Detective Pikachu (Possible Spoilers)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Um...

That happened.

It's a new game coming out on Feburary 3rd for the 3DS in Japan. It appears to be about a talking Pikachu that's a detective.

I totally forgot it was a thing until they posted this video.

I know this OP is bare bones, but it's kind of early in the morning. I'll make it better later.

Translated Trailer

Info History
  • 10/28/13 - Game is originally revealed to exist. We proceed to forget for over 2 years.
  • 1/26/16 - Game is revealed with a surprise trailer out of the blue, and given a release date of 2/3/2016.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh wow, I had completely forgotten about the Pokemon detective game!

Serebii said:
Following the reveal in The Professionals 3 years ago, the detective Pikachu game has finally been revealed as Detective Pikachu ~ Birth of a New Combination~. It will be available on the Nintendo 3DS eShop in Japan on February 3rd 2016 for 1,500 yen. It'll be cheaper for 1,200 yen from January 27th 2016 to February 29th 2016. It stars a "smug, talking, loveable, detective pikachu".
Edit @ 13:37: This game requires 800MB of space (6,400 blocks) to download and is listed on the official site as "Cinematic Adventure Game", with the official Nintendo site also listing it as a puzzle solving Cinematic Adventure Game. It takes place in Rhyme City and you the human character called Tim Goodman who has come to the city for a currently unknown reason. When he meets with Pikachu, the story begins. It is a 1 Player game and has no online or communication features.
So I guess I'll first look at the trailer:

0:38: A Talking Pikachu?! In addition to forgetting this game exists I also forgot they mentioned the main character Pikachu can talk (though they also said it was blue, I guess maybe someone saw the mesh model of Pikachu and thought that was its actual color?). I do hope they explain that, like is it a case like with Meowth in the anime or is this Pikachu more than it seems (though I'm hoping for no "human turned into Pokemon" thing)?
0:44: Uugh, Pikachu looks kind of doughy in some shots, like I don't think a Pikachu's mouth is meant to open hat big. I guess I could also not be used to seeing a Pokemon's mouth having realistic mouth movements... but the thing is I don't think Pikachu's face was made for that either.
0:47: So it looks like when they say it's a "smug, talking, loveable, detective pikachu" they meant "smug, talking, licentious, detective pikachu". :P Well at least it shows Pikachu will have a personality.
0:52: Oh, in-game graphics, at first I thought this was another augmented reality game. Okay, the human characters look a bit more "realistic" than from the main series but still cartoony. Obviously I'll have to wait and see more before making a definite decision but for right now I'm okay with it. Nothing looks wrong with them, but still Pikachu talking animation...
0:54: Looks like Pikachu is able to talk with other Pokemon, so that looks like it may be a mechanic.
0:56: Does Pikachu have a human female secretary? Pulling out all the detective tropes I see, as if the Sherlock hat isn't enough.
1:06: You guys already have one Pikachu, did you really need the normal Pikachu?

Hmm, I'm sorting getting a Professor Layton vibe from it, though I guess that comes with the territory of it being a fantastical investigation/puzzle adventure. I don't really have anything else to say until someone translates the trailer of a English version comes out.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Well we all know that this game will come out, as Serebii had told us about this game slightly after XY came out. (around the same time they predicted Pokken)
I just never know why it took so long to announce, especially how it is a low budget spin off.

It just doesn't fit into the epic hype of 20th anniversary.

And it is one of those games where Pikachu gets all the spot-light.
Well, good for Pikachu fans, and they are numerous. Just that not every Pokemon fan is a Pikachu fan though.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well we all know that this game will come out, as Serebii had told us about this game slightly after XY came out. (around the same time they predicted Pokken)
I just never know why it took so long to announce, especially how it is a low budget spin off.

It just doesn't fit into the epic hype of 20th anniversary.

And it is one of those games where Pikachu gets all the spot-light.
Well, good for Pikachu fans, and they are numerous. Just that not every Pokemon fan is a Pikachu fan though.
Maybe other Pokemon will get spotlighted as you do cases? Sure it's the main Pokemon character but it's not the only Pokemon and looks like interacting with other Pokemon will be a mechanic so they might flesh out Pokemon you need to "talk to".

Also it doesn't have anything to do with Pikachu fans. Pikachu is the mascot, plain and simple. They could have picked another Pokemon but they chose the one most people would recognize.

The cover (or promo poster or w/e) was bothering me, but it took me a while to figure it out.
You know direct-to-dvd disney movey sequels? Yeah. I wonder if they've got the english voice actors sorted out already? Someone should PM Danny DeVito on Linkedin. He should definitely be getting in on this.

Karxrida

This premise is incredibly goofy for taking itself so seriously, and I love it. I really want a localization of this as long as Pikachu retains a deep voice.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's elementary, my dear Wattson.
My Electric-Type attacks simply cannot damage that Ground-Type Pokemon due to its immunity!

When I first heard about this WAY long ago when we all thought it was just another dropped idea, I thought it could work, maybe be a quirky detective noir like Layton or Phoenix Wright. But now that I see this...

SWEET JEEBUS THIS UNCANNY VALLEY IS DEEPER THEN THE MARIANAS TRENCH! Pikachu should NOT animate that way!

This looks like it's gonna be a bad game. No offense to GF, but I feel like they needed a game to tide us over before Z or 7th gen, and decided to just make this... monstrosity. Or they just thought it would be a great idea... for whatever reason.

Reactions: JES
This looks like it's gonna be a bad game. No offense to GF, but I feel like they needed a game to tide us over before Z or 7th gen, and decided to just make this... monstrosity. Or they just thought it would be a great idea... for whatever reason.
To it's credit, the premise can work as a quirky detective game (like the aforementioned Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton), what's holding back is those disgusting "I just vomited a bit in my mouth" visuals. While a bad premise can never make a good game, bad visuals could be fixed or changed.

Which means this baffles me double since nobody at the editing desk stopped for second to say "We really can't make this work." And I blame all of it on the sacrifices made to give Pikachu a human mouth. You see, Pikachu's design just doesn't work with it. It's given mouth is small and triangular (and it doesn't help that the eyes are black and lack expression):
upload_2016-1-26_9-36-17.png

Which is great for looking cute, but fails to give the complex and nuanced movements of human speech. So changing it to conform looks terrible (you can already see that the top "w" lip was dropped, and the eyes were shaded up to a yellow/amber hue). Contrast Mewoth's design which has a gigantic mouth and very expressive eyes, giving the animators way more wiggle room to make it look natural, or at least visually pleasing.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Game Freak probably didn't make this because they don't do any of the spin-offs. TPCi did it.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is old as fuck news. Surprised people are surprised about it. It's just that footage never got released until now.

The talking Pikahcu eerily reminds me of Porco Rosso...

I really hope the game has something similar and that Pikachu was once a human, and is now a Pokemon. No other Pokemon were in the trailer*, Pikachu was kissed by a woman...

*Realized another Pikachu was in the trailer because I was lazy and didn't watch the entire thing.

I have no idea what is going on here at all... What even.

I watched the trailer at work (no sound) and I am completely perplexed by what this is and why it exists...
I keep getting a weird Simpsons vibe from this, like the Planet of the Apes musical with Troy Mclure. I can SSSSSINNNNNNGGGGG!

FIGARO!

I have changed my mind, this is great. Not good, lords no, but it's great. Give the English dub the deepest most Dan Green voice possible, ten outta ten.

Well, I guess all we can do is hope that the visuals are the only problem with the game. I think they should have just had a Meowth cameo and had him be a translator for Pikachu, or have the trainer be the detective and his sidekick a Pikachu. As long as the game is legitimately good, I might buy it though.

Edit: We should make a poll on who should voice Pikachu for the English dub. I say Benedict Cumberbatch or some kind of deep or philosophical sounding person. Though, chances are they'll give him a cute but serious voice ike in the anime when he's angry and stuff.

Last edited:
Well, I guess all we can do is hope that the visuals are the only problem with the game. I think they should have just had a Meowth cameo and had him be a translator for Pikachu, or have the trainer be the detective and his sidekick a Pikachu. As long as the game is legitimately good, I might buy it though.

Edit: We should make a poll on who should voice Pikachu for the English dub. I say Benedict Cumberbatch or some kind of deep or philosophical sounding person. Though, chances are they'll give him a cute but serious voice ike in the anime when he's angry and stuff.
I still vote for the English Professor Layton voice actor. The trailer already gave me that vibe so let's complete it with the voice.

It looks like it'll be fun. Probably not very long but if the dialog is decent I can get passed the weird mouth.
This premise is incredibly goofy for taking itself so seriously, and I love it. I really want a localization of this as long as Pikachu retains a deep voice.
Pretty much this. Deep voiced Pikachu and the game taking itself seriously.

I could see this ending up like Pokemon Snap. Those that love it will rave on and on about it (guilty) despite not being overly popular.

I'd love for the Danny DeVito style of super grating and obnoxious style of talking. It would 100% make this game more hilarious than it already is. I have to admit I thought it was going to be another vaporware but I guess, at least in Japan, it won't be.

It looks like it'll be fun. Probably not very long but if the dialog is decent I can get passed the weird mouth.

Pretty much this. Deep voiced Pikachu and the game taking itself seriously.

I could see this ending up like Pokemon Snap. Those that love it will rave on and on about it (guilty) despite not being overly popular.
We'll have to wait a good few years to complete that comparison, because it's not Snap without people coming out of nowhere to scream for a sequel a decade later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)