Ariados (NU Analysis)

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
[Overview]
- Actual bulk unlike similar Pokemon such as Beedrill, but actual boosts to pass, unlike venomoth.
- Insomnia and a 4x Grass resistance actually let it check Sunnybeamers somewhat effectively.
- Can run Agility+Baton Pass

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Agility
move 3: Sludge Bomb
move 4: Substitute / Endure
item: Leichi Berry / Salac Berry
ability: Insomnia
nature: Careful
evs: 252 Atk / 64 Def / 146 SpD / 56 Spe or 252 Atk / 200 SpD / 56 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
- Baton pass+Agility to support the team
- Sludge Bomb to annihilate Tangela if it HP Fire's you.
- Leichi berry to actually beat Tangela, Salac Berry to make sure you're outspeeding the whole meta after a Salac Boost and Agility.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
- Outspeeds Adamant Arbok after an Agility.
- +1 Ariados Sludge Bomb vs. Tangela: 306-360 (95.6 - 112.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
Calcs with Former Spread:
Choice Band Hitmonchan Hidden Power Ghost vs. Ariados: 133-157 (47.3 - 55.8%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO
Tangela Hidden Power Fire vs. Ariados in Sun: 238-280 (84.6 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Latter Spread:
Tangela Hidden Power Fire vs. Ariados in Sun: 219-258 (77.9 - 91.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
Tangela Hidden Power Fire vs. Ariados in Sun: 238-280 (84.6 - 99.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

- Ultimately any spread varies in physical to special defensiveness, neither is going to be perfectly satisfactory, so pick your poison.

[Other Options]
- Spider Web pass, but its Speed and Bulk is inferior even in this metagame to be able to do it.

[Checks and Counters]
- Bug, Poison, Steel, Rock, Ground, and Ghost all handle its most common attacks pretty handily. Not running something it can set up on is helpful. Phazers such as Golbat and Flareon totally nullify it.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
spider web needs to be slashed next to agility, being able to trappass anything is golden in this meta, particularly if you want to get rid of something like flareon/swalot without having to resort to diglett.

also being able to tank tangela's hp fire in the sun is such an obscure calc to aim to survive... i don't quite understand the reason why that's a benchmark at all, especially considering that tangela probably shouldn't be out mid-game and if it is it's defensive. you'd think you'd rather aim for something like defensive chime's psychic or haunter's hp fire or something

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
I think I'm gonna drop it it's a bit of a confusing mon to me and i'm not sure really quite what to do with it. Please move it to locked/outdated analyses; feel free to put up your own I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)