Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Should I drop Hp ice or U turn for Z Fly defensive Lando?
ZFly defensive Lando was good when Stall was big and Tangrowth was on every other team but it's not that good anymore because defensive Lando really wants its item and you can use your zmove on a different mon, if you wanna use it tho I'd drop ice since U-Turn is nice for pivoting around and you can dent most ice targets with the zmove

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
What do I need to do to join the OU council?
Like Jord-e said, there are no set things you have to do, but in addition to what they said you should also try to be a helpful, informed, and mature member of the community who is knowledgeable about the metagame (as was said above) and displays good sportsmanship, etc.

Hi, out of curiosity: on what criteria does one unban a pokemon of Uber (banned for one generation and retest the next gen)? For example in Gen 6, we had:
* quickbans: Deoxys-N, Blaziken, Gengarite, Kangaskhanite and Salamencite
* suspect-test: Lucarionite, Genesect, Deoxys-S, Deoxys-D, Aegislash, Mawilite, Greninja, Landorus-I, Shadow Tag, Hoopa-U and Sablenite (I do not count Metagrossite)

It seems to me that Darkrai, Shaymin-S and Deoxys-A were very briefly in OU during BW (it's more for the anecdote)

The unbans in Gen 7 are: Greninja, Hoopa-U, Mawilite, Sablenite, Genesect, Aegislash and Landorus-I (the last three are returned in Uber). It is understandable that those are the pokes that have been the subject of a past suspect who can return to OU. So, why not retest Deoxys-S, Deoxys-D and Shadow Tag in Gen 7 (Lucarionite is less obvious)?

Aegislash is the only one in Gen 6 who returned to OU the time of a suspect (in May 2015). On what criteria? Can we imagine a retest of Metagrossite or Pheromosa (for example) in one or two years?

If we look at Gen 8, we can reasonably imagine the return of Gsect, Lando-I, Aegi or Deoxys? It's just once again out of curiosity

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Im trying to get back into competitive OU, stopped playing back in the D/P meta. So im hoping someone might be able to channel me to the correct resources to get back into the competitive scene.

Thanks in advance

Hi everyone. Im trying to get back into competitive OU, stopped playing back in the D/P meta. So im hoping someone might be able to channel me to the correct resources to get back into the competitive scene.

Thanks in advance
Sample Teams Thread
VR Thread as well as the Sets VR Thread
Speed Tiers
Cores Thread
Role Compedium
Playstyle Analysis

All of these threads should be able to give you a grasp of the current metagame. Check the rules for the OU forums here, and make sure to check out other community threads, which can also be of help to you. If you're looking for more tournament related stuff, here's the link to the tournaments forum, as well as the SPL 9 and Official Smogon Tour subforums.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion

Thanks in advance
In addition to what Eden said, remember, you can always ask the people in the OU room on Showdown for questions about the metagame if you're not sure about something or just have a general question about the OU meta :)

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Is Encore better than Fake Out on a Mega Lopunny set?
It's not strictly better, Lopunny can perform somewhat of a different role depending on what you run on it with Encore+PuP letting it annoy walls like Pex and Fake Out 3 Atks letting it annoy offense and bulky offense. Just use what fits your team's necessities best

It's not strictly better, Lopunny can perform somewhat of a different role depending on what you run on it with Encore+PuP letting it annoy walls like Pex and Fake Out 3 Atks letting it annoy offense and bulky offense. Just use what fits your team's necessities best
What would Fake Out annoy on bulky offense?

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Would defining the OU metagame count as being centralizing?
Since it seems you're referencing Landorus-T, I'd like to point you towards a quote from ABR in the Landorus Policy Review Thread:
ABR said:
To quote the specific tiering policy thread, the most relevant part that refers to usage is as follows:

"They are broken because they almost dictate / require usage, and a standard team facing a standard team with one of them would be at a drastic disadvantage. These examples limit team building skill."

Even if Landorus has 90% usage in SPL week 1 (it won't always be this high), this does not mean that Landorus is truly mandatory. There have been countless Lando-less victories in SM OU and the non-lando user is by no means "drastically disadvantaged" due to this fact alone.
And to directly answer your question—yes, defining the OU metagame counts as being centralizing, but because Landorus doesn't restrict team building the way Aegislash or other past bans have, it isn't overcentralizing and doesn't negatively impact the tier enough to warrant a suspect/ban at this point.

So I thought that bulky steel types were mandatory to succeed in the metagame, but then I saw some sample teams that don’t have a bulky steel. Is a bulky steel mandatory?

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
So I thought that bulky steel types were mandatory to succeed in the metagame, but then I saw some sample teams that don’t have a bulky steel. Is a bulky steel mandatory?
Every sample team has AV gear or Ferro, with the exception of the first one which has double steel + AV bulu (while bulu isnt a steel it checks lele which is what the steel is there for to soft check it)

Id say having a steel type is probably mandatory at this point in sm just so you have a soft pivot into dangerous threats like lele, they do so much. Scarf zone and av bulu on the first team together fulfill the role of being a soft pivot into lele

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)