SM OU dude, where's your umbrella?

Bulky Offensive Rain Team

Rainy times calls for staying inside and watching Spongebob re-runs all day. Rain teams, with the introduction of Mega-Swampert have been rampant and this team is no exception. I have found great success with this team, but haven't found that oomph yet too make this team unified. Any constructive criticism will be appreciated.

Thundurus-Therian @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Nasty Plot

Thundurus-T breaks walls. You know how in Spongebob when Spongebob ate the pie and Squidward was like ohshoot I gotta make his life worth it, and at the end he built a brick wall between them? And then spongebob blew a bubble and it was a bomb and broke the wall? Thundurus-T is that bomb. He's mainly there to set up Mega-Swampert to sweep.
He get's a free switch in on walling Pokémon and breaks them down. He's mainly for Toxapex,

+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex: 450-530 (148 - 174.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Tangrowth especially since Tangrowth is a physically defensive beast Mega Swampert mostly,
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Acid Downpour (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 596-702 (147.5 - 173.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And especially Ferrothorn who walls Mega-Swampert completely.
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 432-512 (122.7 - 145.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn

I'm just going to say that pelipper was pretty much was to be expected to be on a rain team LOL. This is a classic defensive set. Dual stab to hit hard, 100% Hurricane and Rain Boosted Scald can deal good Damage. Having a slow U-Turn is good to give Mega-Swampert a free switch in.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Rain Dance

I'm going to let you know that Mega-Pert doesn't use Anchor Arms. He does lift. Adamant over Jolly to 2HKO most of the metagame. Rain Dance > Stealth Rock just because I have a rocker. Swampert is meant to clean teams, and breaking down walls is what my team is meant to do. To set up for this big guy.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 20 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Smack Down/Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Landorus-T is my defensive mon, rocker, and my best snail racer. Classic defensive set helps take hits that mega swampert doesn't want. A good pivot to bring on physical pokemon, get the intimidate, to just pivot out into Swampert. Smack Down for coverage but HP Ice can hit opposing Landorus. The 20 Spe is to outpace 16 Spe Landorus.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Greninja Battle Bond is so good. He's my special Sweeper to take out most physically defensive > specially defensive mons. I'm considering HP Fire > Hydro Pump for Ferrothorn since after rocks it's a OHKO not in rain. Water Shrunken is for Priority and to hit multiple times for Subs and Mimikyu's. He's also a late game cleaner.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 4 SpA / 120 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Toxic/Protect

Celesteela is my most replaceable mon. It's my specially defensive wall that can't be touched by a good portion of pokemon. Leech Seed and Leftovers provide it a reliable source of recovery. Flamethrower to hit steel types, and flash cannon for fairies, and the occasional SpD drop.

Threats:

Scarfed Keldeo:
Considering running Jolly Swampert just to outpace it. Even Still I can't OHKO. Keldeo outspeeds my whole team and deals a huge chunk or OHKO's my pokemon with rain boosted Hydro pump.
Unaware Clefable/Tangrowth Core: Thundurus-T can only nuke one of these and makes the other one harder to deal with. Sludge Wave can 2HKO Clefable but without Thundurus it makes my life incredibly harder.

Considerations:

I considered Ferrothorn over Celesteela since rain can help with the fire weakness, and Ferrothorn also isn't weak to Electricity. (Checks Koko) I chose Celesteela for the special bulk.

ANY CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM WILL BE APPRECIATED THANK YOU.

Hey there,

I like your team, the structure is good and I have a few suggestions that could help make it better.

I think your team struggles with stall.

--->
I feel Thundurus-T's role not optimal, first because of his speed tier and secondly because running hidden power fire under rain really diminishes it's utility. I think physical atk thundurus can help you with that with his greater speed and his way to help you against stall. With Flynium-Z it can break through a lot of mons like Latios, Tangrowth for instance. It also has a surprise factor and knock off and superpower helps you break through chansey, ferrothorn and gengar quite well. The best part is to use defiant on a predicted defog or intimidate to double your attack. You can either run it 100% atk or mixed.

Thundurus (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive/Jolly Nature
- Thunder/Wild Charge
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Fly

---> I'm not really sure about the true impact of rain dance, I find power-up punch to be a better move as it can help you sweep more effectively

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch

--->
I don't really see the added value of celesteela in this team. I think scarfed latias to be a good addition as it is a good revenge killer whether rain is up or not. It is also a good answer against keldeo, and lastly can be a win condition with a well used healing wish

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

---> With Latias being your defogger here, you can replace this move on Peliper with Roost which will give him a much better longevity and more opportunities to set-up rain

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Last advice, don't run hidden power fire on your greninja as you mentioned, it's already not the best move on Ash-Greninja and under rain it's even worse

Hope this could help you mate :)

Last edited:
Instead of your 6th mon what about tapu koko it is fast and in the rain you have 100% thunder. It will also help against your Keldeo problem. I recommend something like
Tapu koko Life Orb
  • Thunder
  • Dazzling gleam (coverage)
  • Hp ice (for those pesky ground types
  • Taunt/natures madness/grass knot (this move is Mainly preference or to stop a big threat)
  • As for Evs and Ivs and nature +speed -attack and 252 spA 251 speed 4 def/hp/spD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)