Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
Lately the monotype room has been hosting a few gen-6 tournaments in gen7 ubers format, which allows the use of mega stones that are currently unavailable in gen7. However, there are some mechanic differences- Dark types and prankster, the way speed ability changes is handled on megas, and a few other ones that affect a smaller number of users (In my case, gen 6 knock off would activate kee berry's effect, while gen7 knock off removes the item with no activation, this also applies to rocky helmet procs).

Is there any plans to move gen 6 tournies in the mono room to a gen6 format?

I know that doing so in the simulator's current state would cause conflicts with lando-Incarnate, deoxys speed, and other mono approved mons due to the gen6 OU white list. Still, I largely find the mechanic changes to be a more annoying compromise than the inadvertent removal of a few mons.
You can feel the difference between Gen 6 and 7 format by looking at the title of the tier itself. An ORAS Ubers tournament would simply appear as "Ubers Single Elimination" while one in Sun and Moon would appear as "[Gen 7] Ubers Single Elimination."

That reminds me, last time a tour like that (gen6mono) was hosted I wasnt allowed to bring Deoxys-S for some reason. Is that fixed now or?

Hi all, hope this is in the right place, I don't do forums much.

I have a slight conundrum with my mono-grass team. It's performing very well atm (search my username for replays) and has fended off fire, ice, bug, flying, dragon and other big threats to grass; not 100% victory rate, but it puts up a good fight every time. However I really want to add a Tapu Bulu to the team. What should I take out? At the moment Serperior is the main contender for removal. Or should I leave it as-is? Here's the team as it stands;

Ferrothorn @ Occa Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Def / 208 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Swords Dance
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 160 SpA / 100 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Growth
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
Exeggutor-Alola @ Yache Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Dragon Hammer
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick
Serperior @ Wide Lens/Focus Sash
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpA / 248 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Aqua Tail
Tsareena @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Play Rough
- Trop Kick

If Serperior were to go, I'd change Exeggutor to a special attacker. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thx :)

Hi all, hope this is in the right place, I don't do forums much.

I have a slight conundrum with my mono-grass team. It's performing very well atm (search my username for replays) and has fended off fire, ice, bug, flying, dragon and other big threats to grass; not 100% victory rate, but it puts up a good fight every time. However I really want to add a Tapu Bulu to the team. What should I take out? At the moment Serperior is the main contender for removal. Or should I leave it as-is? Here's the team as it stands;

Ferrothorn @ Occa Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Def / 208 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Swords Dance
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 160 SpA / 100 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Growth
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
Exeggutor-Alola @ Yache Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Dragon Hammer
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower
Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick
Serperior @ Wide Lens/Focus Sash
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpA / 248 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Aqua Tail
Tsareena @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Play Rough
- Trop Kick

If Serperior were to go, I'd change Exeggutor to a special attacker. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thx :)
or just go to the mono team bazaar, post your team import with a little description and ask for advices, it's easier than posting on the RMT forums. You can also go to the Monotype PS! room and ask for advices there.

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
I know monotype has a different banlist from ou, so where can I find the full monotype banlist? I've been looking around and I can't find it. If someone could point me there, that would be great, thank you.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know monotype has a different banlist from ou, so where can I find the full monotype banlist? I've been looking around and I can't find it. If someone could point me there, that would be great, thank you.
Check out the Monotype entry on the Smogdex: http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/monotype/
Also, our tiering decisions since the start of Gen 7 are listed in the 2nd post of the discussion thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-metagame-discussion.3587204/#post-7089131

I'm working on a poison team, but I have no idea what to do with mega venu's evs. I'm thinking bold phys def to pair with spdef toxapex, but should I just go max HP/max def? Or is there something worth speed and/or spdef creeping for? Similarly, is spdef toxapex best off with max hp and spdef, or is there a better spread? Thanks in advance.

iLlama

I'm working on a poison team, but I have no idea what to do with mega venu's evs. I'm thinking bold phys def to pair with spdef toxapex, but should I just go max HP/max def? Or is there something worth speed and/or spdef creeping for? Similarly, is spdef toxapex best off with max hp and spdef, or is there a better spread? Thanks in advance.
If you're having trouble deciding on spreads and sets for Pokemon, you can always check out the Monotype Good Cores thread for ideas and examples that you could try out. Otherwise, Mega Venusaur with a minimum of 20 EVs for speed creeping uninvested Base 80s with the rest of the EVs and Nature boosting HP and Def is generally pretty good. Toxapex would probably be better Mixed with a few more EVs and Nature boosting Defense and max HP, that way you can still make great use of something like AV Alolan Muk for handling some more major special threats to Poison.

There is a viability ranking for each type in the OP; a general viability ranking would be rather useless.
I think he meant types as a whole, as in electric as a type being a tier, etc.

Hi, I'm looking for the reasoning on banning Battle Bond in Monotype metagame. Can you help me with a link? Cuz I can't find the thread.

iLlama

Hi, I'm looking for the reasoning on banning Battle Bond in Monotype metagame. Can you help me with a link? Cuz I can't find the thread.
The huge power jump that Ash-Greninja brought to the table was too ridiculous for monotype to handle. With its capability of being a mixed attacker, having an amazing speed tier, and being able to use items over a mega stone, similar to Mega Ray, its simply too powerful to find a place in the metagame.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
What are some of the best types to build around with in mono? A top 5 list would be appreciated.
I'm a little out of practice so take my list with a grain of salt, but I'd say Fairy, Steel, Electric, Water, and either Psychic or Flying are the top 5 (not necessarily in that order).

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
If you were to rank the different types in tiers, what would be where? Ex:
Top tier
High Tier
Mid Tier
Low Tier
Bottom tier.
This list is my opinion but generally more or less of what others I think would respond
Top Tier- Steel, Fairy
High Tier- Ground, Flying, Psychic, Electric, Normal
Mid Tier- Poison, Bug, Dark, Water
Low Tier- Fire, Dragon, Grass
Bottom- Ice, Ghost, Rock, Fighting

Last edited:

Lilymoding

formerly Kyosuru Jets
This list is my opinion but generally more or less of what others I think would respond
Top Tier- Steel, Fairy
High Tier- Ground, Flying, Psychic, Electric, Normal
Mid Tier- Poison, Bug, Dark, Water
Low Tier- Fire, Dragon, Grass
Bottom- Ice, Ghost, Rock, Fighting
I would move Fire to Mid Tier, given xard, drought torkoal, and how anti-meta the type is.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Is marshadow gonna get banned
Marshadow isn't even officially revealed yet, so there's no reason to consider this for quite a while. Assuming the metagame doesn't change too much before it's finally available, it'll probably be allowed at first to see what kind of an impact it has. Once we see what it does, we'll make a decision.

hey! is there any way for fire to consistently beat scarf nihilego without running a shitty/extremely unconventional or situational set? i know nihilego or even scarf is pretty uncommon but it basically straight up 6-0s every fire team i make
Keep your Heatran healthy or run Choice Scarf Infernape.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)