SS Doubles OU Blunder policy hydreigon

The team: https://pokepast.es/08444902ca031ff7

This team is mostly a collection of hard hitters. Focus on hyper-balanced offense.

Cinderace @ Expert Belt
Ability: Libero
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Pyro Ball
- Sucker Punch
- High Jump Kick

I chose cinderace primarily for Libero. Provides coverage to a lot of high-tier mons. Pyro ball for rillaboom, amoonguss, and genesect. High jump kick for Kyurem-B. Gunk shot for fairy types, and sucker punch for speed coverage and revenge kills. I chose the expert belt because it felt useful in terms of type coverage plus its synergy with libero. I'm open to changing it, however.

Sirfetch’d @ Leek
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- First Impression
- Brave Bird

I've always been a fan of mons that are hard hitters but kind of niche. I previously used a team with crawdaunt, so I went with a similar style here too. I chose the leek over choice band because I didn't want to be choice locked, especially because of the inclusion of first impression. I think scrappy is an amazing ability, especially because of the meta's reliance on intimidate and ghost types like dragapult. I have questioned whether or not a switching my HP investment into speed would be a better idea, but I decided against so as to not punish myself too much against trick room teams.

Morpeko @ Life Orb
Ability: Hunger Switch
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aura Wheel
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Protect

Hunger switch is a really interesting ability and morpeko packs a surprising punch. I picked morpeko to sure up this team's weakness to psychic and water. Hunger switch allows for that dual coverage to be readily available. Protect gives me the ability to switch back into either electric or dark when I require one over the other. Aura wheel allows me to also develop momentum due to its speed increase.

Hydreigon @ Blunder Policy
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Snarl

Not going to lie, this is kind of gimmick-y. Blunder policy, however, gives me the better ability to use these hard-hitting, low accuracy moves. I chose hydreigon over others due to its SpA stats as well as its ability Levitate, which allows it to create a great core with metagross, especially when it's choice-locked into earthquake.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Steel Roller
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

Metagross was an easy choice for a few reasons. First, it hits unbelievably hard with the choice band, and clear body prevents intimidates. Second, steel roller provides great synergy with fini's misty surge which allows me to OHKO most, if not all, fairy types. Earthquake provides much needed ground coverage, same is true with zen headbutt. And meteor mash exists for when all else fails.

Tapu Fini @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 124 SpA / 32 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Heal Pulse
- Taunt

To be honest, fini's existence on this team is kind of tenuous. I had originally included a physical dragapult but felt I had an overemphasis on dragon and no clear answers to dragon on my own. Fini though provides water coverage which can be very useful in a meta that is filled with lando-t and incineroar. I also appreciate having a special attacker on a team that's mostly physical. However, it doesn't do much else and feels like a last choice. Heal pulse can be useful, but I often find myself using it at the wrong place, wrong time. I would be very open to different suggests for its place.

Here are some replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1445453000
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1445072849
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1446678214

Thanks!

Last edited:

sawamura

Banned deucer.
Hello how are you, Ok first let me tell you that I congratulate you for entering this Tier and believe me that you are going to love it, apparently your team has a very good Core but that would only work a Low Elo which needs an improvement to be located in a situation where you get more results, with this I mean that I invite you to see the Viality Ranking of Smogon Doubles so you can see which mons are the most viable and which are not.

:incineroar: ----> :cinderace:
Now Cinderace is an option where you sacrifice Bulk for power, is it bad? I don't think so, but there are many options to be able to manage a Fire Stab that allows you better results. so Incineroar is a Mon that is much better to support your carries which will give you better results.

:zeraora: ----> :morpeko:

Morpeko has no place here because you need more support with knock Off Plasma Fist taunt and Fake Out to be able to check and have more options to help your team.
Zeraora @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 168 HP / 88 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Coaching/knock Off
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Plasma Fists

Set Metagross set is different and it is better to change it for a more conventional set of rocks and Toxic to be able to go with a better Lead of Zera + metagross = Fake Out + Stealth rocks or put a Hit first Turn.

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Steel Roller / Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Toxic

Fini is much more Conventional to take him Calm Mind because you have two Fake Out Intimidation and you can make fini do the Job much better and you can even change zeraora's Knock off for Coaching since you have a Knock off user like Incineroar.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 72 SpA / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Muddy Water
- Protect

a set not to lose your hydreigon is to take it with tailwind because you have a better game option with a Speed Control and you can have better Mu against Zapdos, Hydreigon is not the best Speed Control but it can exercise to keep some Variety in your game.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Tailwind
- Protect

:landorus:
Lando is your best option to be able to have an Earth type Stab since you don't have anything besides your fini and inci configuration to be able to hit Tran Shifu or all the mons that are below his Speed of 331 so this option is much better to have some control and put pressure. Psyquic to hit other Landos and incinerate. It controls RIllaboom very, very well and can complicate your Fini.

https://pokepast.es/d5024673eabaf37a This is the team with a best Opcion to Run

:zeraora::incineroar::tapu-fini::metagross::hydreigon::Landorus:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)