[COMPLETED] Charizard

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Yes, but then you have to run a nature that isn't -Atk, which means you forgo a defense, which is not something you really want to do right? They both gather the same results with HP Ground doing slightly more. EQ and HP Ground are both doing around the same to TTar as well: about nothing, so it doesn't even make a difference there either.

Although I do get that EQ hits mixed sets harder, but still the nature thing is a problem. I was also obviously referring to Flash Fire Chandelure, although I agree we shouldn't AC it because of Chandy.

I guess I'll rectify my statement though: can we AC Hidden Power [Ground] OR Earthquake on the Zard-Y to hit Heatran depending on what the QC team comes up with?

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Remove the Scarf Salamence example to sell Sticky Web's uses. Kind of a paradox since Salamence doesn't give two shits about it (Flying)

Scarf Chomper will be a better example.

just a thought, i think it would be useful to include to include a bulky Sub dragon Dance set for charizard X
something like this

Charizard X
dragon dance
fire punch/flare blitz
dragon claw/outrage/dragon rush
substitute/roost
Adamant Nature
252 Atk; 28 Hp; 152 Spe; 76 Def/Spd

the EV's spread shown gives charizard a multitude of set up opportunities. with 152 Spe EV's you can outspeed max speed smergale and standard gliscor;while not transformed gliscor is helpless to stop you from setting up a substitute and gaining dragon dance's as knock off takes 2 turns to break charizard's substitute and smergale outran can't do anything at all! other pokes charizard can set up on ferrothron, jellicent, chestnaught, scizor, brelloom, chansey, blissey and defensive rotom-W. the evs given into hp and either defense or Spd give charizard a bit more bulk that is helpfull to maintain that substitute on scalds from jellicent or gastrodon. while Atk is maximized to hit the sturdy defensive walls like the soon to be released heatran as hard as possible. this set doesn't have to fear revenge killers like garchomp or salamence once is set up behind a substitute either, as charizard can KO all of his speedy counters with the appropriate attack. roost is another option over substitute to make charizards life last longer and goes well with flare blitz but, charizard loses the ability to get past Pokemon like salamence and garchomp with a choice scarf in hand. an alternate spread could be used of 180 atk; and 100 HP Ev's to give Charizard much more bulk but the loss of power is significant.

the choice between dragon claw, outrage, and dragon rush is up to preference. dragon claw is the most reliable but its 80 Base power leaves much to be desired. outrage hits like truckl but makes charizard helpless against fairy types to do anything once he starts going. dragon rush has more power than dragon claw but at the cost of accuracy 75% accuracy, but the power does grab some extra KO's. the chance to flinch the opponent is also nice and could save charizard in tight spot.

check and counters to this set are few and far once charizard is set up but there are 2 universal counters. max Def and max Hp heatran which is currently not available can take any attack charizard throws at it and roar it away chipping its health away with stealth rocks, and azumarril who can take a fire punch and flare blitz easily can even set up a belly drum or out right KO charizard. team mates who can't dispatch of these threats make great partners. rotom-W deserves a special mention for being able to take on both heatran and azumaril and lure special walls like blissy, celebi, or ferrothron, all of which with a predicted volt switch is a great opputunity for this charizard to set up on. stealth rocks is another major thorn into charizards side, as rpid spin or de-fog support is a must. hitmontop makes a good partner for this as he can also dispatch heatran with a close combat but must fear a burn from will-o-wisp or lava plume, starmie is another great pokemon who can also take care of azumaril and heatran with stab hydropump or surf, or a thunderbolt. lastly donphan makes a good choice as well for removing hazards and taking on heatran as well as hitting salamanece and garchomp for super effective with ice shard or stone egde.

Bulky-ish Mega Charizard Y

-flamethrower
-sunny day
-will-o-wisp
-roost
ability: blaze
item: charizardite y

If you want to use Mega Charizard y for sun support (which is a lot harder since sun only lasts 5 turns) then it might be a good idea to use a set that focuses on survival. It is important to keep the sun alive to provide support for your team. Simple enough, flamethrower is a reliable fire type attack that gets a nice boost from the sun. Sunny day is important for bringing the sun back on for your team without switching out (thus reducing the amount of times you switch into stealth rock) and it can bring the sun back from drizzle Politoed if you can predict the switch in. will-o-wisp burns opponents and roost restores your hit points and removes Charizard's weaknesses to electric types and lowers your weakness to rock types (not that it matters too much).
Not sure about a nature or ev spread. I'm still fairly new to the competitive scene, but hopefully I've learned enough for this set to still be effective. I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

I think it's worth noting that Hippowdown can also deal massive damage with Earthquake to Mega Charizard X, 73.4-86.8% to be exact. With Stealth Rock up it's 81.3% chance to OHKO, with that being guaranteed with a lay of spikes or just a little of of residual damage. Even at +2, Mega Charizard X cannot OHKO a full HP 252/252 impish Hippowdown with Flare Blitz but it will take very painful damage(77.8-91.6%) meaning that it'd have to be pretty healthy to survive the hit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)