CaP Prevos - Privatyke - Part 4 - Stats Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Heya everyone!

Its that time again and probably the most exciting step of the Prevo process! STATS! As usual, any reasoning is sound! Arghonaut is a bulky attacker that can wall setup sweepers or use its good Attack stat and weaker attacks boosted by Technician.

Arghonaut - HP 105 / Atk 110 / Def 95 / SpA 70 / SpD 100 / Spe 75 / BST 555

Please look up Pokemon you think are similar (either through typing, abilities or design) and try and make some good reasoning for why you are picking those stats! As I have said many times, prevos are a primarily flavour concern, but I will not "down play" competitive spreads (as long as there is no min/maxing etc). As long as your reasoning is solid (and your BST not too bloated), I will likely slate your spread! At that point it is in the lap of the community!

As with previous stats subs, I am allowing you to Final Submit from the beginning of the thread, but I will post a 24 hour warning in about 48 hours so people have time to discuss/work on their spreads. Please make sure your stats are clear and easily readable. Makes my life a bit easier when it comes to looking over the numbers and reasoning!

Our Prevo So far:
Name: Privatyke
Typing: Water/Fighting
Abilities: Unaware/Technician

Final Submission

Privatyke - HP 65 / Atk 75 / Def 65 / SpA 40 / SpD 60 / Spe 45 / BST 350
(-40 HP) (-35 Atk) (-30 Def) (-30 SpA) (-40 SpD) (-30 Spe) (-205 BST)

Instead of doing drastic changes like I did with Voodoll (Making it really slow), I made Privatyke a downgrade to Arghonaut without drastically changing the stats.
  • Arghonaut has a base HP of 105, so I took the average of the pre-evolutions of four basic stage Pokemon whose evolutions have a base HP of 103-105, those being Darumaka, Scratchet, Grimer, and Stunky- which was 67, and rounded it down to 65 to keep the theme of having numbers divisible by 5
  • Most of the Pokemon that have only one evolution with a base Attack of 110 have a base Attack of around 70-80. I took the middle number because I did not want to make it have an attack stat similar to Honedge
  • Dropped defense based on the drops that I gave to it's other stats, and dropped it to make it not be as defensively busted as Vullaby
  • Just took the Special Attack of Anorith, because Armaldo has similar stats to Arghonaut
  • Dropped Special Defense based on the drops that I gave to it's other stats, and dropped it to make it not be as defensively busted as Vullaby
  • Took the speed of Krabby and subtracted 5, because Kingler is a Water type with similar stats to Arghonaut (Also to make its speed similar to Pipulp, because it is totally, undeniably, 100% a Penguin)
Kinda boring, but whatever.

Edit: Bumping up defenses a tiny amount based on snake's suggestion, but i don't know if it is too similar to his.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Privatyke- HP 85 / Atk 80 / Def 65 / SpA 60 / SpD 60 / Spe 45 / BST 395
(-20 HP) (-30 Atk) (-30 Def) (-10 SpA) (-40 SpD) (-30 Spe) (-160 BST)

So when making these stats, I looked for similar base stat totals. I found a Pokémon that had not been used as a basis for stats yet (looks at Arcanine and Growlithe) and had 555 BST- Banette!... until I realized its Mega had 555, not the normal Pokémon. However, seeing as how it just had 455 instead, I rolled with it. I applied the difference between it and Shuppet to the stats with only an extra minor nerf to Speed. Attack lost a lot, as while it is a Fighting type, it doesn't look that well-equipped to fight properly with that hook. The other main change I made now is the speed has been lowered to 45 to give a better reason to run technician, as it before shared a speed tier with Dwebble.

EDIT: I lowered the defenses of Privatyke, as to make it balanced, as I agree with Snake that it was too much before.

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Final Submission

Privatyke - HP 75 / Atk 75 / Def 60 / SpA 45 / SpD 65 / Spe 50 / BST 370

(-30 HP / -35 Atk / -35 Def / -25 SpA / -35 SpD / -25 Spe / -185 BST)

I started working on this this morning but looks like I've been sniped :(

Anyways, basically this is bit of a compromise between the two submitted sets before me. While this is mostly a flavorful project, I'd like to see Privatyke excel in the CAP LC Metagame, which is already swarming with Fighting-types. However, while I am content with how the others look flavorfully, competitively the first one looks like it will struggle a little bit, and the second looks like it will be too bulky for the good of the metagame, considering the existence of Eviolite.

I didn't compare Privatyke with any Pokemon in particular, but this stat spread looks realistic. 75 / 60 / 65 bulk preserves the stat bias on Arghonaut (slightly higher Special bulk than Physical). 75 Atk gives Privatyke some oomph behind its hits, and 45 Special Attack makes it not completely useless. The Speed is 50 to guarantee that you can hit 15 Speed without overwhelming investment, the ideal speed tier for such a versatile attacker. Technician Bulldoze and Rock Tomb, assuming the make its movepool given Privatyke's Fighting-type, will be a powerful asset to have, so this speed tier is ideal.

Basically, yes I put some competitive thought behind my submission, and hopefully I've made a spread that will allow Privatyke to hold its own in the CAP LC Metagame, while also looking realistic.

Last edited:
Final Submission

HP 70 / Atk 70 / Def 60 / SpA 45 / SpD 65 / Spe 50
(-35/-40/-35/-25/-35/-25) [BST: 360]

Pokémon tend to have stat distributions with the same positives and negatives as their evolutions. I went with roughly equal stat drops around the board, though not too equal. Having noticed the coincidence in how Yungoos and Aron would have the same Attack as Privatyke and how Aggron, Gumshoos, and Arghonaut all have the same Attack stat, I decided to use the Darumaka line as a reference for HP and the Krabby line as a reference for Speed. Everything else uses the differences among Arghonaut's stats as references.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Privatyke - HP 75 / Atk 75 / Def 55 / SpA 45 / SpD 70 / Spe 55 / BST 375

(HP -30 / Atk -35 / Def -40 / SpA -25 / SpD -30 / Spe -20)

So based on Arghonaut's stat bias, I cut its HP and Atk to 75. 75/55/70 bulk sounds solid - nice special tank that can survive a physical hit. 75 Attack sounds solid for Privatyke, as it makes offensive sets threatening and defensive ones not a pushover. Special Attack was dropped to 45 as Scald should still be viable it was never an asbysmal stat on Arghonaut. I dropped its speed to 55 - I doubted that Argh gained a ton of speed upon evolution.

Last edited:

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

70 HP / 60 Atk / 60 Def / 50 SpA / 65 SpD / 55 Spe [BST: 360]

Changes of:
-35 HP / -50 Atk / -35 Def / -20 SpA / -35 SpD / -20 Spe

To start, I took a look at other Pokemon who have a BST close to Arghonaut's. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of Pokemon there that are two stagers, those that are include Gyarados and Milotic, who's prevos are... special cases, to say the least. However, the others in that range included Arcanine, Snorlax and Volcarona. While none of them were perfect comparisons in my opinion, they at least gave me a BST range to look at for Privatyke: the upper half of the 300s.

So, going from there, my first thought was that without the hook or fists that Arghonaut posses, and a much less threatening looking blade, Privatyke's biggest difference should be in Attack. Now, that is not to say that it should be weak, but simply that when it evolves, this should certainly be the biggest jump. And with Attack being Argho's highest stat, it would be easy to still give Privatyke a respectable stat while still having a large increase on evo. As such, I eventually settled on a drop of 50 points, making the difference quite significant, but still leaving Privatyke with 60, which is not bad.

Beyond attack, my other thoughts were that Privatyke doesn't really look like it is all that amazing at any one thing. To me Privatyke looks like it should be a well rounded mon, and so I decided that while everything should drop, and it certainly should not try and flip Arghonaut's stat bias on its head, I should make the drops to its higher stats bigger than those for its lower stats. As Arghonauts defenses are all very respectable, and fairly close to each other, I decided that it would be best to drop HP, Def and SpD all by the exact same amount. I had similar thoughts about SpA and Spe, as they too are very close to each other.

Finally, I settled on the specific drops of -35 to the defensive stats and -20 to SpA and Spe, as that would allow the defensive stats to have a significantly greater increase than its low stats on level up, while still remaining higher prior to level up. Furthermore, this puts Privityke at a BST of 360, which is solidly in the range I was looking at, and in fact is exactly the same as Larvesta, who was the middle of the three mons I was looking at.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Final Submission

Privatyke - HP 70 / Atk 70 / Def 65 / SpA 40 / SpD 75 / Spe 30 BST: 350

For Reference:

I had gone down as low as 330... But I looked over some other Pokemon and I increased it again. The problem with Privatyke is there are very few water types which are two stage and have similar BST. Wailord is one of the only exceptions, but that's due to its wonky af stats and its just not very good. The Gen 1 Fossils are around 500BST and their prevo's are 350 BST. So that's sort of the area I went with. Scraggy is also in this area as a bulky fighting type.

Pretty balanced across the board, but I made it very slow as I do not believe Privatyke could run anywhere particularly quickly (as well as it being Unaware of whats going on), however it can handle itself very well in combat, with exemplary defence naturally imbued due to its sword tentacle and bouncy round body.

This spread makes it a basically smaller version of Arg itself. It maintains the specially defensive bias and physical offence, while the low speed makes it always need to take a hit.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

60 HP / 75 Atk / 55 Def / 50 SpA / 60 SpD / 50 Spe (350 BST)

The highest BST of ANY Fighting Type LC mon is 350, held by Mienfoo. The only water type first stage mons to have 350 of more BST are Kabuto, Omanyte, and Wailmer... Of course, Arghonaut has higher BST than most evolved water or fighting mons, so it's not terribly out of the realm for its prevo to still have highish BST in LC. I picked Growlithe as an appropriate mon to base BST around since it is one of the only 2 stage lines with its evo having similar bst to Arghonaut, so 350 BST seems reasonable to me. In fact, Arcanine and Argho both have the exact same BST so I think it's fine for Growly and Privatyke to have the same BST.

More than anything else, I'm concerned with keeping Privatyke's bulk as a reasonable level. Compared to Arghonaut, Privatyke to me looks like it really doesn't have that much bulk and the original sprite has him deftly standing on his toes. Maybe the pose itself just isn't very defensive, but I think the design doesn't leave much room for defenses either and the only form of protective "armor" that Privatyke has is its bandana. As such, I wanted my defenses to be lower than something like Squirtle's where a defensive shell was present. Of course, Pokemon flavor associated HP with pudginess and since Privatyke is pudgier than Squirtle I still wanted it to have more HP than Squirtle.

I don't want to go too "competive" with my reasoning, but most of the spreads submitted here have absolutely insane bulk by LC standards and run the risk of creating a broken mon.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Sorry I took so long with this, but I am here now so let's get to this. Everyone's spreads, while similar, are unique enough imo for all of them to make the cut and for that reason, we are heading straight to a poll, which will be up shortly.
Tagging good ole DHR-107 for the lock :)

EDIT: Upon some digging, I decided to ax KirbyRider1337's slate since it is very similar to snake's and I personally feel snake better explained his reasoning than Kirby did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)