CAP Updates: Mollux Discussion (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mollux
Abilites: Dry Skin / Illuminate
Stats: 95 HP / 45 Atk / 83 Def / 131 SpA / 105 SpD / 76 Spe
Mollux's Concept said:
Name: Extreme Makeover: Typing Edition

General Description: The idea here is to create a Pokemon who's typing, while normally considered poor defensively and/or offensively, becomes a strong selling point of the Pokemon itself via help from an ability, stats, and/or movepool.

Justification: There are a lot of typings we scoff at on a daily basis because of their serious flaws, often forgetting about their strong points. For example, Poison is a really terrible offensive typing, but a decent defensive typing, while the Ice typing is good offensively, but awful defensively. Instead of just accepting that some typings will just ruin a Pokemon, this CAP concept aims to take that "terrible typing", and find ways to fix it (usually via ability, movepool, or stats) to the point where the formerly terrible typing becomes the CAP's strong point! The reason this CAP could benefit OU is because a Pokemon who makes a "bad typing" into a great one could find many unique offensive and/or defensive niches that aren't currently found!

Questions To Be Answered

-What does it take for a Pokemon to overcome its "bad typing" so much that its typing becomes good? Are the stats the biggest contributer, is the ability the thing that saves it, does movepool make it a force, or is it a combination of the above?

-How does the typing makeover effect the Pokemon's playstyle? Does the Pokemon become a unique wall that uses its makeover to overcome its typing's normally fatal flaws, does the make over make a terrible offensive typing into a fearsome sweeper, does the makeover make it into a formidible combination of deffense and offense to a typing that brings it neither, or does the makeover bring forth something none of us see coming from the typing?

-Which resistances and immunities are the most relevant to the metagame? Sure, this concept is aiming to have a "bad typing" become good, but part of that will require the bad typing to have some key resistances and/or immunties to certain typings to defend against or set up on, while still having a very unorthodox competitive typing. This works the other way around too, what are the typings most relevant to hit super effectively or at least neutral?

-How will the rest of the OU metagame react to this extreme type makeover? Will Pokemon start carrying moves they normally wouldn't carry to break through a new defensive threat, will some Pokemon take on new defensive roles due to resisting the unorthodox STABs CAP 3 may carry? Or will This Pokemon, despite being a very real threat, not have many "custom made sets" to beat it, being more of a Pokemon that is a reaction to the metagame than causing a metagame reaction?

-Finally, how will this effect the teams CAP3 is on? Will this be the kind of Pokemon who needs a lot of support to become a threat, will this Pokemon be more of key team member to execute another strategy, or will this be the kind of Pokemon that's part of the glue that holds the team together?
Mollux's creation dates back to the fifth generation, a time where weather teams dominated the OU metagame. A Fire/Poison typing in tandem with Dry Skin demonstrate how Mollux's concept was accomplished, allowing it to patch up one of its weaknesses and hold its own both against and as a part of the ever-present rain teams of the metagame.

Fast-forward to today's CAP metagame. With the death of perma-weather back in generation 6, dedicated weather teams aren't nearly as common. Despite this, Mollux still holds its own as a great pick for teams thanks to its unique defensive capabilities, support moves including Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin, and ability to hit hard even without investment thanks to its high base 131 SpA. Mollux is most commonly seen running a specially defensive set with STABs, Recover, and a utility move. It occasionally makes use of a Choice Scarf set, though this set in much more rare in comparison due to its less-than-stellar Speed and general competition it faces in this role.

With all of this in mind, Mollux sits at a comfortable place in today's metagame. It's currently ranked as an A rank threat in the Gen 7 CAP Viability Rankings, and was almost unanimously voted by the community to be a consistency update. As such, the focus of this thread will not be to alter Mollux competitively, but to update Mollux's Gen 5 movepool for consistency with Gen 7 movepools. Let's get right to it!

Here are some guiding questions:
  • What new moves from Generation 6 and Generation 7 should Mollux receive?
  • Are there any other moves Mollux should receive for consistency (new TMs, tutors, et cetera)?

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
What new moves from Generation 6 and Generation 7 should Mollux receive?

Venom Drench is one that immediately comes to mind here, as it does have a very effective poison typing. Its pretty much useless competitively, as it most often does not run Toxic, and it would a wasted moveslot for its coverage. While this may turn into an unpopular opinion, Fire Lash could be considered as a consistency move, as it does share some similarities with Heatmor, although this might be stretching it too much. Its also physical, meaning it has no reason to use it over Lava Plume or Fire Blast.

Burn Up could be considered, but I think that may be a bit too much in terms of competitive use.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
What new moves from Generation 6 and Generation 7 should Mollux receive?
Given that it's a lava lamp, Dazzling Gleam has particular flavor value. I'm wondering if it has an competitive value though. I'll be looking into this and will post my findings later.

Burn Up is an interesting move for Mollux - instead of patching up Mollux's typing, it gets rid of one of them. Still not sure about the competitive value of the move though.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Mollux is A-Rank for good reason, it can put in serious work. It's bulky, strong, and has an amazing move pool. It really doesn't need anything competitively, as it does fine currently.

• What new moves from Generation 6 and Generation 7 should Mollux receive?
I will vouch for Mollux to get two moves. The first is Venom Drench.
I assume Mollux is in the Amorphous Egg Group and a few Poison types from this Egg Group get this move.

The second is an often overlooked move: Mystical Fire. It is distributed to two Pokemon only, currently: Delphox and Mismagius.
Lava Plume, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, and Eruption directly outclass Mystical Fire. It would be a flavor move, obviously.

The move description is: "The user attacks by breathing a special, hot fire. This also lowers the target's Sp. Atk stat".
I think Mollux is capable of breathing an especially hot fire.

Last edited:
Now I'm not a common forum goer, actually this is my first post on here, but I have two suggestions for some flavor moves for mollux
I would suggest Venom Drench, mainly because everyone else has, but also because it makes sense for mollux to learn.
Another move that hasn't been brought up is Toxic Thread. I believe that this makes sense for mollux, as the description of the move does not specify what the thread is made of, and some gastropods in real life are capable of shooting out a harpoon like structure at prey, something you would imagine toxic thread could do

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Confide is universal.

I like Fairy-type moves as flavor. Mollux is in the Fairy egg group, and I can see it using Draining Kiss (' '==3) and Dazzling Gleam. Dazzling Gleam, however, does hit Pokemon like Cyclohm and Colossoil harder than Sludge Wave and Fire Blast, respectively.

I don't like Mystical Fire since that's reserved for magical Pokemon, and Mollux, as much as we love it, isn't magical.

I totally want to give Mollux Smart Strike. :P Cone snails in real life use a harpoon-shaped tooth for stabbing prey, and Mollux does the same (there's supplementary art of that).

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just mentioning that Mystical Fire is a really bad idea. Mollux likes spamming Lava Plume, which discourages physical attackers from switching in. Mystical Fire's 100% chance to lower SpA would be hugely annoying, actually potentially changing certain matchups (like Protean Greninja).

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Reach is right, didn't think too much about the secondary effect. Just that I'd always use plume on sets that aren't choice locked. I'd always use eruption or fire blast on sets with choice items. Mystical Fire could potentially have competitive use, which I did not consider. I withdraw my suggestion.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Competitively speaking, Dazzling Gleam gives Mollux a way to hit Dragons and specifically Zygarde and Garchomp that otherwise wall it pretty hard, so I'd prefer we not go down that road.

Mollux's movepool is pretty tidy. Here's the moves I would consider:

Gen 5/6 Tutors:
Bind - Mollux has tentacles and already learns fire spin.
Gastro Acid*
Gunk Shot*
Heat Wave*
Heal Bell*
Helping Hand*
Shock Wave (ORAS) - Weaker electric move.
Snore - Universal Tutor
Stealth Rock*
Trick*

*Repeats

Gen 6:
Confide and Secret Power as Universal TMs. Venom Drench as an Egg Move. Fun fact: Mollux isn't in the Amorphous Group, it's in Fairy and Field groups so it would get it from Seviper, Stunky, Woobat, or Nidorans.

Gen 7:
To be honest, a LOT of the Gen 7 originating moves that would fit and are flavorful are specific to one species, like Fire Lash, Baneful Bunker, Shell Trap, and Toxic Thread, or they have competitive implications like Laser Focus which could be quite powerful with Mollux's Fire/Poison/Electric coverage and high SpA. I don't really like Burn Up here because it detracts from Mollux's type-based concept.

Other Moves:
Lock-On fits its flavor as a conesnail and it could use it before Inferno (or Thunder I guess) - However it can't learn it via its Egg Groups. It could learn Mind Reader through Egg (Breloom, Roselia, Riolu, etc.)

Last edited:
I always wondered how come it doesn't learn Tail Glow, but considering its SpAtk it might be a bad idea.

-Spotlight is an interesting flavour move since it only works in Battle Royals and I can invision it using its lava lamp as a spotlight

-Strength Sap could be an option, mostly because of its ambiguous name and description (is it a special type of sap or am I sapping my opponent of its strengh?), however it has a lot of competitive implications as well, aside from giving it reliable recovery, so let's not go down that road

-Fire Lash sounds interesting

-Draining Kiss does give it some recovery, but the power is quite low so idk

-Dazzling Gleam could work, but Deck already touched upon it

Last edited:

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
I'm going to list off some moves I'd like to see

Venom Drench
Spikes
Burn Up
Sludge

Possibly the Move Shell Trap*

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Calcs will go in this order:
Mollux's best current/common move
Dazzling Gleam
Draining Kiss

Mollux @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam / Draining Kiss (would normally run Hidden Power Ground)

vs. Assault Vest Colossoil
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mollux Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 88 SpD Assault Vest Colossoil: 232-274 (57 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mollux Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 88 SpD Assault Vest Colossoil: 226-266 (55.5 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mollux Draining Kiss vs. 0 HP / 88 SpD Assault Vest Colossoil: 142-168 (34.8 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

vs. SubCoil Zygarde
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mollux Fire Blast vs. 240 HP / 212+ SpD Zygarde: 114-135 (27.3 - 32.3%) -- 63.5% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mollux Dazzling Gleam vs. 240 HP / 212+ SpD Zygarde: 224-264 (53.7 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mollux Draining Kiss vs. 240 HP / 212+ SpD Zygarde: 140-166 (33.5 - 39.8%) -- 22% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs. Offensive Garchomp
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mollux Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 170-201 (47.4 - 56.1%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mollux Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 332-392 (92.7 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mollux Draining Kiss vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 208-246 (58.1 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

vs. Defensive Cyclohm
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mollux Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 345-406 (82.1 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mollux Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 388-458 (92.3 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mollux Draining Kiss vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 242-286 (57.6 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs. Choice Band Tyranitar
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mollux Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 99-117 (28.9 - 34.2%) -- 3.6% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mollux Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 192-228 (56.1 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mollux Draining Kiss vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 122-144 (35.6 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Dazzling Gleam definitely enables a more viable Choice Specs set: Mollux can 2HKO five of its checks (though Colossoil and Cyclohm take heavy damage from its Fire-type and Poison-type STAB moves, respectively). Draining Kiss isn't nearly as bad, but it still hits them pretty hard.

Mollux @ Black Sludge
EVs: 216 HP / 252 SpA / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Lava Plume
- Sludge Wave
- Dazzling Gleam / Draining Kiss (would normally run Hidden Power Ground)
- Recover

vs. Assault Vest Colossoil
252+ SpA Mollux Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 88 SpD Assault Vest Colossoil: 156-184 (38.3 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Mollux Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 220 SpD Assault Vest Colossoil: 130-154 (31.9 - 37.8%) -- 91.5% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Mollux Draining Kiss vs. 0 HP / 220 SpD Assault Vest Colossoil: 82-98 (20.1 - 24%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

vs. SubCoil Zygarde
252+ SpA Mollux Fire Blast vs. 240 HP / 212+ SpD Zygarde: 76-90 (18.2 - 21.5%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mollux Dazzling Gleam vs. 240 HP / 212+ SpD Zygarde: 150-178 (35.9 - 42.6%) -- 93.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mollux Draining Kiss vs. 240 HP / 212+ SpD Zygarde: 94-112 (22.5 - 26.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs. Offensive Garchomp
252+ SpA Mollux Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 114-135 (31.8 - 37.7%) -- 91.3% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Mollux Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 222-262 (62 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Mollux Draining Kiss vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 138-164 (38.5 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

vs. Defensive Cyclohm
252+ SpA Mollux Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 231-273 (55 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mollux Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 260-306 (61.9 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Mollux Draining Kiss vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 162-192 (38.5 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs. Choice Band Tyranitar
252+ SpA Mollux Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 66-78 (19.2 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ SpA Mollux Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 130-154 (38 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Mollux Draining Kiss vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 82-98 (23.9 - 28.6%) -- 98% chance to 4HKO

Dazzling Gleam isn't as dangerous on this set, but it still makes good work of its checks on a bulkier set.

Mollux @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Dazzling Gleam / Draining Kiss (would normally run a utility move)
- Sludge Bomb / Toxic
- Recover

vs. SubCoil Zygarde
0 SpA Mollux Sludge Bomb vs. 240 HP / 212+ SpD Zygarde: 47-56 (11.2 - 13.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever*
0 SpA Mollux Dazzling Gleam vs. 240 HP / 212+ SpD Zygarde: 112-134 (26.8 - 32.1%) -- 37.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Mollux Draining Kiss vs. 240 HP / 212+ SpD Zygarde: 70-84 (16.7 - 20.1%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

*Although this calc is competitively relevant, Specially Defensive Mollux's tears do more damage to SubCoil Zygarde.

Remember how Mollux has that one moveslot on its specially defensive sets that you usually fill with Stealth Rock or Rapid Spin? Dazzling Gleam would be a good fit here too. It prevents Mollux from being set up bait for Zygarde as it is able to (very bravely!) break its subs, meaning Zygarde can't come in, use Substitute, and set up with Coil while Mollux cries to one of its teammates. Draining Kiss notably doesn't do this. While it's not exactly smart to spam this move against Zygarde, it definitely changes the matchup with it.

Dazzling Gleam is too powerful against Mollux's checks and counters, so no Dazzling Gleam imo. Draining Kiss makes less of an impact, meaning it can be considered for a consistency move if we want to give it a Fairy-type move. IMO, Mollux looks like it'd get a Fairy-type move, though I'm not quite sure why.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Draining Kiss
Sludge
Venom Drench

Other moves either change up too much matchups (Dazzling Gleam) or are just not flavourful (Burn Up).

Yes I say its not flavourful simply because Lava Lamps dont burn up or burst into open flames.

Discussion has been slowing down, so I'll open up the floor for updated movepool submissions. Here is Mollux's BW movepool:
Mollux's Current Movepool said:
Level Up:
– Bide
– Ember
4 – Acid
9 – Withdraw
12 – Acid Spray
17 – Confuse Ray
20 – Clear Smog
25 – Lava Plume
28 – Moonlight
28 – Acid Armor
33 – Heat Wave
36 - Recover
41 – Toxic Spikes
44 – Inferno
49 – Gunk Shot
52 – Eruption
57 – Final Gambit

Egg Moves (Fairy/Field Group):
Aqua Ring
Charm
Fire Spin
Gastro Acid
Heal Bell
Heal Pulse
Helping Hand
Rapid Spin
Trick
Sleep Talk
Stealth Rock

TM Moves:
TM04 Calm Mind
TM06 Toxic
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM22 SolarBeam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM35 Flamethrower
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM38 Fire Blast
TM42 Façade
TM43 Flame Charge
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM64 Explosion
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM87 Swagger
TM90 Substitute

Tutor:
None
In your movepool submission, please bold and list all moves that are added, and provide reasoning for why you chose these moves. Keep in mind that many Gen 7 movepools look very similar to Gen 5 movepools with only a few additions. Egg groups may not be changed.

Required Moves: Confide, Secret Power, Snore
Disallowed Moves: Burn Up, Dazzling Gleam, Mystical Fire, Spikes

I'd like to leave as much up to creative interpretation as possible, so the only required additions to Mollux's movepool are the universal TMs and tutor moves shown above. Moves on the disallowed list may not be included in your submission. Other than that, anything else we've discussed in the thread is fair game. You may also include moves that haven't yet been discussed if you feel they warrant a place in Mollux's updated movepool. Just remember that any moves added at this stage should have very little, if any, competitive relevance. jas61292 and I reserve the right to disallow moves at any time if the situation calls for it.

Please put WIP or Final Submission at the top of your submission post so I know whether or not it's complete.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Final Submission

– Bide
– Ember
4 – Acid
9 – Withdraw
12 – Acid Spray
17 – Confuse Ray
20 – Draining Kiss
25 – Clear Smog
28 – Lava Plume
33 – Moonlight
33 – Acid Armor
36 – Heat Wave
41 – Recover
44 – Toxic Spikes
49 – Inferno
52 – Gunk Shot
57 – Eruption
60 – Final Gambit
65 – Spotlight
I added Draining Kiss because, as I showed in my post with calcs, Draining Kiss does not provide any sort of competitive boost despite being a Fairy-type move (unlike Dazzling Gleam). Maybe it's just me, but Mollux looks like it should get some Fairy-type move, and this one makes the most flavor sense (look at those lips!) without being competitive. Had to shift all the moves down one slot each to place Draining Kiss at Level 20 while preserving the nice 3-5 spacing in movepool. Next, given that Mollux is a lava lamp, it can cast a Spotlight at it's opponent, and this move is useless in Singles.

Aqua Ring
Charm
Draining Kiss (Aromatisse, Slurpuff, Ribombee)
Fire Spin
Gastro Acid
Heal Bell
Heal Pulse
Helping Hand
Rapid Spin
Sleep Talk
Stealth Rock
Trick
Venom Drench (Skuntank)
Added Draining Kiss and Venom Drench. The former is a level-up move; the latter got pretty good support in the thread.

TM04 Calm Mind
TM06 Toxic
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM28 Leech Life
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM35 Flamethrower
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM38 Fire Blast
TM42 Façade
TM43 Flame Charge
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM64 Explosion
TM68 Giga Impact
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM100 Confide
Added Sleep Talk and Confide because they're universal. Leech Life is an odd one, but if you look at Shelmet, it learns Leech Life, so it stands to reason that Mollux does too.

Bind
Gastro Acid (repeat from egg move)
Gunk Shot (repeat from lvl up)
Heal Bell (repeat from egg move)
Heat Wave (repeat from lvl up)
Helping Hand (repeat from egg move)
Shock Wave
Snore

Stealth Rock(repeat from egg move)
Trick (repeat from egg move)
All bar Bind, Shock Wave, and Snore are repeats from its Level Up Movepool or its Egg Moves. Mollux already learns Fire Spin and has tentacles, so Bind makes sense. Decided that Shock Wave would be appropriate given that it learns a bunch of Electric-type moves anyways. Snore is universal.

Flash (Gen 5 / Gen 6 TM70)
Secret Power (ORAS TM94)
I considered Incinerate, but Mollux really doesn't need every Fire-type move under the sun. It also had access to it at the time of its creation.

Bind added to Tutor Moves
Confide added to TM List
Draining Kiss added to Egg Moves and Level Up (Level 20)
Leech Life added to TM List
Secret Power added to Transfer Only
Shock Wave added to Tutor Moves
Sleep Talk added to TM List
Snore added to Tutor Moves
Spotlight added to Level Up (Level 65)
Venom Drench added to Egg Moves

Egg Moves / Level Up moves added to Tutor Moves if applicable.
Level Up moves shifted by one slot down after Draining Kiss

EDIT: Added Venom Drench to egg moves.

Last edited:

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Final Submission

Level Up:
- Spotlight
– Bide
– Ember
4 – Acid
9 – Withdraw
12 – Acid Spray
17 – Confuse Ray
20 – Clear Smog
25 – Lava Plume
28 – Moonlight
28 – Acid Armor
33 – Heat Wave
36 - Recover
41 – Venom Drench
44 – Toxic Spikes
49 – Inferno
52 – Gunk Shot
57 – Eruption
60 - Final Gambit

Only added Venom Drench to the movepool, as there has been quite a demand for it, and I can see it being able to drench venom on the foe through its mouth. The level chosen for it closely matches existing Pokemon who get it, and levels were shifted to compensate. I was considering throwing in Sludge, but it doesn't have the same synergy as Venom Drench does. Also added Spotlight as a Heart Scale move, as Lava Lamps naturally produce light, while this one would definitely produce more. Past Gen Pokemon all get it at Lvl. 1 so that explains its placement.

Egg Moves (Fairy/Field Group):
Aqua Ring
Charm
Draining Kiss (Swirlix/Slurpuff)
Fire Spin
Gastro Acid
Heal Bell
Heal Pulse
Helping Hand
Rapid Spin
Trick
Sleep Talk
Stealth Rock

Added Draining Kiss, as it explains Mollux's Fairy Egg group, and I support snakes philosophy of it being fitting to learn a Fairy-type move. I chose to make it an egg move because of it not really fitting into Mollux's main moveset, which consists almost entirely of Fire and Poison type moves. Would get this through the Swirlix line, as it probably would've gotten the move when it was introduced.

TM Moves:
TM04 Calm Mind
TM06 Toxic
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM22 SolarBeam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM28 Leech Life
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM35 Flamethrower
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM38 Fire Blast
TM42 Façade
TM43 Flame Charge
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM64 Explosion
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM100 Confide

Added the required moves Sleep Talk and Confide. I was a bit iffy on Leech Life, but its reference material supports it more, plus it needs to consume energy, from heat or life force, to maintain the heat of the lava lamp on its back, so I decided to add it.

Tutor:
Bind
Gastro Acid
Gunk Shot
Heal Bell
Heat Wave
Helping Hand
Shock Wave
Snore
Stealth Rock
Trick

Most of these moves Mollux already gets, Bind fits well with its tentacles, Shock Wave because of the various Electric type moves that it gets, and Snore because of its near universal distribution. Not much else to say.

Secret Power (ORAS TM94)

Nothing new here.

Last edited:

G-Luke

WIP

0 Bide
0 Ember
4 Acid
9 Withdraw
12 Acid Spray
14 Sludge
17 Confuse Ray
20 Clear Smog
25 Lava Plume
28 Moonlight
28 Acid Armor
33 Heat Wave
36 Recover
44 Toxic Spikes
49 Inferno
52 Gunk Shot
57 Eruption
60 Final Gambit
66 Venom Drench

Added Sludge near the beggining levels as it is a weak poison attack. Venom Drench was added near the end, as I felt that it wouldn't douse things in venom til late in development.

Aqua Ring
Charm
Draining Kiss (Swirlix/Slurpuff)
Fire Spin
Gastro Acid
Heal Bell
Heal Pulse
Helping Hand
Rapid Spin
Trick
Sleep Talk
Stealth Rock
Spotlight (Clefairy/Clefable)

Added Draining Kiss because.....look at those lips! Also added Spotlight as it is a lamp, and its useless in a Singles based format.

TM04 Calm Mind
TM06 Toxic
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM22 SolarBeam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM35 Flamethrower
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM38 Fire Blast
TM42 Façade
TM43 Flame Charge
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM64 Explosion
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM100 Confide

Sleep Talk and Confide are required.

Bind
Gastro Acid

Gunk Shot
Heal Bell
Heat Wave
Helping Hand
Shock Wave
Snore
Stealth Rock

Trick

It learns most via level up anyways, and Snore is required. Shock Wave is due to it learning a bunch of powerful Electric type attacks and Bind because it has tentacles.

Secret Power (ORAS TM94)

Nothing new to add l.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission:

- Poison Sting
- Pin Missile

– Bide
– Ember
4 – Acid
9 – Withdraw
12 – Acid Spray
14 - Venom Drench
17 – Confuse Ray
20 – Clear Smog
25 – Lava Plume
28 – Moonlight
28 – Acid Armor
33 – Heat Wave
36 - Recover
41 – Toxic Spikes
44 – Inferno
49 – Gunk Shot
52 – Eruption
57 – Final Gambit

Mollux's design is based around a cone snail, a predatory mollusc / gastropod whose key hunting mechanism is stinging opponents with sharp needles fired at high speed to rupture skin. So as L0 / Heart Scale moves Mollux now learns Poison Sting and Pin Missile, two moves with zero competitive applications. Venom Drench is added at Level 14, seeing as Mollux now has a base move that can actually poison it doesn't need to be pushed that far up the level-up list.

Aqua Ring
Charm
Fire Spin
Gastro Acid
Heal Bell
Heal Pulse
Helping Hand
Mind Reader (Breloom, Roselia, Riolu)
Rapid Spin
Spotlight (Clefable, Spinda)
Sleep Talk
Stealth Rock
Trick

Spotlight works because Mollux is literally a lava lamp. Mollux also already has a lot of useful doubles moves and this would add to that repertoire in a flavorful way. Although Lock-On sounds more mechanistic for its hunting mechanism, Mind Reader fits Mollux's Egg Move group better and so I feel like it's better flavor. So many of Mollux's level-up and egg moves ended up being tutor moves a new egg move seems warranted. Mind Reader showcases a little bit of Mollux's Psychic themed powers (it has Calm Mind) as well as being useful for getting Inferno to hit :)

TM Moves:
TM04 Calm Mind
TM06 Toxic
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM22 SolarBeam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM35 Flamethrower
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM38 Fire Blast
TM42 Façade
TM43 Flame Charge
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat
TM61 Will-O-Wisp
TM64 Explosion
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM84 Poison Jab
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM100 Confide

Only additions here are the universal Confide and Sleep Talk, as well as Poison Jab to match the flavor of Poison Sting and cone snail biology.

Bind
Gastro Acid
Gunk Shot
Heal Bell
Heat Wave
Helping Hand
Shock Wave
Snore

Stealth Rock
Trick

Additions here are Bind (matches physical design), Shock Wave (weaker Electric Move), and Snore (Universal). Everything else is already a Level-Up or Egg Move.

Secret Power (ORAS TM94)

Nothing Notable.
Bind (Past Tutor)
Confide (TM)
Mind Reader (Egg)
Pin Missile (Level-Up)
Poison Jab (TM)
Poison Sting (Level-Up)
Shock Wave (Past Tutor)
Sleep Talk (TM)
Spotlight (Egg)
Snore (Past Tutor)
Venom Drench (Level-Up)
11 Moves Total

Last edited:
Alright, thank you to everyone that made a submission! Three of the movepools were tagged as final submissions, and they all seem to be in accordance with the guidelines set earlier in the thread, so they will all be on the slate. The poll will be up shortly.

edit: Added yours G-Luke

Last edited:

G-Luke

Oh no i forgotten to edit WIP to Final Sub! Ik it not usual protocol but sparktrain could you make an exception? Mine literally is done barring the Final Submission title.

snake_rattler's updated movepool has won the poll with over a 50% majority. Bind, Confide, Draining Kiss, Leech Life, Secret Power, Shock Wave, Sleep Talk, Snore, Spotlight, and Venom Drench will be added to Mollux's movepool. The full details of the updated movepool can be seen in snake's post.

Thank you to everyone that participated in this update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)