Community Create-a-Team 2: M-Lopunny + Lando-T

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Psynergy's Zapdos: 10
cant say's Amoonguss: 2​

so now we have zappy birb on the team, where to next? we don't have anything to soak up special hits, so apart from Lopunny just revenge killing Zards / Greninjas / Thund-Ts / Naga's etc. we don't really have answers yet. We also don't have heaps of offense either, so the nominations could go either way this week!

I don't have an idea yet so I'll post later

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
praise wallbird \o/

So what we have so far is Lopunny, Landorus-T, Aegislash, Zapdos. The first thing that jumps out to me as problematic is Mamoswine; only Lopunny is able to sort of go toe-to-toe with it, and it can't switch in. Everything else is in trouble against it so I think that in order to deal with it properly, and also to patch our burgeoning weakness to mixed Blaziken, I'm suggesting CM Tapu Fini:

Tapu Fini @ Waterium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Taunt

This nomination is mainly for filling holes in the team's structure from a type perspective, as I noted above. Fini gives us a number of things: resistance to Water and Fire-type attacks, terrain control, a Mamoswine check, a Greninja check, a sturdy Blaziken check. I picked CM as a set to give us an offensive wincon; this thing can set up and go to town on bulky teams by itself, and has value against offensive teams that have difficulty touching it as well. Z-Hydro Pump and full offensive investment makes this Fini set a little more immediately threatening and adds to its wallbreaking potential - as cant say pointed out to me on Discord, three physdef mons might be a bit much and we're lacking in firepower anyway so have at it. Thought about Primarina here, but I have less experience with that, so if someone else wants to nom it then be my guest <3 Offensive Fini is pretty interchangeable with Prima so either or.

Last edited:

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Damn u ethan06 for stealing my idea, I was going to nom waterium fini...
Looking at our team composition so far, I still see us being weak to Mamo and other bulky grounds, and also not having a resist to Fire or Water attacks. Makes the lack of a water resist less of a problem, but not having a fire resist to switch in on Blaziken (and the Zards) doesn't seem like the greatest idea in a meta where they're so dominant. To fix this, I propose:

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Crunch / Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance

Gyarados provides a reliable switch in to Fire and Water types, and with the help of intimidate can tackle things like Mamo and (if it stays in base form) Blaze just remembered Stone Edge exists lol, as well as being able to dish out lots of damage to fat grounds like Hippo. Its great natural bulk allows it to also handle more offensive waters such as Gren. Crunch is nice for damage on fat mons like Cress and Slowbro but we don't struggle with them all that much thanks to Aegi, so Ice Fang could be run as another way to check Mence. I would invest a little more in bulk, but this particular calc caught my eye: 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 186-222 (100 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
My thought are that it could also be brought alongside Lop, as it is still very powerful and quite bulky outside of Mega evolving, and another Intim user never hurts :))

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I'm pretty sold on Waterium Z Tapu Fini for this team, not sure if it's possible to top that for the current squad. But for the sake of offering another suggestion I'll go with another interesting Water-type that can address our issues similarly.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Level: 50
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Liquidation

This team is lacking in the offense department right now and Azumarill is an interesting option to address that, I had difficulty deciding on this or AV but I think CB Azumarill benefits this team more since this team has plenty of bulk. Nothing special about this set, only thing to note is that 28 Speed allows Azumarill to outspeed 4 Speed Celesteela which is a benchmark very worth hitting so that you can Liquidation spam it more easily. Superpower isn't a necessity since Porygon2 and Ferrothorn are covered well as is but I don't think Knock Off is doing enough for this team to be worth it over hitting Ferrothorn.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wanna nom something kinda different, but I haven't totally nailed down the specifics of the set, rather just the general idea:

spidr (Araquanid) @ Focus Sash / Wacan Berry / Waterium Z / Wave Incense / Aguav Berry
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk ?
Adamant Nature ?
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab / Mirror Coat / ?

So the theme seems to be bulky water that scares out Blaziken I think. This guy does that but can also support Lopunny with webs, meaning we don't need to worry about scarfers / Blaziken in the back. I think this would also open up the door to the 6th mon being really interesting, and make it something that really loves webs or whatever (Z Kart / Z Volc would be really cool imo). We also have plenty of anti-Mence tech already, which is normally the bane of webs teams, so our opps need to think twice about bringing Mence anyway..

Araq has plenty of options too, Sash is really nice for leading so webs are guaranteed, but it's a valuable item that can be used on the 6th mon too, which is why Wacan is an option for anti-leading Koko. Waterium bops everything but we might want a different Z move in the 6th slot, so a Water-boosting item is also an option (wave best so we can get our aesthetic on). Super berry is also great because then you can switch into Blaziken twice instead of once!

idk what's best in the last slot, but hurting Fini looks appealing because outside Zapdos (who gets Calm Minded on) we have nothing for it lol.

It's not Blaziken I'd fear, Lando and Zap can go some distance against that, so much as CharX and more importantly Hippo.
Which is why Fini is looking better than Prima (an alternative ethan06 suggested). Their difference in bulk is negligible, simply adjust investment to get what you need from either. This is however a case where we lack answers to Yawn spam. Fini provides Misty Terrain to prevent sleep, but also offensively pressures Hippo to possibly prevent SR being set, allowing Zapdos to more easily check Hippo's common partner Mence (also the slightly less common Lucario and Kartana). Fini being able to go some distance vs neutral Mence is also particularly helpful for facing this archetype.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
ok what do we want to add?

praise wallbird \o/

So what we have so far is Lopunny, Landorus-T, Aegislash, Zapdos. The first thing that jumps out to me as problematic is Mamoswine; only Lopunny is able to sort of go toe-to-toe with it, and it can't switch in. Everything else is in trouble against it so I think that in order to deal with it properly, and also to patch our burgeoning weakness to mixed Blaziken, I'm suggesting CM Tapu Fini:

Tapu Fini @ Waterium Z
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Taunt

This nomination is mainly for filling holes in the team's structure from a type perspective, as I noted above. Fini gives us a number of things: resistance to Water and Fire-type attacks, terrain control, a Mamoswine check, a Greninja check, a sturdy Blaziken check. I picked CM as a set to give us an offensive wincon; this thing can set up and go to town on bulky teams by itself, and has value against offensive teams that have difficulty touching it as well. Z-Hydro Pump and full offensive investment makes this Fini set a little more immediately threatening and adds to its wallbreaking potential - as cant say pointed out to me on Discord, three physdef mons might be a bit much and we're lacking in firepower anyway so have at it. Thought about Primarina here, but I have less experience with that, so if someone else wants to nom it then be my guest <3 Offensive Fini is pretty interchangeable with Prima so either or.
Damn u ethan06 for stealing my idea, I was going to nom waterium fini...
Looking at our team composition so far, I still see us being weak to Mamo and other bulky grounds, and also not having a resist to Fire or Water attacks. Makes the lack of a water resist less of a problem, but not having a fire resist to switch in on Blaziken (and the Zards) doesn't seem like the greatest idea in a meta where they're so dominant. To fix this, I propose:

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Crunch / Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance

Gyarados provides a reliable switch in to Fire and Water types, and with the help of intimidate can tackle things like Mamo and (if it stays in base form) Blaze just remembered Stone Edge exists lol, as well as being able to dish out lots of damage to fat grounds like Hippo. Its great natural bulk allows it to also handle more offensive waters such as Gren. Crunch is nice for damage on fat mons like Cress and Slowbro but we don't struggle with them all that much thanks to Aegi, so Ice Fang could be run as another way to check Mence. I would invest a little more in bulk, but this particular calc caught my eye: 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 186-222 (100 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
My thought are that it could also be brought alongside Lop, as it is still very powerful and quite bulky outside of Mega evolving, and another Intim user never hurts :))
I'm pretty sold on Waterium Z Tapu Fini for this team, not sure if it's possible to top that for the current squad. But for the sake of offering another suggestion I'll go with another interesting Water-type that can address our issues similarly.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Liquidation

This team is lacking in the offense department right now and Azumarill is an interesting option to address that, I had difficulty deciding on this or AV but I think CB Azumarill benefits this team more since this team has plenty of bulk. Nothing special about this set, only thing to note is that 28 Speed allows Azumarill to outspeed 4 Speed Celesteela which is a benchmark very worth hitting so that you can Liquidation spam it more easily. Superpower isn't a necessity since Porygon2 and Ferrothorn are covered well as is but I don't think Knock Off is doing enough for this team to be worth it over hitting Ferrothorn.
I wanna nom something kinda different, but I haven't totally nailed down the specifics of the set, rather just the general idea:

spidr (Araquanid) @ Focus Sash / Wacan Berry / Waterium Z / Wave Incense / Aguav Berry
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk ?
Adamant Nature ?
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab / Mirror Coat / ?

So the theme seems to be bulky water that scares out Blaziken I think. This guy does that but can also support Lopunny with webs, meaning we don't need to worry about scarfers / Blaziken in the back. I think this would also open up the door to the 6th mon being really interesting, and make it something that really loves webs or whatever (Z Kart / Z Volc would be really cool imo). We also have plenty of anti-Mence tech already, which is normally the bane of webs teams, so our opps need to think twice about bringing Mence anyway..

Araq has plenty of options too, Sash is really nice for leading so webs are guaranteed, but it's a valuable item that can be used on the 6th mon too, which is why Wacan is an option for anti-leading Koko. Waterium bops everything but we might want a different Z move in the 6th slot, so a Water-boosting item is also an option (wave best so we can get our aesthetic on). Super berry is also great because then you can switch into Blaziken twice instead of once!

idk what's best in the last slot, but hurting Fini looks appealing because outside Zapdos (who gets Calm Minded on) we have nothing for it lol.
~~~

I'm voting for Psynergy's Azu because Choice Band looks really nice, as it can punch holes for Lop to clean. I would have voted Fini but Misty Terrain makes Aegi's job hard

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
Voting for ethan06's Tapu Fini. Just can't go past the mon I was originally gonna nom myself.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Lego's Mega Gyarados

This mon briefly crossed my mind as a way to help with Mimikyu and generally set up and kill things but then I went with Fini. I reckon Fini is best but this would be good too

ethan06's Tapu Fini

This is needed as I believe preparing against Blaziken should be prioritized, but we really need some offensive presence on the team for the next slot.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
As I said previously, I think Tapu Fini is really hard to top on this team at the moment so I'm tossing my vote there as well.

Tapu Fini. I do think it would be nice to see a little speed on that girl though, she's been eating too much McDonald's!

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
Tapu Fini. Offensive Fini is really good in the meta and the CM set currently outclasses Primarina as a bulky offensive water rn

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I would have liked more votes for this round but Fini has such a commanding lead that it's not really worth stretching it out...

ethan06's offensive Fini: 6
LegoFigure's Mega Gyara: 1
Psynergy's Azumarill: 1​

So what do we add in the last slot? I feel like it's wide open for what direction we go from here; do we add a second mega, more bulk, more speed, an answer to a common archetype that we struggle against, or all of these....? (or something else!)

~~~~~~~~

As for my nom, I think we really need a fire-type, and we haven't got a Z move user yet. I was seriously considering bulky wisp Volc but it a) gives another status user whose role conflicts with Fini's terrain, and b) doesn't use a Z move either. So I'm going with .....

gen 1 heatran.png

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower / Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Bloom Doom gives us a lure option against bulky waters like opposing Fini, Suicune, Rotom-W, and also lets us bop Hippo without having to rely purely on Fini. Flamethrower is reliable STAB, although Magma Storm is an option for trapping Water-types that switch in so firing off the Z move is safe. Earth Power is for Naganadel which goes to town on us, also hurts Pex which is cool coz Lando doesn't wanna switch in on Scalds all the time. Ancient Power is for Charizard Y which also goes to town on us.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
we haven't got a Z move user yet
Fini is Waterium :p ofc that's subject to change but it is for the time being.

Oki so we've got Mega Lopunny, Landorus-T, Aegislash, Zapdos, Fini. This is actually quite solid - the only thing I can think of that would mess us up at all (besides Naganadel, which cant say mentioned) would be stall cores involving Chansey + Toxapex / Skarmory / Gliscor. Chansey is a bit difficult for this team, as its teammates can easily take care of Lopunny and it doesn't really fear anything else besides perhaps Lando. Maybe some sort of stallbreaker is in order? That said, I'm going to follow jake's lead and try to put a stop to Charizard and Naganadel:

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb

Okay so as has been mentioned above, we have an issue with strong special attackers such as Naganadel and Mega Charizard Y, and to a lesser extent things like Thundurus-T, so I feel like using some form of Tyranitar set as an all-purpose special sponge would be a really good call. I initially posted Choice Band Tyranitar here in an attempt to hit stallmons like Chansey, Toxapex, and Celesteela a little bit harder but on reflection, I feel that capitalising on Tyranitar's ability to take special hits with Assault Vest is of far greater value to the team so that's what I'm locking in with. We can take +2 Naga Z-Draco, yay! Moveset is subject to change - I feel that Crunch and Earthquake have gotta stay for reliable damage and a way of doing some sort of damage to Toxapex, but one of Stone Edge or Rock Tomb (not both) could easily be cleared out to make room for Ice Punch, Fire Punch, or Superpower. have at ittttt

Last edited:
Reactions: PPB
In addition to fixing a few vulnerabilities (CharY, Naganadel, opposing Fini), this team seriously needs more damage and speed.

nihilego.gif

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Psychic

First three moves are standard and obvious. I chose Psychic for the filler move because otherwise this team concedes to Venusaur. (And it gives a bonus chance to OHKO Naganadel!)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
are people still interested in this? I got busy irl and forgot to run it. we can try to finish off the team or if people lost interest because the team looked bad then we can start again..?

either way I thought reviving it so I have something to stream with could be cool!

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
jroxas' Choice Scarf Nihilego

people had two months to add more sets so can i assume voting is open?

(I thought scarf nihi was perfect at the time as well if that helps)

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
Seconding Ethan, without jroxas' nihilego yo this team seems a little passive to me.

My new job is well underway, I finally got all the annoying grinding BS done in US like Battle Tree, Bottle Cap grinding, and Pokepelago building that's needed to make actual competitive teams done, and I am ready to get back into a 3DS Battle Spot Singles. But I come and see this Create a Team just inches from completion. Let's follow it through! I decided to dig back through and recap what we got so far:

I'm going with Lop stuffs again. I've built ~10 Lopunny teams over the past few weeks. I think it's an interesting mon.
+

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch / Substitute / Quick Attack / Encore / Toxic / Healing Wish / Baton Pass / literally anything, decide later
- Fake Out

EV spreads as basic as it can be, but is pretty much best for what we want from it.
Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 236 Def / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Mimikyu Let's Snuggle Forever vs. 244 HP / 236+ Def Landorus-T: 163-193 (83.5 - 98.9%) (Mimi takes Helmet from this)
-1 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 236+ Def Landorus-T: 69-82 (35.3 - 42%)
+1 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 236+ Def Landorus-T: 153-181 (78.4 - 92.8%)
These are pretty important imo.
252 SpA Nihilego Hidden Power Ice vs. 244 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 160-192 (82 - 98.4%). Is something you get just for investing 4 in spdef, minor but we take it. it's 1/16 to 1HKO otherwise.
20 speed gives us 114 raw stat. Which is faster than Adamant 252 Tyranitar, and faster than -1 252+ Nihilego.
Lop just has an amazing immediate speed tier. Being faster than Koko, Gren, Naga et cetera is really valuable.
I personally really like phys def Lando as a partner. Setting SR and getting Rocky Helmet chip can let Lopunny pick off the weakened threats later on. The slow U-turn can also be used to bring it the frailer mons (Lopunny) safely.
I'm not steadfast on Landorus, but I do think they pair well together. A different mon in a simlar role could be subbed into its place later on if it fits the team.

For an idea of the places it could go
A few of my teams

Other people's teams (all 2000+)
(This and similar varients consistently get 2150+)

You'll notice that nearly all of the have one of the 3 water/fairy mons, they also pair exceptionally well with Lopunny. All 3 of them can be built in a number of differnt ways and be tweaked to handle specific matchups.
We got a lot of votes to start us off which is really cool. Here are the results:

~~~~~~~~~~

For my nomination i'm going with a fat Steel-type so we have an Ice-resist

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 204 HP / 52 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield

In Jhon's original Lopunny nomination back in the first CCaT he included a fat steel option with Aegislash and Magnezone and I really like Aegi in that slot. I'm nominating standard SubToxic because it's Aegi's best set in general, and saves the Z move slot for a different Pokemon we can add later. It also pivots a bit easier thanks to Leftovers and provides really nice passive damage with Toxic and Lando's Stealth Rock which enables Lop to pick up KOes more often.

I just stole the spread we use in BSSF, there might be a better / team-specific one we can change to.
praise wallbird \o/

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA / 12 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Ice
- Roost

This is a mostly standard Zapdos set, Speed creep on Zapdos to outpace Breloom is always nice but this takes it a little bit further to outspeed Timid Celesteela. Uncommon as that set may be it does annoy this core a bit so it never hurts to be safe. Normally I'd run Toxic with Volt Switch but we already have Aegislash so that's not necessary (although two Toxic users isn't a bad thing!), we can switch that to Thunderbolt if we want but I think having the Volt Switch option for Lopunny is worth it. HP Ice is also great for this team anyway to ease the Mega Salamence matchup and also deals with Landorus-T. Heat Wave is also nice for Ferrothorn, Kartana and friends.
praise wallbird \o/

Tapu Fini @ Waterium Z
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Taunt

I think for the sake of getting this done it's best to go with the Nihilego. The team really could use another mon that's above the 100 speed tier from the get go and an offensive Poison type is much appreciate in the world of Tapus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)