LC Aipom

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem

*Taken over from athleteandy1 with permission of Goddess Briyella

Overview
########

Being a Normal-type in a metagame with a lot of threatening Fighting-type Pokemon might make Aipom look underwhelming, but it is much better than most people think. Aipom occupies the coveted 19 Speed Tier, allowing it to outspeed most of the metagame, and Skill Link Furry Swipes 2HKOes most neutral threats even without Life Orb. Additionally, it has a superb movepool, with coverage attacks such as Brick Break and the elemental punches, utility moves such as U-turn and Knock Off, and support options such as Taunt, Knock Off, and even Baton Pass that make it a solid anti-lead. Aipom also has enough bulk with Eviolite to survive strong hits such as offensive Mienfoo's Drain Punch with Eviolite.
However, Aipom does have its flaws; its Normal typing gives it zero resistances, a sole Ghost immunity, and a nasty Fighting-type weakness that leaves it vulnerable to top threats such as Timburr and Scraggy. Lack of reliable priority also makes it hard for Aipom to safely revenge kill some Pokemon.

Skill Link
########
name: Skill Link
move 1: Fury Swipes
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Brick Break / U-turn
move 4: Taunt / Fake Out / Ice Punch
ability: Skill Link
item: Eviolite / Life Orb
evs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spe
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Moves
========
Fury Swipes is Aipom's strongest STAB move, as it's able to 2HKO the most part of the metagame. Knock Off is Aipom's best way to hit Misdreavus and Gastly; it also removes Eviolite from walls that switch in so Aipom can break through them easier with Fury Swipes. Brick Break deals heavy damage to Steel- and Rock-types, such as Pawniard. U-turn allows Aipom to act as a pivot. Taunt allows Aipom to be an effective lead, preventing hazards from Dwebble; it also prevents any Pokemon from setting up. Fake Out is a solid +3 priority and Fake Out + Fury Swipes does a lot of damage to most threats. Ice Punch is also a good option to hit defensive Archen.

Set Details
========

The EV spread gives Aipom maximum Attack and Speed, with the remaining EVs going in HP for a bit of extra bulk. With a Jolly nature, Aipom hits the 19 Speed tier. Adamant can be used if you need more power and don't mind Aipom missing out on the 19 Speed tier. For instance, Adamant Life Orb Aipom can 2HKO Spritzee without needing to Knock Off its Eviolite first. Eviolite is the main item on this set because of Aipom's decent bulk, while Life Orb can be used for increasing Aipom's damage output.

Usage Tips
========

Aipom should spam Knock Off to guarantee Fury Swipes will always do the most damage possible and to support the team. With access to both U-turn and Taunt, it can be used as a part of a VoltTurn core. Use Aipom early- or mid-game so it can do as much damage as possible to the opposing team. Do not switch into Misdreavus unless you are pretty sure it isn't using Will-O-Wisp; Aipom definitely doesn't want to get burned. If your opponent is using Ponyta or Larvesta, exercise care; they are very solid counters to Aipom as each hit from Fury Swipes has a 30% chance to give Aipom a burn, assuming Ponyta and Larvesta are running Flame Body.

Team Options
========

Spritzee is Aipom's best partner, as it easily KOes Fighting-type Pokemon, can pass Wish, and heal status. Timburr is a good status absorber and KOes some of Aipom's Rock- and Steel-type counters. Fletchling is another good teammate; it is also able to able to deal with most Fighting-type Pokemon and has access to U-turn. Misdreavus is another good partner that can absorb Fighting-type attacks and burn powerful physical attackers so Aipom can switch in easily. Entry hazard setters such as Archen and Drilbur are appreciated as well. Aipom works well with another teammates that can maintain offensive momentum, so Pokemon with access to U-turn or Volt Swich, such as Mienfoo, Archen, and Chinchou are good partners. Slower U-turn users such as Vullaby are even better, as they can get Aipom in safety. Finally, Shell Smash sweepers need to get Misdreavus out of the way that Aipom can clean up late-game.

Other Options
########
With access to a huge movepool, Aipom has a lot of options. A set with Fake Out and Last Resort is funny and powerful but walled by too many Pokemon. Aipom is one of the few Pokemon that can Baton Pass Nasty Plot, but there are better passers. Double Slap is good if you want a bit more accuracy, but it is weaker than Fury Swipes. Another item Aipom could use is King Rock to have a 41% chance of flinching with Fury Swipes, but it is too luck-based. Gunk Shot is a good option to KO Spritzee. Hone Claws is interesting, but hard to set up. Thunder Wave is a good support option. Aipom learns Seed Bomb so it can KO Tirtouga. Finally, Aipom also learns both Sunny Day and Rain Dance, but there are better weather setters.

**Checks & Counters**
########
**Fighting-types**: Timburr, Scraggy, and Mienfoo are bulky enough to survive hits from Aipom and KO it. Scraggy can set up Dragon Dance, Timburr can set up Bulk Up, and Choice Scarf Mienfoo checks and KOes Aipom.

**Status**: Burn inducers such as Chinchou and Misdreavus can cripple Aipom. Also, Aipom fears Flame Body users such as Ponyta and Larvesta because its main STAB, Fury Swipes, is a multi-hit move, so each hit has a 30% chance to burn Aipom.

**Rock-types**: Onix, Tirtouga, Dweeble, and Archen easily wall most Aipom's attacks and do solid damage to it. Dwebble and Archen are even neutral to Brick Break, so they are very solid Aipom counters.

**Steel-types**: While Aipom will always win against Berry Juice Magnemite, it is checked by Choice Scarf Magnemite. Thunderbolt is a guaranteed 2HKO and Aipom can't OHKO it with any move. Ferroseed is very annoying; if it switches in on Aipom's Fury Swipes, Iron Barbs will do a lot of damage to Aipom.

Last edited:

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
I removed every mention about Meditite and Murkrow, add another thing to oo section and removed Slowpoke in cc section. Slowpoke is 2HKOed by Aipom's Knock Off after stealth rock (with Life Orb) and Scald or Psychic doesn't do any worth damage in Aipom. Its much better using Scald than Thunder Wave but you will deppend on luck anyway so it's not a reliable counter or check. I don't think I will change the main set this is basically the best thing Aipom could run anyway...
EDIT: Actually, if Aipom's team haven't set up Stealth Rock yet (because Aipom would be the lead) then slowpoke could be at less a check. I dunno, I need someone else opinion...

Last edited:

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I dunno, I need someone else opinion...
196 Atk Aipom Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 196 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Slowpoke: 10-14 (35.7 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
While Aipom's Knock Off does not in and of itself deal that much damage to Slowpoke, it does it's job. A super-effective Knock Off followed by a super-effective U-Turn into some other Pokemon, maybe even a Pawniard or Carvanha(Something Dark-type that is immune to Psychic, maybe), and then finish off Slowpoke. I'd say that Slowpoke isn't that threatening to Aipom, considering this and the fact that nobody really uses it anymore, since Meditite is gone.

Checks and Counters should be formatted like this:
**Check or Counter**: Explanation of why this Pokemon, move, item, or whatever is a check or a counter

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm torn over whether or not Fake Out should be first slash over Low Sweep. On one hand, Fake Out + Return hits really hard, and that in particular is what makes me think of Aipom as a threat. On the other, having an actual way to damage Rock- and Steel-types, especially Pawniard, is very important. I'm going to say to keep it as is, seeing as how none of the other QC members seem to have wanted to swap them. That said, please stress the damage potential of Fake Out + Return. For example, that combination will knock out Croagunk from full health 100% of the time, without Stealth Rock.

Other than that, this is good.

QC 3/3

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
I was doing some calcs and I found out this: 196 Atk Aipom Fury Swipes (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 15-20 (71.4 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO while 196 Atk Aipom Return vs. 0 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 7-10 (33.3 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO. Yeah this is Aipom without Life Orb. While everyone agrees that Mienfoo is bulky, Aipom has more bulk than it; 55/55/55 defenses isn't nothing to laugh of. So, I think Eviolite is an item Aipom could use. Just see Mienfoo Drain Punch against it: 0 Atk Mienfoo Drain Punch vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Aipom: 14-20 (60.8 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Another powerful attacks in the lc meta: 236 Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Aipom: 10-13 (43.4 - 56.5%) -- 59.4% chance to 2HKO, 196+ Atk Timburr Drain Punch vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Aipom: 18-24 (78.2 - 104.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO, 236+ Atk Mienfoo Drain Punch vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Aipom: 18-24 (78.2 - 104.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, 196+ Atk Life Orb Carvanha Waterfall vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Aipom: 12-16 (52.1 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. While this doesn't mean Aipom can switch in any of these moves, I wanted to show that Aipom is bulky enough to survive even some strong SE moves with Eviolite. Some say that Fury Swipes is weaker than Return because of this: 196 Atk Aipom Fury Swipes (5 hits) vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 5-15 (18.5 - 55.5%) -- approx. 0.4% chance to 2HKO while 196 Atk Aipom Return vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 7-10 (25.9 - 37%) -- 82.5% chance to 3HKO. However, Spritzee Moonblast only does enough to 3HKO Eviolite Aipom. So Aipom can Knock Off the opposing Spritzee Eviolite and Aipom is going to do 15 damage with Fury Swipes. Return won't do the same damage unless you get the max roll. Spritzee wish only heals 13 hp so Spritzee is only suiciding itself against Eviolite Aipom.
However, Life Orb is still a very good option. Instead of the usual 15 damage you do with Evio you gets a huge bonus; you will always do 20 damage to most Pokemon which doesn't resist. And there is also a good chance you get the max roll of damage in a hit which is 4 while using Evio and 5 while using Life Orb. However, against some walls like Porygon and Spritzee you will always have to Knock Off the Eviolite if you want to max Aipom's damage.
And there are a some advantages using Fury Swipes over Return. Obviously, you can break Focus Sash, Substitute, and Sturdy (most Sturdy users are resistant tho.). You have an 1/16 chance to get at least a max roll and the same chance to get at least a crit.
Also, here is a list with the damage change when you use Adamant over Jolly: http://pastebin.com/RGeddPBF.
I think adamant should be considered as an option. As seen in the list, Fury Swipes becomes even more stronger; especially with Life Orb. While speed tie with Misdreavus is very important, with 19 speed you only get speed ties; Abra, Tailow, Misdreavus, Staryu, and Ponyta. The only things you outspeed with 19 speed are Gastly and Doduo which usually care Choice Scarf.
Thanks for reading so far. So, before turning the text into paragraphs, I would like to know if the QC team agrees with slashing Adamant, Eviolite, and Fury Swipes in the main set.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yo in light of recent discovery by pro damage calcer Artemis Fowl, I'm agreeing: get rid of Return completely and change to Fury Swipes. (with skill link too ofc.)
agreeing with Adamant slash as well, but mention on losing out on ties and having to tie with gastly and doduo (who don't run scarf most often btw).

Eviolite slash go for it as well, but i'd recommend LO first since that pretty much always does 5 more damage than evio.

put return and double Slap in OO

Main set should be Fury Swipes / Brick Break / Knock Off + 4th move imo.
However i pref Eviolite over Life Orb. Is this the right place to discuss it though ? I don't know Smogon :v

Edit : Life Orb will only "always do 5 damages more" when it's Adamant Aipom. False on Jolly ones.

Lord Alphose

However i pref Eviolite over Life Orb. Is this the right place to discuss it though ? I don't know Smogon :v
This is the right place.

What does Eviolite help Aipom live through? I feel like it just gets OHKOed by most things anyways. Then against, I know little about Aipom.

Whaaaaat. Aipom being considered as a frail thing using fake out, trying to OHKO, U-turn to run away with his appearence etc is so engraved in people minds that nearly everyone is unable to see Aipom's bulk. Just LOOK THE NUMBERS : 55/55/55 ! It is 22 hp / 12 def / 12 sdef without any investment ! Considering this little ? Mienfoo has 21 hp / 11 def / 11 sdef ...
Aipom with eviolite tanks everything, it even tanks max attack adamant mienfoo dpunch without any investment !
236+ Atk Mienfoo Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Aipom: 18-24 (81.8 - 109%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
236 SpA Misdreavus Dazzling Gleam vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Aipom: 6-8 (26 - 34.7%) -- 0.9% chance to 3HKO
236+ Atk Pawniard Iron Head vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Aipom: 9-12 (39.1 - 52.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

Aipom just gets on the field, gets attacked, lose like 40-50% for most strong attacks, and OHKO/2HKO back, this with 19 or 18 speed.

Eviolite adamant aipom nearly wins the 1v1 with mienfoo without fake outs, isn't that shocking ?

Aipom knock offs
Mienfoo dpunches -> Mienfoo full hp (21) without eviolite, aipom has 3-4 hp
Aipom Fury swipes -> 47% to OHKO.

I just want to say to the world that AIPOM IS NOT MEOWTH NOR MINCCINO. It's a fighter, it takes hits, it hits hard, and its damage dealt / damage taken ratio is incredible.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Because of Skill Link Fury Swipes which is the main way to Aipom do damage. 30% chance of burning for each hit is just too much. However, I will add status and make a mention about flame body.
EDIT: Thinking about it Ponyta / Larvesta is a very solid switch in Aipom. I probably should add that in usage tips.

Last edited:
Btw, the best partner for Aipom is Spritzee.
Aipom only fears 2 things : tanky fighters, and status.
Sprizee covers both, in addition to being able to wishpass effectively to Aipom.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fury Swipes is also a very good way to deal with Sticky Web teams as Aipom is faster than any of them. expand on what you mean by this? you mean it beats spinarak and surskit right?

Taunt allows Aipom to be an effective lead, preventing hazards from Archen and Tirtouga - i'd mention dwebble since it's a more common lead

Adamant can be used with any of the items but, with Life Orb, Fury Swipes is guaranteed to always do more 5 damage - i don't get what this means can you please phrase it better

Use it late-game or to revenge kill something. - woah, what aipom is like a wallbreaker with fury swipes and knock off. definitely get it in early-mid game to do as much damage as possible

remove normal gem+covet from OO, since meowth basically does this better

why aren't rock and steel types in checks and counters - add them, stuff like onix and tirtouga and magnemite can all trouble aipom

edit this and i'll check back to give you another qc

Btw,(Edit : why do all my posts start by btw ?) a very good partner for Aipom is a special Shell Smasher. Actually it's rather Aipom being a good partner for Shell Smasher. Special shell smashers need misdreavus knocked down because they usually do 70-90% to hit (90% being if you're using hydro pump over surf) Thus, in order not to get murdered in the middle of their sweep, mons such as omanyte very much the fact aipom tends to have burn vs knock off trades with missy.
It is also true for Timburr which will have to show up to deal with Aipom, and might issue serious scars doing so.

EDIT :
Here are the probabilities of Aipom doing n (super roll or crit)s :
0: 52.4460475049%
1: 34.9640316699%
2: 10.489209501%
3: 1.86474835573%
4: 0.217553974835%
5: 0.0174043179868%
6: 0.000966906554822%
7: 3.68345354218e-05%
8: 9.20863385545e-07%
9: 1.36424205266e-08%
10: 9.09494701773e-11%

as you can see it's p huge

It means that Aipom has 47.5% to do at least 22 damages when supposed to do 20 and around 12% to do at least 24 damages

Last edited:

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Ok, I will add that about Omanyte. I'll also add Timburr as a partner as it is a status absorber and KOes some of Aipom's counters.

Lord Alphose

Remove
Add
Comment

Overview
########

Aipom is a very underrated and cute monkey. At a first glance, itAipom doesn't look that good,(AC) being a Normal-type Pokemon in a metagame with a lot of threatening Fighting-type Pokemon. However, a more meticulous look at Aipom shows that it is much better than most people think about it. Aipom has a very rare Speed tier, allowing it to outspeed most of the metagame.(What Speed tier is that?) It was gifted with a huge bonus in Skill Link + Fury Swipes, allowing it to 2HKO a good part of the metagame even without Life Orb. Aipom has got all coverage it needs,(AC) including Brick Break and the elemental punches. It has access to Knock Off so it can both KO Ghost-type Pokemon and support the team. Aipom is a very solid anti-lead with access to a good support movepool including Taunt, Knock Off,(AC) and even Baton Pass. Aipom can also pivot for your team with U-turn. Aipom has enough bulk with Eviolite to survive strong hits such as offensive Mienfoo's Drain Punch.(I think you're saying that with Eviolite, it can survive, but I'm not sure. Who's got the Eviolite?) Overall, Aipom can perform a lot of roles for your team such as: a good late-game cleaner, an effective anti-lead and,(AC) or a powerful attacker.
However, Aipom does have its flaws. Aipom's typing is terrible:; it doesn't have any resistances bar an immunity to Ghost-type moves and a weakness to Fighting-type moves.(A weakness to Fighting-type moves is not a resistance, as this wording suggests.) There are a lot of powerful and common threats such as Timburr and Scraggy whichthat easily take care of Aipom. Lack of reliable priority makes it hard for Aipom to safely revenge kill some Pokemon with safety. However, Aipom shouldn't be underestimated and it is a very solid option for a teammate.

Skill Link
########
name: Skill Link
move 1: Fury Swipes
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: Brick Break / U-turn
move 4: Taunt / Fake Out / Ice Punch
ability: Skill Link
item: Eviolite / Life Orb
evs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spe
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Moves
========
Fury Swipes is Aipom's strongest STAB in this set,(AC) ands it's able to 2HKO the most part of the metagame. Fury Swipes is also a very good way to deal with Sticky Web leads as Aipom is faster than any of them.(I play LC and I don't know what that means.) Knock Off is Aipom's best way to hit Misdreavus and Gastly and it hits hard. Also, it's very important youto Knock Off Eviolites from strong walls so Fury Swipes maycan hit as hard as possible. Brick Break is your best move against Steel- and Rock-types,(AC) such as Pawniard. U-turn allows Aipom to act as a pivot. Taunt allows Aipom to be an effective lead, preventing hazards from Dwebble. It also prevents any Shell Smash user toPokemon from setting up.(Stops them all, doesn't it?) Fake Out is a solid +3 priority and Fake Out + Fury Swipes does a lot of damage to most threats. Ice Punch is a good coverage move basically to hit defensive Archen.

Set Details
========

These EVs give Aipom maximum Attack and Speed. The remaining EVs goes in HP for a bit of extra bulk. With a Jolly nature, Aipom hits the fastest Speed tier. Adamant is an option if you don't mind about the speed tieying with Misdreavus orand Abra and want a bit more power instead. For instance, against Spritzee, using Adamant Aipom with Life Orb, you wouldn't need to Knock Off Spritzee's Eviolite to 2HKO it. Fury Swipes Eviolite is the main item on this set because of Aipom's decent bulk, while Life Orb can be used for increasing Aipom's attack's(apostrophe) power.

Usage Tips
========

Spam Knock Off to guarantee Fury Swipes will always do the most damage possible and to support the team. With Eviolite, Aipom can switch in some moves,(AC) but bedon't switch in on something entirely crippling.(If you don't like how I worded that, change it. Something needs to be added, though, imo.) With access to both U-turn and Taunt,(AC) Aipom can be used as a part of a VoltTurn combo. Use Aipom early-game or mid-game so it can do as much damage as possible to the opposing team. Do not switch in Misdreavus unless you are pretty sure it isn't using Will-O-Wisp; Aipom definitely doesn't want to get burned. If your opponent is using Ponyta or Larvesta,(AC) exercise care; they are a very solid counter to Aipom as each hit from Fury Swipes has a 30% chance to give Aipom a burn, assuming Ponyta and Larvesta is running Flame Body.

Team Options
========

Spritzee is Aipom's best partner. It easily KOes Fighting-type Pokemon, can pass Wish,(AC) and heal status. Timburr is a good status absorber and KOes some of Aipom's Rock-type counters.(Again, if you don't like that change, it's not a have-to kinda deal.) Fletchling is another good teammate. It is also able to able to deal with most Fighting-type Pokemon and has access to U-turn. Misdreavus is another good partner that can absorb Fighting-type attacks and burn powerful attackers so Aipom can switch in easily. HEntry hazard setters such as Archen and Drilbur are appreciated as well. Aipom works well with another teammates that can maintain offensive momentum, so Pokemon with access to U-turn or Volt Swich such as Mienfoo, Archen,(AC) and Chinchou are good partners. Slower U-turn users such as Vullaby are even better. Finally, Shell Smash sweepers need to get Misdreavus out of the way so they won't be stopped in the middle of the sweep.

Other Options
########
With access to a huge movepool, Aipom has a lot of options. A set with Fake Out and Last Resort is funny and powerful but it's walled by too many Pokemon. Aipom is one of the few Pokemon which can Baton Pass Nasty Plot, but there are better passers. Double Slap is good if you want a bit more accuracy,(AC) but sometimes Double Slap will hit weaker than Fury Swipes. Another item Aipom could use is King Rock, but it is too luck-based. Gunk Shot is a good option to KO Spritzee. Hone Claws is interesting, but hard to set up. Thunder Wave is a good support option. Aipom knows Seed Bomb so it can KO Tirtouga. Finally, Aipom learns both Sunny Day and Rain Dance, but there are better weather setters.

**Checks & Counters**
########
**Fighting-types**: Timburr, Scraggy, and Mienfoo. They are bulky enough to survive hits from Aipom and KO it. Scraggy can set up Dragon Dance, Timburr can set up Bulk Up, and Choice Scarf Mienfoo checks it with High Jump Kick.(Is this an OHKO? If it is, just say that instead.)

**Status**: Burn wounds Aipom badly, so it should avoid the likes of Misdreavus and Chinchou. Also, Aipom fears Flame Body because its main STAB, Fury Swipes, is a multi-hit move, so each hit has a 30% chance to burn Aipom. Aipom should beware from Ponyta and Larvesta; Aipomhitting them because usingwith Fury Swipes is too risky.

**Rock-types**: Onix, Tirtouga, Dweeble , and Archen. They easily wall most of Aipom's attacks and do solid damage to it. Dweeble and Archen are even neutral to Brick Break,(AC) so they are very solid Aipom counters.

**Steel-types**: While Aipom will always win against Berry Juice Magnemite, Choice Scarf Magnemite checks Aipom. Thunderbolt is a guaranteed 2HKO and Aipom can't OHKO it with any move. Ferroseed is a counter very annoying; if it switches in on Aipom's Fury Swipes, Iron Barbs will do a lot of damage to Aipom.

SuperJOCKE, you asked for this, if you could stamp it for the man, that would be lovely.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)