CAP Team Tournament 3: Tier Discussion

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
approved by HeaLnDeaL
What is this thread about?

In this thread feel free to discuss what tiers will be played regarding CAPTT before it begins and leading up to the auction.

What CAP formats should be used this year?
- Last year there were 6 playing slots for each team. 3 ORAS CAP, 1 BW CAP, 1 DOU CAP, and 1 Monotype CAP. With the introduction of SM CAP as the current main tier, and the creation of CAP LC, this dynamic will have to change.

What tiers do you think should be played? Drop your thoughts in this thread!

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
I would want SM / SM / XY / LC / BW / Doubles. It covers what we did last year and has LC replace Monotype since that is far more important. I get people want 3 SM spots so SM / SM / SM / XY / LC / BW or Doubles would work as well. I would personally prefer BW > Doubles in that situation but either works for me.

I think everyone wants SM / SM / XY / LC so the last two tiers is what we can to decide.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Yea, at least two SM slots would be optimal at least, and three may even be required for the possible demand. XY is the previous gen, so that should pretty much be a requirement for it. LC is our newest metagame, so we should really try and spread its popularity through CAPTT. It would make sense for it to be a slot. CAP Doubles I heard was extremely popular last time 'round so it be a major mistake to not include it. I'm not totally sure on BW though.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Obviously at least 2 SM slots are needed and we could even extend to three if we wanted to.
XY is also almost entirely mandatory because it is the most recent gen behind SM.

Others

Little Cup
Doubles
BW
DPP
Monotype
Sunkern Only

People will want to play Little Cup the most out of all the options I feel because it is new and such. BW / Monotype takes second. BW for the older CAP fans and Monotype because we get the monotype community involved into our CAPTT. Doubles would probably be next and then DPP since its just obscure and a hidden metagame.

Like GG said SM / SM / XY / LC is probably our guaranteed for now and then we would have to decide on what next. I know Monotype seems to be a worse choice compared to Doubles but I feel that Monotype's popularity if higher than doubles which is probably why I would consider adding it in before we would add Doubles.

Black and White is a toss up since the farther we move onto new generations, the lesser amount of old school players we have so if anything I'd / this with Doubles.

So my setup would be
SM / SM / XY / LC / Mono / (BW / Doubles)

Unfortunately DPP is dead unless someone wants to revive. Alternatively we could go with 7 slots this year but we might not have enough players to play those metagames.

What makes the most logical sense, is to do what we did last year, with the small tweak for little cup. That being: SM, SM, SM, ORAS, LC, insert OM here. Last year we had dropped the oldest main metagame, being DPP, and used the most recent two metagames, which at the time were of course ORAS and BW. With that logic, I don't really see how BW could stay in the format, if we dropped DPP and kept the recent too, we would drop BW and keep SM and ORAS. Just a personal thing here, I'd also prefer if we used an OM over BW, just to attract the people from that respective OM (doubles, monotype, ect.). I also see no reason not to include 3 SMs, its the main meta for cap atm, and is what most people who join the tournament will know how to play.

Even though I'm not actually going to play in the Team Tournament, a format of two SM, one LC, Doubles, and Monotype could work nicely, assuming each team has only five players. However, we have not made CAP 23 yet, and the higher mods will most likely only update the existing twenty-two CAPs once all of them finish, so we don't really get any new toys this tournament. That means Kitsunoh will suck.

I'll sign up as an artist for the third time, if that means anything right now.

SM/ORAS/LC are all pretty solid inclusions in my eyes. If there are 6 slots again, the only real question is two or three SM slots, which kinda depends on how solid we are with the remaining others metagames. I'll go ahead and comment on each one.

DPP CAP - This is probably one of the weakest options. It didn't really work out in the first iteration of CAPTT due to the severe lack of DPP players, leading to its exclusion in CAPTT 2. I think it should stay that way for CAPTT 3.

BW CAP - As time goes on, we will probably have to exclude this metagame eventually due to lack of players. However, I think we could still reasonably include it this year depending on the interest of the BW power players (jas, queen, rozes, giantwhirlpool off the top of my head). There's a handful of other people who understand the metagame well enough to build for it and hold their own in CAPTT. A big downside is that BW doesn't do much to attract new players to CAP as it strictly panders to older players.

CAP Doubles - I think we've had a lot of success by including this metagame in the past two iterations of CAPTT and I think we should include it again. We've attracted some good users to CAP who got their start by playing CAP Doubles in CAPTT. The main downside is that the Gen 7 CAP Doubles metagame is undeveloped, and I don't think it makes sense to include a past gen CAP Doubles.

CAP Monotype - I'd rather we avoid this metagame. If Gen 7 monotype is anything like Gen 6, there are inevitably going to be arguments about certain CAP mons being busted, as well as bo1 vs bo3 arguments due to the matchup-based nature of the tier. While I get that it's probably a fun metagame, the Gen 7 CAP Monotype metagame is completely undeveloped, there are lots of logistics involved, and I don't feel like it's worth including over something more established.

At this point in time, I'm in favor of maximizing SM slots. It's our primary metagame, and encouraging its growth and development is a huge plus. Assuming a 6-slot setup, here's what my setup would look like at the moment: SM / SM / SM / ORAS / LC / Dubs. Not quite sure about the last slot yet.

Whilst I've always been a fan of DPP, we're in Gen VII now. DPP can only last so long. I can respect that it was CAP's O.G. tier but we don't have the surviving manpower to have that understanding of someone who has been through the tier. For that reason, if you ask me, I'd say DPP is a no-go

CAP LC is almost a given. It's a fun metagame from where I see it and its gained incredible popularity and is rather balanced if we ignore Cawdet.

BW CAP is probably going to suffer the same fate as DPP, but for now, there are still some "O.G." players so BW can suffice (hopefully)

CAP Doubles is fun and brings in a whole new side to CAP, whilst most of the big CAPers are also prominent in LC, we really don't have much in terms of doubles players, so just popularity-wise, Doubs will be a good thing to stay

I'm not too sure about Mono. Whilst Spark makes some good points above, I'm hesitant to write it off as it is quite a fun metagame which has had some great battles and has had some great battles. Policy and managing wise I can understand dropping it but I think it'd be a bit unfair to drop them on those terms alone

ORAS and SM are obvious

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Two sun and moon slots, an ORAS slot and a LC slot are given to me. That leaves two slots.

Doubles - CaP Doubles may be undeveloped, but this type of tournament is exactly what it needs to develop. It was more than popular enough to warrant bringing it back now. I think forgoing it would be a grave mistake.

BW - I wasn't around when this was a main tier, but from what I have gathered it was a great meta. But its main problem is a lack of players. This to me is a real damper, as if this wasn't the case, I'd support it

Monotype - Everyone knows I am an OM supporter and a mod of a couple of its subforums, so its safe to say I am a bit biased. But MonoCaP is a fun metagame and wouldn't have a shortage of players (Monotype's players would flock in). But its extremely underdeveloped, which isn't good in an extremely matchup based tier. But if it comes to a vote, I'd say mono.

SM/SM/LC/DOU/ORAS/Mono to me is reasonable.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
My personal opinion is that SuMo is clearly the most active tier and represents our user base the most and I can't really understand having less than 3 SuMo slots.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think the SM / SM / SM / ORAS / LC / Dubs format sparktrain suggested would be the best way to go about this. I'll also echo HeaL's sentiments that SM is our most active and relevant tier at the moment and that it should be the primary focus for CAPTT. I could see BW replacing Dubs because it is a more proven format, but I think it'll be a lot easier for us to draft doubles player than it will be to draft BW players. I'd also like to argue against the inclusion of monotype this year, mainly because I don't believe the high matchup nature of the format is healthy in a format where each win is valued so highly.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
I have to agree with Sparktrain and Cbrevan. SM / SM / SM / ORAS / LC / Dubs is the best option for CAPTT 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)