Battle Spot BSS Mega Ttar balance

Intro:
Hello smogon, this is my first rate my team and the team I'll be asking for help with is a mega tyranitar team. I love Ttar and am currently using it on battle spot singles and have reached 1751 with it on the global link ladder this season so far. If any of you have any suggestions on EV spreads or just using different mons please tell me in the comments section. Without further ado here is the team.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Dance

Very standard DD mega ttar set, the jolly nature and max speed evs allow mega ttar to out speed base 130 positive speed nature Pokemon after one dragon dance as well outspeed the bulky mimikyus which seem to have caught on lately on the bss. A potential option is to run fire punch over ice punch to hit ferrothorn or scizor but I have yet to encounter scizor on the bss and I place more importance on hitting landog over ferrothorn.

Moltres @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Burn Up
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Moltres works very well with tyranitar being immune to ground type moves while also resisting fighting and fairy which plague Ttar. Main reason I added her is to check mons such as mimikyu and blaziken without thunder punch which can seriously hinder ttars sweep. The speed evs allow moltres to outspeed bulky mimikyu and adamant breloom. Hurricane is to hit fighting types while burn up is very useful as the fire typing can be a liability sometimes such as when facing tapu fini. Together they form a formidable defensive core with each anwering the others counter.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Mago Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 164 SpA / 36 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Taunt

Next, I decided to add 2 more mons with good type synergy with Ttar. Ferrothorn checks mons like landog and electric types that can take on either Ttar or moltres while fini provides an alternate way to deal with fighting types for ferrothorn. Both can check mimikyu who I cannot begin to describe how scary it is in BSS at the moment. Power whip over SR on ferrothorn is to help deal with bulky waters which can threaten moltres and Ttar. Ferrothorn fini and moltres form FWG core to help defensively. Both sets are quite standard but I'm currently not too sure about the ev spreads so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 HP / 172 Atk / 8 Def / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Knock Off
- U-turn

I realised that I needed a lead/cleaner so decided to add scarfed landog. The moveset is quite standard and I'm using 7thgenbattlespots bulky ev spread however again if any of you have suggestions for the ev spread please comment. Landog forms another core with fini and ferro and also helps deal with electric types for fini and moltres. Against breloom teams a great strat is to lead lando against their breloom and u-turn into fini who can take 2 bullet seeds from -1 breloom most of the time using the berry and is immune to spore and proceed to ko with moonblast.

Finally I needed a fast special wall breaker so I decided to go with dragonium z nagandel. Originally I believed it would work very well with landog as landog destroys most counters to naganadel such heatran and Ttar but it didn't work out so well. This mon hasn't been very good so far so any substitutes would be appreciated. The set is below. It's the most standard set possible so again I doubt it needs any explanations.

Naganadel @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot

So yeah that's the team. Please do give suggestions as I'd like to improve this team as much as possible.

Last edited:

Luthier

Don’t get mad, get even.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Hey man. I'm looking at your team and that first thing I think of is how juicy Thundurus looks against it. Honestly the only ways that you deal with the mon is with a revenge kill from Naganadel. To me, I don't really thinks that a good enough way to deal with the mon. At +2, Thundurus ohkos every single member on your team. Another problem that I noticed is celesteela. The only way that you truly hit the mon is with either burn up, which moltres can only use once when it's in, and then a fire blast from naganadel. And last, I think another problem is tapu koko. You don't really have any koko answers since a person can a) click hp ice predicting your lando or b) just spam tbolt if u didnt bring lando that game. Honestly, I think that this team could improve a lot with this one mon:

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 4 Def / 64 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz / Fire Punch
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Stealth Rocks

In my opinion, this is the best mon in the tier that is able to deal with koko and thundurus. Not only does is soak up any electric hit, preventing mindless volt turn spam, it also finds way to hit hard back. In addition, it also is able to deal with celesteela. I think that this mon would be best to replace tapu fini since fini doesn't really do much other than stop blaziken. However, with marowak, you are able to stop non-stone edge variants of blaziken and then also find a way to reduce ur susceptibility to thundurus, koko, and celesteela. Since you are already brining moltres, the only thing you need to way of is a stone-edge variant of blaziken, but that isn't really used often so you should be alright.

Another issue would be your lack of water resists. I know you say that fini is a good way to deal with them and that that might be used over things like marowak alola, when people are spamming things like rain, they almost always carry around a tapu bulu. Bulu also goes through your team. I think an addition to your team that would be very useful is amoongus. It has good defenses and is also able to create some good pivots. Although I haven't personally used that mon often, you could consider using it.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Spore
- Clear Smog / Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Also, for some reason, I don't really like naganadel on this team. It seems like you just slapped on a mon to complete the team. I think you would be better off looking into a more reliable mons that can trap other annoying mons that can run through the team. Something like this :

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Icy Wind / Taunt

In my opinion, if you are looking for the poison spam, this mon is significantly better than naganadel and it also deals with other mons that can be annoying to mons that can halt offensive pressure from your side of the field. Since I think that you lack consistent offensive pressure, this is the best way to deal with that.

All in all, I think you have a decent team right now, but it could be much better. Good Luck!

Outside of what Luthier said, words with which i agree, i'd make some adjustments all around too:

Moltres
you should raise the speed to 116 EVs, neutral nature, in order to outspeed max speed Celesteela.
You could even use 196 EVs to outspeed Breloom, and honestly i'd go with this option since you'd still be 3HKOd by Mega Blaziken with a 252 HP / +60 Def spread.

Naganadel
With 20 EVs in HP you won't be 3HKOd by Chansey's Seismic Toss, increasing your setup opportunities

Tapu Fini
Even having bad accuracy, i'd really go for Hydro Pump on Fini. Surf misses a lot of KOs whereas HPump doesn't. For example +1 Surf will never OHKO SpDef Hippo or Thundurus, where instead Hydro Pump will have a good chance to.
Also, an option over Taunt on it could be HP Fire.

In the end i can say that do like the FWG / DSF cores that the team has, it's a pretty cool team. You need to fix your Thundurus problem (considering Thund it's Z FBlast), but imo you could still deal with it if you manage to go +1 with TTar / +1 with Fini / +2 with Naga and so on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)