Battle Stadium General Questions Thread

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you've got a simple question about the Battle Stadium formats and not sure where to post, this is the place!

FAQ:
  • What is Battle Stadium?
    • The Battle Stadium forum is a combination of all things you find in the Victory Station (VS) option from the main menu in Sword and Shield. Battle Stadium is the collection of online ranked modes on the Nintendo Switch games themselves. The modes are 3v3 Singles (BSS) and 4v4 Doubles (VGC/BSS); you still being 6 Pokémon though and check what the opponent’s team of 6 is at team preview by pressing X.
  • How do I play Battle Stadium?
    • You need a Nintendo Switch Online Account, then it’s simply a matter of going to the VS menu, choosing Battle Stadium (the first option), then ranked battles (the second option). You’ll need to put the Pokémon you want to use into a “battle box” from the storage PC by pressing X twice to bring up the battle box selection and moving the necessary Pokémon into them. You can also use rental teams if you’ve registered any with codes.
  • What are the rules? What's banned?
    • The simplest way of explaining the rules of Battle Stadium is that it's an online, player-vs-player version of the Battle Tower. Only certain legendary Pokemon are banned (cover legends such as Zacian, Zamazenta, Melmetal and so on. You can only use one of each item on your team too.

Last edited:
What are some of the top Trick Room abusers nowadays, for singles, doubles, etc.? Basically the guys that are solid TR choices more or less regardless of format and rules changes.

What are some of the top Trick Room abusers nowadays, for singles, doubles, etc.? Basically the guys that are solid TR choices more or less regardless of format and rules changes.
Porygon2 and ESPECIALLY Cresselia. they are the go-to trick roomers regardless of format

edit: damn it i thought you said setters not abusers. Mega Mawile is fantastic regardless of format. Heatran is also a classic and on the special side. Tapu Bulu is dope too in both formats. I've also seen Choice Band Ferro in both formats. Snorlax is also absolutely potent

Porygon2 and ESPECIALLY Cresselia. they are the go-to trick roomers regardless of format

edit: damn it i thought you said setters not abusers. Mega Mawile is fantastic regardless of format. Heatran is also a classic and on the special side. Tapu Bulu is dope too in both formats. I've also seen Choice Band Ferro in both formats. Snorlax is also absolutely potent
Thanks! I'll breed me a TR Mawile, and keep an eye for Bulu and the Pain Heatrain.

What is the standard CM Tapu Fini EV spread in Battle Spot Doubles? Haven't been able to find it

EDIT: Also what about the standard Celesteela ev spread?

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's not every day I ask a question, but I'm in a pretty unusual situation right now!

So, my trusty New 3DS XL is in pretty bad shape: the R button is totally fucked, the paint is peeling, and I'm worried about what's going to happen to it next. IDK if its just cuz its a launch one or what, but I don't think this thing has much left in the tank.

So, it seems like I can scrunge up enough cash to get a refurbished regular N3DS, which is awesome (tho at the cost of some PC games, rip). I got ONE big problem though.

Whenever you start a battle spot season, the game has always said "your ranking will be reset if you switch 3DSes". That would REALLY suck, I already got some nice progress in on Special this season, starting over would be lame!

Thing is, the message is pretty vague, so I looked it up, and according to PGL: https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/support/2/en/manual/manual_battle/

It seems like if you do a system transfer, you keep your rating? I know I basically answered my own question, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with this, because I'd like to jump ship to a new shiny 3DS asap before my big red one kicks the bucket lol, because if happens, then I'm gonna get my friend list nuked again and lose laddering time x_x

1. What does Drifblim do in Doubles here? Its ranked there IIRC.

2. What makes Primarina so much better here than in Smogon Singles? It seems like Singles here is OU with non-legend Ubers (IE: Blaziken, Mega Salamence).

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

2. What makes Primarina so much better here than in Smogon Singles? It seems like Singles here is OU with non-legend Ubers (IE: Blaziken, Mega Salamence).
1) Unburden Drifblim with a Misty/Psychic Seed paired with Tapu Fini/Lele is a pretty reliable Tailwind setter, especially because it's immune to Fake Out. It has other interesting moves that work well with its doubled speed like Rain Dance/Sunny Day, Will-O-Wisp, Acrobatics, Disable, and Destiny Bond.

2) Firstly, BSS is definitely not 3v3 OU. Bringing only 3 Pokemon each battle is a big enough mechanic change on its own to separate the metagames, but the banlist is actually very different to OU. Blaziken and Salamencite being legal is just the start of it, there's also Aegislash, Gengarite, Kangaskhanite, Lucarionite, Metagrossite, and Pheromosa running around and no Diancie, Ash-Greninja, Keldeo, Kyurem-B, Magearna, or Zygarde. I know you asked about Primarina but reading the "Singles here is OU without legends" always bothers me lol.

Anyway about Primarina, Sparkling Aria hitting through Subs is pretty huge, as things like Poison Heal Gliscor, Swarm Volcarona, Curse Mimikyu, Toxic Aegislash, Leech Seed Celesteela, Toxic Heatran, Moody Glalie, Encore/Disable Mega Alakazam, and Mega Lopunny all use Substitute to function properly and can be really obnoxious strategies in 3v3. Primarina also has one of the strongest Z moves in the whole game and being able to get an easy KO in 3v3 is huge. There's also item clause in Battle Spot, so Pokemon that can make use of several items are much easier to slap on teams than ones that need a specific item to function. Primarina can use a Z move, Choice Specs, Focus Sash, or even Assault Vest very well. Finally, resisting both of Mega Blaziken's STABs is huge in BSS, while Primarina's STABs get amazing neutral coverage. It's just a super solid Pokemon in general.

edit @ below: I'm trying to avoid encouraging Minimize lol

Last edited:
1) Unburden Drifblim with a Misty/Psychic Seed paired with Tapu Fini/Lele is a pretty reliable Tailwind setter, especially because it's immune to Fake Out. It has other interesting moves that work well with its doubled speed like Rain Dance/Sunny Day, Will-O-Wisp, Acrobatics, Disable, and Destiny Bond.
Don't forget access to Minimize.

C'mon, we've all done it at least once.

Do you think we'll have a last online competition ?
If not I know Special Season 6 aka BSS UU is a good way to have fun :)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Do you think we'll have a last online competition ?
If not I know Special Season 6 aka BSS UU is a good way to have fun :)
Most likely not, they had been announced right after the last one all year so considering that hasn't happened yet I think the Mega Melee was the last.

I had a battle on the BS Doubles tody. It was against rain team, with mega Swampert. But to my suprise, Latios (Timid, 252 EVs in Speed) outsped the opponents mega. I looked at the speed calculations, and only way it shoudl be possible is if that ´pert had -Speed nature with 0 Evs.

It went like this:

Turn1:
I sent Raichu (kantonian) and Breloom, my opponent Thornadus and Weavile
Breloom uses Protect
Weavile uses Fake out on Breloom
Raichu uses Fake out on Thornadus
Thornadus flinches

Turn2:
Thornadus uses Rain Dance
Breloom uses Mach Punch on Weavile, activates Focus Sash
Weavile uses Ice punch on Breloom, activates Focus Sash (bad for me, as Breloom was my answer to Swampert)
Raichu uses Gigavolt Havoc on Thornadus, KOes it
opponent sends out swampert

Turn3:
Weavile switches into Dragonite
Raichu switches into Latios
Swampert MegaEvolves
Breloom uses Protect
Swampert uses Earthquake (not doing any damage)

Turn4:
Breloom switches into Bisharp
Latios uses Ice Beam on Dragonite, doing around 75-80% damage
Swampert uses Waterfall on Bisharp, doing around 95 % damage
Dragonite uses Dragon Pulse on Latios, doing aroung 95 % damage

Turn5:
Bisharp uses Sucker Punch on Dragonite, KOes it, is hur by Life Orb
Latios uses Draco Meteor on Swamper, doing around 65 % damage
Swampert uses Waterfall on Latios, KOes it
Opponent sends out Weavile
I send out Breloom

Turn 6
Bisharp and Breloom use Protect
Weavile uses Fake out on Bisharp
Swampert uses Waterfall on Breloom
Rain stops

Turn 7
Bisharp uses Sucker Punch on Weavile, KOes it, is hurt by Life Orb, faints from the damage
Breloom uses Bullet Seed on Swamper, KOes it

Yeah, I know I probably made a lot of mistakes, but this Swampert speed tier is weird. How in the hell did Latios outsped mega Swampert in the rain? Or is this some new and improved Swamper set I didn´t hear about? My opponents name was Jaime, and had Politoed and I think Cress in team prewiev (beside those 4 he brought)

Uh, sorry about posting here and not in the questions thread. Yeah, I have reply of this battle (that´s how I was able to describe it in such detail). I try to record it on my phone and post a video of it.
Just type the replay code here lol, we can put it into our own 3DS that way.

So I have searched through the threads on here but, and I could be wrong, have not encountered somewhere that really gives a crash course into doubles team building or really understanding the meta. Just looking for

-Understanding BSD Meta
-Team building(synergy/movesets)
-Intro to held items(in reference to the current meta)

Sorry if this is all somewhere and I missed.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
So I have searched through the threads on here but, and I could be wrong, have not encountered somewhere that really gives a crash course into doubles team building or really understanding the meta. Just looking for

-Understanding BSD Meta
-Team building(synergy/movesets)
-Intro to held items(in reference to the current meta)

Sorry if this is all somewhere and I missed.
We unfortunately do not have heaps of resources for BSD, especially not guides which seems to be what you're looking for. The best way to get a glimpse of the meta is to check out the Viability Rankings or our Usage Stats (select Doubles from the dropdown), this will also show you the best items to use on each Pokemon. Since VGC18 is looking to be extremely similar to BSD I would expect more resources to come out soon enough.

Hi,

my main playing field is Battle Spot Doubles. It´s mainly because I don´t like rebreeding/recatching the same pokemon every game. It´s why I don´t play VGC - most of my poke are not from Alola. I have build pretty good team, peaked at 1803, but my problem is Kommo-o. It usually easily setups on me and then sweeps. So I need a way to improve my team to help me deal with it. My team is:

Gengar(mega)
Item: Gengarite
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond
- Protect

My mega pokemon since 2014, and it´s been pretty good. Kills Lele, Koko, MegaGross, deals good damage to almost everything else. Lives Clangorous Soulblaze even without protect. When facing something you can´t easily kill (ie. pokemon next to Rage Powdering Amoongus), simply Destiny Bond it.

Raichu(Kantonian)
Item: Electrium Z
Ability: Lightingrod
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
- Fake Out
- Encore
- Endeavor
- Volt Tackle

Yep, physical Raichu from the Pikachu Cup event. This thing is very, very good with Gengar and Suicune. Allows Gengar to check Koko even when Koko wins the speed tie, prevents using any electric moves. Is faster then MegaMum or ZardY, which means it gets Fake Out first, or Encore. His special bulk it also pretty suprising. And did I mention how powerfull is Gigavolt Havoc? I mean, it straight up kills most Lele. Oh, and why physical? Calm Mind Fini. Not to mention the cheeky AV pokemon. Volt Tackle recoil might seem bad, but it works very nicely with encore. I don´t know how many times i won because Raichu was able to Endeavor some bulky pokemon and his teammate finishing it.

Suicune
Item: Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure (I sooo badly want to use my Inner focus shiny Suicune from Crystal VC, sadly VC pokemon are not allowed in rated battles)
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, rest divided equally between Defense and Special Defense
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Sheer Cold

My main form of speed control. If both me and my opponent have tailwind set up, then I can use Icy Wind next turn to slow them. Incredibly bulky - survives Shattered Psyche from Lele in psychic terrain. What non-psychic, steel or dark type pokemon without AV can say that? Scald has nice chance of burning opponent. It´s my main form of checking Lando-T and Incineroar. Sheer Cold it desperation button. I used Snarl, but Sheer Cold is better for me.

Latios
Item: Soul Dew
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind

My second Tailwind setter and the mon I am thinking most about replacing. I was thinking of maybe giving it Choice Scarf, but I just don´t know... Shame, as Latios is one of my favourite pokemon. His job was supposed to be checking Lando-T and Kommo-o, and nuking things with Draco Meteor, but Lando usually has either Scarf (which means it outspeeds and kill Lati) or Assalut Vest (which means they won´t get OHKOed by Ice Beam and kill Lati), and boosted Kommo-o easily outspeeds and KOs Lati, while even if I get tailwind before, Psychic doesn´t KO so I have to relly on Draco Meteor. And that´s if I have Tailwind and my opponent not.

Breloom
Item: Focus Sash
- Protect
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch

This shroom is just so good! Easily checks Ttar, Fini and others. Puts things to sleep. One fault is that I sometimes need to relly on enough seeds to hit to KO. For example, on Fini I usually need hit 3 times to KO it. It´s been performing amazingly well since the days of ORAS.

Bisharp
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
- Protect
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Intimidate absorber and great attacker. Survives Clangorous Soulblaze even without Protect. Knock Off OHKOes non-Z move Oranguru. Has problem with Incineroar tough, as it can´t deal much damage back. Lack of bulk also hurts. But along with Breloom and Raichu are core of my team.

So, what can I do to safely chceck Kommo-o? I was thinking Fini, but most of Kommo-o teams have also scarfed Bulu, so... So, any suggestions?

Pgede

Banned deucer.
In Doubles, my current rating is 1634 so I'm #2 in Canada doubles - #1 overall. What is considered a good goal to aim for?

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
In Doubles, my current rating is 1634 so I'm #2 in Canada doubles - #1 overall. What is considered a good goal to aim for?
It varies a little by format (singles usually gets higher ratings than doubles, for example), but 1700+ is usually seen as pretty good benchmark to aim for. You should always aim for higher and higher though! There are people here who have broken 2000 before, for example, so it really depends on how far you want to go.

Pgede

Banned deucer.
LegoFigure11

That sounds good! I unfortunately tilted down to 1570... but Im not gonna just stay fallen down -- gotta get up and work back up!

This is the team I use. It serves me well, but if there's anythign that can be improved plz let me know.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect
- Ice Punch

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Psychic
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Zapdos @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Pressure
252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 SpDef
Bold Nature
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Incineroar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Fake Out
-Low Kick
-Flare Blitz
-Knock Off

Gastrodon-East @ Mago Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 27 Spe
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Protect

Meta+Lele are my fave leads, 95% of the time they are leading the pack.

Simple question:

Can I play battlespot with the current meta on SM carts or do I need to buy USUM?

Thanks

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Simple question:

Can I play battlespot with the current meta on SM carts or do I need to buy USUM?

Thanks
You can ladder on cart with SM but you'll only be met with a dead outdated meta. The two games are on a separate ladder since USUM has some Pokemon that aren't in SM, so you'd never run into someone playing on the current meta unless you're playing with a USUM cart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)