CAP 23 CAP 23 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

i also wanna decide which version of turtle to use
One above or this one https://media.discordapp.net/attach...07904/CAP23_COMATOSE.jpg?width=300&height=300

update on comatose turtle, somethings still of about this but idk. Also removed cone horn and replaced them with um, turtle flaps.

dis good ol SUPPPORT ART
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/333822914040168458/357793306488602641/ooof-ow.gif
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...31895301488640/image.png?width=300&height=300
https://i.imgur.com/bHXYBvw.jpg

also

YourFavDalmatian I like your design rn, its really cool but it doesn't seem to fit pokemon. Ofc pokemon has some spoop and nightmare fuel but yours slightly pushes the limits on seeing the skin visibly peel off. But really good luck on it.

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
update on comatose turtle, somethings still of about this but idk. Also removed cone horn and replaced them with um, turtle flaps.

also

YourFavDalmatian I like your design rn, its really cool but it doesn't seem to fit pokemon. Ofc pokemon has some spoop and nightmare fuel but yours slightly pushes the limits on seeing the skin visibly peel off. But really good luck on it.
This really seems like a design that needs to be animated with a nice pendulum swing

Last edited by a moderator:

also

I was worried it might be too graphic myself. Do you think removing the falling skin would put it back on the Pokémon-esque side?

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist

Nightmare Dragon!

Since Comatose won, this will be my design, and while there's some small changes, he mostly hasn't changed that much. The little guy down there is still dreaming up the dragon that fights, but now its more along the lines of the dream dragon being the actual dragon dreaming itself into a fighting ready body. I might test some small changes, such as some wispier details on the dream similar to something like Darkrai or some different hand shapes, but in general not a lot is in the way until I go final submission!
I also went ahead and tested out the rendering I plan on doing for the dream dragon later on, lots of dreamy cloudy stuff!

Oh, and also here's how Bearded Vulture is looking https://i.imgur.com/gYIwjgu.png

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Vastly prefer the top one Yilx, and not so much of a fan of the bottom one. I like the magnificent hat on the top one especially.

Last edited:
YourFavDalmatian Theres something I don't like about your design, and it took me a while to find the problem: No Ghost type pokemon (bar Alolan Marowak, which originally wasn't a Ghost Type) has Bones in it's design. The fact that you have some somehow makes it look less pokemon-ish imo.

Garbagery I prefer the one in this thread, it's look way more natural than the one in the link.

Reigaheres One of the simplest, yet best ideas for a Design. The color choice is also great. At this point I'd love to see more details, especially for the Dream/Ghost dragon.

Yilx I still love your Reaper design and the colors look awesome!

epicparker

Banned deucer.
Reigaheres, I frickin love yours it's wonderful. Just gotta say that.

Yilx, I actually prefer the bottom-right mon you made, but I think the reason most people don't is because it's face (and most of it) is in shadow and so it doesn't stand out as much compared to the other one. Give us a more active pose and a little light on its face and I think it'll shine.

As for me, Comatose doesn't really work with the Chinese clowndragon so I think I'm gonna sit this one out unless I manage to come up with an concept I like (that's different enough from everyone else's lol)

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Made a few color palettes that I liked. Would love choices!
1. Uses colors from the Blue Glaucus, which is what this was based on
2. Dark colors. Might look too Dark type but I liked the colors
3. Favorite palette. Purples and blacks are what most ghost types seem to utilize in their design
4. A different take to the goth slug. Rather than implying that ghosts are supposed to be evil/dark, I went with more of an angelic approach with colors

Here's a better resolution render, since the one up there might be too small
https://puu.sh/xxwak/5a75de5291.png

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
I'm liking 2 and 3. Not sure which I like more but I think I'm edging more towards 2. I don't feel like its very Dark-type, especially since most Dark types are not only dark, but dark + a strong color like red, as is the case with Weavile, Zoroark, Bisharp and such. Either way, I'd love it as one of those two!

Last edited:
My personal favorite is 3. The purple and black go EXTREMELY well together and make it an elegant yet sinister Pokémon. If that pallet got slated, I would vote for it in a heartbeat.

WIP

Decided to change the eyes to closed lids instead of wingding X-es, so as to portray the Comatose ability more clearly. The pose is supposed to be reminiscent of sleepwalkers (sleep-fliers?) as well as ribbons fluttering in the wind. I tried to go with Granny Pie's color scheme suggestion of purple, green, orange, and black, but out of personal preference I changed the latter two to red and blue, respectively, to give it a more whimsical feel like a possessed children's toy. I also smoothed up the lineart with Illustrator and made some general fixes to detail line weights so the overall design looks clearer.

Alternate color scheme based on Granny's original suggestion: https://i.imgur.com/Kc2LDwy.png

Yilx I like the reaper dragon better, though it could stand to portray the Comatose ability a bit better. Perhaps give it a sleepwalker-style pose with zombie arms and a drooping head? Sleepfloater? :P
Sunfished #3 is my favorite palette, too, so maybe you could go with that. Though I also like #4 for its look being reminiscent of sea angels, which are just as eerie as dragon slugs... Perhaps a composite of both with the pale white of the main body and the dark purple details?
Reigaheres Adorabuu~ Though perhaps the nightmare spirit could have an ominous glow lighting up the body from the inside to make it more etheral. The mouth and eyes already give me that impression.
Garbagery You know what your lovely Sleepy Turtle Boi reminds me of? A wrecking ball, TBH - but also a Konaki-jiji. This is a yokai that tricks people into picking it up and then becomes so heavy that it crushes them under it. Perhaps instead of - or maybe along with - using his chain to trap stuff, maybe he could simply drop straight down on an opponent's head from above like those many-ton weights you see in old-timey cartoons and piledrive them to the ground with his face? XD

Falchion I like the edits. While the orange and black look really Halloween-y, this color scheme is a strong representation of every kid's least expected, but worst nightmare: Their toys coming to haunt them. Which makes sense, doesn't it? A child puts a piece of their soul into every toy they love, and trust it like few others, even if it is inanimate. It's not inconceivable that such a toy could act as a Horcrux for a wrongly-killed child, or just awaken on its own, jealous and wanting the entirety of the poor child's soul.
The more I think about it, the more I like this recolor. It just says so much more.

Magistrum - I think the purple looks better. I'm probably not the first person to say so, but I wanted to put in my two cents. I actually like it better without the tail-claw. I was trying to visualize it punching/clawing things with it's tail, and it wasn't working lol. Clawed hooves still leave it open to Stomp and other general quadruped moves, but makes Dragon Claw and the like a bit more believable.

Yilx - I like the second one, the little dude in the dragon costume, better. I feel like he just got woken up and is ready to start knocking heads. Not sure if that was your intent, but that's what I get from it. That being said, I wonder if it could portray Comatose better? Maybe it's sleeping, or nodding off? That'd be kinda cute, if it was trying so hard to stay awake, but it just couldn't quite manage it.

WIP

*quoted pic removed*

Decided to change the eyes to closed lids instead of wingding X-es, so as to portray the Comatose ability more clearly. The pose is supposed to be reminiscent of sleepwalkers (sleep-fliers?) as well as ribbons fluttering in the wind. I tried to go with Granny Pie's color scheme suggestion of purple, green, orange, and black, but out of personal preference I changed the latter two to red and blue, respectively, to give it a more whimsical feel like a possessed children's toy. I also smoothed up the lineart with Illustrator and made some general fixes to detail line weights so the overall design looks clearer.

Alternate color scheme based on Granny's original suggestion: https://i.imgur.com/Kc2LDwy.png

Yilx I like the reaper dragon better, though it could stand to portray the Comatose ability a bit better. Perhaps give it a sleepwalker-style pose with zombie arms and a drooping head? Sleepfloater? :P
Sunfished #3 is my favorite palette, too, so maybe you could go with that. Though I also like #4 for its look being reminiscent of sea angels, which are just as eerie as dragon slugs... Perhaps a composite of both with the pale white of the main body and the dark purple details?
Reigaheres Adorabuu~ Though perhaps the nightmare spirit could have an ominous glow lighting up the body from the inside to make it more etheral. The mouth and eyes already give me that impression.
Garbagery You know what your lovely Sleepy Turtle Boi reminds me of? A wrecking ball, TBH - but also a Konaki-jiji. This is a yokai that tricks people into picking it up and then becomes so heavy that it crushes them under it. Perhaps instead of - or maybe along with - using his chain to trap stuff, maybe he could simply drop straight down on an opponent's head from above like those many-ton weights you see in old-timey cartoons and piledrive them to the ground with his face? XD
It looks cool but doesnt feel ghostly enough. Maybe slightly more muted?

Final Submission
Palette swap to a more fitting scheme. Maybe my original description was too much... this design is pretty simple actually. It's a ninja with supernatural powers, borrowing some features from oni and the three-legged crow of Japanese legend. It's supposed to be able to meld into shadows and trap its opponents with Spirit Shackle by shooting scales like kunai. This Pokemon can also create a ghostly chain-sickle (kusarigama) as a make shift anchor. It remains active while half of its mind is in rest like some birds. (not crows though, which is a minus for this design I guess)

Last edited:
WIP

Next draft. Comatose completely messed me up, just like it did to so many other users. In turn I had the idea of a Nightmare/Dream dragon. There were already two users who used the idea of having it come up from a sleeping pokemon, so I did this instead. This made it into a shadow dragon type thing that is never technically awake therefore not being affected by status conditions but it is never resting. In addition I figured it would make sense for nightmares to fight other nightmares so that could also work. I know it is a bit abstract so I would like feedback about it.(other that the obvious unevenness of the aura, misshapen right eye, and noticeable brush marks that are common in preliminary sketches)

Now comments for a few people

chukeroo777: I like the idea ,but It does not work with comatose I am afraid. I could see minor ways of changing that by maybe changing the color scheme or something about the eyes to make it look more fit for comatose. If you do that it will be even more amazing.

Golurkyourself: The color scheme is definitely fitting, you can go ahead and submit it I think.

Falchion: I love the base design, however I might make the colors be a bit less bright. This would not distract from the body but still have that color you wanted. The idea of making a ghostly dragon so colorful Is a great idea though.

Sunfished: I like 2 the most but 3 is a close second, so by popular opinion you should do 3. It will be pretty much done I think when you choose the color, and definitely a top contender.

WIP

So I've taken all your feedback and consolidated it into a more kid-friendly, Pokemon-like design.

Brontocorpsus no longer has exposed bones and rotting flesh. The bones are now just a pattern on its skin and acts like a camouflage when playing dead. Once predators and scavengers are lured close enough at the thought of a free meal, Brontocorpsus lashes out and strangles its opponent using its long tail and neck.

I am working on a playing-dead pose which may or may not end up being my final design (depending on the overall reactions from all of you). While Comatose works well with the flavor of my design, I would like to design a different pose in an attempt to more heavily emphasize its Primary Ability.

Please let me know what you all think! Any and all feedback is appreciated!

WIP

So close to the final submission - now all I need is the supporting artwork, which I should hopefully be able to finish over the weekend!

Decided to go with Garbagery and darmico's suggestions and made the colors more muted, though I still worry that the color scheme might still be too bright for a Ghost-type. There's always the option of fiddling around with the saturation on Photoshop if the colors need to be changed, but as it stands I think I like this design enough to consider it pretty much complete! :D

Flat colors here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)