Metagame Benjamin Butterfree

Approved by scpinion and Chloe.

banner created by Chloe.
Metagame Premise
Pokemon Evolution has been a staple in the games since day one, but the devolution of Pokemon has never really been experimented with.But now, it will finally be put to good use. In this metagame, Instead of fainting, all pokemon that have a prior evolution will devolve into that pokemon, and then faint once it's lowest stage of the evolution pokemon faints. Another special rule is, any move or ability that a higher stage evolution can have but a lower pokemon can't will be removed (Move) or Changed (Ability) once it devolves. Lets go into this a bit further with the Pokemon Toucannon.

Toucannon @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Beak Blast
- Overheat
This is a set for Toucannon, it will retain it's moveset and ability until it turns into Trumbeak
Trumbeak @ Life Orb
Ability: Pickup
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
Since Trumbeak doesn't learn Beak Blast or Overheat, and doesn't retain the ability Sheer Force, It loses both moves and it's ability changes to Trumbeak's hidden ability, Pickup. Now it is useless, only learning SD and Roost. Once it faints, it turns into Pikipek

Pikipek @ Life Orb
Ability: Pickup
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
Pikipek retains the same Moveset as Trumbeak, and once it faints, it is truly fainted

Rules:
Mechanic:
Pokemon devolve when fainting, losing all moves and abilities that it's evolution had but it doesn't.
Clauses: Standard OU Clauses
Bans: Blissey

Unbans: Nothing Yet

Strategy:

• Since Pokemon devolve in this metagame, Pokemon with usable pre-evolutions really shine here. Some examples are Conkeldurr, Scizor, and Weavile​
    • Pokemon without pre evolutions are much less viable, and using them is the equivalent of using only 5 Pokemon against an opponent with 6 Pokemon​
    • Check to see if a Pokemon's pre evolution has the moves and abilities that the evolution has, it is annoying to have a Pokemon that cant do anything because it lost an important move upon DeEvolution​
Q&A:
Q:
How do Mega Evolutions work?
A: If a Mega Evolution dies, it will not turn into it's regular form, it will either devolve into it's Pre-Evolution (Mega Scizor to Scyther) or die (Mega Mawile).
Q: How do Items work?
A: If an item is Knocked Off or Consumed, it will not appear on the Pre-Evolution once it devolves.
Q: How do Statuses work?
A: If a Pokemon has a status condition, it will go away once it devolves.
Q: How do Stat Boosts work?
A: If a Pokemon uses a setup move, the boost will go away once it devolves.
Resources:
Playability: Playable on Dragonheaven
Council: None Yet
Replays: None Yet
Ban History: Nothing Yet
Gen 6 Thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/benjamin-butterfree-aka-pokemon-deevolution.3581895/

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Yo this meta looks cool and all but I have two problems:

1) I can't find the non-randbats version of this meta on Dragonheaven. Am I just blind?

2) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7randombenjaminbutterfree-37271 for some reason towards the end one of my mons devolved, stayed at 0%, and became invincible. I have no idea why it happened. It happened to the bot early on but it switched so you cant see anything. Try turn 35.

1) I can't find the non-randbats version of this meta on Dragonheaven. Am I just blind?

2) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7randombenjaminbutterfree-37271 for some reason towards the end one of my mons devolved, stayed at 0%, and became invincible. I have no idea why it happened. It happened to the bot early on but it switched so you cant see anything. Try turn 35.
1) Oh shoot you are right, i will talk to one of the hosts about getting a non-randbats version onto the server

2) That is probably a bug.

I swear there was one last gen, maybe it got removed? Also I have no idea about the second one, probably a bug.
I'll ask someone if they can add a non randbats version.

Weavile, Gallade, Vibrava, Froslass, Spewpa, and all the Eevees have the same ability in slots 1 and 2, but evolve from something that puts different abilities in each of those slots. It's not so big a deal in Spewpa's case since Vivillon disambiguates the ability slots again, but something like a Water Absorb Vaporeon...when that devolves, how are you supposed to specify whether Eevee should end up with Adaptability or Run Away? In the case of Vibrava->Trapinch, there are even three abilities that all merge into one.

Weavile, Gallade, Vibrava, Froslass, Spewpa, and all the Eevees have the same ability in slots 1 and 2, but evolve from something that puts different abilities in each of those slots. It's not so big a deal in Spewpa's case since Vivillon disambiguates the ability slots again, but something like a Water Absorb Vaporeon...when that devolves, how are you supposed to specify whether Eevee should end up with Adaptability or Run Away? In the case of Vibrava->Trapinch, there are even three abilities that all merge into one.
For everything you mentioned not named Vibrava, the ability will be the first ability, so that means Sneasel gets Keen Eye, Kirlia gets Synchronize, Snorunt gets Inner Focus, and Eevee gets Run Away (no Adaptability).

As for Vibrava, I think the safest option is to just go with the first ability, so Trapinch will always get Hyper Cutter. I don't know any way that allows you to choose between Hyper Cutter and Sheer Force without using Shinies, but making a whole new rule just for one Pokemon doesn't seem like a good idea.

For everything you mentioned not named Vibrava, the ability will be the first ability, so that means Sneasel gets Keen Eye, Kirlia gets Synchronize, Snorunt gets Inner Focus, and Eevee gets Run Away (no Adaptability).

As for Vibrava, I think the safest option is to just go with the first ability, so Trapinch will always get Hyper Cutter. I don't know any way that allows you to choose between Hyper Cutter and Sheer Force without using Shinies, but making a whole new rule just for one Pokemon doesn't seem like a good idea.
i mean also arena trap exists and is sort of maybe a little bit good
as in its absolutely far and away the best ability on trapinch

Suggestion: let it work the same way as choosing what ability a mega evolution has pre-mega. So, for example, if you put Flygon with Arena Trap in teambuilder, you will get a Flygon with Levitate that will turn into a Trapinch with Arena Trap after it devolves twice.

Some final evolutions have multiple abilities though, such as Scizor getting technician or light metal.
Going by my suggestion, if you choose Technician, then both Scizor and Scyther will have Technician. If you choose Swarm, they'll both have Swarm. If you choose either Light Metal or Steadfast, then Scizor will have Light Metal and Scyther will have Steadfast. If for some reason you want Swarm on Scizor and Steadfast on Scyther, you're out of luck. My suggestion only makes a difference when the final evolution has fewer abilities to choose from than the Pokémon it devolves into.

How does destiny bond work?

Like if I have a Gengar use Destiny bond and it dies, does it bring the opposing pokemon down as well, or does it not work

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I wanted to save this thread. Would you say that Eviolite is worth using, if it takes a KO before it works? This is notable if a Pokémon has 2 previous evolutions. At the cost of no use for the first form.

Also for Eevee, using Yawn the turn it's evolution will be KOed could allow it to set up itself next turn with Extreme Evoboost as Yawn either forces a switch or allows Protect to stall for the sleep. Wish could also be a full heal if coming from Vaporeon. Say you Wish, then next turn you faint, now if Eevee can survive the next hit, it can rest assured it will be fully healed.

Maybe a moveset (you decide which evolution), Yawn, Protect, Last Resort, Stored Power/Filler

You could also use moves that it's evolutions would exclusively know, eliminating moves from its moveset when it turns into Eevee, allowing Eevee to attack with Last Resort once it has set up without having to use any moves to fulfill Last Resprt requirements.

Last edited:

Porygon-Z @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Just a fun thought! Porygon-Z is a great catalyst for Porygon2, and I think its great power means running Eviolite is fine in this case since it'll die fairly quickly anyways. Nasty Plot while you can, as you lose it when you de-evolve. However, Porygon2 at a potential +4 is insanely frightening and with great bulk + recover... Good luck! To my understanding, you can Download three times, which gives the potential to reach +5, if you really play your cards. Could run Agility to make it into a nasty wrecking ball, or play it more safe with Recover. Up to you. Seems like a really fun metagame!

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.

Porygon-Z @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Just a fun thought! Porygon-Z is a great catalyst for Porygon2, and I think its great power means running Eviolite is fine in this case since it'll die fairly quickly anyways. Nasty Plot while you can, as you lose it when you de-evolve. However, Porygon2 at a potential +4 is insanely frightening and with great bulk + recover... Good luck! To my understanding, you can Download three times, which gives the potential to reach +5, if you really play your cards. Could run Agility to make it into a nasty wrecking ball, or play it more safe with Recover. Up to you. Seems like a really fun metagame!
Just be advised that once you faint to devolve you lose boosts from a previous form.
Speaking of, how do Z-moves work? Can you use them per devolution or just 1x per game? I.e. Z-Conversion Porygon-z, 2, original.

Just be advised that once you faint to devolve you lose boosts from a previous form.
Speaking of, how do Z-moves work? Can you use them per devolution or just 1x per game?
Oh... Damn. Well, either way, getting three different Download boosts seems fun and each Porygon is unique in their own way so it should be pretty fun to use.

Benjamin Butterfree is now playable as a single player format on http://dragonheaven.psim.us/!
Bah, I've been Greninja'd... (I've only just got around to adding it to ROM.)
You could also use moves that it's evolutions would exclusively know, eliminating moves from its moveset when it turns into Eevee, allowing Eevee to attack with Last Resort once it has set up without having to use any moves to fulfill Last Resprt requirements.
Last Resort fails if it's your only move, so on ROM I mark the other moves has having been used and no PP left instead, allowing this strategy to succeed (assuming you survive long enough).
Just like Mega-Evolutions, Ash-Greninja will devolve into Frogadier.
This doesn't make sense; Greninja-Ash can't get Frogadier's or egg moves.
How does destiny bond work?
It won't work if you devolve rather than faint.
Suggestion: let it work the same way as choosing what ability a mega evolution has pre-mega. So, for example, if you put Flygon with Arena Trap in teambuilder, you will get a Flygon with Levitate that will turn into a Trapinch with Arena Trap after it devolves twice.
A nice idea, and I will try to implement this on ROM.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Bah, I've been Greninja'd... (I've only just got around to adding it to ROM.)
Last Resort fails if it's your only move, so on ROM I mark the other moves has having been used and no PP left instead, allowing this strategy to succeed (assuming you survive long enough).
This doesn't make sense; Greninja-Ash can't get Frogadier's or egg moves.
It won't work if you devolve rather than faint.
A nice idea, and I will try to implement this on ROM.
I meant if at least 1 move besides last resort, (I assumed you needed to use them all after devolving. Either way, glad to know you made it count as long as it was used either way.

This game is fun.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
2) That is probably a bug.
I've played a few randbats games, and it seems like if you bring the opponent directly down to 0, the pokemon will either devolve and stay at 0%, or stay as original evolution and stay at 0%. Either way, it's just a cosmetic bug, and the pokemon is not invincible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)