Umbreon (OU Revamp) [QC 2/2] [GP 2/2]

[OVERVIEW]
Umbreon is one of the toughest walls to bring down thanks to its stellar defensive stats and access to Charm, which allows it to handle GSC's numerous Curse sweepers. It's also a solid Pursuit user despite being very weak offensively, since it doesn't fear much from Starmie and Dynamic Punch Gengar, unlike competing Dark-types Tyranitar and Houndoom. Umbreon can also make good use of the combination of Mean Look and Baton Pass, which is potentially very rewarding if the opponent fails to phaze it. However, with such poor offensive stats and its bare movepool, Umbreon is one of the most passive Pokemon in the tier and is left overly reliant on Toxic to do any sort of damage, which means it can't pose a threat to anything immune to poison except Gengar. Umbreon also despises status and has to use Rest in order to escape from poison and paralysis, and even though it is extremely sturdy, it can be overwhelmed much more easily when it is asleep.

[SET]
name: Charm
move 1: Charm
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Toxic / Sleep Talk
move 4: Rest / Moonlight
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
Charm is one of the main reasons why Umbreon is so hard to break through. The purpose of this move is to stop Curse sweepers like Snorlax in their tracks. It can also be used to soften the blows of Explosion and other physical attacks from slower Pokemon like Exeggutor, Rhydon, and even Machamp—though in Machamp's case, Umbreon must beware of Cross Chop's high critical hit rate. Pursuit allows Umbreon to wear down Pokemon like Exeggutor, Gengar, and Misdreavus, none of which can hit it very hard without using Explosion, punishing them with hefty damage if they try to switch out. Toxic is the best option Umbreon has to weaken the foe and to force switches, threatening non-Rest variants of Snorlax and Tyranitar. In conjunction with Pursuit and Spikes support, Toxic can wear down opposing Pokemon quite quickly. Finally, Rest is Umbreon's preferred recovery option, since it allows it to get rid of poison or paralysis, which both pose a severe threat to Umbreon and limit its effectiveness. Rest also notably enables Umbreon to check threats like Body Slam Snorlax more effectively. However, it puts Umbreon out of commission for two turns, making it more vulnerable to offensive pressure. Therefore, you can opt for Sleep Talk so Umbreon keeps fulfilling its tasks when asleep, at the cost of the residual damage provided by Toxic. Nonetheless, if Umbreon can avoid or be cured of status and the low amount of PP isn't problematic despite the fact that Umbreon is an entirely stall-based Pokemon, its more flexible recovery option in Moonlight should be taken into consideration.

Team Options
========
Outside of its defensive utility, the main reason to use Umbreon is its ability to reliably weaken any Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon with Pursuit, something greatly appreciated by Pokemon such as Machamp or mono-attacking Snorlax. Umbreon is also a good option for Spikes-based teams, since it's the only viable Pursuit user that fares well against what is arguably the best spinner available, Starmie. Even though Starmie takes fairly low damage from Umbreon's Pursuit and has plenty of Recover PP, constant residual damage from poison and the threat of Pursuit will eventually see it struggling to keep Spikes off the field. If Umbreon happens to pack Sleep Talk instead of Toxic, your Spikes setter should be able to inflict Starmie with poison so Umbreon can still heavily pressure it. Both Cloyster and Forretress can struggle against Gengar and Misdreavus, so once again Pursuit is a great help. However, keep in mind that Umbreon's Special Attack is so lackluster that Rest Misdreavus can stall it out. As Umbreon relies on Charm to handle boosting Snorlax, its worst nightmare is Belly Drum Snorlax. It is therefore a good idea to use it alongside Skarmory on more defensive teams, as Skarmory is much better suited to handling Belly Drum Snorlax, whereas Umbreon can stave off Snorlax variants that Skarmory struggles with, such as Fire move Curselax.

[SET]
name: Mean Look + Baton Pass
move 1: Mean Look
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Charm / Confuse Ray
move 4: Rest / Moonlight / Sand Attack
Item: Leftovers / Bright Powder

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
With Mean Look and Baton Pass, Umbreon works as the bulkiest trap passer available. Charm remains very useful against physical attackers, and it pairs well with Mean Look to prevent the opposing Pokemon from escaping while its Attack stat keeps decreasing. Once you have used Mean Look and potentially Charm several times, use Baton Pass in order to bring in an appropriate counter to face the trapped Pokemon or a teammate that can safely set up on it and attempt to sweep. Confuse Ray is the best option Umbreon has against the omnipresent phazers that are the biggest thorn in this set's side and can be extremely frustrating for your opponent, especially when used in tandem with Mean Look. However, this strategy is unreliable since it's based on luck, and the odds of the opposing Pokemon hitting itself twice in a row may be too low to rely on. Rest remains Umbreon's preferred recovery move due to its ability to heal status ailments and to PP stall a trapped Pokemon. However, this variant isn't as stall based as the first, which means that Moonlight is still a solid option, especially when you can hardly afford to waste turns by allowing Umbreon
to sleep with this set. Sand Attack is another option that can be spammed in order to lower the accuracy of the foe and is even more effective when used alongside Confuse Ray. It's also the best tool available in Umbreon's arsenal if it traps a special attacker. While Leftovers remains the preferred item option, Bright Powder can be considered to maximize your chances against opposing phazers.

Team Options
========
Umbreon can't reliably transfer Mean Look if there is at least one Pokemon able to phaze it on the opposing team, with the most common ones being Skarmory, Raikou, Suicune, Steelix, and Tyranitar. Thus, Pokemon that can lure them in like Lovely Kiss or all-out attacker Snorlax make good partners; keep in mind that the first three need to use Rest in order to heal themselves and that they will rarely carry both Sleep Talk and Roar on the same moveset. Forcing Skarmory, Raikou, or Suicune to use Rest is also a good way to prevent them from disturbing Umbreon. Sturdy sweepers like Curse Snorlax and Vaporeon make good teammates, since Umbreon can give them many opportunities to set up. Pokemon that naturally scare off most of the aforementioned phazers like Nidoking and Cloyster are good partners as well, as this Umbreon variant can also bring teammates in safely with a dry Baton Pass; the latter in particular can use them as an opportunity to set up Spikes. This strategy works especially well due to the huge threat of trap passing almost guaranteeing that the opponent will bring a phazer in when facing this Umbreon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Zap Cannon is an option alongside sweepers like Tentacruel, Charizard, and Marowak on teams relying on paralysis; otherwise, Toxic is usually the best option for such a stall-based Pokemon, and losing the surprise factor due to a miss can ruin this strategy. Toxic has some merits on the Mean Look Pass set, as it puts phazers like Raikou, Tyranitar, and Suicune on a timer and forces them to use Rest if they have it, but it's ineffective against Skarmory and Steelix and more situational than the options listed. Umbreon learns Growth and can Baton Pass it, and while it's still very weak even when boosted, it can live long enough thanks to its bulk, typing, and access to Moonlight. It can also dent Skarmory and Steelix with a +1 Hidden Power Fire, but other phazers like Raikou and Tyranitar make it completely useless. Umbreon also has access to both Curse and Substitute, but again, it can't stop phazers from ruining any strategy it might otherwise hope to pull off with these.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Phazers**: The safest switch-ins to Umbreon at your disposal are phazers immune to Toxic like Skarmory and Steelix, though those that can cure themselves of poison via Rest like Raikou, Suicune, and Tyranitar are fine alternatives too.

**Heracross**: Heracross is one of Umbreon's biggest counters; all it needs is to avoid Charm on the switch in order to leave a big dent with Megahorn, and it carries Rest most of the time, so Toxic won't cripple it too much.

**Explosion Users**: Faster Explosion users like Cloyster and to a lesser extent Gengar can also threaten Umbreon if they can avoid Charm, but they are obviously less reliable answers, since they have to sacrifice themselves to weaken Umbreon.

**Vaporeon**: Most setup sweepers can't take advantage of Umbreon's passivity because of Charm, but there are some exceptions like Growth Vaporeon, which will boost its Special Attack in front of Umbreon fearlessly.

**Boosting Pokemon with Substitute**: Substitute users like Tentacruel and Kangaskhan can set up against Umbreon, since their Substitute blocks Charm and needs at least three hits of Pursuit to break.

**Belly Drum Users**: Belly Drum Snorlax is a massive threat to Umbreon since it relies on Charm to handle boosting Snorlax and can't reduce Snorlax's Attack fast enough to avoid getting KOed by its boosted STAB attacks. Other users of Belly Drum like Charizard, Clefable, and Quagsire are similarly threatening.

**Status**: A common way to bypass Umbreon is to use status, as a paralyzed one is much easier to break through for powerful attackers like Marowak and especially Machamp, whereas a poisoned one won't be able to stall out anything. Thus Umbreon will have no choice but to use Rest and try to stay healthy during two turns while asleep.

**Pokemon with Rest or Toxic Immunity**: Pokemon immune to Toxic or with Rest don't fear anything from Umbreon, although they can't necessarily do much in return. Nonetheless, the likes of Zapdos still have the upper hand against Umbreon, since they can simply force it to use Rest, trade PP with it, and potentially threaten it if their Thunder connects multiple times.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Wenderz, 331114]]
- Quality checked by: [[Earthworm, 15210], [FriendOfMrGolem120, 424525]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216], [Mafeking, 122460]]

Last edited by a moderator:

Fakes

I COULD BE BANNED!
Charmer: Mention Moonlight as an alternative to Rest and Zap Cannon as alternative to Toxic. Sleep Talk can replace either of Toxic and Pursuit.

Mean Look Baton Pass: Mention Zap Cannon, Sand Attack (also affects Flying Types) and - maybe - Attract as alteratives to Charm and Confuse Ray.

Other options: Reflect/Growl (Reflect is an RBY TM, Charm is a GSC-introduced breeding move)

Things Umbreon can do as well, which I lack the experience to assess: Curse/Baton Pass, Curse/Screech/Attacking Move, Growth/Baton Pass, Substitute/Baton Pass.

I fail to grasp how this can possibly work, but someone has been using Mean Look/Swagger/Screech on the PO Ladder in the past, apparently with quite some success.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
lol I guess this one never got re-vamped when I was around doing that. I guess it was too dull a poke for anyone to want to write about.

No but seriously, we probably thought it was detailed enough that we didn't see the need. Some of the OLD old analyses were seriously pretty bare-bones: "Surf is for STAB, so is Ice Beam, Spikes is a good move and Explosion can kill things". It's part of why so many of those analyses are long-winded - an over-compensation for what was at one point a great paucity of detail.

I just skimmed it but this is pretty solid work. Growth is scarier than you make it out to be though - with HP fire it can beat down Steelix, and if that's your only Phazer you have to try and kill it, and trying to kill a BP Umbreon is like trying to kill a BP Vaporeon... without a Thunder weakness... oh yeah and Moonlight. Def not standard enough to warrant more than a slightly less dismissive OO mention though.

Also a trapping Umbreon without either Rest or Moonlight has worked for me before. The idea is that the standard trapping set wants Cray to cheese its way into a kill against a Phazer, but it also wants Charm because otherwise it's a sitting duck against Curselax. Sand-Attack kinda kills two birds with one stone there, but it's pretty dicey to rely on misses in a Curse war where the other Lax has the lead, whereas against Phazers it's less likely to work than Cray is, and given the limiting factor is the # of Mean Looks you have, Sand-Attack's extra PP isn't exactly helping matters. Having both Charm & Cray, though, lets you both trap Curselax AND Phazers.

Toxic on BP sets and, of course, Zap Cannon are both important to touch upon.

The match-up against Starmie is important, but actually pretty complicated. Starmie can stay in and just stall Umbreon out, but Umbreon kinda won't mind because Starmie will be so low on PP that the Spiker may be able to go on to win by attrition. Unless, of course, Umbreon is needed to check Snorlax (which it probably is), in which case Umbreon could be the one that has to consider when it should cut its losses. IDK how much of that should go in an analysis but it's a thing.

Thank you both for the insights and sorry for the late answer. I tried to insert most of the things you said, although I think that Zap Cannon is far from from being as useful as Toxic to be slashed. I'm very sceptical about sets like Curse / Screech / Attacking Move since you'll have only one moveslot for a non-stabbed offensive Move and like Mean Look / Swagger /Screech due to the tremendous luck factor which makes me wonder to list as OO. Attract just seems inferior to Confuse Ray in most cases to me and I don't think Reflect / Growl worths two important moveslots. I'm going to tag Lavos to know what he feels.

Again, thank you.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Oops, guess I'm about a month late on being tagged. (edit: year and a month lmao Earthworm) Sorry about that!

On the Charm set, Sleep Talk should 100% be listed. It's an incredibly useful move for Umbreon that lets it maintain its ability to check CurseLax etc. while asleep and helps against status too. So move 3 should be Toxic / Sleep Talk, and move 4 should be Moonlight / Rest, to be consistent.

I would never run Toxic on the ML set, it's antithetical to what Umbreon's trying to do in the first place, and two of the most common phazers are Steel types. Rest also just kills your momentum and leaves you a sitting duck. For that set I'd like to see move 1 Mean Look, move 2 Baton Pass, move 3 Charm / Confuse Ray, move 4 Moonlight / Sand Attack. Lowering accuracy to -6 is just as good as spamming Charm, and far better if it's a special attacker you've trapped. I would also mention that Brightpowder is a useful alternative to Leftovers, giving you a significantly better chance to avoid being phazed out through confusion by whatever you've trapped. I would only run it with the non-Charm set though.

Good stuff so far!

Last edited:
Pursuit Charm Umbreon
The threat of Charm means that even faster physical attackers and exploders like Heracross and Cloyster have to be careful when they're trying to switch on Umbreon, because they won't be able to pressure it if their Attack stat is reduced.
This is kind of misleading and inaccurate. Heracross still threatens Umbreon even at -2, and Cloyster is definitely able to pressure Umbreon even if it gets Charmed with Toxic and Surf (and Explosion, if it is appropriate to use it), although it does need to be at least somewhat careful of switching into a healthy Umbreon if Spikes are important in the matchup, especially if it has Toxic. I think this sentence should either be removed or rewritten.
Pursuit allows you to inflict significant damages to the likes of Exeggutor, Gengar, Starmie and Misdreavus if they try to switch-in, something they should do most of the time because the best they can do against Umbreon is either using Explosion, statues or Destiny Bond, respectively.
I think you meant "switch out" here. It is noteworthy (and you indeed note it later) that Starmie can easily stall Umbreon out of Pursuit if Umbreon doesn't have Toxic and Starmie isn't poisoned, and has a shot of getting away at high health even if it is poisoned (as long as it is not badly poisoned). I also don't like the way you have limited the options of these four Pokemon when listing what they are able to do. None of them are completely helpless either. I think some more general wording would work better, e.g. Pursuit allows Umbreon to wear down Pokemon like Exeggutor, Gengar, and Misdreavus, none of which can hit Umbreon very hard without using Explosion, and punishes them with hefty damage if they try to switch out.
Finally, Moonlight is Umbreon's main recovery option due to its reliability, but Rest should still be considered since it allows it to get rid of the potential poison or paralysis which either prevent Umbreon to stall or to make a good use of Charm.
As far as I'm aware, most top players are using Rest Umbreon if they are using stall Umbreon at all, unless they're also running Heal Bell (which barely anyone is). Avoiding status tends to be pretty hard and status makes Umbreon extremely simple to play around and take advantage of. Moonlight's PP count is also easy to take advantage of with D-E Lax if Spikes are kept up. I would argue for Rest to be the first slash.
Paragraph on Pursuit Umbreon vs Starmie
It should be noted in here that if Umbreon doesn't have Toxic itself the spiker should have it and Umbreon can pressure Starmie from there.

ML Passer
Confuse Ray is the best option Umbreon has against the omnipresent phazers which makes this set nearly useless and can be extremely frustrating for your opponent, especially when used in tandem with Mean Look since the opposing Pokemon will stay confused if it doesn't switch. However it's an unreliable strategy since it's based on luck.
I'd elaborate a little more on how this works. You can specifically mention the odds of Confuse Ray lasting for the two turns necessary for this strategy to work against phazers; it's 18.75% if I am not mistaken (0.5 (hit self once) * 0.5 (hit self second time) * 0.75 (for chance of snapping out of confusion after one turn of attacking)). I would also mention that the strategy works by passing to a Pokemon that can OHKO (or incapacitate and then KO) the phazer, after which you will then be able to trap pass to your heart's content and hopefully win the game.
This variant isn't as stall-based as the former, which means that Umbreon should always opt for Moonlight as it cannot afford to waste turns by putting itself asleep with this set.
I think it's not unviable to use Rest and PP stall on ML Umbreon. We might need some more opinions since it appears this is a point of disagreement.
Umbreon learns Growth and can transfer it via Baton Pass, and while it's still very weak even boosted unlike it's brothers Vaporeon, Jolteon and Espeon, it can live much longer thanks to his bulk, typing and access to Moonlight and can still dent Skarmory and Steelix with a +1 Hidden Power Fire.
I think you should mention that this is totally useless against Raikou/Tyranitar. I also think these alternative boost passing strategies should appear last in OO because they're very bad.

Belly Drum Snorlax is also a threat if Umbreon try to come in the turn he boosts himself, but he shouldn't try to directly set up in front of the cat as it will get charmed twice before being able to hit it.
This is inaccurate, it will only be charmed at most once in any circumstance before hitting Umbreon, and furthermore if I am not mistaken Belly Drum Snorlax is a very effective option because of the the BDrum mechanics and GSC stat caps, i.e. the first Charm does not lower its attack by much compared to Charms after that because Snorlax is already at 999 attack at +5 whereas BDrum takes it to +6.

Other Belly Drummers might be worth a mention as well.

RestTalk Zapdos also deserves a specific mention for being able to sit in against Charm Umbreon without being weakened much, forcing it to Rest or trading PP with it. It also doesn't give up free switches too easy and can threaten Umbreon if it lands a few Thunders at useful times.

Implemented the changes. Sorry for being this long.

What I initially wanted to say is that Snorlax would be charmed twice if it uses Belly Drum in an 1v1 scenario, but I realised it was still able to threten Umbreon under these circumstances. I've deleted this part of the sentence.

Thank you for the feedback! Let me know if you want me to change anything else.

and allows Umbreon to effectively check most non-Rest variants of Snorlax and Tyranitar.
I understand what you are trying to say but I don't think this wording gets the meaning across accurately, because it is Charm that really allows Umbreon to check most Snorlax. Maybe change "effectively check most" to "threaten".

However it's an unreliable strategy since it's based on luck, as the confusion mechanics imply that it will last for two turns 18,75 % of the time, which may be too low to rely on.
"that it will last for two turns" should be changed to "that the opposing Pokemon will hit itself twice in a row".

Under the trap passer set you can also mention the potential to take advantage of dry passing or double-switching on the opponent's switch to a phazer. This works because of the very high threat level of trap passing. This can be really effective at gaining momentum by getting a Spiker or something like Nidoking in without taking any damage.

Once these changes are implemented happy to give QC 1/2 Wenderz

I would definitely slash Rest as main option for the Mean Look set. Unless you are playing some very offensive team, Rest is still just as useful as in the Pursuit set.

Even though phazers hard counter the Mean Look set with Charm and a recovery move, it can still be used to gain the initiative since you can select your switch with Baton Pass after your opponent revealed their switch/their move if their pokemon is faster (for the latter). You mentioned that later but
the omnipresent phazers which makes this set nearly useless
sounds a bit too harsh even though Umbreon can't do anything vs them in a vacuum.

I'd elaborate more on Zap Cannon. It is a really good OO but only works on teams that try to exploit paralysis (most commonly sweepers like Tentacruel and Charizard but I could also see it working with Marowak and Machamp).

I disagree with Perish Song users being really good against Mean Look Umbreon. If both mons are trapping each other, the Umbreon player has a chance to select which pokemon of them goes down after Baton Passing to it.

Please point out that Misdreavus with Rest can stall out Pursuit Umbreon (unless it has Pursuit + Mean Look + Baton Pass which is a gimmick). Gengar could do the same to a lesser extent but almost never uses Rest.

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Another amcheck, feel free to use what you want from it. Add Remove Comments (AP) = Add Period (AC) = Add Comma (RC) = Remove Comma (AH) = Add Hyphen (RH) = Remove Hyphen (RS) = Remove Space

[OVERVIEW]

Umbreon is one of the toughest walls to bring down thanks to its stellar defensive stats and access to Charm which allows it to handle most physical threats, including the omnipresent Curse sweepers. It's also a solid Pursuit user despite being very weak offensively since it doesn't fear much from Starmie and Dynamic Punch variants of Gengar unlike its two main competitors, Tyranitar and Houndoom. Umbreon can also act as a trap passer with the combination of both Mean Look and Baton pass Pass which is potentially very rewarding if the opponent's phazer is out.

However, with such offensive stats and movepool, Umbreon may be the most passive Pokemon in the tier and rely as well as too reliant on Toxic to do any sort of damage, which means it can't pose a threat to anything immune to poison Poison except Gengar. (AP) or able to heal it off with Rest. Umbreon itself despises statues heavily despises status and has to use Rest in order to escape from poison and paralysis, and whereas Umbreon even though it is extremely sturdy, it can be overwhelmed much more easily when it is asleep.

[SET]

Set 1: Charmer
Item: Leftovers
Move 1: Charm
Move 2: Pursuit
Move 3: Toxic / Sleep Talk
Move 4: Rest / Moonlight

[SET COMMENTS]

Charm is one of the main reasons why Umbreon is so hard to break through. The purpose of this move is to stop Curse sweepers like Snorlax in their tracks, essentially because Charm has twice the PP of Curse, (RC) (AP). but it It has plenty of other uses : you can soften including softening the blow of Explosion and powerful hits from slower Pokemon like Exeggutor and even Machamp. Beware of the high critical rate of Cross Chop in the case of the second one though Machamp, however. Pursuit allows Umbreon to wear down Pokemon like Exeggutor, Gengar, and Misdreavus, none of which can hit Umbreon very hard without using Explosion, and punishes them with hefty damage if they try to switch out. Toxic is the best way option Umbreon has to weaken the opponent foe and to force switches and which allows Umbreon to threaten non-Rest variants of Snorlax and Tyranitar. In conjuction conjunction with Pursuit and Spikes support, it Toxic can wear down some Pokemon pretty easily. Finally, Rest is Umbreon's preferred recovery option since it allows it to get rid of the potential poison or paralysis which either prevent Umbreon to stall or to make a good use of Charm. It Rest also notably enables Umbreon to check threats like Body Slam Snorlax more effectively. However, it disables Umbreon for two turns, making it more vulnerable to offensive pressure. Therefore, you can opt for Sleep Talk so Umbreon keeps fulfilling its tasks when asleep, at the cost of the residual damage provided by Toxic. Nonetheless, if you think that you Umbreon can avoid statues status and if the low PPs don't rebute you aren't problematic despite the fact that Umbreon is such an entirely stall-based Pokemon, then you can take the more flexible recovery option in Moonlight should be taken into consideration.

Outisde Outside of its defensive utility, the main reason to use Umbreon is its ability to reliably weaken any Psychic- (AH) and Ghost-type (AH) Pokemon with Pursuit, something greatly appreciated by Pokemon such as Machamp or mono-attacking Snorlax. Umbreon is also a good pick on option for Spikes-based teams since it's the only viable Pursuit user which fairs well against the arguably best spinner available, Starmie, even though this one it doesn't have much trouble recovering afterwards since Umbreon doesn't hit hard enough to get rid of it. (AP) and you have to keep an eye on your PPs while trying to weaken Starmie. Nonetheless, the star Starmie won't escape from Umbreon without being intoxicated poisoned or significantly damaged most of the time, (RC) (AP). and if If Umbreon happens to pack Sleep Talk instead of Toxic, then your Spike setter should be able to inflict Starmie with poison to Starmie so you can still heavily pressure it with Umbreon can still heavily pressure it. Speaking of spinners, both Both Cloyster and Forretress are annoyed by Gengar and Misdreavus, so once again Pursuit is a great help. However, keep in mind that Umbreon's Special Attacker is so lackluster that Rest Misdreavus can stall it out.

[SET]

Set 2: Mean Look Pass
Move 1: Mean Look
Move 2: Baton Pass
Move 3: Charm / Confuse Ray
Move 4: Rest / Moonlight / Sand Attack

[SET COMMENTS]

With Mean Look and Baton Pass, Umbreon works as the bulkiest trap passer available. Charm still remains very useful against a ton of physical attackers, but here you have and Mean Look which prevents the opposing Pokemon to escape from escaping while its Attack stat keeps decreasing. Once you have used Mean Look and potentially Charm several times, use Baton Pass in order to bring an appropriate counter to face the trapped Pokemon or something which can safely set up on it and attempt a to sweep. Confuse Ray is the best option Umbreon has against the omnipresent phazers which are the biggest torn for this set and can be extremely frustrating for your opponent, especially when used in tandem with Mean Look since the opposing Pokemon will stay confused if it doesn't switch. However, (AC) it's an unreliable strategy this strategy is unreliable since it's based on luck, as the confusion mechanics imply that the opposing Pokemon will hit itself twice in a row 18, (RC) (AP) 75 (RS) % of the time, which may be too low to rely on. Rest remains as Umbreon's preferred recovery move due to its ability to heal off statues statuses and to PP stall a trapped Pokemon. However, this variant isn't as stall-based as the former, which means that Moonlight is still a solid option, especially when you can hardly afford to waste turns by putting Umbreon asleep with this set. Nonetheless, you can forget the healing move in favor of Sand Attack, which Sand Attack is another option that can be spammed in order to lower the accuracy of the opponent foe and is even more effective when used alongside Confuse Ray. It's also the best tool available in Umbreon's arsenal if it traps a special attacker.

While Leftovers remains the preferred option, Bright Powder can be considered to maximize your chances against opposing phazers.

As already said, Umbreon can't transfer Mean Look if there is at least one Pokemon able to phaze it in the opposing side team, the most common ones being Skarmory, Raikou, Suicune, Steelix, and Tyranitar. Thus, Pokemon that can lure most of them in like Lovely Kiss or All-out Attacker Snorlax makes good partners, keep in mind that the first three need to use Rest in order to heal themselves and they will rarely carry both Sleep Talk and Roar on the same moveset. As a consequence forcing them to do so by weakening them Forcing Skarmory, Raikou, and Suicune to use Rest by weakening them is also a good way to prevent them from disturbing Umbreon. (Them was very repetitive in this sentence, so I changed the wording a bit to help it flow better) Sturdy sweepers like Curse Snorlax or Vaporeon makes good teamates teammates since Umbreon can give them many opportunities to set up. Besides, Pokemon that naturally scare most of the aforementionned aforementioned phazers off like Nidoking and Cloyster, the latter in particular can use them as an opportunity to set up Spikes, (RC) are partners of choice as well, as this Umbreon variant can dry pass in order to bring its teamates teammates in safely. This strategy works especially well due to the huge threat of trap passing which almost guarantees that the opponent will bring a phazer in when facing this Umbreon.

[Other Options]

Zap Cannon is an option on some teams relying on paralysis alongside the likes of Tentacruel, Charizard, Marowak, and other sweepers, but otherwise Toxic is usually the best option for such a stall-based Pokemon, and the iffy accuracy of Zap cannon Cannon can ruin the surprise factor and make cause the opponent to be more careful. Speaking of Toxic, this move has some Toxic merits the Mean Look Pass set, as it puts phazers like Raikou, Tyranitar, and Suicune on a timer and forces these to use Rest if they pack it, but it's ineffective against Skarmory and Steelix and more situational than the options listed. Umbreon learns Growth and can transfer it via Baton Pass, and while it's still very weak even when boosted, (AC) unlike it's brothers Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Espeon, it can live much longer thanks to his its bulk, typing, (AC) and access to Moonlight. (AP) and It can also still dent Skarmory and Steelix with a +1 Hidden Power Fire, but other phazers like Raikou and Tyranitar make it completely useless. Umbreon also has access to both Curse and Substitute, but don't have much tool it doesn't have many moves to use in tandem with them in order to prevent phazers from doing their job.

[Checks and Counters]

When you don't know which Umbreon's variant you're facing, the The safest switch-in to Umbreon at your disposal are probably phazers immune to Toxic like Skarmory or Steelix, those which can cure themselves of poison via Rest like Raikou, Suicune, and Tyranitar are fine alternatives too. Heracross is one of Umbreon's biggest fear : counters, (AC) all it needs is to avoid Charm on the switch-in (RH) in order to put make a big dent with Megahorn, and it will carry Rest most of the time so Toxic won't disable it too much. Faster exploders like Cloyster and to a lesser extent Gengar are in the same vein but are obviously less reliable answers since they have to sacrifice themselves to weaken Umbreon. Most set-up sweepers can't take advantage of Umbreon's passivity because of Charm, but they there are are some exceptions like Growth Vaporeon which will boost its Special attack Attack in front of Umbreon fearlessly. Other examples are the uncommon Substitute users like Tentacruel and Kangaskhan since their substitute Substitute needs at least three hits of Pursuit to break. Belly Drum Snorlax is also a threat if Umbreon try tries to come switch in when it Snorlax boosts itself, other users of Belly Drum like Charizard, Clefable, and Quagsire are in a similar case. A common way to bypass Umbreon is to use statues status, (AC) as a paralysed paralyzed one is much more easy easier to break through for powerful attackers like Marowak and especially Machamp whereas an intoxicated poisoned one won't be able to stall against anything. Thus it will have no choice but to use Rest and try to stay healthy during two turns while being asleep. Outside of phazers, opposing Pokemon with Baton Pass are a big annoyance for the Mean Look variant. Once again, Pokemon immune to Toxic or with Rest doesn't don't fear anything from Umbreon, although they can't necessarily do much in return. Nonetheless, the likes of Zapdos still have the upper hand against Umbreon since they can simply force it to use Rest, trade PP with it, (AC) and potentially threaten pose a threat if their Thunder connects multiple times.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Umbreon is one of the toughest walls to bring down thanks to its stellar defensive stats and access to Charm which allows it to handle most physical threats, including the omnipresent Curse sweepers. It's also a solid Pursuit user despite being very weak offensively, (AC) since it doesn't fear much from Starmie and Dynamic Punch variants of Gengar, (AC) unlike its two main competitors, Tyranitar and Houndoom. Umbreon can also act as a trap passer with make good use of the combination of both Mean Look and Baton Pass, (AC) which is potentially very rewarding if the opponent's phazer is out.

However, with such poor offensive stats and movepool, Umbreon may be the most passive Pokemon in the tier as well as and is left too reliant on Toxic to do any sort of damage, which means it can't pose a threat to anything immune to Poison except Gengar. Umbreon itself heavily despises status and has to use Rest in order to escape from poison and paralysis, and even though it is extremely sturdy, it can be overwhelmed much more easily when it is asleep.

[SET]
Set 1: Charmer
Item: Leftovers

m
ove 1: Charm

[SET COMMENTS]
Charm is one of the main reasons why Umbreon is so hard to break through. The purpose of this move is to stop Curse sweepers like Snorlax in their tracks, essentially because Charm has twice the PP of Curse. It has plenty of other uses including softening the blow blows of Explosion and powerful hits from slower Pokemon like Exeggutor and even Machamp. Beware of the Cross Chop's high critical rate of Cross Chop in the case of Machamp, however. Pursuit allows Umbreon to wear down Pokemon like Exeggutor, Gengar, and Misdreavus, none of which can hit Umbreon it very hard without using Explosion, and punishes punishing them with hefty damage if they try to switch out. Toxic is the best option Umbreon has to weaken the foe and to force switches, (AC) which allows Umbreon to threatening non-Rest variants of Snorlax and Tyranitar. In conjuction conjunction with Pursuit and Spikes support, Toxic can wear down some Pokemon pretty easily. Finally, Rest is Umbreon's preferred recovery option, (AC) since it allows it to get rid of the a potential poison or paralysis, (AC) which prevent Umbreon to stall or to make a from stalling or making good use of Charm. Rest also notably enables Umbreon to check threats like Body Slam Snorlax more effectively. However, it disables puts Umbreon out of commission for two turns, making it more vulnerable to offensive pressure. Therefore, you can opt for Sleep Talk so Umbreon keeps fulfilling its tasks when asleep, at the cost of the residual damage provided by Toxic. Nonetheless, if Umbreon can avoid status and the low PPs aren't isn't problematic despite the fact that Umbreon is such an entirely stall-based Pokemon, then the its more flexible recovery option in Moonlight should be taken into consideration.

Outside of its defensive utility, the main reason to use Umbreon is its ability to reliably weaken any Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon with Pursuit, something greatly appreciated by Pokemon such as Machamp or mono-attacking Snorlax. Umbreon is also a good option for Spikes-based teams, (AC) since it's the only viable Pursuit user which fairs that fares well against the arguably best spinner available, Starmie; (SC) even though it Starmie doesn't have much trouble recovering afterwards, (AC) since Umbreon doesn't hit hard enough to get rid of it, (comma) Nonetheless, Starmie it won't escape from Umbreon without being poisoned or significantly damaged most of the time. If Umbreon happens to pack Sleep Talk instead of Toxic, then your Spike Spikes setter should be able to inflict Starmie with poison so Umbreon can still heavily pressure it. Both Cloyster and Forretress are annoyed by Gengar and Misdreavus, so once again Pursuit is a great help. However, keep in mind that Umbreon's Special Attack is so lackluster that Rest Misdreavus can stall it out.

[SET]
Set 2 name: Mean Look + Baton Pass

[SET COMMENTS]
With Mean Look and Baton Pass, Umbreon works as the bulkiest trap passer available. Charm still remains very useful against a ton of physical attackers, and it pairs well with Mean Look prevents to prevent the opposing Pokemon from escaping while its Attack stat keeps decreasing. Once you have used Mean Look and potentially Charm several times, use Baton Pass in order to bring an appropriate counter to face the trapped Pokemon or something which a teammate that can safely set up on it and attempt to sweep. Confuse Ray is the best option Umbreon has against the omnipresent phazers which that are the biggest torn for thorn in this set's side and can be extremely frustrating for your opponent, especially when used in tandem with Mean Look since the opposing Pokemon will stay confused if it doesn't switch. However, this strategy is unreliable since it's based on luck, as the confusion mechanics imply that and the odds of the opposing Pokemon will hit hitting itself twice in a row 18,75% of the time, which may be too low to rely on. Rest remains as Umbreon's preferred recovery move due to its ability to heal off statuses status ailments and to PP stall a trapped Pokemon. However, this variant isn't as stall based (RH) as the former, which means that Moonlight is still a solid option, especially when you can hardly afford to waste turns by putting Umbreon asleep with this set. Sand Attack is another option that can be spammed in order to lower the accuracy of the foe and is even more effective when used alongside Confuse Ray. It's also the best tool available in Umbreon's arsenal if it traps a special attacker. While Leftovers remains the preferred item option, Bright Powder can be considered to maximize your chances against opposing phazers.

Umbreon can't transfer Mean Look if there is at least one Pokemon able to phaze it in on the opposing team, with the most common ones being Skarmory, Raikou, Suicune, Steelix, and Tyranitar. Thus, Pokemon that can lure most of them in like Lovely Kiss or all-out attacker Snorlax make good partners; (SC) keep in mind that the first three need to use Rest in order to heal themselves and that they will rarely carry both Sleep Talk and Roar on the same moveset. Forcing Skarmory, Raikou, and Suicune to use Rest is also a good way to prevent them from disturbing Umbreon. Sturdy sweepers like Curse Snorlax or and Vaporeon make good teammates, (AC) since Umbreon can give them many opportunities to set up. Pokemon that naturally scare off most of the aforementioned phazers off like Nidoking and Cloyster are good partners as well, as this Umbreon variant can also bring teammates in safely with a dry Baton Pass; (SC) the latter in particular can use them as an opportunity to set up Spikes are partners of choice as well, as this Umbreon variant can dry pass in order to bring its teammates in safely. This strategy works especially well due to the huge threat of trap passing which almost guarantees guaranteeing that the opponent will bring a phazer in when facing this Umbreon.

[Other Options]

Zap Cannon is an option on some teams relying on paralysis alongside the likes of sweepers like Tentacruel, Charizard, and Marowak, and other sweepers on some teams relying on paralysis; (SC, otherwise, (AC) Toxic is usually the best option for such a stall-based Pokemon, and the iffy questionable accuracy of Zap Cannon can cause the opponent to be more careful. Toxic has some merits on the Mean Look Pass set, as it puts phazers like Raikou, Tyranitar, and Suicune on a timer and forces these them to use Rest if they pack it, but it's ineffective against Skarmory and Steelix and more situational than the options listed. Umbreon learns Growth and can transfer it via Baton Pass it, and while it's still very weak even when boosted, it can live long enough thanks to its bulk, typing, and access to Moonlight. It can also dent Skarmory and Steelix with a +1 Hidden Power Fire, but other phazers like Raikou and Tyranitar make it completely useless. Umbreon also has access to both Curse and Substitute, but it doesn't have many moves to use in tandem with them in order to prevent phazers from doing their job.

[Checks and Counters]

The safest switch-in switch-ins to Umbreon at your disposal are phazers immune to Toxic like Skarmory or and Steelix, though those which that can cure themselves of poison via Rest like Raikou, Suicune, and Tyranitar are fine alternatives too. Heracross is one of Umbreon's biggest counters; (SC) all it needs is to avoid Charm on the switch in in order to make leave a big dent with Megahorn, and it will carry carries Rest most of the time, (AC) so Toxic won't disable cripple it too much. Faster exploders Explosion users like Cloyster and to a lesser extent Gengar are in the same vein can also threaten Umbreon if they can avoid Charm, (? not sure if i understood the similarity properly) but they are obviously less reliable answers, (AC) since they have to sacrifice themselves to weaken Umbreon. Most set-up setup sweepers can't take advantage of Umbreon's passivity because of Charm, but there are some exceptions like Growth Vaporeon, (AC) which will boost its Special Attack in front of Umbreon fearlessly. Other examples are the uncommon Substitute users like Tentacruel and Kangaskhan, (AC) since their Substitute needs at least three hits of Pursuit to break. Belly Drum Snorlax is also a threat if Umbreon tries to switch in when Snorlax boosts itself, and other users of Belly Drum like Charizard, Clefable, and Quagsire are a similar case. A common way to bypass Umbreon is to use status, as a paralyzed one is much easier to break through for powerful attackers like Marowak and especially Machamp, (AC) whereas a poisoned one won't be able to stall against out anything. Thus it Umbreon will have no choice but to use Rest and try to stay healthy during two turns while being asleep. Outside of phazers, opposing Pokemon with Baton Pass are a big annoyance for the Mean Look variant. Once again, Pokemon immune to Toxic or with Rest don't fear anything from Umbreon, although they can't necessarily do much in return. Nonetheless, the likes of Zapdos still have the upper hand against Umbreon, (AC) since they can simply force it to use Rest, trade PP with it, and potentially pose a threat threaten it if their Thunder connects multiple times.

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
remove additions (comments)

[OVERVIEW]

Umbreon is one of the toughest walls to bring down thanks to its stellar defensive stats and access to Charm to handle most physical threats, including the omnipresent Curse sweepers. It's also a solid Pursuit user despite being very weak offensively, since it doesn't fear much from Starmie and Dynamic Punch Gengar, unlike its two main competitors, Tyranitar and Houndoom. Umbreon can also make good use of the combination of Mean Look and Baton Pass, which is potentially very rewarding if the opponent's phazer is out.

However, with such poor offensive stats and movepool, Umbreon may be the most passive Pokemon in the tier and is left too reliant on Toxic to do any sort of damage, which means it can't pose a threat to anything immune to poison except Gengar. Umbreon itself heavily despises status and has to use Rest in order to escape from poison and paralysis, and even though it is extremely sturdy, it can be overwhelmed much more easily when it is asleep.

[SET]
move 1: Charm

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Charm is one of the main reasons why Umbreon is so hard to break through. The purpose of this move is to stop Curse sweepers like Snorlax in their tracks, essentially because Charm has twice the PP of Curse. It has plenty of other uses including softening the blows of Explosion and powerful hits from slower Pokemon like Exeggutor and even Machamp. Beware of Cross Chop's high critical rate in the case of Machamp, however. Pursuit allows Umbreon to wear down Pokemon like Exeggutor, Gengar, and Misdreavus, none of which can hit it very hard without using Explosion, punishing them with hefty damage if they try to switch out. (Exeggutor is listed here as something that can't hit Umbreon hard, but is also listed as a slower Pokemon with powerful hits just two sentences earlier. Is there a better example here? Or is this okay?) Toxic is the best option Umbreon has to weaken the foe and to force switches, threatening non-Rest variants of Snorlax and Tyranitar. In conjunction with Pursuit and Spikes support, Toxic can wear down some Pokemon pretty easily. Finally, Rest is Umbreon's preferred recovery option, since it allows it to get rid of a potential poison or paralysis, which prevent Umbreon from stalling or making good use of Charm. Rest also notably enables Umbreon to check threats like Body Slam Snorlax more effectively. However, it puts Umbreon out of commission for two turns, making it more vulnerable to offensive pressure. Therefore, you can opt for Sleep Talk so Umbreon keeps fulfilling its tasks when asleep, at the cost of the residual damage provided by Toxic. Nonetheless, if Umbreon can avoid status and the low amount of PP isn't problematic despite the fact that Umbreon is an entirely stall-based Pokemon, its more flexible recovery option in Moonlight should be taken into consideration.

Team Options
========

Outside of its defensive utility, the main reason to use Umbreon is its ability to reliably weaken any Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon with Pursuit, something greatly appreciated by Pokemon such as Machamp or mono-attacking Snorlax. Umbreon is also a good option for Spikes-based teams, since it's the only viable Pursuit user that fares well against the arguably best spinner available, Starmie; even though Starmie doesn't have much trouble recovering afterwards, since Umbreon doesn't hit hard enough to get rid of it, it won't escape from Umbreon without being poisoned or significantly damaged most of the time. If Umbreon happens to pack Sleep Talk instead of Toxic, your Spikes setter should be able to inflict Starmie with poison so Umbreon can still heavily pressure it. Both Cloyster and Forretress are annoyed by Gengar and Misdreavus, so once again Pursuit is a great help. However, keep in mind that Umbreon's Special Attack is so lackluster that Rest Misdreavus can stall it out.

[SET]
name: Mean Look + Baton Pass

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

With Mean Look and Baton Pass, Umbreon works as the bulkiest trap passer available. Charm remains very useful against a ton of physical attackers, and it pairs well with Mean Look to prevent the opposing Pokemon from escaping while its Attack stat keeps decreasing. Once you have used Mean Look and potentially Charm several times, use Baton Pass in order to bring in an appropriate counter to face the trapped Pokemon or a teammate that can safely set up on it and attempt to sweep. Confuse Ray is the best option Umbreon has against the omnipresent phazers that are the biggest thorn in this set's side and can be extremely frustrating for your opponent, especially when used in tandem with Mean Look. However, this strategy is unreliable since it's based on luck, and the odds of the opposing Pokemon hitting itself twice in a row may be too low to rely on. Rest remains Umbreon's preferred recovery move due to its ability to heal off status ailments and to PP stall a trapped Pokemon. However, this variant isn't as stall based as the former, which means that Moonlight is still a solid option, especially when you can hardly afford to waste turns by putting Umbreon asleep with this set. Sand Attack is another option that can be spammed in order to lower the accuracy of the foe and is even more effective when used alongside Confuse Ray. It's also the best tool available in Umbreon's arsenal if it traps a special attacker. While Leftovers remains the preferred item option, Bright Powder can be considered to maximize your chances against opposing phazers.

Team Options
========

Umbreon can't transfer Mean Look if there is at least one Pokemon able to phaze it on the opposing team, with the most common ones being Skarmory, Raikou, Suicune, Steelix, and Tyranitar. Thus, Pokemon that can lure most of them in like Lovely Kiss or all-out attacker Snorlax make good partners; keep in mind that the first three need to use Rest in order to heal themselves and that they will rarely carry both Sleep Talk and Roar on the same moveset. Forcing Skarmory, Raikou, and or Suicune to use Rest is also a good way to prevent them from disturbing Umbreon. Sturdy sweepers like Curse Snorlax and Vaporeon make good teammates, since Umbreon can give them many opportunities to set up. Pokemon that naturally scare off most of the aforementioned phazers like Nidoking and Cloyster are good partners as well, as this Umbreon variant can also bring teammates in safely with a dry Baton Pass; the latter in particular can use them as an opportunity to set up Spikes. This strategy works especially well due to the huge threat of trap passing almost guaranteeing that the opponent will bring a phazer in when facing this Umbreon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Zap Cannon is an option alongside sweepers like Tentacruel, Charizard, and Marowak on some teams relying on paralysis; otherwise, Toxic is usually the best option for such a stall-based Pokemon, and the questionable accuracy of Zap Cannon can cause the opponent to be more careful. (Not sure I understand this sentence entirely. How does the questionable accuracy of ZC cause an opponent to "be more careful" with what are essentially free turns when you miss? Not super important, as I think the analysis is already clear on why Toxic is more useful, but potentially worth rewording.) Toxic has some merits on the Mean Look Pass set, as it puts phazers like Raikou, Tyranitar, and Suicune on a timer and forces them to use Rest if they pack it, but it's ineffective against Skarmory and Steelix and more situational than the options listed. Umbreon learns Growth and can Baton Pass it, and while it's still very weak even when boosted, it can live long enough thanks to its bulk, typing, and access to Moonlight. It can also dent Skarmory and Steelix with a +1 Hidden Power Fire, but other phazers like Raikou and Tyranitar make it completely useless. Umbreon also has access to both Curse and Substitute, but it doesn't have many moves to use in tandem with them in order to prevent phazers from doing their job.

Checks and Counters
===================

The safest switch-ins to Umbreon at your disposal are phazers immune to Toxic like Skarmory and Steelix, though those that can cure themselves of poison via Rest like Raikou, Suicune, and Tyranitar are fine alternatives too. Heracross is one of Umbreon's biggest counters; all it needs is to avoid Charm on the switch in order to leave a big dent with Megahorn, and it carries Rest most of the time, so Toxic won't cripple it too much. Faster Explosion users like Cloyster and to a lesser extent Gengar can also threaten Umbreon if they can avoid Charm, but they are obviously less reliable answers, since they have to sacrifice themselves to weaken Umbreon. Most setup sweepers can't take advantage of Umbreon's passivity because of Charm, but there are some exceptions like Growth Vaporeon, which will boost its Special Attack in front of Umbreon fearlessly. Other examples are uncommon Substitute users like Tentacruel and Kangaskhan, since their Substitute needs at least three hits of Pursuit to break. Belly Drum Snorlax is also a threat if Umbreon tries to switch in when Snorlax boosts itself, and other users of Belly Drum like Charizard, Clefable, and Quagsire are a similar case. A common way to bypass Umbreon is to use status, as a paralyzed one is much easier to break through for powerful attackers like Marowak and especially Machamp, whereas a poisoned one won't be able to stall out anything. Thus Umbreon will have no choice but to use Rest and try to stay healthy during two turns while asleep. Outside of phazers, opposing Pokemon with Baton Pass are a big annoyance for the Mean Look variant. Once again, Pokemon immune to Toxic or with Rest don't fear anything from Umbreon, although they can't necessarily do much in return. Nonetheless, the likes of Zapdos still have the upper hand against Umbreon, since they can simply force it to use Rest, trade PP with it, and potentially threaten it if their Thunder connects multiple times.

:umbreon: I made three changes to this, lol. I did leave some comments though for potential consideration. This should be GP 2/2 anyway.

contrib_gp.png

Last edited:
Implemented.

As a clarification, I think that mentioning Exeggutor twice within the same paragraph isn't really an issue. I wanted to emphasizes Umbreon's great matchup against it due to its Charm + Pursuit, which I think is pretty important. Furthermore, it is specified that Eggy can't hit Umbreon hard without using Explosion in the second sentence. It is also listed as a notable Charm target as it is slower than Umbreon and can't threaten hit with Explosion if its Attack is cut.

I tried to elaborate the part about Zap Cannon though.

Thank you anyway. This is now ready for upload Excal Earthworm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)