Core Laddering Challenge - CAP Edition [ON HOLD]

Just a friendly reminder; I was looking at the CAP ladder and I noticed that a couple of people had forgotten this rule:
!! To claim your points, you must post the replay of the battle you achieved the benchmark as well as the benchmark you achieved. !!
As it's the first week, I don't mind if you post a replay of a later battle but make sure to do so before the end of the week. If you reach a higher benchmark later on, you can edit your post with the new replay and claim the higher points. Tagging cbrevan Heaven Jay and reachzero who seem to have missed this :)

This week's cores
Core A

Rank *

Mega Charizard Y is an incredibly potent wallbreaker, and Dugtrio supports it well by trapping Pokemon like Mollux, Heatran, Tyranitar and Chansey.

Core B

Rank *

Naviathan received powerful new tools in the recent updates, and Landorus-T supports its sweep by luring Pokemon like Tomohawk, Pyroak and Ferrothorn, either weakening them or outright KOing them.

Core C

Rank **

A well known pink blob stall core, try to create a new version of the OU 'Double Defog Stall' in CAP!

Core D

Rank ***

Muk can take Psychic attacks for Keldeo while Keldeo can deal with Steel types for Muk. Keldeo also appreciates the Pursuit support that Muk offers.

This week ends on Saturday 22nd July at 6pm EDT.
Good luck!

Remember - you must post with a new alt for this week and use that to ladder with these cores

Last edited:
Reactions: Jho

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I completely understand where you're coming from here, and although I am willing to increase the number of cores each week to something like 4/5, I don't think that building creatively against a common core is necessarily a bad thing. Sure, you have to cteam the other core, but the competition drives creativity by participants adapting to what is being done to counter their core. You could think outside the box and, just off the top of my head, run Sunny Day on your Heatran to stop Pelipper coming freely in and setting the rain. In a way, this situation simulates acceleration metagame trends - how one thing reacts and adapts to another. I know this probably sounds a bit over-imaginative, but overall the competition is as much about inventive teambuilding as battling skill. I encourage you to not stick within the 'traditional' confines of a rain team, but have some fun and experiment - that's surely one of my favourite things about playing Pokémon. But yeah, there will be more cores next week :p

Edit: greninja'd by Frat Dude, I appreciate the feedback and I'll try to change that next week
I think some of reach's fears were a bit exaggerated, since not everyone laddering is participating in this. I mean, I know I hopped onto the ladder and tried to mess with people up people who were participating even though I wasn't. While I don't think a lot of cores is necessarily a bad thing, I do think the more cores available then the more obvious it will be that some cores just work a lot better than others.

sparktrain has won this week with a total of 1405 Elo!
Second is Jho with uhh... 1068 Elo and... no-one came third :(

I know CAP TT is getting underway but this is still a great place to show your talent for playing the CAP Metagame and your ability to creatively teambuild! I hope we get more participants this week!
This week's cores
Core A

Rank *

A well-known balance core, Heatran and Tapu Bulu have great type synergy - Heatran deals with Fire and Steel types for Bulu while Bulu takes Water and Ground attacks for Heatran - and Heatran appreciates the Grassy Terrain support Bulu provides.

Core B

Rank **

This core can spam powerful Water type attacks while also having immense utility and flexibility with VoltTurn. Krilowatt can pivot out of the Grass and Steel types which check it while Volkraken can do the same for Water types, wearing them down. However, it struggles against bulky walls like Pyroak and Chansey.

Core C

Rank **

Sand is used less in CAP due to the omnipresence of Tomohawk, but, as this core has a good match up against the previous two, maybe you could give it a go!

Core D

Rank ***

Mega Beedrill is a threat to more offensive teams but struggles with bulkier ones. It provides free switches with U-Turn for Crawdaunt to come in and dismantle these more defensive teams.

This week ends on Saturday 29th July at 6pm EDT.
I hope to see more people getting out there and laddering!

Remember - you must post with a new alt for this week and use that to ladder with these cores

Ay big up 1068 I forgot to play this week but respectable score noneoftheless

Core C seems extremely innovative and I just have to use it to see how this new idea works

CLC Jho C3

Last edited:
This week's cores
Core A

Rank *

Mega Pinsir is a stellar offensive mega and is supported well by Magnezone, which can both remove Skarmory and Celesteela and deal with some of Pinsir's revenge killers in Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele.

Core B

Rank *

This fat balance core has amazing defensive synergy: Magearna can take Flying, Fairy, Psychic and some Electric attacks for Arghonaut whereas Arghonaut can take Fire type attacks and physical hits in general that Magearna can't handle.

Core C

Rank **

This core utilises Electric Terrain to overwhelm the opponent with Electric type attacks. Plasmanta can also deal with the Grass types that Koko struggles with but you must be sure to include a lure for Ground types that are immune to the pair's most powerful attacks.

Core D

Rank **

Tapu Fini provides Defog support for Mega Aerodactyl while also taking on Water types like Ash-Greninja and Choice Scarf Keldeo which give it trouble. Aerodactyl deals with Grass types like Tangrowth and Mega Venusaur.

This week ends on Saturday 5th August at 6pm EDT.

Can anyone beat sparktain, who has stretched an impressive lead? Good luck to all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)