Resource Doubles Overview, Rules, and Q&A - Ask Questions Here! (Resource Index Inside)

I was going to get into DOU and I was wondering what's a good mon for forming a core with Aegislash and how would one support this core?
Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Paraplegic

relax...
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
what are good stall/wall options for doubles ou?
As far as "stall" options go, they're pretty unviable in a doubles setting due to different factors such as being able to double target mons and stall mons being a huge momentum suck in such a momentum heavy format. As for "walls", there's some stuff like ferrothorn, tapu fini, celesteela, and amoonguss, all of which are really viable due to offering so much more to a team then just walling things.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I was going to get into DOU and I was wondering what's a good mon for forming a core with Aegislash and how would one support this core?
Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield
This is somehow one month old and was never answered which probably doesn't reflect very well on us as a community or on the activity of this forum, but hi! Welcome to DOU.

Past that rough start, Aegislash is a pretty weird Pokemon in the current format, since it gets chunked heavily by arguably one of the biggest threats in the format: Marshadow hits it for upwards of 80%-90% with a Life Orb and 60%-70% without (and 100% with its Z-Move). Tapu Koko is an alright pairing with Aegislash in this respect since it can outrun and deal similar amounts of damage to Marshadow, though the stacked Ground-type weakness makes you vulnerable to a well-played Landorus-T despite Aegislash's access to Wide Guard. Other considerations are Tapu Fini, which beats Marshadow and Landorus-T but amplifies Aegislash's sluggish pace and doesn't take advantage of Wide Guard well due to its passive role (unless you run Specs Fini o_o). You could also pair Aegislash with Intimidate users like (Mega-)Salamence, which appreciates Aegislash's ability to stay in on and chunk most Steel-types with its Z-Move before it cleans up with either a DD set or a mixed Hyper Voice set, or even your own Landorus-T, which checks (non-HP Ice) Marshadow and Landorus-T to some degree too.

Overall, while I think Ferrothorn is a better fit on most teams, more offensive cores like Tapu Koko + Kyurem-B / Mega Salamence may appreciate Aegislash's ability to deal more damage on neutral targets. Hope I answered your question and the one month delay hasn't put you off x_x!

This is somehow one month old and was never answered which probably doesn't reflect very well on us as a community or on the activity of this forum, but hi! Welcome to DOU.

Past that rough start, Aegislash is a pretty weird Pokemon in the current format, since it gets chunked heavily by arguably one of the biggest threats in the format: Marshadow hits it for upwards of 80%-90% with a Life Orb and 60%-70% without (and 100% with its Z-Move). Tapu Koko is an alright pairing with Aegislash in this respect since it can outrun and deal similar amounts of damage to Marshadow, though the stacked Ground-type weakness makes you vulnerable to a well-played Landorus-T despite Aegislash's access to Wide Guard. Other considerations are Tapu Fini, which beats Marshadow and Landorus-T but amplifies Aegislash's sluggish pace and doesn't take advantage of Wide Guard well due to its passive role (unless you run Specs Fini o_o). You could also pair Aegislash with Intimidate users like (Mega-)Salamence, which appreciates Aegislash's ability to stay in on and chunk most Steel-types with its Z-Move before it cleans up with either a DD set or a mixed Hyper Voice set, or even your own Landorus-T, which checks (non-HP Ice) Marshadow and Landorus-T to some degree too.

Overall, while I think Ferrothorn is a better fit on most teams, more offensive cores like Tapu Koko + Kyurem-B / Mega Salamence may appreciate Aegislash's ability to deal more damage on neutral targets. Hope I answered your question and the one month delay hasn't put you off x_x!
Thanks! The one month delay isn't a big deal, as long as i got an answer I'm happy. There seems to be many options, and this is gonna be tough. I'll likely try most of these out.

Hi Smogon Community (french guy speaking, sorry for mistakes),

I have a question about a move : "Stomping Tantrum". I saw in few teams that this move is sometimes used (stakataka, metagross for exemple). But, these pokemon can learn earthquake which seems to me more efficient. The move doesn't work with protect, so I can't understand why it's used. The conditions to activate the double power seems very rare to come in game. Can someone explain if I am missing something ?

Hi Smogon Community (french guy speaking, sorry for mistakes),

I have a question about a move : "Stomping Tantrum". I saw in few teams that this move is sometimes used (stakataka, metagross for exemple). But, these pokemon can learn earthquake which seems to me more efficient. The move doesn't work with protect, so I can't understand why it's used. The conditions to activate the double power seems very rare to come in game. Can someone explain if I am missing something ?
I myself am very inexperienced with doubles, but I'm pretty sure Stomping Tantrum is sometimes used because EQ hits allies as well as the enemies and since EQ is a spread move, its damage is reduced when hitting multiple enemies. Hope this helps!

Hi, quick question. On which criterion some pokémons of the Uber are playable in DOU? I'm talking about mega-banned, fabulous like Marshadow, Deoxys-A or Shaymin-S, etc. I suppose there is a basic criterion that de facto prohibits pokémons with a total of statistics greater than 670 (fat legendarys like Mewtwo, Groudon, Solgaleo or Necrozma-Dawn Wings; Kyurem-B and Hoopa-U seem to be exceptions). But is it very rigorous? Reshiram or Zekrom for example would they be really too strong for this format? Among the legendary abandoned, there are some other candidates: an incalculable number of types of Arceus (Rock, Fighting, Bug ...), Giratina or Palkia. Are they really more broken in DOU than monsters like Hoopa-U, Tapu Lele or Zygarde?

laptops

everything is beautiful
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi, quick question
Just like in ou all cover legends and mons with a base stat total 670 and higher are auto banned. So, yes mons like zekrom and any arceus form would be too strong for the format and will likely never be unbanned. Bans in the tier operate independently of singles tiers, but happen in the same way. So Pokemon are only Ubers because they are too powerful in OU which is a completely different tier than DOU and has no effect on the doubles tier. A mon is only banned to DUbers if it is deemed to powerful in DOU. If the community or council believes that a mon is too centralizing or powerful and if a good point is made for that mon to be banned, it will be suspected. Hooppa-U, Tapu Lele, and Zygarde are all not broken as they all posses a decent amount of checks or counters to take hits from them and hit back hard. The banning processes isn't extremely rigorous and functions the same as other tiers, with our suspect tests actually being significantly easier to achieve reqs for than singles tiers.

Last edited:
No matter where I look, I find that Marshadow is allowed in DOU. It is at the top of the viability rankings, not listed in the format's bans, and the only suspect test for it ended in a no-ban. However, it is not allowed in teams. Is this a mistake, or has it been banned and everything needs to be updated?Marshadow_M20_cropped.png

No matter where I look, I find that Marshadow is allowed in DOU. It is at the top of the viability rankings, not listed in the format's bans, and the only suspect test for it ended in a no-ban. However, it is not allowed in teams. Is this a mistake, or has it been banned and everything needs to be updated?View attachment 101383
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-usum-dou-stage-1-new-perspective.3623271/page-2#post-7630553
it was banned here in this post.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usum-doubles-ou-viability-rankings.3623347/
the VR and samples are all updated accordingly

I’m (very) new to Doubles UU and I would like to learn more about it. Is there a specific DUU thread where I can ask questions I have, or is it this one? I am not sure if this is the right thread to ask because in the title it says it’s focused on Doubles OU.

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I’m (very) new to Doubles UU and I would like to learn more about it. Is there a specific DUU thread where I can ask questions I have, or is it this one? I am not sure if this is the right thread to ask because in the title it says it’s focused on Doubles OU.
Visit the duu_cruu channel on Doubles Discord for live chat: https://discordapp.com/invite/H2rrrcc

Or post on Doubles UU Thread that I already linked: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/doubles-uu.3598014/

Hi.

Unfortunately we don't have an up to date cores thread but there might be some ideas here:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dou-effective-cores.3589421/page-4

In terms of forming your own effective cores, which will greatly help in your general teambuilding, I will link a couple of resources that will be useful:
Viability rankings as a way to see which pokemon are viable as a support for your chosen start.
Teambuilding frameworks which let you see how other successful teams complement their chosen mega/team style.
Roles compendium to see which pokemon fall into the specific role you need.

Hope this helps!

Hi! I've seen the new comments on the VR thread and I'd like to know how is Chansey normally used. Thanks!

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hi! I've seen the new comments on the VR thread and I'd like to know how is Chansey normally used. Thanks!
Chansey is primarily used as a bulky Normal-type that supports its teammates. Because Fighting-types really aren't around at all, it can often serve as a lategame win condition as well if the opponent is unable to break through Chansey's massive special bulk. There's not really a standard set yet, but typically you'll see Toxic / SoftBoiled / damaging move / support move. Toxic and SoftBoiled allow Chansey to function as a lategame win condition, or spread Toxic to wear things down for partners or putting defensive Pokemon on a timer. Seismic Toss deals a consistent 100 damage as the attacking move, making up for Chansey's awful offensive stats, but it can't hit Ghost-types, which is important to consider with the ubiquitous Mega Gengar. Psywave is cool as the damaging move, notably allowing Chansey to hit Mega Gengar, but it can't hit Dark-types and deals variable damage (anywhere from 50-150). There's a lot of options for Chansey's final attack, including but not limited to: Icy Wind, Heal Pulse, Stealth Rock, Ally Switch, or Helping Hand. One cool combo you can pull off in theory is Wish + Ally Switch to give partners massive amounts of HP, but Wish and Psywave are unfortunately incompatible moves. Typically Healer is seen over Natural Cure as a way to give partners a chance of waking up early from Amoonguss's Spore, or generally being cured from status. Chansey really has to watch out for Pokemon that carry Knock Off to remove Eviolite, big Fighting attacks from Pokemon like Kartana, and the danger of being trapped in against Mega Gengar if it carries Taunt. Here's a sample set:

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Healer
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Psywave
- Icy Wind / Heal Pulse

By maximizing physical defense, Chansey is still able to take big physical attacks without fainting in a single hit; it still has absurd special bulk anyway. You could probably run a bit of Speed to take advantage of Icy Wind, but honestly, running less Speed might be more preferable to take less damage from Gyro Ball; Icy Wind is primarily for Chansey's partners.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Copying an explanation from when the shift was first made:

"With letters, you have the limitation that every Pokemon must fall on a scale from A to F, which ends up with all of the viable Pokemon basically getting put in B or higher. This way allows us to be much more expressive with our tier list because there's no floor—there could be 10 or 20 "tiers" and we're only listing the first five, which all (I think) have pretty clear divisions between them. In practice, nothing on this tier list deserved to be below B on the old tier list, and Pokemon below B (and half of the ones in it) were never worth ranking."

Tszuki

Banned deucer.
Hello! I have small question. If my charizard use heatwave, is damage not same if it hit 2 pokemon? If only one pokemon on field, does it doo the full damage? Thank you many times for help!

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Spread reduction means that a Heat Wave targeting two foes will hit each with an effectively 71 Base Power Fire-type move, but as you suspected, if Heat Wave only has one target, its full 95 Base Power will focus on that one Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)