Black & White Battle Subway Records

Looking back at my best Subway teams so far (PKHeX'd, you know it):

:bw/sawk: :bw/latios: :bw/bisharp: :bw/milotic: JetSawk (291 wins)

:bw/landorus: :bw/raikou: :bw/scrafty: :bw/suicune: Scrafty Triangle (636)

:bw/whimsicott: :bw/heatran: :bw/rotom-wash: :bw/latios: Jump WhimsiTran (325)

And the new contender...

:bw/landorus-therian: :bw/thundurus: :bw/vaporeon: :bw/scizor: Double Genie Quadrangle (336)

Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf, 252 Atk / enough Spe for 134 stat / rest HP, Adamant, Intimidate; Earthquake / Rock Slide / Fly / U-turn
Thundurus @ Life Orb, 252 SpA / Spe, Timid, Prankster; Thunderbolt / Grass Knot / HP Ice / Protect
Vaporeon @ Sitrus Berry, 252 Def / SpA, Modest, Water Absorb; Scald / Ice Beam / Helping Hand / Protect
Scizor @ Steel Gem, 252 HP / Atk, Adamant, Technician; Bullet Punch / Bug Bite / Swords Dance / Protect

Hey look it's Vappers!! Super cute!!

I remember that turskain called it "an interesting choice" back when I was just starting my Subway adventure and had no idea what I was doing. Now it's finally vindicated.

Backstory: I tried the Gengar team from my last post again but lost very quickly (double RS miss lol) and wondered whether a different structure might work better. JetSawk proved the integrity of the Steel + Water backline with a Scarfer + LOer in front; the Scrafty team showed how good Landorus + Electric upfront with a backline Water-type can be. Do we really need the Water to float? It's usually switching in for Landorus anyway. The frontliner must float, though -- and Thundurus is an easy choice; not only does it provide Grass Knot over Zapdos, but also the coveted 111 Speed tier. What does it matter that my leads are both Blizzard-weak, Froslass -- and by extension most anything else -- won't ever get to attack, and things like Vaporeon or Lapras, which formerly mandated slow play with a Rotom switch, now just get KO'd by U-turn + TBolt too. (Do not ask about Quick Claw Glaceon. It's only on certain trainers since it's set1, but both Ice Workers and Nursery Aides, the latter of which I've learned to respect, use it and it's horrible. But more in a minute.)

Settling on a Water-type was tougher -- gen5 does not lack competition. Obviously it needs to attack with Scald and wield Sitrus Berry, or we could just have Lum Rotom-W again (Electric-type is "pure profit" for it -- there are no downsides at all). Suicune should always be the first consideration -- it's reasonably fast, takes over games with Calm Mind, but also has enough power and bulk off the bat to 2HKO the natural prey of Water-types and live through it. Everything else is measured by its distance to Cune: Milotic has Recover and Haze, but low Defense unless it invests to the detriment of its SpA. Blastoise has Fake Out, but less of everything else (Water Spout is obviously not an argument on TW-less teams). Empoleon dies to EQ -- no thanks (Empoleon is cool on other teams, though; see note at the end). Gastrodon has a great ability for Landorus support and offers more Electric insurance (note how weak the team is to Electric when Lando dies), but is Ice-neutral -- too risky. Politoed powers up opposing Waters and Rain trainers in particular -- really bad (I would have lost at least one particular endgame to Kingdra with Politoed). Starmie is fast, but frail and still kind of weak for the bulk tradeoff. Which leaves us with Vaporeon. It might not seem to do anything special, but it has everything a good Water needs: it is bulky enough to excellently exploit Sitrus Berry while also taking <50% from Lando's EQ (important because it should not die to a crit), hits for more than anything else, and offers "priority" in Helping Hand that leeches off the effective speed and power of its partner. Since the team around Vap is all speedy offense, this is a great fit -- it most commonly boosts Bullet Punch, but sealing endgames can occur with anything next to it.

The choice of Steel is pretty self-explanatory: Scizor kills Ice better than any other Steel except maybe Metagross, which would be weak to EQ. Lum would sometimes be nice to have, but I prefer Steel Gem for versatility (and the HH combo). Freeze to Scizor is usually not the end of the world, either, since it at least stops Ices defensively as well and Vap gets time to soften them up with Scald. The team's "Rock resist" is thus Intimidate, but you can manage; Rock coverage is usually on Grounds and Rocks, which don't get much chance to even fire their attacks, and something like Ampharos Power Gem is pretty much moot because it could just blast the team with Electric moves anyway.

Blizzard is actually still pretty bad. Vap's hour to shine came when it defeated Flareon + Quick Claw Glaceon from a Nursery Aide, Mirror Coat notwithstanding, in a 1-2 situation (which was 3-2 before EXTREME KILLER GLACEON toggled, obviously). Then Battle #300 was vs. a Janitor packing Abomasnow / Absol / Articuno / Empoleon, Swagger plus triple Blizzard (I U-turned T1 for fear of a Fly miss, which might have been overcautious). I barely got out alive and probably only because Thundurus did not hit itself on a crucial turn. If the Eruption Entei / Typhlosion ever crits Lando T1, there is most likely trouble as well.

The loss occurred to Garchomp / Archeops / Haxorus / Salamence (Biker). Garchomp was Scarfed and killed Lando with crit Outrage. Haxorus came in for the KO'd Archeops, and I had no chance against double Outrage spam unless I had gotten lucky with targeting. (Garchomp didn't hit itself and immediately snapped out of confusion right afterwards, Haxorus had Persim Berry).

Anyhow, there you have 300 with Scarf Lando-T -- it can be done, as I had assumed previously. Maybe not with Rotom ;)

tldr: This is my legacy: Water good, Electric/Ground good, priority good, balance good.

PS. I also tried Froslass (with backline Empoleon + Latios, and Scarf Lando-Incarnate -- still with U-turn, though), mostly for curiosity about how much work Destiny Bond does for the Gengar team. It did roughly as well as Froslass will ever do (169 wins). As mentioned, Empoleon is pretty cool, compressing the Water/Steel backline into a single slot, taking SE only from what Lando resists/is immune to, and bashing Ices with Flash Cannon (don't use IB, Scald/Grass Knot/Flash Cannon is best). The loss occurred to a legendary trainer with triple genies and DMeteor Latias -- just too much outspeeding going on (for added fatality, my Latios had 30 Spe IV HP Fire) and Empo being dead to Thundurus TBolt in the endgame.

PPS. I think Sableye is a cool suggestion in a vacuum but unfortunately doesn't seem like the choice for Lando -- takes too much damage from EQ (unless Air Balloon lol -- I guess it could get away with that) and Gravity isn't so great either (you don't want to take away your own team's crucial immunities), if anything I'd use it for FO, priority Leer and guaranteed Froslass dunking with Sucker Punch + Lando's attack. Add Recover in slot 4 (Prankster Recover so good). Still pretty passive, unfortunately -- same reason why I don't like to use things like Alomomola.

Last edited:
PPS. I think Sableye is a cool suggestion in a vacuum but unfortunately doesn't seem like the choice for Lando -- takes too much damage from EQ (unless Air Balloon lol -- I guess it could get away with that) and Gravity isn't so great either (you don't want to take away your own team's crucial immunities), if anything I'd use it for FO, priority Leer and guaranteed Froslass dunking with Sucker Punch + Lando's attack. Add Recover in slot 4 (Prankster Recover so good). Still pretty passive, unfortunately -- same reason why I don't like to use things like Alomomola.
Yeah, probably Sableye with Gravity would need a bit of a different team (although I think with Landorus-T it still may be a viable combination). Maybe in the subway it would be rather passive. I play it in online battles gen 6 Doubles and Will-O-Wisp is just so good (I win many battles with Charge Beam Blissey in the end, and yes, this is doubles). I guess Knock Off is the other reason why it never feels passive, so yeah, maybe it's too weak in gen5. I just thought of it because the backrows of your teams to me seem to be built a bit more on the defensive, well balanced side and may enjoy some burn or other support, compared to many other teams who just hit hard and fast.

Gravity is probably better with Lando-I than T. Could be worth trying, but the issue is that I don't see it surpassing the Scrafty team. Lando really appreciates Electric co-leads and Scrafty does much of what Sableye does more reliably / more actively. Intimidate is just better than Prankster WoW for the most part, not least because of accuracy.

You're right that my preferred style has fast offense up front, defensive options in the back. Even 4K kind of does this if you count Kangaskhan as defensive. That said, you can see why I'm not a fan of frontline Sableye from this description. An item-boosted Electric is simply too good with Lando. If I was to try FO with this team, I would probably default to Sitrus Berry Blastoise in Vap's place because the Water + Lando / Water + Scizor synergy is hard to deny. But, consider: Vaporeon cute.

I do agree Sableye has potential but I haven't yet found the team for it. Blissey sounds like a cool synergistic wincon, yeah. Could probably even be the classic GG Unit Minimize Chansey, it seems like it takes roughly as long to win as Charge Beam does.

Edit: Btw, the loss mentioned above was probably avoidable by clicking SD with Scizor first (I BP'd Haxorus for <50%, which I definitely didn't expect -- no set lookup "stupidity" / negligence strikes again). Steel Gem +2 Bullet Punch has a range to OHKO the (ridiculous) 168 HP / 168 Def Haxorus, which would have saved me even with Salamence subsequently Intimidating Scizor back down, I think -- Thund might have taken -1 Outrage from Chomp but unless that crit again, it wasn't an OHKO and Thund could have OHKO'd non-Yache Mence before it moved, after which Garchomp should lose alone although I think +1 BP without Gem is a 3HKO.

Last edited:
Yes, actually I play Landorus-I in that team, with LO and Earthpower, Focus Blast, HP Ice, Protect. Focus Blast also gets the Sheer Force Boost, its insane. Under Gravtiy it OHKOs considerably more mons than Specs Latios, if you take the subway sets for reference. I would play this with Sableye in the subway, but I have no access to Landorus. I played this cool Team here from flav0r a while ago and thought about some variation, as it was weak against fast electrics.

Haha, Vaporeon <3
I see your points with electrics and Scrafty.

For the doubles Blissey, it's not as passive as it may seem. It has 252 SAtk and Blizzard (and Softboiled + Aromatherapy). Landorus-T often think they can switch in on this. A lot of things in this meta don't like to be hit by Blizzards, even when they are weak at first. And due to Gravity they never miss. Blissey is a nice win condition as killing or burning the physical attackers usually is sufficient for the win, but it often already pressures the opponent as the battles goes.

:bw/gyarados: :bw/raichu: :bw/landorus: :bw/scizor:

Gyarados @ Lum Berry, 220 Atk / 124 SpD / 164 Spe, Jolly, Intimidate; Dragon Dance / Waterfall / Return / Protect
Raichu @ Focus Sash, 252 SpA / Spe, Timid, Lightning Rod; Fake Out / Protect / Thunderbolt / HP Ice
Landorus @ Life Orb, 252 SpA / Spe, Timid, Sheer Force; Earth Power / Sludge Bomb / Grass Knot / Protect
Scizor @ Steel Gem, 252 HP / Atk, Adamant, Technician; Bullet Punch / Bug Bite / Swords Dance / Protect

266 wins with Gyaraichu (PKHeX'd as always). Lost an engineered 1v1 with +2 Scizor vs Milotic (Ice Beam froze immediately, no thaw in 5 turns), but had already lived through a miraculous salvage at ~235 where +2 Scizor 1v3'd the opposition thanks to the only mon that could have given the win (?) appearing last, Sitrus Berry Gothitelle (snacking the berry was vital). The computer does not respect Lightning Rod, which gives you free wins every so often. The team features a Water/Electric/Ground triangle + Water/Ground/Scizor triangle once again. Lando also floats, which has obvious synergy with Raichu; Ground is needed because Raichu won't be around forever to deflect Electric. SD Scizor is better than Metagross here (also for opposing Def/evasion boosters). The strangely specific Gyara spread is to reach 134 Speed and get 2HKO'd by Glaceon Blizzard (which I lost the first attempt to) <5% of the time, factoring in Waterfall flinch and accuracy. Water + Normal gives good neutral coverage (of all the Subway foes, only Empoleon and Ferrothorn resist both attacks). While Raichu is seriously weak, it still has enough power to KO Walrein4 with TBolt after +1 Return chip.

:bw/ninetales: :bw/scrafty: :bw/latios: :bw/charizard:

Ninetales @ Focus Sash, 252 SpA / Spe, Modest, Drought; Nasty Plot / Heat Wave / Solar Beam / Protect
Scrafty @ Fighting Gem, 244 HP / 244 Atk / 20 Spe, Adamant, Intimidate; Fake Out / Drain Punch / Payback / Protect
Latios @ Life Orb, 252 SpA / Spe, Timid, Levitate; Dragon Pulse / Psyshock / HP Ground / Protect
Charizard @ Choice Scarf, 252 SpA / Spe, Modest, Solar Power; Heat Wave / Solar Beam / Air Slash / Dragon Pulse

Scrafty's Solar Empire (PKHeX'd) wins 197. This is only the second-best Sun record, but I don't think anyone has tried Charizard, so it's worth reporting. Solar Power Heat Wave is exactly as strong as Typhlosion's Eruption, but it can miss (the trade-off is that Charizard's coverage is much stronger and you can actually switch it into things without worrying about Eruption BP). Dragon Pulse has a ~30% shot to OHKO Latios in sun (guaranteed with Fake Out chip, although I don't like FOing Latios because it's better if it spends Draco Meteor right away), so I chose it over HP Ice. I found that Ninetales is very good at taking 85-90% damage and surviving, thus no Life Orb here -- instead, we have the FO-enabled Nasty Plot, which can amp up the damage to seal a game immediately if both opposing leads are slower than Tales and can't both status it badly. I would have liked HP Rock or Ice but there's no room -- Protect is ultimately much more valuable. The other moveset choices are pretty obvious; HP Ground particularly helps with Flash Fire mons (Heatran foremost, although I think I didn't see a single Heatran on this streak) but is the best choice anyway. Scrafty notably has Payback here because that guarantees an OHKO on uninvested Lati@s (unlike Crunch), Trick Room doesn't really enter the picture (and when it did, Scrafty was usually slower in TR than the Psychic threats).

I played really well on this streak, I think -- lots of close calls where good decisions made the difference. The losing battle is worth a closer description:

Clerk (male) sends out Mienshao / Aerodactyl (set3). I know I'm in danger.
T1: Click FO Aero, Solar Beam Aero. Mienshao FOs Scrafty, Rock Gem RS goes through, Ninetales takes ~75% (Scrafty obviously takes pittance), does not flinch. Solar Beam rolls low, but that doesn't matter (min is 45%).
T2: Click Protect with Scrafty, switch Ninetales to Latios. This may have been a mistake, as Latios is often more worthwhile than Ninetales, but hard to say. In a match where I have to come back from a bad lead, Tales may be better since Heat Wave hits both foes (usually). Still, in all scenarios where Shao does not crit Latios with HJK, this is better because I can sacrifice Tales next turn while Latios Protects, and then Latios can get rid of Aerodactyl and be well-positioned to also chip Mienshao down to Sash on the following turn, while Scrafty doesn't die to -2 HJK.
Aero uses RS, Latios takes chip (20-25%). Mienshao uses HJK... into Latios. Crit! KO (crit does 84% min). Okay.
I send Charizard (what else).
T3: Deliberating that Solar Beaming Aero will lead to All My Friends Are Dead Syndrome, more so since Scrafty cannot Protect this turn and needs to switch into Tales to avoid the (possible, not guaranteed) -1 HJK OHKO (Shao is Sashed, so I cannot prevent it unless Air Slash flinches it, but Air Slash is obviously a bad lock here anyway) and reset Fake Out/Inti, which I might direly need yet, I click Heat Wave and switch, knowing that Wave does 56% min to Aero and this is not the Wide Guard Mienshao.
Heat Wave misses Aero, lol. Rock Slide kills Tales + Zard (Zard had 50% to survive RS but would always have died to Solar Power). No mistake; if I hadn't switched out Scrafty, Tales would have died next turn anyway. Simply bad luck on the right play.
T4: Scrafty alone vs three mons, can it still win? The Clerk sends out Blissey3. This seems almost survivable, but Blissey immediately clicks Counter into my Drain Punch (does not OHKO) and I lose. I might have been better off killing Aero first, but chances were grim either way.

The loss makes Heat Wave look really bad. In truth, consider that it took nearly 200 battles for its miss chance to matter -- that's how good it usually is. Thrower would have lost much earlier. I'm sure Heat Wave won't be cracking 1000 any time soon, but that's not why I play.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)