SM OU Build the Wall: Stakataka balance (2017 elo)

Recently I did something I didn't think was possible for me that being reaching top 10 on the ladder, So I decided I would share the team that got me where I am.

Building Process:

When this Mon was released I didn't expect much from it but after losing to it in a ladder game I knew i had to build around it especially the trick room set. Now I wanted to take a different approach to building than going full trick room which is why I added

The reason I added this was for being able to heal up stakataka when needed and it's also my dedicated knock off user now seeing as I didn't have a ground immunity so the next Mon I added was

This gave me a ground immunity which helps with keeping stakataka healthy but also provided a bulky wincon thanks to calm mind + stored power, now seeing that dark types are a problem for this I added

Clefable provides a way to hit dark types super effectively which helps lati do it's job easier it also provides stealth rocks which I feel is necessary on every team now looking at the team and how threatening np naganadel is I added

This is my dedicated naganadel check thanks to heavy sp def investment and AV it can easily tank +2 Devastating Drake plus Draco after and 2hko with earthquake. Now for the last Mon I wanted a form of speed and hazard control which is why I added scarf defog

This gave me a way to revenge kill mons such as mega diancie, stakataka outside of trick room among other things it also provides hazard control which I wanted.

Now that's done I'll go into the setset
Stakataka @ Rockium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 14 Def / 0 Spe
- Stone Edge
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Trick Room
Pretty standard set Max hp to increase overall bulk and max atk to hit as hard as possible. The nature and ivs are to ensure that I get an atk boost after every kill so that it can snowball inside trick room for the moves trick room is for obvious purposes and for the attacks I'm running dual stab with earthquake for coverage against steels like heatran and magnezone.

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
Max hp for overall bulk with 216 speed + timid nature to out speed mega pinsir with the rest put into defence to take certain physical hits better. Calm mind to make this mon nearly unbreakable on the special side and to sweep once it's checks are removed/heavily weakened stored power because of it's insane base power after a few boosts with tbolt chosen as coverage to not get walled by dark types and recover is to stay healthy.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Def / 220 SpD
Bold Nature
- Knock Off
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
36 hp to hit a leftovers number with max defence to make taking hits from physical attackers easier and the rest put into sp def. For the moves knock off for the utility in removing items especially thick club from alolan marowak on trick room teams, wish to heal up itself and teammates when needed with protect for scouting purposes and to reliably get wish recovery. Scald was chosen as the last move to hit landos and potentially burn bulus that want to switch in.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Atk / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
Near max hp and sp def allows this to be a solid check to naganadel thanks to getting a sp def boost in sand with the rest in atk to hit slightly harder.
Stone edge was chosen as the stab move because I prefer the power compared to rock slide, pursuit to trap blacephelon and latis etc, earthquake completes the edgequake coverage and ice beam was chosen to snipe landos that switch in.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Defog
Max atk and speed to hit as hard and fast as possible leaf blade and smart strike are for stab with sacred sword for coverage against steel types, and defog for emergency hazard control in case hazards become too much of a problem.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
Max hp and defence to check physical attackers such as medicham and zygarde. As for the moveset, rocks should be obvious since they're needed on every team imo moonblast for stab and to force out mega sableye with flamethrower added because I wanted a way to hit ferrothorn to make latis job easier and soft boiled is to stay healthy.

Stakataka @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 14 Def / 0 Spe
- Stone Edge
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Trick Room

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Def / 220 SpD
Bold Nature
- Knock Off
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Atk / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

A few replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-661981761
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-662191625
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-661913646
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-661898459

Last edited:
OMG this team is so good. Lati can wreak havoc so easily.

I feel like this team is fairly weak to fighting types in general, specially Lopunny-M, Medicham-M and Hawlucha (Conk is threatning, though slow and beatable by M-Lati). Also Lele, Magearna and Kartana caring Z-fighting are a pain.

For that reason, I suggest you try Mimikyu > Alomomola. You lose wish support, yes, but you get in return Mimikyu's great ability to check more offensive oriented teams, as well as priority, which, albeit weak, I feel the team could really use. And you can maintain the ability to burn other mons with Will-o. Of the afored mention, only Magearna is a top threat once you bring Mimikyu to the table (specially now that my ghost has drain punch), and Z-fighting Magearna is somewhat rare.

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch/Will-o-Wisp
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
-Shadow Sneak

OMG this team is so good. Lati can wreak havoc so easily.

I feel like this team is fairly weak to fighting types in general, specially Lopunny-M, Medicham-M and Hawlucha (Conk is threatning, though slow and beatable by M-Lati). Also Lele, Magearna and Kartana caring Z-fighting are a pain.

For that reason, I suggest you try Mimikyu > Alomomola. You lose wish support, yes, but you get in return Mimikyu's great ability to check more offensive oriented teams, as well as priority, which, albeit weak, I feel the team could really use. And you can maintain the ability to burn other mons with Will-o. Of the afored mention, only Magearna is a top threat once you bring Mimikyu to the table (specially now that my ghost has drain punch), and Z-fighting Magearna is somewhat rare.

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch/Will-o-Wisp
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
-Shadow Sneak
I agree fighting types are a problem I usually have to play careful with lati and clef to manage, mimikyu actually helps with that so thank you for the suggestion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)