate others. I won't specify which ones I like and which ones I don't so good luck figuring that out :)
  • Rap
    • I'm gonna be honest, this probably won't score too well. I've never been a big rap fan, but depending on the rap you may get a good score from it, if your rap sounds groovy or has some bass in the beats it might get a decent score.
  • Rock
    • I'm not a huge Rock fan either, but if you send me something interesting, light, and unique, you'll for sure get rewarded. Just don't send me Metal or anything the same 4 chords through the entire song.
  • Jazz
    • Pretty simple, don't overthink it, but don't underthink it. Anything remotely jazzy will nab you a decent score. This is kind of a low-risk average-reward kind of genre.
So that's all you need to know. Now simply reply with an 'in' to join this Walrus. Sign-ups and submissions will end Saturday 6th at noon BRST (-2)

Last edited:
Aladyyn
Granny Pie
Da Letter El
Ludicrousity
LucarioOfLegends

Cats #1, #2, and #3 will be happening on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, respectively, so make sure you guys send me your music via Smogon PM before then. I'd also like to better inform you guys on how scoring will work:

0-1 - Fiasco
1-2 - Insignificant
2-3 - Awful
3-4 - Bad
4-5 - Mediocre
5-6 - Average
6-7 - Good
7-8 - Awesome
8-9 - Outstanding
9-10 - Masterpiece

Additionally, to avoid ties, any two songs that get thrown into the same score will be ordered on quality. So for intance, if only one person scores 6-7, their score will be 6.5. If two people score 6-7, the better one will net a 6.75 and the worse one a 6.25, if three people score 6-7, the better one will score a 6.83, the middle one a 6.5, and the worse one a 6.17. This applies both to my biased rating, as well as to the cat's unbiased rating.

If you still don't understand how the scoring works, just submit your songs and I'll figure it out later!

Cat #1

At last place, Da Letter El, Granny Pie, and LucarioOfLegends scored a 0 for not sending me any songs.
Judges' Input said:
There's still time to send your music, Cat #2 will be revealed tommorow and since two scores are throwaways, you'll most likely be able to recover from not sending a music for Meowth!
At eight place: Robert Alfons scored a 5.743 for sending me Azuma Kabuki Musicians - Dojoji
2.25 / 10
10 / 10
Final Score: 5.743
Exploudit said:
A decade is old enough for me, a thousand decades may be a little too old, sorry...
Meowth said:
Over a decade old? 10/10!
At seventh place: Lectrys scored a 6.244 for sending me Taiko: Drum Master - Taiko March
2.75 / 10
10 / 10
Final Score: 6.244
Exploudit said:
I've never been a big fan of march-type songs, but this one in particular has a very weird structure, and I just don't really dig it. Sending Video Game Music is very much fine, but I'm just not a fan of this one at all.
Meowth said:
At sixth place: Steven Snype scored a 7.423 for sending me Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove
4.125 / 10
10 / 10
Final Score: 7.423
Exploudit said:
I should have specified in the OP that I was refering to groove on more of a EDM and Jazz standpoint, grooviness can be very biased sometimes, I feel. As for the song, it's not bad at all, it just doesn't quite fit my style, you know what I mean?
Meowth said:
At fifth place: Earlio scored a 7.614 for sending me OutKast - Hey Ya
4.375 / 10
10 / 10
Final Score: 7.614
Exploudit said:
Not much to say on this one, it's just not really my style.
Meowth said:
At fourth place: Aladyyn scored a 7.801 for sending me Gob - Banshee Song
4.625 / 10
10 / 10
Final Score: 7.801
Exploudit said:
This exceeded my expectations, good job!
Meowth said:
At third place: Walrein scored a 7.982 for sending me Yes - Starship Trooper
4.875 / 10
10 / 10
Final Score: 7.982
Exploudit said:
It's not a track I would listen to, but it's definitely somewhat pleasing to my ears :)
Meowth said:
At second place place: MyNameIsNothing scored a 8.906 for sending me The Chemical Brothers - Star Guitar
6.25 / 10
10 / 10
Final Score: 8.906
Exploudit said:
Might be a tad bit repetitive, but it's a pretty good track. You know the way.
Meowth said:
At second place place: Ludicrousity scored a 9.216 for sending me Yvan & Dan Daniel - Enjoy The Silence
6.75 / 10
10 / 10
Final Score: 9.216
Exploudit said:
Not my favorite style of EDM, but it definitely made the cut. Great job on the 1st place fren :V
Meowth said:
Here's a link to the spreadsheet! Cat #2 will be revealed tommorow, same time :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)