SM Ubers A Team that people probably won't get but it works :3

How would you rate this team?

• Total voters

Introductions are in order! *slams hammer down*
So, was stuck at around 1300-1350 on Ubers ladder running a Pdon/Pgre/Daddygarde core, was struggling against some really... REALLY weird teams(like, some super stally OU/Uber/PU mix teams that I just couldn't break through to name one of the really weird teams), So I decided to build a new team, get the feel of it, change any kinks that came up (like apparently, fire punch is very nice on Pdon >~>) and have currently managed to hit ~1530 with it. I don't tend to like being too "Hyper Offensive" but I also hate being that Stall guy that people just don't like battling. So that's where this team came in, It has the right feel for me as a player who relies more on seeing how opponents will react then playing around that later, rather then going all out (or stalling it out).

The Team of Meme's.. note that they're REALLY old and bad memes, probably stale, watch out.

The Meta (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 100 152 HP / 212 236 Atk / 44 SpD / 196 76 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Precipice Blades - Stealth Rock - Fire Punch Dragon Tail - Swords Dance Stone Edge

Rock, hardplace, meet it.

Lets be fair, this is the meta, and it isn't gunna change for a while (probably depending on USUM stuff or if something randomly comes out of the blue). A bit of a faster Pdon that still hits like a truck (not like it's hard for it to hit like a truck but well... yeah) as long as precipice blades hits, and I'm not versing a max speed Pdon mirror, i can 2HKO them or if i'm really lucky (read as: Crit) probably OHKO. Asides from that, it's also my only hazard setter but also a useful thing to just have to hit things, really, REALLY, hard.
Edit: With the changes from 3017, P-don's been made into a slower but harder hitting one who can tank a hit or two, and dish out more damage. Can also phaze out Mega-Mence or Tina's... as long as you don't have my luck and miss dragon tails.

The Meta's Goat (Xerneas) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast - Thunder - Focus Miss Blast - Aromatherapy/Psychic

Ahh Xerneas, I spent the longest time avoiding you, and now you're sitting here on the team.

Edit: With the only thing staying the same on the Xerneas Moonblast, I'm gunna hvae to retype this whole section. Xerneas is now in a Speed Control form, giving the goat the scarf to outspeed threats like Marshadow, Darkrai, and either tie or outspeed scarf Yveltal's. Psychic is also a possible option if you want to forgo the Aromatherapy and have a surprise for Mega Gengar's.

Flying Chicken (Ho-Oh) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 224 HP / 48 136 Atk / 112 72 SpD / 100 76 Spe
Gentle Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird - Sacred Fire - Toxic - Hidden Power [Ice] Recover

Yes, I would like some fried chicken with my review thank you :3.

A more special wall (read as, Unless Xerneas has Thunder(bolt) and hits it, hi Xerneas) who also provides a secondary fire AND ground resist/immunity. Still does decent damage because of life orb, and HP Ice is just to hit things that might resist the other two on switch (depending on the team obviously.) so it's mainly just used as a backup attack. (or the lead, mostly the lead as people seem to expect Pdon leads so they bring something to stop that.) Toxic is also here in case they lead with Pdon or something else that is REALLY nice to hit with a toxic, I mean, seriously, there's a lot of nice things to hit with toxic, isn't there?
Edit: Ho-oh's nature was changed (as someone pointed out to me that it was Gentle and not Adamant, and that it doesn't matter too much with HP Ice and being Adamant (Thanks A))
Edit 2: HP Ice was changed to Recover, and EV's were changed around.

The God Goat @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 96 132 Def / 160 124 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog - Judgment Ice Beam - Toxic - Recover

The one thing, out of everything, I couldn't think of a dang nickname for... then again, some of those names are bad XD.

The god goat is here and he declares that he is a water type to also be an annoying thing... until something hits it really hard while it's dying to toxic because cant out-recover that... BUT I do use it as my Defogger, Main Toxic user, like, tertiary attacker who may attack a grand total on 3 times a game, Recovery bait, much else to say? oh, yeah, it's got a bit of speed and a timid nature just so it can do decent hits and outspeed some things that probably isn't smart... but I did it anyway and it's worked so far, also opted for some physical defense so switching it onto Pdon it takes less damage. <- Read edit 2 for more info there.
Edit: Thanks to A again, changed Judgment to Ice beam to hit those things.
Edit 2: Thanks to 3017's change, depending on Pdon builds can avoid getting 2HKO'd be Precipice blades (have still been 2HKO'd by one recently).

Never Remembered (Lucario-Mega) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance - Iron Tail - Bullet Punch - Close Combat

2/22 games used, Yup, No idea.

Not gunna lie, Lucario is probably a top 5 contender for my favourite gen 4 pokemon. Loved the movie, Loved getting the Riolu egg, LOVED IT ALL! The only problem I'm seieng (this could be because I'm playing on a new account that's sitting around 1300's atm) is that I just dont ever use him, or if I do go to use him, he's either dead instantly (cause I mean, yeah, there's a lotta stuff here that can OHKO especially if they get set up) or just maybe hits once and THEN either dies or gets switched out, never to be used again... maybe I'm just playing with him wrong.

Ferro-Steela (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip - Leech Seed - Gyro Ball - Protect

Why is this thing just another form of Celesteela? or is Celesteela another form of this? UGH.

Firstly, doesn't have spikes because I didn't want to double down on hazards with P-don having stealth rocks, especially because I tend to be the one who defog's anyway.
Secondly, this thing is so stupidly strong. It doesn't need attack investment to just HURT THINGS. and Protect-Seed is just a really good way of recovery. Overall, good pokemon, still hate it because it's so good.

The Meta's Shadow (Marshadow) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief - Shadow Sneak - Close Combat - Rock Tomb

Hides in the shadows, steal yo girl, then steals yo boosts... ITS MARSHADOW!

This was my lovely little boy, winning me games out of nowhere because of the sash. the only problem was that if there was rock then I relied on Water-ceus to get out and clear them out before he could come in, which was a problem as if water-ceus went down., i had to hope he could live without the sash and do something. Stil land will always love the little bugger, but I'll work on a team revolving around him later.

Bacon Birb (Yveltal) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dark Aura
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Oblivion Wing - Dark Pulse - U-turn - Foul Play Heat Wave

Seriously, I got a shiny Timid Yveltal over Wonder Trade the day of pokebanks release, I'm sad it wasn't called this.

Good Ol' Bacon bird Yveltal, went Specs over Scarf/Life orb just because I feel that hitting a switching in Xerneas for around half it's HP is pretty nice, oh, and also Pdon and quite a few other things. Don't know much about the foul play as I barely use it, but I guess at times it can be useful (question mark?) as it doesn't go off of the minus nature of my own Yveltal, but I have been thinking of switching it, just not sure what to... Edit: Foul Play hasn't been used like, at all, so with some suggestions (that have also been changed) it has become Heat Wave for Magearna/Ferrothorn switch ins.
Albeit that Specs Yveltal does damage, he was just outclassed by the other choices that 3017 shoved in my face i mean... put towards me :P Still like the bacon birb, but he really wasn't needed on the team.

The Meta's Goat (Xerneas) @ Fairium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ingrain - Moonblast - Geomancy - Rest

Rest Zeomancy Xerneas, fun to play and beat stall with, but without good speed control it could get stopped pretty easily if I wasn't careful. also the surprise bulk on it shocked people as well which was fun.

Concluding Statement. (to be fair, currently in Uni and I make jokes in my assignments there as well, PROBABLY shouldn't but I can't help it with essays and stuff.)
This team can tank hits, switch around, and play with opponents if you play with it right. Only problems (that I've been told that I have from other people) are Pgre, Mega-mance, and Mega-cario problems. Most of these I don't see much or at all in my current bracket (again, around 1530's at the time of posting this) but would probably see it further up. Any tips, ideas, changes, etc that people come up with will definitely be considered, and if I can make it work within my playstyle, will probably end up happening.

Thanks for reading and I hope to see your reply! :D
Ferro-Steela (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Never Remembered (Lucario-Mega) @ Lucarionite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Tail
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat

The Meta (Groudon) @ Red Orb
EVs: 152 HP / 236 Atk / 44 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge

The Meta's Goat (Xerneas) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Aromatherapy

Flying Chicken (Ho-Oh) @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 112 SpD / 100 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Toxic
- Recover

The God Goat (Arceus-Water) @ Splash Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Defog
- Ice Beam

Edit note: Mass update has been done, ho boy IDK what I'm gunna do atm but yeah. stuff.​

Last edited:
It's been a while, but some changes have been made recently to the team. Thanks to A for the suggested changes.

Yveltal's Foul Play has been swapped to Heat Wave, mainly for Ferrothorn/Magearna's.
Ho-Oh for some reason had a Gentle Nature, has now been changed to Adamant.
Arceus's Judgment has been changed to Ice Beam, just to help kill the things that are quad weak (AKA Zygarde/Rayquaza/Salamence)

Would still like to hear anyone elses reviews/ideas to change etc.

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Hi, cool team that you've got there. Ho-oh + Waterceus cores are always quite fun to use - especially with the balance sort of playstyle that you appear to be going for. My biggest issues with this team so far is that it's ridiculously easily pressured by offense. This is mostly due to the fact that the second rocks are up, you're basically forced to switch to Arceus Water as quickly as possible since Ho-oh is heavily crippled by rocks, and the second Marshadow takes damage from hazards, it's then completely unable to fulfill the job that it's required to do. This would also become especially problematic when you're dealing with phasers such as Groudon and Lugia, since there's a chance that these mons are forced in before Arceus Water has a chance to remove hazards. Furthermore, once rocks are on the field, strong wallbreakers such as Groudon and Kyogre run through this team, and also due to the lack of speed control, speed bosting setup sweepers such as Groudon, Xerneas and Mega Salamence become especially problematic once rocks are up, since nothing on this team is really bulky enough to tank hits from them (Although it appears that you've got two Xerneas checks, Ho-oh lacks recover so can easily be worn down and ultimately dies to two thunders and Primal Groudon needs 152 HP and 44 SpD in order to be able to survive a +2 Focus Blast or Hidden Power Ground). Because of this, the way that this team is structured right now is not only forces Arceus Water in on regular intervals, but is basically dependant on Arceus Water to be alive in order for it to function. I do however believe that with a few alterations, you're capable of having a very powerful team.

The easiest way to improve this team is to focus on changing the breakers, since the Ho-oh + Waterceus + Groudon have rather nice defensive synergy. Ferrothorn is added to this team in order to adequately check Kyogre and also further improve your match-up vs Xerneas, Arceus Ground, Zygarde . Xerneas' role is changed from a late-game win-con to your main means of speed control, being able to outspeed and ohko marshadow and either speed tie or outspeed scarf Yveltal (since many of them run modest). Lastly Marshadow is Replaced with Mega Lucario, All of these run pretty standard sets, however I've given you the option of running psychic on Xerneas in order to check the rare, but certainly powerful threat, Mega Gengar. Aromatherapy is pretty useful though, since toxic spam seems to be quite common in the ubers tier right now, so it's really up to you. I do admit that this removes the whole idea of using Marshadow to steal your opponent's boosts, however I believe that in order to have a team based on that, you're going to wish to pair it with Magearna so that Marshadow isn't primarily dedicated as your means of stopping mons from setting up. In order for that to be effective, I also believe that you'd have to change the general structure of the team. The changes I've provided you with however, let you maintain the general structure of the team and mostly keep the playstyle that I believe that you are aiming to play. I've provided a more in-depth analysis of this team with their changes and how they help you below:

Groudon @ Red Orb
EVs: 152 HP / 236 Atk / 44 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge

Firstly the EV spread has been changed to 152 HP / 44 SpD in order to be able to live a +2 focus Blast or Hidden Power Ground from Xerneas. 76 Speed allows you to out pace everything up to un-invested Xerneas and Yveltal and the rest is placed into attack so you can ohko opposing Primal Groudons. Dragon Tail was placed here to hit Mega Salamence and stop it from setting up - since it takes minimal damage at -1 from stone edge (and even less from fire punch), as well as hitting Giratina for more damage than anything else in it's movepool. Stone Edge is placed here so you actually have a means of hitting Ho-oh, which otherwise walls your entire team. I will point out that many decent teams with Ho-oh in them have solid answers for Primal Groudon. However, since your team was completely walled by Ho-oh before, this should significantly improve your match-up. Fire punch doesn't really seem necessary since you already have Ho-oh to deal with bulky steels such as Celesteela and Ferrothorn, and Mega Lucario also OHKOS both of these mons at +2, and since you're not running an especially speedy Groudon, Swords Dance just generally doesn't seem helpful.

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
EVs: 224 HP / 136 Atk / 72 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Recover
- Toxic
Recover is basically there to help this thing's longevity, and you don't really need to run HP Ice, since you have multiple ways of dealing with Salamence and Zygarde.

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Defog
- Ice Beam
This EV spread is changed from the 160 speed that you originally ran in order for you to miss out on being 2HKO'd by a Precipice Blades from Primal Groudon. Since this is your team's primary check to Groudon, it is absolutely beneficial that it's actually able to effectively check it. Although the Analysis suggests a spread of 192 Speed and Timid to outpace Mega Lucario. I don't believe that this is helpful since Ice Beam does 18-21% to Lucario anyway and since it's immune to Toxic, without running Judgement, you're going to lose the matchup with Mega Lucario 1v1 regardless of whether you speed creep or not.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Spikes/Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

This is a pretty standard set for Ferrothorn in Ubers, however I've got the option of Power Whip instead of Spikes. While Stealth Rock is absolutely crucial in any sort of team to create pressure on your opponent and punishing them for switching, I believe that going to the extent of stacking hazards on a team with Ho-oh seems a little counter-productive since you'll often be defogging your own away anyway. Power Whip however actually allows you to be able to 2HKO even defensive variants of Kyogre and Punish mons like Arceus Ground, Which is especially useful vs Support Groundceus variants since Ice Beam from Arceus Water does less damage than Judgement from Arceus Ground does in return.

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Aromatherapy/Psychic

This is a pretty standard Scarf Xerneas set. The only thing I've changed from the analysis is to add Psychic in place of Aromatherapy that way you are actually able to surprise and kill Mega Gengar, which would otherwise be problematic for this team, since it's able to outspeed and either trade KO's or beat every other mon on this team 1v1.
Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Tail
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat

The set here is completely standard Mega Lucario. It's got a brilliant typing and adaptability is amazing, so you only really need to run stabs. It has great synergy with the other mons on this team and just acts as a brilliant late-game cleaner that isn't so reliant on two turns of setup or having its focus sash broken (unlike the other two mons you had before that were designed to fulfill this role).

I hope you find my feedback to be useful, as well as the changes that I've provided you with. If you have any questions about this team, how to make a more effective team with a Magearna + Marshadow core or about the ubers tier, feel free to ask! Also good luck with any future teambuilding, I look forward to being able to rate one of your teams again :)

Last edited:
#ItsAboutTime 3017. NGL, this was originally the same team that I posted in the RMT a good month ago (this was posted at the same time) and you said that you hated rating teams on there because of the text limitations :P (Yes, I still remember that). Anyway there isn't much I could say about the changes without having tried them yet. I will try the aromatherapy (and change to psychic if I encounter a certain percentage of gengar's) and personally I hate running thunder/focus miss because well... I tend to miss a lot. mainly with focus blasts but it's still annoying, and I have that same feeling that Iron Tail might have the same luck. But again, not gunna fully complain about anything without testing it, there's no point theorizing over it without putting in the practical tests.

Also I'm going power whip over spikes because just the same feeling you had of layering spikes and rocks on a ho-oh team. I normally avoid putting rocks up with groudon (with my build anyway, outspeeding some smeargles was nice) when they have their rock setter/taunt/sleep first and just get good damage off instead. So more often than not, I'd go a whole game getting maybe 1 rocks set up and then clearing it myself anyway.

Also, I would love a team built more around a marshadow core (cause I love the little bugger too much, i got 5 extra codes for him as well :P) so if you could help me with that, it'd be amazing!

so I've been playing the updated team a bit this last week, some things I've noticed.

1, I made a new account to play with this team just to see how it went, and then I barely played it but still did every now and then.
2, I barely use Lucario in general, not sure if it's just me or if it's just never been needed.
3, Only encountered 1 mega gengar and it was a Will-o hex set, ho-oh dealt with that even living through hex + turn 2 poison and OHKO'ing it.
4, Ferrothorn is such an annoying wall.

and finally 5, here's a replay of me playing with the team, and it's only one replay cause i forgot to save a lot of them.. (btw the new accounts name is ChonChentChop) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-648131524

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)