Bug Reports v2.0 (READ OP BEFORE POSTING!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As your opponent tried to explain to you, a Pokemon with Lightning Rod redirects single target Electric type attacks such as Thunderbolt in double battles, even attacks from the Pokemon's ally.
And I can reassure it happens that way on cartridge as I lost a Battle Tree streak because I thought it did not redirect an ally's moves.

A few more impossible movesets allowed by Pokemon Showdown have cropped up with some of the recent Virtual Console releases. These are mostly routed in future generation exclusive pre evo level up attacks + Evolved Pokemon Gen 1-2 exclusive attacks.

To give an example:

Vaporeon
-Baton Pass - Only Eevee can learn the attack from Crystal-On
-Bubblebeam - Gen 1 Exclusive TM for Vaporeon only

Some impossible movesets can also develop from a combination of three attacks.

Jolteon
-Baton Pass - Only Eevee can learn the attack from Crystal-On
-Flash - Gen 1-3 HM, Gen 4-5 TM only Jolteon can learn.
-Focus Energy - Eevee learns by level up in Yellow, Gold, Silver at level 43, leaves movepool from Crystal-On. Focus Energy is legal with Baton Pass or Flash, but not both. Baton Pass + Flash + HA is legal without Focus Energy.

Other Pokemon effected include Arcanine (Teleport + Any non gen 1 Pre Evo Exclusive attack), Vileplume (HA Body Slam + Any non gen 1 Pre Evo Exclusive attack). Gen 2's Poketransfer update will fix a few of these (HA Body Slam + Sweet Scent Vileplume) but add several more (Zap Cannon + Focus Energy + Baton Pass Flareon, Dynamich Punch + Slack Off Slowking).

Additionally, Bubblebeam + Baton Pass isn't caught by the gen 2 legality checker for a different reason. Since Baton Pass is an Eevee exclusive gen 2 move and Bubblebeam is a Gen 1 TM exclusive, the combo shouldn't be possible.

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
here's an interesting bug in which the user appeared in the userlist but was offline, couldn't be messaged nor found with /ip

afaik there's a similar issue on side servers in which some locked/banned users will appear in the userlist even though they are offline, but this is the first time I see something like that happen on main

And I can reassure it happens that way on cartridge as I lost a Battle Tree streak because I thought it did not redirect an ally's moves.
Wow, I've never read about that before on Bulbapedia, thanks a lot. Is there any other kind of move/ability that works like that too? Once I had problems like that but wasnt an electric attack, since my poke actually got hurt because of it.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow, I've never read about that before on Bulbapedia, thanks a lot. Is there any other kind of move/ability that works like that too? Once I had problems like that but wasnt an electric attack, since my poke actually got hurt because of it.
The only other ability that redirects attacks is Storm Drain with water attacks, but like Lightningrod it nullifies the attack. You're probably just remembering wrong.

I would like to report that fling activates magician when it does not do this in game. From the bulbapedia article for magician "Fling, Natural Gift, Future Sight and Doom Desire do not activate the Ability" Pic related is a hoopa unbound using fling on a leftovers snorlax and taking the leftovers.

Attachments

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Raticate alola looks not 3D when the side is focused on me I tested it recently in PU:
I am pleased to help you with the bugs Smogon :)
i checked this out in https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani-back/ and it looks like the rattata-a and raticate-a sprites are just missing. this is really weird. other alola forms like raichu a are there tho

new bug: when i try to play ps on chrome on my phone, every once in a while it crashes. what happens is that the screen goes black, but chrome keeps working and i can scroll/see the url on the top. refreshing does not fix the problem, i need to go to a different site then back to ps.

The teambuilder prevents Pokemon with Gen 1 Virtual Console transfer moves from being shiny. A user in the help room mentioned it would be possible to obtain a shiny Pokemon in Gen 2, transfer it through the time machine, teach the Pokemon the move there, and then transfer it while keeping its shininess (possibly having to transfer back to Gen 2 first). Honestly I don't have the Gen 2 VC games, so I'm not sure if time machine is accessible at all, but I do know that the WiFi room links to a guide showing how stationary, gift, and fishable Pokemon can be soft-resetted for DVs that, when transferred to Gen 7, result in a shiny Pokemon. At least these Pokemon should be able to be shiny with Gen 1 moves. If somebody can confirm whether the time machine is accessible in VC, then any Pokemon should be able to be shiny with past gen transfer moves.

Had a battle where the opponent's Magearna had no moves and only uses Struggle
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-647881278 (Starts At Turn 2)

Edit: it seems to be possible the Magearna held Assault Vest and only knew status moves, confirmation on whether that's the case or if it was a validator bug would be appreciated if possible

Last edited:

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Raticate alola looks not 3D when the side is focused on me I tested it recently in PU:
I am pleased to help you with the bugs Smogon :)
i checked this out in https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani-back/ and it looks like the rattata-a and raticate-a sprites are just missing. this is really weird. other alola forms like raichu a are there tho
Some gen 7 backsprites are missing because they just haven't been drawn yet. We need someone to 1) draw/extract it, 2) allow PS to use it. This is most notably the case for a lot of gen 7 shiny Pokémon backsprites.

I can't change the EVs on the app. The EVs constantly reset after closing the teambuilder no matter what I do. Not even HP is saved.
Also Ditto does not visually transform and the boosts do not seem to go away when I use Haze from the app. Alternate form minifigures also fail to show up, including Alolan forms and Mega Evolutions. It makes it neddlessly hard to switch pokemon up when you have multiple "?" sprites and you have to select each one of them until you see the right mon and switch. Fortunately switching requires confirmation, otherwise switching the right mon would be just plain dumb luck.

Lionyx

メラミ
PS Admin
I can't change the EVs on the app. The EVs constantly reset after closing the teambuilder no matter what I do. Not even HP is saved.
Also Ditto does not visually transform and the boosts do not seem to go away when I use Haze from the app. Alternate form minifigures also fail to show up, including Alolan forms and Mega Evolutions. It makes it neddlessly hard to switch pokemon up when you have multiple "?" sprites and you have to select each one of them until you see the right mon and switch. Fortunately switching requires confirmation, otherwise switching the right mon would be just plain dumb luck.
Which app are you talking about, the unofficial Android one, or the downloadable client on PC ? In both cases, neither are really up to date and what's generally recommended is to use the browser version to play which is the one the dev team always keeps up to date.

The move 'flatter' only boosts special attack by one stage in the VGC 2017 category. From everything I have read on the move it is suppose to be 2 stages.

Lionyx

メラミ
PS Admin
The move 'flatter' only boosts special attack by one stage in the VGC 2017 category. From everything I have read on the move it is suppose to be 2 stages.
This is the intended behavior, and most websites have it right. You're thinking of Swagger, which boosts the target's Attack stat by two stages.

So I encountered (and tested) something quite interesting on showdown. As we all know, having the ability mold breaker (or teravolt, w/e), ignores the opponent's ability. Therefore, you can hit a pokémon that has levitate with earthquake. Now what I encountered is something that has to do with this mechanic.

Whenever a pokémon with the ability mold breaker goes for a move that fazes the opponent out into another pokémon, this will also negate the ability of the pokémon on switch-in. What this means, is that a pokémon with the ability levitate takes all hazards on the field upon switch in. Hard switching a pokémon into the mold breaker mon does not activate this mechanic, only if the moldbreaker mon goes for a fazing move. This even goes to the extent where, if a poison type gets fazed in by a mold breaker mon, it will get rid of the toxic spikes. I tested this in this replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-649443653 . Now, I am not completely sure whether this is a bug, or whether this also happens on cartridge, and am not able to test this myself. It could, however, be very gamechanging to have a levitating pokémon take spikes/t-spikes/webs. I ask that someone tests this on the cartridge to see how this mechanic works there, and if it does turn out to be a bug, to have a developer take a look at it.

Lionyx

メラミ
PS Admin
So I encountered (and tested) something quite interesting on showdown. As we all know, having the ability mold breaker (or teravolt, w/e), ignores the opponent's ability. Therefore, you can hit a pokémon that has levitate with earthquake. Now what I encountered is something that has to do with this mechanic.

Whenever a pokémon with the ability mold breaker goes for a move that fazes the opponent out into another pokémon, this will also negate the ability of the pokémon on switch-in. What this means, is that a pokémon with the ability levitate takes all hazards on the field upon switch in. Hard switching a pokémon into the mold breaker mon does not activate this mechanic, only if the moldbreaker mon goes for a fazing move. This even goes to the extent where, if a poison type gets fazed in by a mold breaker mon, it will get rid of the toxic spikes. I tested this in this replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-649443653 . Now, I am not completely sure whether this is a bug, or whether this also happens on cartridge, and am not able to test this myself. It could, however, be very gamechanging to have a levitating pokémon take spikes/t-spikes/webs. I ask that someone tests this on the cartridge to see how this mechanic works there, and if it does turn out to be a bug, to have a developer take a look at it.
Mold Breaker, Turboblaze and Teravolt do only negate the opponent's ability when said opponent is targeted by an attack from the Pokémon that has Mold Breaker, Turboblaze or Teravolt. It doesn't act like the opponent is ability-less.

Mold Breaker, Turboblaze and Teravolt do only negate the opponent's ability when said opponent is targeted by an attack from the Pokémon that has Mold Breaker, Turboblaze or Teravolt. It doesn't act like the opponent is ability-less.
Therefore, the roar/dragon tail hazard combo is a bug?

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Tested it in-game. The behavior there matches with Showdown, based on the test.
Battle Video code of the test: ZQ8W-WWWW-WWW9-BGKA
YT video for those who don't have the game to view it (For shame!):

Edit: wow! that preview image was perfect, I didn't even intend that.

Tested it in-game. The behavior there matches with Showdown, based on the test.
Battle Video code of the test: ZQ8W-WWWW-WWW9-BGKA
YT video for those who don't have the game to view it (For shame!):

Edit: wow! that preview image was perfect, I didn't even intend that.
Very interesting. Thanks for testing! Will definitely keep this in mind while playing, because I never would have guessed thats how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)