CAP 3D Modeling Project

Ahh thanks for the input, yeah fair enough. I guess I'll sacrifice some consistency for the side view then, cause it just looks terrible in every other angle! >_> It doesn't help that I did a god awful job at the rigging as well, there's more poses I wanted to do but that's like the only decent looking one...

As for Tomohawk, I did another grounded just to balance out all the flying ones I did:

And thanks for all your feedback on the animations! There's been a few pointers to merge #3 and 4 together (or adding more flap to 4 / making it hunch less) following the advice of Birkal, Arcade and DJTHED

These can be better or totally worse than the originals idk so I kept the originals and they'll have their own renders in the final product too :P

Other fixes...
  • Felis Licht I see it wow his tail is a vibrator. Fixed!
  • Reviloja753 well spotted ouch! Seems like I twisted his jaw.
  • Quanyails suggested the feathers can be flatter so that's fixed as well.

About your Necturine model sheet, Reviloja753
  • Your edges are very wobbly and jelly like so I'd tidy that up. If you look at the official art notice there's a lot of pointy bits as well, like the legs and the teeth.
  • The mask thing on the top is like a ribbon right now, it should have more form.
  • The top of the head should be round and less bumpy.
  • I think the eyes can be a bit smaller as well.
  • It'll be nice to combine the teeth you drew on the right into the front view picture.
Hope this helps :)
The thing on the right is supposed to be the actual model. The image on the left is a sort of Rough sketch I made.

Anyways, out of the three animations in this post, I like #2 the best. It takes the dynamic look of the old #4 and the full thing of fluff (?) and full wingspan of the old #3.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

This one is so great. He looks like a cool dude who dun care wut you think, he's just trying to be cool in his own way. Just the right amount of attitude.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
one thing thats bugging me is that the purple splashes on tomohawk's wings are covered by his shoulder/chest tufts, but on the model they never are at any point during the animation? Something that should be fixed imo

Last edited by a moderator:

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
ZardX a good rule of thumb is to pay attention to the side view just as much as the front (a model sheet would really help with that!) Using a more symmetrical pose helps as well cause it makes the rigging a lot easier. Good first attempt though and I hope you keep practicing! Let us know if you have more questions :)

brightobject ooh yeah good point! Made the fluffy parts bigger now, hope that fixes it. :P

Comparisons

delayed due to NUDITY PROBLEMS :I

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Personally I think 4 is super dope, thanks for all ur hard work QxC, can't wait to see how this goes :D

these all look stellar. like. damn.

I'd go the fifth model personally. it kind of fits in with the bird theme and doesn't feel like it's defying gravity as much as #3, although #4 looks really good too.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Pretty much any of those animations can work. Except for #3, really, since to me it's just a downgrade of #4. But I can see the rest of those working.

Ignus

Copying deli meat to hard drive
My vote's for four just because I believe it's truer to what I'd consider a 'fighting stance' when compared to some of the other poses. Really great work as always QxC :)

Is it possible for the spine to look less crushed? I realize that part of the reason the model looks a bit huddled is because of the natural shape of Tomo's body, but it looks like the knees are a bit pressed to it's chest. The feeling I'm getting could partially be because the head is a bit far forward. I haven't spent too much time looking at the model itself so I can't really give super constructive feedback, but I can attempt a closer look if you want me to make an attempt at a better explanation.

#4 for me. has the predatory look of a hawk just before a dive, which reinforces its speed with Prankster and its Fighting ability. The glide doesn't really seem fitting on #6 - not only are both similar options Dragons, with their undersized wings needing some magic(tm) to fly, but #5's bird hover doesn't really work because it's not a bird. #4 seems to mirror the image of a griffon/lion flying thing, similar to this sort of stance.

Actually I just remembered this, but Pokemon outlines simply don't appear behind semi-transparent materials of any kind. I learned about this when I was working on Pikachu-Belle and looking at her dress.

Do you possibly have the Rockstar or Popstar versions of Cosplay Pikachu as one of these sprite gifs?

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

[CREDITS]
QxC4eva - model sheet, wireframe, textures, animation, rendering
Quanyails - model sheet, quality control
paintseagull - quality control
Yveltal - quality control

...and thanks to everyone else who pointed out stuff to fix!
Arcade and Ignus for pointing out the hover animation was too hunched. Birkal and DJTHED for noticing the wings didn't fully flap. Cretacerus for suggesting a speed up for the gliding animation (and disapproving my "Tomo Missile" idea :P)... jacksoras who suggested to make the mohawk bigger. brightobject for noticing the neck fluffs weren't covering the wing patches. Reviloja753 who pointed out the twisted jaw in the flying animation. And Felis Licht for spotting the weird vibration on his tail~

Minor changes may be minor but they do add up! Check out the difference.

(older render @ http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-3d-modeling-project.3536091/page-8#post-6354981)

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
In place of another mod following this, I suggest that the active modelers decide between themselves which Mollux render to use since they are all incredibly alike and I can't see a reason for a poll (I suggested this a few weeks back actually).

The Tomohawk models have enough variety to actually have a poll, but 3 and 4 are very similar and the modelers could choose one of them to go to the poll (though it seems the concensus in the thread itself is 4 over 3?)

Having too similar of models makes it too hard for the average voter to spot the differences or to know which one is technically superior or which one matches GameFreak's standards more or whatnot.

I'm personally torn between #3 and #4. #3 as a more "ready-to-attack" stance, but #4 has a more natural and complete flapping movement. For now, I'm inclined more toward #4, which is a nice hybrid between #3 and #5.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
I know QxC4eva hates doing this because this will tend to hide details of the model and texture work, but I think the renders need to be shrunken down a bit. Especially after seeing it side-by-side with Charizard X, Pidgeot, Salamence, etc. The proportions look off and inconsistent to me because the render is too zoomed in.

I'd again be fine with just about anything here. Personal favorite is still #4, but pretty much any of them can work. I definitely would like to see a poll for these animations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)