Challenge COMPLETE: Pokemon White 60-Hour N-Style Completedex Challenge

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Part 24

Okay, I must revise: the grind technically isn't over because I forgot to evolve Gothorita, for some reason thinking it evolved with a Dusk Stone. I mean, it looks like it should. Anyway, it's not such a tough one to raise, and only needs a few levels. Getting a Gothitelle is reasonably quick.

So that's that done - now it's time to round out the rest of the dex with the last few Pokemon I need, all of whom are extremely easy to get hold of.

First, I make three trades with NPCs: Petilil for Cottonee, Boldore for Emolga, and Mincinno for Basculin. Then I change the season and go hunting for a Stunfisk, which I somehow missed earlier.

Now it's time to do some stone evolutions! Namely:

Pansage into Simisage
Munna into Musharna
Cottonee into Whimsicott
Petilil into Lilligant
Panpour into Simipour
Lampent into Chandelure
Eelektrik into Eelektross
Pansear into Simisear
Minccino into Cinccino

Just one Pokemon left I need to physically catch: a certain inelegant Rock-type. To Victory Road I go, after buying about 30 Timer Balls.

I approach Terrakion and engage it in battle, paralysing it on the first turn with Eelektross as usual and whittling it down to the red. I have a few Great Balls left and start chucking them in earnest while throwing Ghost-types into battle to get as many free turns as possible. None do the trick, though, so I turn to my stock of Timer Balls and... eventually (very eventually) succeed. All four of the Swords caught. Now into the box with you forever, Terrakion.

So now there's only a handful of Pokemon left, all of which cannot be natively caught and must be traded. But I'll end this part for now and detail them in the final and concluding post!

Pokedex total: 149

I missed out counting Golett in an earlier post (blame tiredness and my general crap-ness with numbers) so add one on here.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Part 25

Having caught Thundurus, I trade for Tornadus, which gets me to 150 and thus eligible to trade for Zekrom too.

Ugh. I've messed up my count. (Anyone who reads my challenges will know this always happens.) I'm not sure which Pokemon I've missed making note of, but my game displays me as having 153, so whatever - that qualifies me to trade for Zorua, then Landorus and Kyurem as well.

Pokedex total: 156

And that's it! All 156 Pokemon obtained and the Unova Pokedex fully completed.

1639330131458.png

I fly over to Nuvema and show Professor Juniper the fruits of my labours, and she practically wets herself with excitement.

But there's still a little more to do before this challenge is signed, sealed, and delivered. Time to return to N's Castle and defeat both him and Ghetsis. I assemble the strongest team I can with what I have - Braviary, Hydreigon, Terrakion, Vanilluxe, Bisharp, and Volcarona - and get teleported back into the castle by a helpful Plasma grunt.

In the throne room - after awakening the Dark Stone and catching my own redundant Zekrom - I engage N in battle, deciding I may as well swap out Terrakion for Zekrom when the game offers it, since it's so underlevelled compared to everyone else.

Our battle starts. I go straight for a Dragonbreath while N's Reshiram ineffectually uses Fusion Flare and Extrasensory, gaining a quick 3HKO. He sends out Vanilluxe and I go for Bisharp, who manages a cheap and nasty KO with a critical Night Slash.

Klinklang next, so I switch to Volcarona. Ah! No, it's Zoroark. Not to worry, I have a Bug move to take care of that. Thanks to Volcarona's overwhelming level advantage, Zoroark's Night Slash glances off me.

Carracosta is next up, and manages to overwhelm Bisharp with a critical Waterfall followed by an Aqua Jet. It won't have the advantage for long. I send out Zekrom and finish it with a Fusion Bolt. Archeops seems like it's going to revenge kill with Dragon Claw, but I survive with 2 HP and use Fusion Bolt again for the KO.

Just the real Klinklang to go. I stick with Zekrom intending to soften it up and it unexpectedly outspeeds and kills me first. Fine, let's dance another tune. Volcarona hits it with Flame Charge, doing around 30% and tanking a Hyper Beam, leaving it wide open for another two hits.

Not so hard. Now for Dennis Ghetsis.

His Cofagrigus poisons Zekrom, but I manage to paralyse it in turn and 3HKO while it fails to attack. Bouffalant comes out next, and though I do a reasonable chunk of damage with Fusion Bolt it manages to revenge kill.

I send out Vanilluxe and strike with Ice Beam. Unbelievably, it falls just short of a KO, but Bouffalant then very obligingly uses Head Charge, which Vanilluxe survives by the skin of its teeth and causes Bouffalant to faint from recoil.

It's Hydreigon next. I switch to Volcarona, wanting to nerf its Special Attack with Struggle Bug. It does just that, but Ghetsis heals once Hydreigon falls into the red zone and manages to overwhelm Volcarona with Surf, fainting it. I switch to Braviary and wear it down with Aerial Ace.

Ugh, Bisharp. Nothing I have can touch it. Screw it, I decide to sacrifice Vanilluxe in order to revive Volcarona. Though Flame Charge does around 30%, it strikes back with Stone Edge and wipes me out. Aggghhhh. Okay, let's send out my own Bisharp. It only knows Dark moves, but I can beef up with Iron Defence and chip away. Bisharp must have a better Defence stat than I remember - after only one Iron Defence, Ghetsis' X-Scissors barely do anything. The same is sadly true of my Night Slashes, but after 6 turns I eventually drop it.

He sends out Seismitoad. I've only got Braviary and Hydreigon left - I go for the former, and manage a tidy 2HKO with Slash. And now, just Eelektross. Sticking with Braviary, I do around 40% with Slash and it KOs me with Wild Charge, taking a chunk of recoil. But that leaves it open for Hydreigon to come in and use Dragon Pulse for the wiiiiin.

And that's it. The challenge is over. Allow me briefly to breathe out with relief while the credits music washes over me.

Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-

Final thoughts

This one was a monster of a slog. So much more difficult than the equivalent Yellow challenge. Even though Unova has many, many Pokemon whose evolved forms can be caught in later areas, the sky-high levels of the ones I did need to raise up made this very hard going. I had a hunch this might not be the most interesting challenge to read, and it probably wasn't since a good percentage of it was just grinding levels. The lack of a fixed or imposed team helped enormously - if I'd been using a predetermined set of six, I'd have definitely struggled a lot more than I did. This morning I was quite convinced I wouldn't complete the challenge in time.

But complete it I did. At the time of writing it's just gone 6.00PM UK time, so that's just three hours to spare. Close to the wire, but 57 hours is pretty impressive all the same.

Since I mentioned it in my initial post, I did wonder if I should incorporate GTS usage into this challenge. But on balance, it's probably best I didn't. There are comparatively very few users on there, and it would have made things much easier to a probably quite ridiculous degree. Especially since I'd be motivated to put things like Cobalion and Virizion on there and ask for much more common Pokemon. Still.

Anyway, if you've been reading this, thank you and I hope you enjoyed it. My next challenge run won't be until next year, but it's one I've put a lot of effort into setting up and one I really hope people will find of interest. But I won't spoil it just now. All I'll say is it involves Pokemon Platinum...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)