Aegislash

If you look in the skeleton you'll see Swords Dance originally had it's own set, however because of a.) How hard it is to set up in VGC effectively, and b.) how common it is to double target Aegislash to prevent a Substitute or potentially severely dent or straight up OHKO something it proved to situational or hard to do to merit its own set.

If you would like a wider discussion on Aegislash you could start on here, as there isn't one to my knowledge.

4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def would by no means be the optimal spread for a Swords Dance Aegislash. 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD would be a start however you would probably want to run more bulk than that as to not get 2HKOed by certain moves.

http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/making-good-ev-spreads/ <=== is a great resource if you want to improve your EV spreads the speed creep section is a little of date, but I'll include a link to the new speed tiers below.

http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/vgc-14-pokemon-speed-tiers/

:D

Last edited:
If you look in the skeleton you'll see Swords Dance originally had it's own set, however because of a.) How hard it is to set up in VGC effectively, and b.) how common it is to double target Aegislash to prevent a Substitute or potentially severely dent or straight up OHKO something it proved to situational or hard to do to merit its own set.

If you would like a wider discussion on Aegislash you could start on here, as there isn't one to my knowledge.

4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def would by no means be the optimal spread for a Swords Dance Aegislash. 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD would be a start however you would probably want to run more bulk than that as to not get 2HKOed by certain moves.

http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/making-good-ev-spreads/ <=== is a great resource if you want to improve your EV spreads the speed creep section is a little of date, but I'll include a link to the new speed tiers below.

http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/vgc-14-pokemon-speed-tiers/

:D
This is extremely helpful. Thank you for this. I still need to learn a lot.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know its done and all, but maybe on the mixed set you could also slash Sacred Sword along side Flash Cannon as I feel that the coverage of it is just as important as Flash Cannon's STAB (although Sacred Sword should be slashed second) and I feel that Aegislash really needs the prioroty if it is not going full-on special.
Also a knitpick, you forgot to mention 0 speed IVs on the special set, or is that one not running 0 speed due to sub? (i saw the mixed set had 0 speed so i assumed that one would be the same; correct me if i am wrong)

I know its done and all, but maybe on the mixed set you could also slash Sacred Sword along side Flash Cannon as I feel that the coverage of it is just as important as Flash Cannon's STAB (although Sacred Sword should be slashed second) and I feel that Aegislash really needs the prioroty if it is not going full-on special.
Also a knitpick, you forgot to mention 0 speed IVs on the special set, or is that one not running 0 speed due to sub? (i saw the mixed set had 0 speed so i assumed that one would be the same; correct me if i am wrong)
0 Speed IVs allow Aegislash to move last, and stay in Shield Forme. This means that it should be in Shield Forme when anything tries to attack it.
Other Options said:
Minimum Speed isn't a requirement, and with some investment, Aegislash can outspeed Mawile and Azumarill.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
0 Speed IVs allow Aegislash to move last, and stay in Shield Forme. This means that it should be in Shield Forme when anything tries to attack it.
sorry. I was unclear. I was saying that you didn't remember to put the 0 spe on that set (nginx error just occurred so I can't check if it is the other set)

Spooky Plate should be slashed with Weakness Policy in the Mixed set as the Aegislash is primarily going to use Shadow Ball and Shadow Sneak. The item boosts the moves that Aegislash most commonly uses without taking HP away like LO which compromises bulk. Expert Belt is another item that you can put in OO as Aegislash's coverage hits alot of types super effectively. Iron Head is another possibility that should be slashed in Mixed Attacker to hit specially invested and assault vest pokemon that are weak to steel-type.

Calcs:

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aromatisse: 248-294 (61 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aromatisse: 320-380 (78.8 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aromatisse: 124-147 (30.5 - 36.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Spooky Plate should be slashed with Weakness Policy in the Mixed set as the Aegislash is primarily going to use Shadow Ball and Shadow Sneak. The item boosts the moves that Aegislash most commonly uses without taking HP away like LO which compromises bulk. Expert Belt is another item that you can put in OO as Aegislash's coverage hits alot of types super effectively. Iron Head is another possibility that should be slashed in Mixed Attacker to hit specially invested and assault vest pokemon that are weak to steel-type.

Calcs:

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aromatisse: 248-294 (61 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aromatisse: 320-380 (78.8 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aromatisse: 124-147 (30.5 - 36.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Flash Cannon would still OHKO Aromatisse +2. Anyway, to my knowledge most Aromatisses opt to run a lot more physical bulk given how physical the metagame is right now, and how little investment it takes to take on most special attackers. Spooky Plate would probably fit in other options. Expert Belt would be a bad idea, as Aegislash's STAB Steel- and Ghost-type coverage has great neutral coverage but actually pretty bad super effective coverage. Spooky Plate deserves a mention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)