CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 8 (Art Poll 3)

Who's art should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
2. It should look like a pure Rock type.

yDG's you can see the Rock element straight away in the floating stones that make up all of its body, many argue that it also looks part steel. I can see what they mean but you do get gray rock as well as brown. The body parts are just made of polished gray stone.

Cala.. Really other than the floating rocks and brown colour I do not see much Rock about it. It looks like a Psychic/something... In the vertion with cracks I could see the rock typing, but the one that is in the poll... not so much.
As it is it could be part Rock but Psychic looks more evident, largely due to the glowing green lines all over its body....
I'm going to take issue with this. Both pokemon look very much like a rock type. I think you are being a bit too myopic when you look at the word rock type. That does not necessarily have to be a direct relation to rock. The Rock type pokemon are basically a conglomerate of geological features. There is plenty of precedent for rock types that are not made of rocks. (Rhydon, Aerodactyl, Sudowoodo, Corsola, Tyranitar, Cradily, etc.) However, all rock pokemon have a geological essence about them, and you can see them relating to rocks in a way. Art is a very subjective process. It isn't going to be extremely straightforward.

So instead, I'm arguing why they aren't rock type, I'm going to argue why they are:

yourDeadGrandad's is highly related to rocks, gems, minerals, and bone, all of which give it a rock type feel. The angular pieces of its body also tie in geometry. Shapes (thus geometry) are seen in all rocks, and we often tie shapes to rocks psychologically, when we try to decide what a rock looks like. Also, the jagged feel is very natural to the crags, mountains, and broken rocks we are used to seeing.

Caladbolg's pokemon makes the realtionship to gems very apparent. Also, there are several rocks structures on its body. The jagged beak and 'armor' both relate to angular geometry again (as well as the eye, which is extremely geometrical in nature). This artwork reminds me of a couple of other rock types (Tyranitar, Rhydon, and Aggron) who are mainly composed of a seemingly organic substance, but have several rock style structures on their bodies. The glowing adds that special feel to the pokemon, as well as being a reference to molten materials. Although lava is considered part of fire's domain, we must recognize that lava is molten rock. The coloring (my part) actually has some reasoning behind it as well. The drab brown is a color the mind associates with rocks, the dirt, and the ground. The variance of multiple browns not only keeps the eye interested, but it delves into the uniqueness that things in nature display. There are rarely (if ever) exact replicas of things found in nature. The green in the gems and glowing parts continue the natural theme, while adding pop and contrast to the image. The slight alteration and the glow on the lines make it feel like more of a special type. Finally, the orange indicates a deep nature in the ground, where the heat is drastically higher near the core.

Sorry I could not explain yourDeadGrandad's as well, but I have no idea as to what thinking went on behind the image.

yourDeadGandad from start to finish!
i second this

There is plenty of precedent for rock types that are not made of rocks. (Rhydon, Aerodactyl, Sudowoodo, Corsola, Tyranitar, Cradily, etc.) However, all rock pokemon have a geological essence about them, and you can see them relating to rocks in a way.
all the rock types you just mentioned also have a second type though, except sudowoodo

i second this

all the rock types you just mentioned also have a second type though...
Sudowoodo
Not really.
Then again, Sudowoodo does not look like a Rock-type at all.
...wow, I just noticed the only pure Rock types that look like rocks are Nosepass and Regirock. Sudowoodo is a tree and Rampardos is a revived fossil.

Not really.
Then again, Sudowoodo does not look like a Rock-type at all.
...wow, I just noticed the only pure Rock types that look like rocks are Nosepass and Regirock. Sudowoodo is a tree and Rampardos is a revived fossil.
That's because the whole point of Sudowoodo is to look like wood...

Whoever wins this should walk away with the whole shebang. Forcing another poll is just going to draw this out longer than it should.

We should be moving onto the movepool soon, not lingering in art polls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)