Smogon Forums

musiquepkmn
Ok great. Just a note that offensive niches usually aren't as defined. Let's take stonjourner. A rock-type lategame cleaner that can outspeed SG Magearna and hit steels. No one looks at a team and says "I need a rock type late game cleaner that can outspeed shift gear magearna and break ferrothorn." Of course, it's perfectly viable to build around them, but that's not what makes something "meta".
musiquepkmn
In lunatone's case, one could look at a team and say "this team has a weakness to Nidoking, Heatran, and Dragonite but I only have one slot left." Then they would need to look for a mon that beats all three, and bingo they put Lunatone on their team. Someone who wasn't thinking about using Lunatone before now uses Lunatone because what it gives is incredibly unique and important, instead of being one of the two.
musiquepkmn
I will definitely be looking tho just a warning it's finals week so it may take a bit.
MidnightReaper
MidnightReaper
Absolutely, and good luck on finals my dude! I'm gonna be investigating Seaking first. I'm actually not running Seaking as an offensive mon, but as a mon that compresses the useful qualities of both Swampert and Seismitoad. Swampert has Flip Turn but not Knock Off, Seismitoad has Knock Off but not Flip Turn, Seaking has both (along with an electric immunity provided by its ability!)
MidnightReaper
MidnightReaper
Essentially, Seaking's niche will come from role compression and specific utility, but I'm trying to figure out a proper EV spread.
MidnightReaper
MidnightReaper
Along with this, I'm seeing a way for it to act as an emergency check to QD Pheromosa but I still have to work out all the kinks