2014/15 Association Football (Soccer) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Mathieu? He was a left winger that has been transitioning well to cb. And their defense isn't poor, its built well to suit their style of play. If their style of play was to constantly defend from the cross and long balls and to try and constantly defend and counter then yes its poor, but it is not designed that way. So saying they are poor center backs just isnt true. And Cesc came through the barca academy in the xavi position, so him not knowing how to play that position isnt true. There was no space to use him in the center for both club and country at barca and his best chance to play and get playing time was to play striker which any player would do instead of waiting for 3/4 years for xavi to finally leave and maybe take over for him. If he only had to wait for a year or two then the transition into the center mid would have been easier for him. The attacking position he played in england would easily transition for him into barca's system since they aren't the pep team of tiki taka anymore and have gone into more direct attacking play which would suit fabregas. But I think they should have at least gone for Koke, verrati, or even perhaps pastore if the other two weren't available. Don't get me wrong I hope Arda turan does well at barca since I have been a fan since 2008 euro's and his days at galatasaray, I just don't see his style of play or most of atletico's players fitting into a barca system

All this money spent to realise your best CB partnership contains Chris Smalling and a converted full back. Also the fact that your going to lose your only world class player before the season starts.

Manchester United is delighted to announce that Matteo Darmian has completed his transfer from Torino. He's quite good, I can assure you.

Btw, I saw Morrison the day before yesterday. I'll judge whether he's crazy, but he seems phantasmagoric.

When was the last time Man U had a top quality right back in the prime of his career lol. 8 bloody years. Darmian is excellent I would've gone for him myself.

Schweinsteiger isn't what he used to be and he will likely flop.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
So Casillas just moved from Real Madrid to Porto... anyone want to explain that move?
He's had problems with the club and other players during the last years, and with the press as well (and his family doesn't help with statements like ''Casillas should go to Barcelona, not a third division team like Porto). This, coupled with bad performance on the pitch for the last 3-4 years, makes it understandable that the club wanted him to leave, as benching him would only cause another year of drama on and off the pitch.

To be honest, I think he should have left last summer after winning the Champions League, it would have been the best way of leaving on a high note, and making people forget all the issues of recent times. Now he's always gonna be remembered not just as a legendary player, but as one who caused many problems in the changing room.

But alas, some people don't know when to close shop.

He's had problems with the club and other players during the last years, and with the press as well (and his family doesn't help with statements like ''Casillas should go to Barcelona, not a third division team like Porto). This, coupled with bad performance on the pitch for the last 3-4 years, makes it understandable that the club wanted him to leave, as benching him would only cause another year of drama on and off the pitch.

To be honest, I think he should have left last summer after winning the Champions League, it would have been the best way of leaving on a high note, and making people forget all the issues of recent times. Now he's always gonna be remembered not just as a legendary player, but as one who caused many problems in the changing room.

But alas, some people don't know when to close shop.
oh i knew all about that, I just don't get why he chose porto. That's a club for south american talent and other unknown talent to go and make a name for themselves before moving to bigger clubs in europe

Porto are still a very big club for starters. You seem to think that Casillas would have a pick of massive teams even though you say that you know that he has been bad for the last few years. Just what team do you think he should have "chose" ?

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
^yeah that

I doubt he had better offers, people were talking about Roma too, but Roma don't have that huge of a budget and idk what I'd choose between Roma and Porto

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
And are any of those a better option than Porto? No top english team was going to sign him, he wasn't going to be first choice on PSG, and Roma isn't exactly better than Porto unless they finally breakout this season (and still...). He still has time to go to an arab team in a couple of years and he has enough money anyway.

In Porto, he's first choice and has a pretty good chance at silverware, plus playing in Europe. It's also convenient because Porto is near Madrid so he can still visit his family.

Not a top 4 team sure, but mid table teams would and that would be a more sensible option. Who knows if he would be first option at psg, but they apparently thought david luiz was worth 48 mil so casillas could have easily been a good choice there. And Roma has a good chance to break out this year with juve losing, pirlo and tevez confirmed plus pogba and vidal look like they are on their way out and their center backs plus goalkeeper are getting a year older.

Porto is not a spot for older talent to try and continue playing at a top level. The big names who went back are guys who originated from there and decided to go back because they loved porto

Fabio Capello no longer coach of Russia. Sucks for him because he was making millions for poorly managing the Russian national side, but maybe the national team can show more than they have ever since their Euro 2008 semi final run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)