Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

Hello, cool team!

Vikavolt is unviable in Monotype Bug because it’s too slow to be an efficient wallbreaker. While bug is weak to flying, many Pokemon help the matchup a lot more than Vikavolt does. I recommend replacing it with Galvantula as your whole team appreciates Sticky Web support, plus it can deal with Toxapex pretty well which is a pretty big threat to bug teams.

The rest of your team looks good, but I’d ask in the Monotype room or on our Discord for help with specific sets. Good luck with the team!
So, I had a few fights with my Monotype Bug team, and actually you were right about Galvantula ! Here's a fight I'm particularly proud of that I just did : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-681605244

Thanks for the advice, man !

Hi, I have various small questions. Looking at the Monotype banlist, I notice the presence of both Zygarde. By specifying that I did not attend the debate of the ban of these two pokémons, I suppose that the move Thousand Arrows is at the origin of that (the prohibition of the form 10% proves it). You suspect the question, why not ban this move instead (unless Zygarde is itself broken because of its mass)? Forbid a move may be a complex ban but the case of Baton Pass suggests that no

Out of curiosity, how is it that Landorus, Deoxys-S and Deoxys-D (somehow also Arena Trap) are allowed (unlike the simple formats)? It may seem illogical at first glance

While trying to build a team Uber Monotype on the server http://rom.psim.us/, we notice that Marshadow is still allowed (it seemed to me that he was the only ban). Updates have not been made? Ditto for the UU Monotype where it looks like we can play Landorus and the Deoxys (which seem to me to be top tier in "Monotype OU")

Good luck for the future (to highlight these unknown formats) and I hope that it will also have in future a Monotype RU, see more

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Hi, I have various small questions. Looking at the Monotype banlist, I notice the presence of both Zygarde. By specifying that I did not attend the debate of the ban of these two pokémons, I suppose that the move Thousand Arrows is at the origin of that (the prohibition of the form 10% proves it). You suspect the question, why not ban this move instead (unless Zygarde is itself broken because of its mass)? Forbid a move may be a complex ban but the case of Baton Pass suggests that no

Out of curiosity, how is it that Landorus, Deoxys-S and Deoxys-D (somehow also Arena Trap) are allowed (unlike the simple formats)? It may seem illogical at first glance

While trying to build a team Uber Monotype on the server http://rom.psim.us/, we notice that Marshadow is still allowed (it seemed to me that he was the only ban). Updates have not been made? Ditto for the UU Monotype where it looks like we can play Landorus and the Deoxys (which seem to me to be top tier in "Monotype OU")

Good luck for the future (to highlight these unknown formats) and I hope that it will also have in future a Monotype RU, see more
Monotype has different bans to OU because it's a very different metagame to OU. While it may seem weird at first glance that the bans are different, once you get to know how the game is played at a high-level, the differences make a lot of sense.
(Someone who plays more mono than me will be happy to explain each one, I'm sure).

With regard to ROM, that's a server run by urkerab for trying out all sorts of weird OMs. What he runs there are basically (in many cases at least) what he things are cool ideas for metas. Mono OMs, on the other hand, are metas we've tried out in room tours and created specific banlists for because certain things have proven to be too good or not overly powerful. If you wanted to ask urkerab to change those metas to the ones we use you can do so, but until then they're just different metagames that happen to use the same name because they're based on the same ideas.

I'm making a mono-Water team for a local VGC league where I'll only be playing against other mono-Water teams. The current team I have planned is:

Pelipper
Ludicolo
Mega Swampert
Tapu Fini
Rotom-W
Greninja

However, since I'll only be playing against other mono-Water teams, Hidden Power Fire on Greninja doesn't seem good, as it will only hit for at best neutral damage (and most of the time it will be NVE). Does Dark Pulse, Gunk Shot (for Fini), Low Kick, and Extrasensory sound good, or should I run some other Hidden Power (or otherwise change the set)?

Thanks!

Moosical

big yikes
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm making a mono-Water team for a local VGC league where I'll only be playing against other mono-Water teams. The current team I have planned is:

Pelipper
Ludicolo
Mega Swampert
Tapu Fini
Rotom-W
Greninja

However, since I'll only be playing against other mono-Water teams, Hidden Power Fire on Greninja doesn't seem good, as it will only hit for at best neutral damage (and most of the time it will be NVE). Does Dark Pulse, Gunk Shot (for Fini), Low Kick, and Extrasensory sound good, or should I run some other Hidden Power (or otherwise change the set)?

Thanks!
Hi! My first question is, since this is a VGC league, can I assume that this will be player in doubles/vgc format or is this singles?

Else, since this is technically monothreat (vs your own type, everyone uses the same type) you can check out our viability ranking for water monothreat here. To answer you question, Greninja would be better off running moves like U-turn, HP Electric, and Grass knot because your opponent will only be using Water type Pokemon.

Hi! My first question is, since this is a VGC league, can I assume that this will be player in doubles/vgc format or is this singles?

Else, since this is technically monothreat (vs your own type, everyone uses the same type) you can check out our viability ranking for water monothreat here. To answer you question, Greninja would be better off running moves like U-turn, HP Electric, and Grass knot because your opponent will only be using Water type Pokemon.
Hi, and good question. It's VGC format, so I know this is a bit of an odd question for here, but I figured this would be a more appropriate place to ask than the VGC forum.

I actually misunderstood how we'll be playing though. At first, as "gym leaders," we'll be playing against challengers' "multitype" (traditional / not monotype) teams, but if they want to "take us over," they have to beat us in a monothreat battle (thanks for teaching me that word).

For the initial battles where I'll be playing against multitype teams, would you recommend a traditional Greninja moveset with HP Fire even though I have Drizzle on my team (I was asked to use rain)?

Also, I was looking at the monotype viability rankings. I noticed that Tapu Fini is C-rank while Gyarados is A-rank. While things are a bit different in VGC, would Gyarados be better than Tapu Fini for Intimidate support (which is more useful in VGC anyway)? Does everything else look good?

Moosical

big yikes
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, and good question. It's VGC format, so I know this is a bit of an odd question for here, but I figured this would be a more appropriate place to ask than the VGC forum.

I actually misunderstood how we'll be playing though. At first, as "gym leaders," we'll be playing against challengers' "multitype" (traditional / not monotype) teams, but if they want to "take us over," they have to beat us in a monothreat battle (thanks for teaching me that word).

For the initial battles where I'll be playing against multitype teams, would you recommend a traditional Greninja moveset with HP Fire even though I have Drizzle on my team (I was asked to use rain)?

Also, I was looking at the monotype viability rankings. I noticed that Tapu Fini is C-rank while Gyarados is A-rank. While things are a bit different in VGC, would Gyarados be better than Tapu Fini for Intimidate support (which is more useful in VGC anyway)? Does everything else look good?
Since this is vgc format (doubles) and this battle isn't entirely monothreat, id advice against using a true monothreat team, since they aren't particularly useful outside of a monothreat battle. In this case, id recommend building a typical monotype doubles team to use in the tournament. Depending on if you're allowed to change teams when you do the battle against your own type, you can choose to customize some sets. As is, both gyarados and tapu fini are useful in doubles formats for different reasons (intimidate vs heal pulse), though if you're running a rain team, going full out offense might be better than both. There is a water type doubles sample team in that same thread (different post, scroll up) if you'd like some ideas. If you end up keeping greninja, I personally wouldn't use hp fire as rain will likely be up for the entire duration of the battle, making hp fire incredibly weak. You could try running an entirely physical moveset of uturn, gunk shot, rock slide, low kick but I think running full on rain offense with a multitude of swift swim pokemon is better. You can send me a pm on here if you'd like to talk about this a bit more, just so we're not clogging up this thread. Good luck!

Hi, I'm new to monotype, and i was just wondering if abomasnow would be better in a ice mono when compared to glalie, since i mainly only use m-glalie for explosion.

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi, I'm new to monotype, and i was just wondering if abomasnow would be better in a ice mono when compared to glalie, since i mainly only use m-glalie for explosion.
Hello, welcome to Smogon!

Unfortunately, Mega Abomasnow's main purpose as a snow setter is quite useless when you have Alolan-Ninetales, who could set up Hail and Aurora Veil all in one. If you had to put either Mega Abomasnow to Mega Glalie, I'd pick Mega Glalie, considering its better speed, Refrigerate, and less weaknesses, but both are still sub-par.

Both of Ice's megas are absolutely terrible. Mega Abomasnow is incredibly slow and has an awful defensive typing. Matchups like Water and Ground are ones that Ice already wins anyway, so it's not like it's especially helpful there. Mega Glalie would be the better of the two, but it's still really bad. While it does have a far better offensive presence than Froslass, being able to force out Heatran and Diggersby to give itself the opportunity to set up Spikes, Froslass offers a Fighting immunity and various amounts of better utility in Taunt and Destiny Bond.

So overall, you're better off just not going with a mega at all

Ice is always seen as a bad type huh. No matter, thanks for the advice.
The problem is Game Freak seem obsessed with making slow bulky Ice types, and they just don't work. Ice is the glass cannon type, yet so many Ice-types are defensively focused. If there were more fast, powerful Ice types it would be a lot better. But alas...

Why is Armaldo considered so good on Mono Bug? It's currently S rank, and I'm having a hard time seeing why ATM.

The problem is Game Freak seem obsessed with making slow bulky Ice types, and they just don't work. Ice is the glass cannon type, yet so many Ice-types are defensively focused. If there were more fast, powerful Ice types it would be a lot better. But alas...

Why is Armaldo considered so good on Mono Bug? It's currently S rank, and I'm having a hard time seeing why ATM.
It fulfils a couple of much needed roles.
First off, its a hazard clearer on a type that needs to keep pinsir and volcarona, among others healthy. Bug has very few options, so that alone give Armaldo a good position. This is compounded by it being able to check fire type that threaten bug teams (It can't really switch in reliably to them, but it can force them out, plus it can set stealth rocks itself, which is a major contributor in making the fire matchup into something other than a click x at team preview. It's also neutral to flying, has some utility in knock off, and alongside pursuit scizor can handle victini, which allows bug to actually win the psychic matchup at times.

Last edited:
Hiya! I wanted to ask if u still do the type usage stats or was it discontinued after ORAS. Please send the link if it's still being collected in USUM.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
There is a viability ranking for the types? Like, wich type is better and wich is worse
there isn't one but you can ask around, the general consensus seems to be that fairy and psychic are the tops and water, normal, dragon and ground are pretty good, other viable types are flying, steel and bug

there isn't one but you can ask around, the general consensus seems to be that fairy and psychic are the tops and water, normal, dragon and ground are pretty good, other viable types are flying, steel and bug
I've been playing for some time with rock monotype and got pretty surprised when I discovered that is the second less used Type. So weird, alola golem almost 1x6 against steel, mega diancie is great against dragon and fighting and cradily is nice against water. Only Match up that is extremly hard for me is grass

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

roman

Banned deucer.
How does someone get involved in the tournaments for this tier? I been playing for a little, but am new to Smogon and don't know how to go about getting myself started.
hello, glad you want to get involved!!

official tournaments listed here go toward the monotype ribbon

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-2018-monotype-tournament-circuit.3624557/

other tours such as mpl and blt can be found here in the monotype subforum, if you turn on notifs for new threads being created here it'll be easier to join them.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hello, I am relatively new to monotype. Can any of you recommend a grass wallbreaker that isn’t swords dance bulu?
Welcome to Monotype! Nasty Plot Celebi or Swords Dance Breloom would probably be your best bet as wallbreakers on Grass.
If you ever need help with teambuilding or general advice you are always welcome to pay the official Monotype chatroom a visit at https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)