Monotype An Icy Winter

Scholar

Shinjiro's babe
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
An Icy Winter

Introduction
Hey guys, I am here today to show off one of my favorite types ice! This is one of my favorite teams to play, but it is the bottom tier type which requires a lot of aggressive plays and predictions to win with. Ice was the first type I played when I got into monotype, and still has my heart today.

The Team

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Sandslash-Alola is one of the pokemon that ice got in Gen 7. Slush Rush increases Sandslash-Alola to double speed in hail that gets set up by Ninetales-Alola. The main drawback to this mon is that it gets outspeed by common scarf mons such as Terrakion, Latios, and Greninja even under hail. I decided to go for an SD lo set for power and for it to fit a sweeper role.

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore
One of the staples to any mono ice team. This is one of the best mons that ice got in Gen 7 since Aurora Veil halfs the damage of attacks for 8 turns. The thing to look out for is if the oppernent can change the weather since Aurora Veil does not get set up in anything but hail. Hail is also nice for chipping a mon. Freeze dry hits water mons super effective which can help get rid of things like Swampert-mega, Pelipper and other water mons. Encore is for trapping set up mons or trapping a wall into recover/ leech seed, which forces them to switch out.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 20 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power
One of my favorite sets. I opted for some hp evs to make it a bit more bulky but still outspeed heatran and kill it with Earth Power. Hidden Power Fire helps ease the steel mu a little and ohko forretress since Teravolt ignores the sturdy. Ice beam also helps with Venusaur-Mega which can wall the team itself.

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
I decided since the Kyurem-B was gonna be LO, I went for Choice Scarf Mamoswine for some speed control. Superpower ohkos Mega Lopunny which is a big threat for ice and also helps in the dark mu. Rock slide helps with threats such as Charizard-Y, and Volcarona.

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
The defensive wall of the team. I added the item Rocky Helmet to get some damage off a switch in when threats such as excadrill, and Bisharp comes in. Roar is to help get rid of a set up Scizor-mega and other set up sweeper. Recover helps get more chip damage and keeps Avalugg around longer. Rapid Spin is to get rid of hazards.

Lapras @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Freeze-Dry
Last but not least is Lapras. This is a check to Scizor-Mega as it does live a x2 bullet punch and can fire back with Hidden Power Fire. Lapras also aids in the water mu with water absorb which recovers its HP if hit by a water move. Freeze-Dry is also very helpful to hit water mons. It also is an Azumarill check as it outspeeds Azumarill and can't hit Lapras back with Aqua Jet.
Other Good Sets

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Toxic
Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Endeavor
- Ice Shard

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power/Iron Head
- Outrage

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Superpower
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

Shout outs
I like to thank Lotus Wincon for teaching me Monotype and helping me becoming the player I am today.
Harpp For the support.
Bitana For helping me with my predictions and plays.
Last but not least my league Rebellion, really could not get this far without you guys <3

Importable

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 20 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Lapras @ Choice Specs
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Freeze-Dry

Last edited:
Hi! first of all, I'd like to say its really nice to see another ice player other than smub (who is a meme anyways). your team is a pretty standard balance, though i have a few nitpicks here and there.

I notice your team currently lacks a z move user, so I'd recommend Groundium Z over Life Orb on Alolan Sandslash. Life Orb is nice if you're running rapid spin on it over Avalugg because it deals more consistent damage, but since you are using as a set up sweeper, using a z move allows it to blow back its checks and counters.

About the Kyurem-B set, 20 HP Evs dont really help it survive any specific attacks, so I'd suggest putting them into speed along with a Naive Nature. Ice really needs to outspeed stuff like Xuriktree, Rotom-W, servine and Lando-T to name a few.

Since Alolan Sandslash is already your speed control under hail, Scarf Mamo seems really unnecessary to me. Your team also lacks a Stealth Rock setter, so I would go with Piloswine over Mamoswine, which doesn't hit nearly as hard, but takes attacks much, much better. This would help tremendously against otherwise unfavorable match ups like fire. The set should look something like this:

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Ice Shard

And last but not least, Lapras doesn't really hit any important benchmarks when running max speed EVs. A spread of 80 HP / 252 HP / 176 Spe allows it to outrun Adamant Azumarill while still adding to Lapras' bulk.

Hope you like these changes!

Last edited:
This Ice team definitely looks really cool, but I'll address some things in tyrantytar's post

Alolan Sandslash shouldn't be running Groundium Z even on SD sets. The things it targets aren't as important as Icium Z being able to target Skarmory, Celesteela, and Ferrothorn:

+2 252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 72 Def Ferrothorn: 325-384 (92.3 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 423-498 (106.2 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 247-292 (75.5 - 89.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Even with this, Life Orb is still a good item option even on Swords Dance sets. Ice teams don't necessarily need a Z-crystal user unless Cloyster is on the team anyway, who basically HAS to run a Z-crystal.

I do agree that the Kyurem Black spread should be changed to this spread in particular:

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost / Hidden Power Fire
- Ice Beam

The Speed is just enough to put it above Jolly Krookodile. It also lets you outspeed Vincune, which can be a serious nuisance if you don't play around it correctly.

I also agree that Scarf Mamoswine is unnecessary when you already have Alolan Sandslash for speed control. Also, Ice absolutely 100% needs a Stealth Rocker, so the Mamoswine would be better off as a lead set:

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Endeavor
- Stealth Rock

Piloswine can also kinda work if you want a bulkier Stealth Rocker that can switch into Fire-type attacks more actively, so if you consider that, here's the best set for it:

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Lastly, I do agree that the set needs more bulk, and while the 80 HP / 252 HP / 176 Spe spread is nice for outspeeding Azumarill, having extra bulk is also handy, which is why I also think 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe is an optimal spread, putting it just above uninvested base 70's like Skarmory and Mantine. Mega Scizor pretty much always runs Speed, so Lapras can't really speed creep it, and Azumarill can also be checked by Kyurem-Black if necessary.

I'd also consider Roost over Hidden Power Fire on Kyurem-Black in order to have a more sustained presence against balance types like Water and Poison, but that's optional. Another thing to consider is Avalanche > Earthquake on Avalugg so that it can actually beat Breloom.

Here's the team after the suggested changes, I hope they helped!

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb / Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Roost
- Earth Power

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Endeavor
- Stealth Rock

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Earthquake / Avalanche
- Roar
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Lapras @ Choice Specs
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe or 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Freeze-Dry

Last edited:

Scholar

Shinjiro's babe
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This Ice team definitely looks really cool, but I'll adress some things in tyrantytar's post

Alolan Sandslash shouldn't be running Groundium Z even on SD sets. The things it targets aren't as important as Icium Z being able to target Skarmory, Celesteela, and Ferrothorn:

+2 252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 72 Def Ferrothorn: 325-384 (92.3 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 423-498 (106.2 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Subzero Slammer (160 BP) vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 247-292 (75.5 - 89.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Even with this, Life Orb is still a good item option even on Swords Dance sets. Ice teams don't necessarily need a Z-crystal user unless Cloyster is on the team anyway, who basically HAS to run a Z-crystal.

I do agree that the Kyurem Black spread should be changed to this spread in particular:

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost / Hidden Power Fire
- Ice Beam

The Speed is just enough to put it above Jolly Krookodile. It also lets you outspeed Vincune, which can be a serious nuisance if you don't play around it correctly.

I also agree that Scarf Mamoswine is unnecessary when you already have Alolan Sandslash for speed control. Also, Ice absolutely 100% needs a Stealth Rocker, so the Mamoswine would be better off as a lead set:

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Endeavor
- Stealth Rock

Piloswine can also kinda work if you want a bulkier Stealth Rocker that can switch into Fire-type attacks more actively, so if you consider that, here's the best set for it:

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Lastly, I do agree that the set needs more bulk, and while the 80 HP / 252 HP / 176 Spe spread is nice for outspeeding Azumarill, having extra bulk is also handy, which is why I also think 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe is an optimal spread, putting it just above uninvested base 70's like Skarmory and Mantine. Mega Scizor pretty much always runs Speed, so Lapras can't really speed creep it, and Azumarill can also be checked by Kyurem-Black if necessary.

I'd also consider Roost over Hidden Power Fire on Kyurem-Black in order to have a more sustained presence against balance types like Water and Poison, but that's optional. Another thing to consider is Avalanche > Earthquake on Avalugg so that it can actually beat Breloom.

Here's the team after the suggested changes, I hope they helped!

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb / Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Roost
- Earth Power

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Endeavor
- Stealth Rock

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Earthquake / Avalanche
- Roar
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Lapras @ Choice Specs
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe or 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Freeze-Dry
Thanks for this, I ment to change lapras but it slipped my mind. I usually use the first ev spread, but that second one seems pretty cool. I will definitely try out the revised team when i get the chance to. I myself tend to change avalugg between avalanche and earthquake because of the different things it hits. Thanks for the critiquing my team. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)