Art Stuffs from a Sunfish

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've gotten back to making fakemon in a sugimori style, which produced these two guys:

Faeffur
This one is based on a mouse and floating strands of cotton, both of which are annoying when caught in your hair.

Sunfoon
This one is my signature fakemon, based on the Ocean Sunfish.
I really love the design of Sunfoon, the colours work really well with each other and the mask design is simple but effective :)

One thing you should try to keep in mind during the design process, though, is not to make your fakemon too simple--I've noticed that your habit of rounding and/or softening edges and contours sometimes makes for less dynamic designs. To be perfectly honest, I think Faeffur is a good example of this, it feels like just a little detail or other is missing from its design (?)

But that's just my opinion. I'm really enjoying your use of vibrant colours and can't wait to see more of your fakemon :)

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I really love the design of Sunfoon, the colours work really well with each other and the mask design is simple but effective :)

One thing you should try to keep in mind during the design process, though, is not to make your fakemon too simple--I've noticed that your habit of rounding and/or softening edges and contours sometimes makes for less dynamic designs. To be perfectly honest, I think Faeffur is a good example of this, it feels like just a little detail or other is missing from its design (?)

But that's just my opinion. I'm really enjoying your use of vibrant colours and can't wait to see more of your fakemon :)
I see what you mean. My problem is that when I add in designs or detail, it seems to ad in unnecesary clutter to it, which is something I haven't been able to do successfully. and thanks!

And with that, another fakemon! I didn't mean to make this guy actually, but another contest required a holiday-themed fakemon, so I shipped this guy up as Faeffur's evolution, based on the chinese concept of "Fu Lu Shou".
Since is sounds neat, the name of this guy is literally "Fulushou"

Sunfished

fisch

Attempted to redesign an old fakemon to make it "cleaner". I think it turned out pretty well, with the addition of feet this time.

It's named "Decorane", a Grass/Flying fakemon that is able to be trimmed a la Furfrou. Nothing else noteworthy, other than it being a bird

Sunfished

fisch
After a long time of not really doing much, here's some more art:

Divermon

Character for my game:

Random Doodle of my horrible friend Callmeshameless

Fakemon Doodle

More Fakemon Doodles:

Names are "Koikoi" and "Gomokoi"
Derived from the term in the boardgame "Hanafuda"
The second one is from Omok and the previous statement. Both surpisingly have "koi" in them, aka the fish

A priesty cat

A lantern eel thingy

"Elfae", a small fairy creature that likes to steal things like socks and create death machines.

They're frogs.

I need a name for this guy :(

Squift and Seanobi

And finally there's this thing I did in a flockdraw:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
>Seanobi

best name. I hope you polish it further, the ones that combine a creature and another feature usually end up as stellar designs.

Sunfished

fisch
more fakeymoney designs

They pretend to be angels, but in reality are carnivorous. They swoop down from high places and impale prey they beckoned towards it.

They dance all night, with the moon as their personal disco ball.

Happy ghouls who will light up any dreary night.

They shoot stuff.

They slug stuff.

Sunfished

fisch

They pretend to be foliage, and then strike out when prey gets near.
They're kind of like fancy lawyers

They drink the ink from books, whose words appear on their white parts.
In the past, they were used as messengers between long distances, but now kids use them to profanities around.

This is a WIP logo of my hypothetical "game". Any feedback appreciated!

Love your fakemon. Are you actually going for a finished product rom hack or is this just a fan-made Pokedex for fun?

Your quill pen bug evolution line is such a creative idea. But all of them are quite fantastic. I'm not sure what your plans are for the art but seeing some more curves and interesting shapes in your mons would make them even cooler looking I think. However if it's going into a game sometimes simpler is better. Just a thought. Love it either way!

Sunfished

fisch
Oh jeez haven't updated in a while ;;

nov
It's indeed for a fangame I wish to make! Also yes, one of my problems is that most of them are a bit too simple, but I'm not too good with making them complex :(
I'll definitely take your advice though, since I do notice that a majority of the ones I posted lean a bit on the simple side. I'll try coming up with some more complex ones!

And so I don't waste a post here's some mons I forgot to post:

They can change their face to match almost anything, but their eye will always be present in their facade somehow

Regional bat. Based on torches

Here's another fakemon a friend designed, which I made fanart of.
Its name is Bickoree

Goofed around with a chibi style with an oc I had
She's like a frog

Got more into spriting. Since editing sprites was boring to me, I got down making avatars with custom poses I made! They my babies ;w;

(If there's any avatars from anime/manga you want to see, feel free to shoot a post!)

Also, got down a "standing animation" of a fighting game a few friends and I are making!

Based on my character,"The Sungod", who fights by summoning rpg classes to attack for him.
Your Fakemon's design's are really good.And i really like the variety of names you give to you're Fakemon's,i especially like Jokai and Fricety,it feels their individuality is a standout from others.
Fricety really looks different from others being a lazy fellow dozing in his own world.
And i really like Jokai's design and description and he also stands out in his own way.
Also can you do a avatar of Aizen Sosuke from Bleach?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)