Battle Spot Singles Good Cores

Making a masterpiece out of a core isn't easy, and most of the listed ones here are basic ones who are overall solid, but need backups in order to deal with their weaknesses.
However it is another thing when a core straightly loses to one of the most used mons out there, such as Tapu Koko.

This being said, i could probably add it and put a bold statement in the description with "Please add something that can deal with Koko and bring it in 90% of the games"
Yes, and Fini, Steela, Zard X is one of those overall solid cores that requires other pokemon to help deal with their weak matchups.

Also, Tapu Fini, Celesteela Charizard X does not lose to Tapu Koko on Team preview. Bulky Charizard X walls every variant of Tapu Koko and that includes Choice Specs Thunderbolt in Electric Terrain which does not 2HKO. Charizard X can actually lead vs. Landorus-T, Hippowdon or Tapu Fini and puts pressure on these pokemon both due to Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Punch vs. Fini and the fear of Charizard Y. It also lives any move from those pokemon at which point you can pivot into other pokemon if need be. Tapu Fini can also lead fine vs. Tapu Koko and beat it 1v1 due to terrain switch. Is Tapu Koko a threat? Sure, but I think this applies to the vast majority of cores mentioned here. I'm pretty sure if you mentioned any core here, I could pick out a glaring weakness to a top BSS pokemon. I'd argue Thundurus-T is more of a problem to the core than Tapu Koko.

My opinion, most Koko matchups are a skill matchup in the opponents favour but you have the tools to win even if you are just considering those three pokemon and no secondaries.

Also, another opinion which is probably why I rate the core higher than you, I don't think Tapu Koko is that good. In the viability rankings for example, I think it is easily the worst A+ pokemon.

Last edited:
Yes, and Fini, Steela, Zard X is one of those overall solid cores that requires other pokemon to help deal with their weak matchups.

Also, Tapu Fini, Celesteela Charizard X does not lose to Tapu Koko on Team preview. Bulky Charizard X walls every variant of Tapu Koko and that includes Choice Specs Thunderbolt in Electric Terrain which does not 2HKO. Charizard X can actually lead vs. Landorus-T, Hippowdon or Tapu Fini and puts pressure on these pokemon both due to Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Punch vs. Fini and the fear of Charizard Y. It also lives any move from those pokemon at which point you can pivot into other pokemon if need be. Tapu Fini can also lead fine vs. Tapu Koko and beat it 1v1 due to terrain switch. Is Tapu Koko a threat? Sure, but I think this applies to the vast majority of cores mentioned here. I'm pretty sure if you mentioned any core here, I could pick out a glaring weakness to a top BSS pokemon. I'd argue Thundurus-T is more of a problem to the core than Tapu Koko.

My opinion, most Koko matchups are a skill matchup in the opponents favour but you have the tools to win even if you are just considering those three pokemon and no secondaries.

Also, another opinion which is probably why I rate the core higher than you, I don't think Tapu Koko is that good. In the viability rankings for example, I think it is easily the worst A+ pokemon.
I don't agree with you saying that Charizard is able to lead vs Landorus and Hippowdon. Will-O-Wisp, despite its raise in popularity in our tournaments, isn't really the most used set on cartridge and this is why i don't want to give the idea that you could stay in with charizard vs those two to people who are willing to learn the tier. Dealing with Tapu Fini isn't that better, unless charizard has tpunch or really goes heavy on Sword Dance/Dragon Dance + Fire STAB or Earthquake while somehow being able to survive to Fini's consecutive attacks.

Anyway we could try to figure out a good description for the core to say both, that it can be solid, and that it - really - needs stuff to deal with Tapu Koko or similar stuff such as Thundurus-T because of what we said.

I don't agree with you saying that Charizard is able to lead vs Landorus and Hippowdon. Will-O-Wisp, despite its raise in popularity in our tournaments, isn't really the most used set on cartridge and this is why i don't want to give the idea that you could stay in with charizard vs those two to people who are willing to learn the tier. Dealing with Tapu Fini isn't that better, unless charizard has tpunch or really goes heavy on Sword Dance/Dragon Dance + Fire STAB or Earthquake while somehow being able to survive to Fini's consecutive attacks.

Anyway we could try to figure out a good description for the core to say both, that it can be solid, and that it - really - needs stuff to deal with Tapu Koko or similar stuff such as Thundurus-T because of what we said.
I think understanding the context of sets within cores is important and perhaps that can be mentioned. Wisp all things considered is about 20% usage on Charizard X but more specifically is pretty common on that core (Charizard X is insanely versatile and can be ran in lots of cores in different ways so going off total usage stats is misleading). This is because the role of Charizard X is generally different than on lots of teams where it tends to be used as a sweeper.

The reason it is used in Tournaments is because of Nouthuca and top blog teams from S13-16 and I think that is important to recognise.

BTW: This is an example of a typical team using this core:

https://pokepast.es/1708437bbc57879b

They have ways to deal with these things. I'm more than happy saying, well this needs a ground because nearly every team in my opinion needs an electric immunity of some sort. That is a bit different than saying a core is not solid and was my only objection since no core of three would be solid if we picked out stuff. I'm happy to leave it at that.

I think understanding the context of sets within cores is important and perhaps that can be mentioned. Wisp all things considered is about 20% usage on Charizard X but more specifically is pretty common on that core (Charizard X is insanely versatile and can be ran in lots of cores in different ways so going off total usage stats is misleading). This is because the role of Charizard X is generally different than on lots of teams where it tends to be used as a sweeper.

The reason it is used in Tournaments is because of Nouthuca and top blog teams from S13-16 and I think that is important to recognise.

BTW: This is an example of a typical team using this core:

https://pokepast.es/1708437bbc57879b

They have ways to deal with these things. I'm more than happy saying, well this needs a ground because nearly every team in my opinion needs an electric immunity of some sort. That is a bit different than saying a core is not solid and was my only objection since no core of three would be solid if we picked out stuff. I'm happy to leave it at that.
Mega Charizard X balance

Dragon-Steel-Fairy core which packs a pretty solid synergy in both, defense and offense, after Charizard mega evolves. Pre mega evolution the core has to be wary of Electric-type such as Tapu Koko and Thundurus, which can hit for super-effective damage and potentially sweep whole trio. For this reason Ground-type such as Landorus-T or Electric-type resistant Pokemon are much appreciated teammates. Will-O-Wisp support from Mega Charizard X could be a key tool, making the core's strategy even more balanced, this is why this core's Mega Charizard often leans towards bulky EVs spreads and support moves such as WoW and Roost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)