DP Claydol

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
My favorite Claydol set that I used the moment the UU Ladder was released. People who faced me then (for some reason my CRE and Rating were reduced back to the beginning though ?_?) know how effective this was in leading for and supporting UU sweeping behemoths like SD Leafeon, Mix Sharpedo, Mix Manectric, Mix Rapidash, and Nidoking.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/claydol

[SET]
name: Supporting Lead
move 1: Explosion
move 2: Reflect
move 3: Light Screen
move 4: Stealth Rock
item: Lum Berry / Light Clay
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set utilizes Claydol's impressive defenses and impressive support move pool in order effectively promote a UU sweep. The reason the common attacking moves on Claydol, Earthquake / Earth Power and Ice Beam, and the common supporting move, Rapid Spin, are ignored here is because this set's purpose is solely to promote a sweep, and not to prevent / stop any specific Pokemon or strategy.</p>

<p>Explosion as the attacking move allows Claydol to set up and simulateously deal massive damage while giving a team member a "free" switch in. Stealth Rock is generally chosen first, as its consistent 12.5% damage on the switch + negation of Focus Sash is vital for many sweepers, and it allows more turns for Light Screen or Reflect to support the team if it is picked first. Light Screen is chosen if setting up a special defensively weak sweeper like Leafeon is desired. Reflect is chosen is setting up a physical defensively weak sweeper like Altaria is desired. Again, Rapid Spin is ignored because it merely stops Stealth Rock, Spikes or Toxic Spikes from damaging your sweepers; it doesn't directly promote the sweep as much as surviving a direct attack due to the screens does.</p>

<p>The item decision is based solely on situational preferences. If the common UU leads are leading with sleep inducing attacks, Lum Berry is an option. However, if status is not a concern, Light Clay can be chosen in order increase the duration of the screens. The EV spread is a typical defensive spread with an emphasis on Claydol's higher defensive stat, Special Defense, because special Water and special Grass moves are more common than physical Bug or physical Water moves.</p>

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set utilizes Claydol's impressive defenses and (double impressive is redundant, deleted) support move pool in order to effectively promote a UU sweep. The reason the common attacking moves on Claydol: Earthquake / Earth Power and Ice Beam, and the common supporting move, Rapid Spin, are ignored here is because this set's purpose is solely to promote a sweep, (deleted and) not to prevent or stop any specific Pokemon or strategy.</p>

<p>Explosion (deleted, wordy/unnecessary) allows Claydol (he isn't really setting up with Explosion, deleted) to deal massive damage while giving a team member a "free" switch in. Stealth Rock is generally Claydol's first move during battle, as its consistent 12.5% damage on the switch and negation of Focus Sash are vital for many sweepers, and it allows more turns for Light Screen or Reflect to support the team if it is picked first (how does it allow more turns for support? Maybe delete). Light Screen is used to set up a sweeper with low Special Defense, such as Leafeon. Reflect is chosen if setting up a physical defensively weak sweeper like Altaria is desired. Again, Rapid Spin is ignored because it merely stops Stealth Rock, Spikes or Toxic Spikes from damaging your sweepers, whereas the screens promote a sweep by allowing the sweeper to survive a direct attack.</p>

<p>The item decision is based solely on situational preference. Lum Berry allows Claydol to shrug off sleep-inducing moves from common leads such as Persian. However, if status is not a concern, Light Clay can be used in order to increase the duration of the screens. The EV spread is a typical defensive spread that emphasizes Claydol's higher defensive stat, Special Defense, because special Water and Grass attacks are more common than physical Bug or Water attacks.</p>
Changes and such in bold.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This set utilizes Claydol's impressive defenses and impressive support move pool in order to effectively promote a UU sweep.
Forgot "to".

are ignored here is because this set's purpose is solely to help set up a sweep,
Saying "Promote a sweep" twice, especially in 2 successive sentences is awkward.

Couldn't it have a different option other than explosion for more passive players who would like to bring in claydol later to set up the screens?

I think Earth Power would help a lot with Steelix and Ninetails running about, both of whom would definitely try to status Steelix. You could even try Psychic for Hitmontop.

Explosion as the only option bothers me, especially when this isn't ou metagame and you sweeps can be shut down easily.

Lum Berry should always be the option imo just because of how common persian, rapidash, and drifblim are as leads. I guess mentioning light clay is alright, but with all the fast sleepers out there, I would prefer to have a bit more safety (especially when SR is so important in UU).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)