Codraroll
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Cool (sorry) article on the Ice type. Was a fantastic read and such trivia found at the end of the article is always fascinating. Ice really is screwed...
    I would really love to see more similar articles on other things or types, they might not be as interesting as Ice, but they will surely have something interesting, such as the exclusivity of the Ghost and Dragon type in the 1st generation games.
    Codraroll
    Codraroll
    Thanks! I've thought a little about the poorly represented types in Gen I, but I don't think I know enough to make an article on them. I think Ghost can be seen as a "novelty type" created solely to give the Gastly family more flavour (and add further content to the Pokémon Tower "quest"), while Dragon was created to give Lance's Pokémon more of an oomph. A powerful Pokémon hit super-effectively by only one other type, which is quite rare in itself? That sounds a lot like a traditional boss trope from Japanese RPGs. Still, these observations aren't enough to base an article on... unless I do something similar for all types, their early archetypes, and what they evolved into across the generations... That way, only a brief blurb on every type would be enough...

Hmm... might be an idea worth considering...
    Rain Spectre
    Out of curiosity, what's your feelings on the sheer amount of Water mons?
    Codraroll
    Codraroll
    Basically, that water is a too diverse thing to be represented by one type of average size. The type comprises every kind of sea creature, alongside animals who live *near* water (like Bibarel and Wingull), and somewhat-random things like Ludicolo and Palkia. If it is a creature, natural formation or *abstract concept* that has any affiliation with water in any form in any way (except if it is frozen - usually), it usually gets the Water-type. And there's a lot of water around the world. Clouds, waterfalls, oceans, rivers, lakes, and the creatures that live in and around them, PLUS that Japanese fascination with guardian spirits that potentially adds a bunch of ethereal stuff too (Tapu Fini, Milotic, Palkia).

It's simply a case of the old trope "Water Is One Biome", giving Game Freak a too big box to stuff 'mons into. It is like if Ground, Rock, Grass, Bug, and Normal were one type. But I can't see any sensible way to split it either, so... eh, Too Much Water seems like the least bad way to address it. At least there is amazing variety within the type, something not all types can boast.
    Loved your article on Ice! Kinda explains why I use so few Ice-Types myself XP Would love to see another article from you on the subject of types. Maybe the fall of psychic and rise of bug over the years?
    Codraroll
    Codraroll
    Hm, maybe? I've been toying a little with ideas on more type articles, but I don't think any single type has as much to write about as Ice, due to all its problems - other types have problems too, but they are usually balanced out by some other great traits. Ice has problems, but not enough awesomeness to make up for them - far from it, actually. But I kind of like the Bug and Psychic idea. Bug started out very weak and Psychic very strong, but they've sort of switched positions as time went by. It would be interesting to compare their situations now vs. back then. The Ice article compared the Ice-type to a standard of, well, the general average, but since no other types have that same relationship to the average they will have to compare to each other instead. Bug and Psychic is not a bad pairing.

I've also toyed with the idea of looking at Steel, Ghost, Rock and Electric, as these also often tend to get the short end of the stick. Steel has no good moves, Ghost tends to have an availability problem, Rock has no move options (Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, Power Gem, forget the rest), and Electric appears to be the only typing Game Freak likes less to create new 'mons for than Ice. But neither problem is big enough to warrant an entire article on its own. I'll consider the Bug/Psychic one, though.
    Rain Spectre
    Electric wouldn't have so many problems if Gamefreak stopped stuffing it with Pikaclones . It's weird, because Mimikyu's existence kinda proves that Gamefreak is aware that people are sick and tired of it milking the mascot...only the same generation gave us Togedamaru, who doesn't even have a unique typing.
    N-ice article (another thing ice has against it, the horrible puns)
    (also get well soon)
    Codraroll
    Codraroll
    Thanks a lot! For both things! Or all three, if you count the pun!
    hey, since idk if you missed my tag, are you good with moving your article to GP?
    Codraroll
    Codraroll
    Yes, I think so. I was just going to make some final adjustments before replying, but that took longer than anticipated to get started. Fixed it now, though.
    So are people not allowed to criticize Pokemon on this forum? Or is there a forum here that isn't an echochamber?
    Codraroll
    Codraroll
    You are allowed to criticize, of course, but wishlisting for specific features is frowned upon. Try out the "Little things that annoy you" or "Unpopular opinions" threads in the Orange Islands subforum.
    Codraroll
    Codraroll
    Weird, I seem to be "banned from accessing" 4chan and that file. Strange, I never posted anything there...
    Kurona
    Kurona
    Strange, I'm getting the same... oh well.
    Someone had uploaded unused walking/running animations for all Pokémon in Sun/Moon (including Megas) and that was Venusaur's. Guess they've been taken down now
    Would a thread about EVERYTHING an oras completionist would have to do (ex. Mostly you just beat the contests for lucarionite, but a completionist would beat each master rank for the lilycove museum portraits & secret base decoration)be feasible?

So basically a list of EVERYTHING that there is to do in oras
    Codraroll
    Codraroll
    Hmm... if you can create some good discussion points around it, it could work. Do you have any specific ideas?

Otherwise, a more generic "completionism" thread could also work. Instead of tying it to ORAS specifically, it could discuss the general concept of doing everything in the various games.

Also, sorry for late reply, I was away this weekend.
    Cutefluffysheep
    Cutefluffysheep
    Ok, I'll try out a specific oras completion thread , if it doesn't work I'll change it to generic completion( I would add xy too but I never played them so I don't know too much about them)
    hey -- hope you got a call back that you were successful for that job!
    Codraroll
    Codraroll
    I got a call back, but unfortunately I didn't get the job. Back at square one now.
    MikeAU
    MikeAU
    Sorry to hear. There's always some bigger, hidden plan that we can't see -- sure it was for a reason but wishing you the best of luck for next time!
    codraroll simulator 2016
    "I bet game freak have regretted making raichu ever since gen 1"
    "golem's design doesn't work outside it's sprites"
    "if game freak introduces new moves in oras I'll change my name to codraroll"
    Codraroll
    Codraroll
    That post is far too short...
    Kurona
    Kurona
    its a preview
    fund my kickstarter for more
    nice badge =)

Would a "How did you get into Pokemon?" sorta thread be ok?
    Codraroll
    Codraroll
    Thanks!

And yes, I think the thread would be OK. We have a thread somewhere called "your first Pokémon game" or something to that effect, but it's old and I don't think your idea would be a rehash of that concept. So by all means, make the thread if you feel like it.

Suggestion: Also ask people how they found their way here.
    sneaky.
    sneaky.
    Nice, I'll write it up later tonight
    grats dude! (don't reply to your nom thread next time)
    Codraroll
    Codraroll
    Thanks! I didn't realize it was a nom thread when I posted, so slightly embarrassing, that...
    cant say
    cant say
    Hey it's better than some of the shit that's posted in those things, maybe more people should do it! Keep up the good work :)
    No offense but your username pisses me off.. I keep reading it as Cobraroll and it fucks with my head
    Codraroll
    Codraroll
    It used to be Cobraroll, actually. Then I lost a bet, and had to change it. I liked the new name, though, so I decided to keep it.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…