@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>It has enormous Attack with Pure Power.</li>
<li>The Speed boost to 100 is huge for Mega Medicham.</li>
<li>It has a good movepool.</li>
<li>It makes a decent revenge killer with Fake Out and Bullet Punch</li>
<li>Those priority moves also give it a way of Mega Evolving without having to rely on Medicham's Speed</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>It isn't quite fast enough.</li>
<li>Its reliance on High Jump Kick makes it easy for Ghosts to switch in.</li>
<li>Its moves are relatively weak besides High Jump Kick</li>
<li>It is frail and it might find it hard to switch in or Mega-Evolve</li>
<li>Aegislash gives it trouble.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>name: All-Out Attacker<br />
move 1: High Jump Kick<br />
move 2: Fire Punch<br />
move 3: Zen Headbutt / Ice Punch<br />
move 4: Bullet Punch / Fake Out / Substitute<br />
ability: Pure Power<br />
item: Medichamite<br />
nature: Adamant / Jolly<br />
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe</p>

<p>Medicham jumps into the forefront of power thanks to its new Mega Evolution. Boasting a gargantuan base 100 Attack backed by Pure Power, Mega Medicham has one of the highest Attack stats in the game. This set aims to take advantage of that power, making Mega Medicham into an insane wallbreaker. High Jump Kick is the main STAB move on Medicham, and although it is somewhat unreliable, its power is well worth it, as it can easily 2HKO both physically defensive Hippowdon and Skarmory. Fire Punch is the best option Mega Medicham has for hitting Aegislash, which resists or is immune to all of Mega Medicham's other attacks. Fire Punch is also a more reliable option for hitting Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory than High Jump Kick, due to the accuracy difference. Zen Headbutt is also a good STAB move, and can land a super effective hit on Pokemon such as Tentacruel and Mega Venusaur, which otherwise don't take much from its attacks. It is also Mega Medicham's best move for Fairy-types such as Azumarill and Togekiss, 2HKOing both after Stealth Rock. Ice Punch can also be used if hitting Gliscor is a major concern. The last slot is useful in many different ways. Bullet Punch is a good option as it provides Mega Medicham with a good tool for revenge killing and hitting Gengar before it can hit back. Bullet Punch and Fake Out are both useful for avoiding the Speed mechanics of Mega Evolution, meaning it won't have to rely on its regular form's Speed on turn one. Substitute is a great option as Mega Medicham tends to force a lot of switches. Once behind a Substitute, it becomes an even more potent threat, as most things are O-2HKOed by the appropriate attack.</p>

<p>Good teammates for Mega Medicham include Pokemon that appreciate physical walls being weakened. Pokemon such as Lucario, Talonflame, and Dragonite all appreciate Hippowdon being weakened significantly, and thus make good partners. As Mega Medicham doesn't handle Ghosts very well, something like Choice Scarf Tyranitar to eliminate Gengar or Choice Band Tyranitar to take out or weaken Gourgeist and Trevenant can be useful as well. Finally, because Medicham has no way of boosting its Speed, Sticky Web users such as Galvantula and Smeargle work well with it, leaving only Levitate users and Flying-types to outspeed it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Slowbro is probably the best counter to Mega Medicham, only being hit for super-effective damage by the rare Thunder Punch and resisting all of Mega Medicham's other moves. It also has Regenerator and reliable recovery, meaning it can continually switch in and take Pure Power-boosted attacks throughout the match. Gourgeist is also a good defensive check. It can live a Fire Punch and burn Mega Medicham with Will-O-Wisp, crippling it for the rest of the match. Aegislash can also come in on every move besides Fire Punch and threaten to lower Mega Medicham's Attack with King's Shield. Defensive Gyarados can wall Mega Medicham easily, with Gyarados only having a slight chance of being 2HKOed by Zen Headbutt. Chandelure resists all of Medicham's moves outside of Zen Headbutt and can OHKO back with Shadow Ball. Talonflame can revenge kill it with a priority Brave Bird, but doesn't like switching in on it. Azumarill resists all of Mega Medicham's moves except Zen Headbutt and can OHKO with Play Rough. Finally, Choice Band Scizor cannot switch in on Mega Medicham, but it can do a minimum of 70% to it with Bullet Punch, meaning that it can pick it off when weakened.</p>

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Looks good so far man, but as for your question about how viable Scarf Medicham is, I wouldn't include it. Being locked into Hi Jump Kick is terrible right now, and there's a ton of priority that can revenge kill it.

As for the actual analysis, I would mention strong priority users like Scizor, Azumarill, and Talonflame in the checks and counters section.

I'll comment more when you finish this.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
But doesn't Medicham have access to Fire Punch to hit Aegislash?
That is completely correct. I will add it in if QC thinks it should be, but it generally is inferior coverage, and Aegislash not only can lower Mega Medicham's attack with King's Shield, but it OHKOs with a 0 SAtk Shadow Ball and comes pretty damn close with Shadow Sneak. So really, it can only hit Aegislash on the switch, and even then it doesn't OHKO. Still, I think it at least deserves a mention. Thanks for pointing that out!

EDIT: On second thought, Fire is a really good attacking type, so I added it as the second slash on Poison Jab and changed the bullet points accordingly. Thanks again!

Last edited:
You can mention Chandelure along with Gengar in the C&C section. Even though it's semi-relevant right now, it basically walls Medicham's entire moveset bar Psycho Cut, which is a 3rd slash.

Reactions: tab

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Poison Jab is the main option for hitting Fairy-types (Azumarill walls you otherwise)
- 252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 233-275 (57.67 - 68.06%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- 252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 288-339 (71.28 - 83.91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- 252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Sylveon: 273-322 (69.28 - 81.72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- 252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 182-215 (46.19 - 54.56%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO
- 252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 225-265 (57.1 - 67.25%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- 252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Togekiss: 184-217 (49.32 - 58.17%) -- 62.89% chance to 2HKO, guaranteed 2HKO after SR

Poison Jab is simply not needed. Every single Fairy except from physically defensive Togekiss is 2HKOed by Hi Jump Kick + Zen HeadButt or just by Hi Jump Kick, and Togekiss is 2HKOed by Zen Headbutt (always after SR). Also, 2HKOing Aegislash is much more important than OHKOing Gliscor for three reasons: Gliscor doesn't make you lose half of your life every time he switches into your main STAB, Aegislash is way more common, and Aegislash is much harder to switch into. So, make the set look like this:

<p>Medicham @ Medichamite<br />
Ability: Pure Power<br />
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe<br />
Adamant / Jolly Nature<br />
- High Jump Kick<br />
- Fire Punch<br />
- Zen Headbutt / Ice Punch<br />
- Bullet Punch / Fake Out</p>

Add Medicham's frailty as a Con.

Add Slowbro and defensive Gyarados as checks/counters.

No to Scarf Medicham.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
a little late on this but

Maybe slash sub with bullet punch / fake out?

I haven't gotten to testing cham yet, but at least in Gen V Sub + 3 attacks was by far its deadliest set imo since Medicham forces hella switches, and I don't see anything that's changed that should stop this. Easing predictions with HJK for ghosts (especially in this ghost-infested meta) or protect, etc. Stall also cares more about cham being behind a sub than getting hit by FO/BP too.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Come on Halcyon, let's get this written pls, it's already been one week since it's been touched.

And do what UltiMario said.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Actually, the con of not being able to boost its Attack is a lie.

It learns Bulk Up (and a lesser extent - Meditate).

For what it's worth, I've been seeing some success with a SubBulkUp set with HJK and Fire Punch. You have to run it with a counter to Dragons, but with a good Fairy type this hasn't been hard at all. Of all the other moves I've tried, I rarely stray from HJK or Fire Punch, which hits most ghosts and fairies on their lower defense. Sub is awesome, and often gives me an opportunity to Bulk Up when I force their walls out.

Something to consider, with good predictions I've turned 4-1s to wins a few times now.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Guys, I'm writing it up so just ignore any small typos like the one mentioned above. Obviously it's not going to get past QC with no item, I'm just in the middle of fixing the format. This will be done soon.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP Check Halcyon.
Add
Remove
Comments

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>It has enormous Attack with Pure Power.</li>
<li>The Speed boost to 100 is huge for Mega Medicham.</li>
<li>HIt has a good movepool.</li>
<li>MIt makes a decent revenge killer with Fake Out and Bullet Punch</li>
<li>Those priority moves also give it a way of Mega Evolving without having to rely on Medicham's Speed</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>It isn't quite fast enough.</li>
<li>DIt doesn't have a boosting move for Speed or Attack.</li>
<li>Its reliance on High Jump Kick makes it easy for Ghosts to switch in.</li>
<li>Its moves are relatively weak besides High Jump Kick</li>
<li>It is frail, s and it mayight find it hard to switch in or Mega-(hyphen)Evolve</li>
<li>Aegislash gives it trouble.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]
(Remove Line Break)

set name: <All-Out Attacker>
move 1: High Jump Kick
move 2: Fire Punch
move 3: Zen Headbutt / Ice Punch
move 4: Bullet Punch / Fake Out / Substitute
ability: Pure Power
item: Medichamite
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

<p>Medicham jumps into the forefront of power thanks to its new Mega Evolution. Boasting a gargantuan base 100 Attack backed by Pure Power, Mega Medicham has one of the highest Attack stats in the game. This set aims to take advantage of that power, making Mega Medicham into an insane wallbreaker. High Jump Kick is the main STAB move on Medicham, and although it is somewhat unreliable, it'(RA)s power is well worth it, as it can easily 2HKO both physically defensive Hippowdon and Skarmory. Fire Punch is the best option Mega Medicham has for hitting Aegislash, whoich resists or is immune to all of Mega Medicham's other attacks. ItFire Punch is also a more reliable option for hitting Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory than High Jump Kick, due tot the accuracy difference. Zen Headbutt is also a good STAB move, and can land a super effective hit on Pokemon likesuch as Tentacruel and Mega Venusaur, which otherwise don't take much from its attacks. It is also is Mega Medicham's best move for Fairy-types such as Azumarill and Togekiss, 2HKOing both after Stealth Rock. Ice Punch can also be used if hitting Gliscor is a major concern. The last slot is useful in many different ways. Bullet Punch is a good option as it provides Mega Medicham with a good tool for revenge killing and hitting Gengar before it can hit back. Bullet Punch and Fake Out are both useful for avoiding the sSpeed mechanics of Mega Evolution, meaning it won't have to rely on its regular forme's sSpeed on turn one. Substitute is a great option as Mega Medicham tends to force a lot of switches. Once behind a Substitute, it becomes an even more potent threat, as most things are 1O-2HKOed by one of itsthe appropriate attacks.</p>

<p>Good teammates for Mega Medicham include Pokéemon that appreciate physical walls being weakened. Pokemon likesuch as Lucario, Talonflame, and Dragonite all appreciate Hippowdon being weakened significantly, and thus make good partners. SinceAs Mega Medicham doesn't handle Ghosts very well, something like Choice Scarf Tyranitar to eliminate Gengar or Choice Banded Tyranitar to take out or weaken Gourgeist and Trevenant can be useful as well. Finally, sincbecause Medicham has no way of boosting its Speed, Sticky Web users such as Galvantula and Smeargle work well with it, leaving only Levitatoe users and Flying-types to outspeed it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Mega gGengar is the best offensive check to Mega Medicham. It can live a Bullet Punch, is immune to High Jump Kick, and can easily OHKO with STAB Shadow Ball. Regular Gengar can also work, but the main reason mMega Gengar is preferred is that it can also make sure Mega Medicham doesn't switch out. Gourgeist is in a similar situation, and can live a Fire Punch and burn it with Will-O-Wisp as well, crippling it for the rest of the match. Slowbro and defensive Gyarados can wall Mega Medicham easily, with Gyarados only having a slight chance of being 2HKOed by Zen Headbutt. Chandelure resists all of Medicham's moves outside of Zen headbutt and can OHKO back with Shadow Ball. Talonflame can revenge kill it with a priority Brave Bird, but doesn't like switching in on it. Azumarill resists all of Mega Medicham's moves,(AC) but Zen Headbutt and can OHKO it with Play Rough (What? Please reword). Finally, Choice Banded Scizor cannot switch in on Mega Medicham, but it can do a minimum of 70% to it with Bullet Punch, meaning that it can pick it off when weakened.</p>

Well done ^-^

Last edited:

LilOu

PO poopyhead
I know this is finished, however, I don't see an Aegislash mention in the Checks and Counters area but just in the set comments. I think it's a must to talk about it especially in the C&C section because it can easily come in on every move Medicham has except of Fire Punch, which becomes a very risky option if you want to hit it on the switch in and, of course, King's Shield is a full stop against Mechicam.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
I know this is finished, however, I don't see an Aegislash mention in the Checks and Counters area but just in the set comments. I think it's a must to talk about it especially in the C&C section because it can easily come in on every move Medicham has except of Fire Punch, which becomes a very risky option if you want to hit it on the switch in and, of course, King's Shield is a full stop against Mechicam.
Done!

In the cons section of this thread it says Mega Medicham can't boost his attack or speed but in the team builder in PS it says Mega Medicham can learn Bulk Up. What's goin on?

2 things.

First, I feel like the 3rd and last cons are very redundant since Aegislash is a ghost, and it doesn't deserve to get discredited for this as well. Second, I also question Gengar being the best check when Zen Headbutt is a primary option for the set. Slowbro, for all intents and purposes, is probably the best check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)