Crawdaunt [QC: 2/3]

"Maximized Speed with a neutral nature a allowing Crawdaunt to outspeed un-invested base 86 speeds (most notably Rotom-Wash) by exactly one point"

I just want to point out that Rotom-Wash always runs some Speed investment ; its bulky pivot set runs 44 Speed EVs minimum. So that point is kinda mo0t

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Seconding Jukain's experiences, LO crawdaunt with 4 attacks is honestly all you need. I had rain support, but that guy did crazy work, and I never once wished I had a boosting move to break through something (Rather I want poison jab for azumarill).

"Maximized Speed with a neutral nature a allowing Crawdaunt to outspeed un-invested base 86 speeds (most notably Rotom-Wash) by exactly one point"

I just want to point out that Rotom-Wash always runs some Speed investment ; its bulky pivot set runs 44 Speed EVs minimum. So that point is kinda mo0t
I don't know what type of rotom-w's you've been facing, but you do realize it's actually more favorable to run less speed? When you're facing another opposing rotom-w, for example, you want the slower volt switch so your switch-in doesn't have to take the WoW or volt switch instead. That's why I honestly end up running 30 speed ivs on my rotom-w with no investment just to outslow opposing rotom-w, because having a slower pivot makes all the difference.

I might also like to mention that not once as a bulky rotom-w outsped my 252att+/252spe crawdaunt, rotom-w do certainly not "always" run speed investment unless they're offensive.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Remove Switcheroo from the CB set, it's useless. Also, remove the SD set and simply slash SD after Crunch and LO after CB on the first set.

I don't know what type of rotom-w's you've been facing, but you do realize it's actually more favorable to run less speed? When you're facing another opposing rotom-w, for example, you want the slower volt switch so your switch-in doesn't have to take the WoW or volt switch instead. That's why I honestly end up running 30 speed ivs on my rotom-w with no investment just to outslow opposing rotom-w, because having a slower pivot makes all the difference.

I might also like to mention that not once as a bulky rotom-w outsped my 252att+/252spe crawdaunt, rotom-w do certainly not "always" run speed investment unless they're offensive.
"I think the primary EV spread on the defensive set should change to 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe. I've been seeing Jolly Belly Drum Azumarill on the ladder, and having the capability of burning it or attacking it with Volt Switch before it uses Play Rough can be crucial. Not to mention, it also allows Rotom-W to outpace min Speed Landorus-T before it U-Turns and max Speed Crawdaunt before it uses Knock Off. Hitting these three birds (and potentially others that I can't conjure at the moment) with one stone is more important than the negligible amount of bulk that it loses." (Super Mario Bro ) [Rotom-W OU Analysis XY]

There's your answer.
I'm aware that running minimum speed can give you that last Volt Switch ; in fact, early XY, I used to run 252/252+ Rotom Wash as well. However, Rotom Wash really appreciates being able to cripple certain threats and that is going to require Speed investments.
The spread is generally accepted and is currently the standard spread for defensive Rotom-Wash

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ehh i think the ability to switch moves is enough to keep the sets separate, and the ability to run sd is a pretty significant difference. i can elaborate more if you need me to but that's my opinion.

Remove Switcheroo from the CB set, it's useless. Also, remove the SD set and simply slash SD after Crunch and LO after CB on the first set.

I'll remove Switcheroo from the CB set and I'll think about getting rid of the Swords Dance set and just slashing stuff but I'd like one more opinion first.

Most Rotom-W run either no speed Evs and in some cases less speed ivs just for the sake of volt switching after an opposing rotom-w. Crawdaunt would love to nail it with a Knock Off rather than face a crippling burn or volt switch so the speed Evs are actually really important.

i'm not saying to drop the number of speed evs as crawdaunt needs that speed to outspeed various threats.
i'm simply pointing out the fact that the standard Rotom-Wash variant runs a minimum of 44 Speed EVs to cripple certain threats such as minimum speed Landorus-T and Crawdaunt

After some consideration I decided to merge the two sets since they both aim to wallbreak. Also, I fixed some grammar errors and reworded parts of the analysis to make it better.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Unmerge the two sets as, like Jukakin said, the two sets play completely differently. While they are both Wallbreakers, the CB set tends to be a better at revenge killing due to the power boost on Aqua Jet, wheras the SD set is better suited to late-game sweeps than the cb set for its ability to change up moves. Also may i suggest dashing the fourth slot on the choice band set as Superpower / Crunch

What does everyone think, should I give Swords Dance it's own set again or leave it merged with the Choice Band set? They both aim primarily to Wallbreak, as stated many times before, but, is the ability to switch moves and boost when given the chance enough to give Swords Dance its own set?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Keep them as one set.

Make sure to stress that what Crawdaunt has over Azumarill is raw power, to the point that it's impossible to straight up wall. It can also check SD Aegislash better, due to the Shadow Sneak resistance, which can come handy for offensive teams.

QC APPROVED 2/3

Keep them as one set.

Make sure to stress that what Crawdaunt has over Azumarill is raw power, to the point that it's impossible to straight up wall. It can also check SD Aegislash better, due to the Shadow Sneak resistance, which can come handy for offensive teams.

QC APPROVED 2/3

Alright, I'll add that, thanks!

Could Aerial Ace have any merit on Crawdaunt over Crunch on the Choice Band set? It does 69-80% to maximum defensive Chesnaught, arguably Crawdaunt's biggest counter. It also hits Keldeo and Toxicroak slightly harder than anything else.

Could Aerial Ace have any merit on Crawdaunt over Crunch on the Choice Band set? It does 69-80% to maximum defensive Chesnaught, arguably Crawdaunt's biggest counter. It also hits Keldeo and Toxicroak slightly harder than anything else.
I'm not QC, but the fact that Chesnaught and especially Toxicroak are so rare, this seems like OO material to me.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Agreed. No Aerial Ace, as Crawdaunt can easily employ teammates that can handle Chesnaught, and it's not worth losing Crunch there. Crunch and Crabhammer also hit some of Aerial Ace's super effective targets harder (Mega Venusaur and Conkeldurr).

So just write it up without :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)