SM UU Pokemon UU-sed to be fun...Aerodactyl Balance

Who needs to get voted off UU Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hey guys, Krookoking back again with an UU RMT. I haven't posted in forever, partially due to laziness, and well, because the meta kinda sucks...Let me elaborate. I feel with the recent release of Sun and Moon, the entire game was flipped on its head, which is to be expected with the release of a new generation. However, its my personal opinion that the UU meta in particular received the most drastic changes. The Under Used tier is unstable, and rather than coming in singular packages, new Pokemon come in huge waves. With suspect test after suspect test, it has become nauseating to play, and frustrating to watch. Things like Mega Pidgeot, Weavile, Mega Gardevoir, and Primarina should really be evaluated. Though all of the aforementioned mons take massive dumps on stall which, I am very grateful for. This is me just ranting about petty personal gripes, but I hope you all can at least agree with some of my thoughts. I still love this game, unfortunate it doesn't love me back. On to the team...

I'm a big fan of fat Pokemon, and admittedly walk the fine line between stall and skill. I think this team has just enough offensive presence to distinguish it however. It's a fairly new build for me, though nothing ground breaking. It's simply a fun team that brings results.

Aerodactyl (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

• Aerodactyl is a top tier threat in the UU meta and will continue to be for as long as the tier exists. On this particular team, Mega Aerodactyl serves to provide significant cleaning, trapping, and defensive tools to aid its team members. Aerodactyl's janitorial role needs no explanation, picking off weaker threats to aid a later sweep. The main purpose for Aerodactyl is to out speed and remove threats like Mega Beedrill and trap problem Pokemon like Celebi and Latias. Due to its rock typing, Aerodactyl can take full advantage of Hippo's sand, giving it enough bulk to soft check/take on and Pursuit trap a variety of special threats like Mega Sceptile, Mega Altaria, Chandelure, and especially Mega Pidgeot. Because of its lack of power, it's not doing much sweeping, but again, that's not why it's here. The spread is standard and so is the set. I've considered Fire-Fang over Wing Attack to catch annoying Scizors off guard, let me know what you think.

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

• I really love this mon's design first off, and it's a product of my favorite generation, DPP. Hippowdon, affectionately referred to as Hippo is an essential component to this team's functionality. She provides invaluable Stealth Rock to provide necessary chip, excellent ground typing to sponge electric and rock attacks, as well as efficient recovery for longevity. Sand gives Aero a boost in Sp. Def, erodes (pun intended??) would be Scizor checks, as well as stacking damage when paired with Toxic. The set is very standard and so are the moves. Toxic was chosen to wear down Latias, who can recover but can't cure status as well as Mandibuzz on the switch, since they often run Taunt. Overall she's a great check to numerous threats.

Slowbro (M) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

• This meaty man is the main star. It's sad seeing such a good Pokemon plummet to virtually bottom tier but if it were any better, I wouldn't get to play with it. I wanted to use a Slowbro and so this team was built around him. Slowbro acts as a sweeper late game and a wall/check otherwise. Essentially, it comes in, takes a hit, burns/chips with Scald, and then proceeds to switch out and regenerate. Once specific problem Pokemon have been removed, Slowbro comes in to take the remaining Pokemon on a date. A few Calm Minds and well timed Slack Offs make Slowbro a near unstoppable force. When paired with Waterium Z to over power stubborn checks, Slowbro is not to be underestimated.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Clear Smog

• Amoonguss has incredible type synergy with Slowbro (regenerator core) as well as Hippowdon. It absorbs hits from broken mons like Primarina, takes switch-ins to bed, clears away stat boosts, and eliminates Toxic Spikes. Really nothing else to say I mean it's pretty straightforward.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

• This Pokemon is too good for UU in my opinion, yet its utility in this meta makes it almost obligatory. If you're not running one, you're missing out. Her main job is to Defog, outplay and remove threats, and check certain special attacks with her amazing type synergy with the rest of the cast. Life Orb for power, Psyshock for special tanks, HP fire for the Pokemon below and Kelfki to some degree, and Draco to blow back anything not resisting, and to keep Aim's dream alive.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

• Scizor is not a Pokemon I particularly enjoy using. But I'm a joyless adult who can admit when something is really good, and proceed to take advantage of it. If Slowbro took people on dates like a (even if somewhat special) respectable person, Scizor is the equivalent of...well...date rape. Forgive me. In seriousness, he provides more offensive presence, and is less passive in his sweeping than Bro. Great priority, great utility, and great recovery make Scizor mandatory. It takes on weaker, resisted hits, then U-turns or recovers/U-turns to safely bring in Regenerator walls, flying rock birds, or Hippos that throw rocks.

And that's all folks. Not much else to say. Test the team, and enjoy. Feedback is appreciated. I will have more offensive teams coming in the future if the star Pokemon doesn't get banned. If it does, feathers will fly...

Threats: (Not Ordered)

1. Crawdaunt (really any uber powerful attacker that cannot be hard walled)
  2. Altaria w/Fire Blast
  3. Gardevoir
  4. Primarina
  5. Blastoise - This boi drops me on my neck every time. Insane coverage and fat skin, but can be out played.
  6. Alolan-Muk (Kinda...I mean it's awful but some how works)
  7. Bulky Water/Steel types that cannot be worn down or overpowered
Import:
Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Slowbro (M) @ Waterium Z
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Clear Smog

Aerodactyl (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Scizor @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

I took it for a spin and liked your team. Always loved UU since 5th gen. Gardevoir can usually be punched with Mega Aero, but I found Weaviles to be a psuedo issue for this team. For starters, four of your pokes are ice weak and slowbro is weak to dark. If scizor has taken any damage, it can be a touch problematic as there aren't a ton of safe switches into him (although scizor can come in for a revenge, or beneficial u-turn). Only thing I have done is tried to make sure rocks stay up early, and keep my scizor's hp as high as possible, but are there any tips from you with how to deal with Weavile? In comparison, I find him harder to deal with than Mega Gardevoir.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey! I really like the team's main idea but this archetype feels a bit outdated, with all the new threats whom dropped.

I will be honest with you, I found it really hard to rate the team without completely changing the main idea of the team, as almost every change left the team with other weaknesses. I tried my best to rate the team without opening the door for other weaknesses.

• - I have hard feelings towards Hippowdon in the current metagame, many of the new Pokémon just take advantage of it pretty easily; some of them are Cleric Mega Altaria, Mega Gardevoir, Primarina and Crawdaunt. I feel like Jirachi is a better option here; Specially defensive with Stealth Rock specifically. It will help you a lot against some of the threats you mentioned.
  • - To help with the ridiculous fairies weakness, Sludge Bomb > Clear Smog is a change I feel your team would appreciate. While having the option to remove stat-boosts from an opposing Pokémon, your team would make much more use of another way to hit hard fairies.
  • - Calm Mind Mega Latias with BoltBeam coverage feels like a better alternative to a wallbreaker Latias. It just works so well paired with Calm Mind Slowbro and also helps you with checking Crawdaunt, another threat to your team.
  • - Another ridiculous weakness I noticed on your team is to SD Scizor. If an offensive SD Scizor sets up, it is pretty much guaranteed to win after some prior damage on Hippowdon and Mega Latias. Since you also lost a wallbreaker after the replacement of Latias' item and moveset, Choice Scarf Infernape sounds like a cool choice here that helps you with checking SD Scizor and faster threats such as Choice Scarf Hydreigon, Mega Gardevoir and et cetera.
I hope I helped with your team! If you have any further question, don't hestitate to contact me by either an PM or an VM!

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect

Slowbro (M) @ Waterium Z
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat / Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Scizor @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey, man. Cool team you've got there. I have some changes that you could try out to hopefully improve its performance.

I noticed that this team is extremely vulnerable to a couple of major threats in Scizor, Mega Sharpedo, and even Latias. The next few changes will help mostly with patching up those weaknesses. Of course, they also come with additional benefits.

The first of these changes is to replace Slowbro with Mantine. What this change does is give you pretty solid answer to Scizor while also freeing Latias of having to be your defogger. Mantine also helps your team deal with threats such as Nidoking. Additionally, getting rid of Slowbro means that your team is less vulnerable to Pursuit trappers, most notably Weavile. Here's the set:

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Roost
- Defog

I would also recommend replacing Amoonguss with Cobalion. Firstly, this change takes pressure off of Mantine as being your only check to Scizor. Cobalion also gives your team a mandatory answer to Mega Sharpedo, and an additional answer to Weavile. I suggest running the Rock Polish + Swords Dance set with Fightinium-Z. This makes up for the loss of a wincon in Slowbro and also gives you more speed control. Here's the set:

Cobalion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Since your team has a new defogger, I think it would be best if you opted for Scarf Latias. This gives the team even better speed control and takes some pressure off of Cobalion to check Sharpedo by either outpacing it at +1 or healing up Cobalion late game with Healing Wish. Of course, you can give a different member of the team a second chance instead if it seems fit. Running a Choice Scarf on Latias also means that you do not have to depend on Scizor to check opposing Latias, assuming that they are not running a Choice Scarf as well. For Latias' final move slot, I would suggest running Ice Beam, primarily for Gliscor. Here's the set:

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Healing Wish

I also noticed that your team could be quite vulnerable to fairies like Mega Gardevoir and Mega Altaria. I suggest turning Scizor into a Choice Band variant. This means that it has far more immediate power, significantly increasing its odds of stopping a Mega Altaria from sweeping. With Pursuit, you can also potentially remove or at least severely weaken Mega Gardevoir after switching into it, as well as Latias. I also suggest giving a considerable amount of investment into its bulk so that it can better handle hits. This would mean passing up on speed but that is not necessarily bad, as Scizor can be used for a slow U-turn user in order to gain momentum. Here's the set:

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Since you have Scizor as a Pursuit user now, Pursuit on Mega Aerodactyl isn't as useful as it was before. I think it would be a good idea for you to try out Hone Claws on it. Many teams aren't prepared for Mega Aerodactyl as much as they would like to be as is. Hone Claws allows Mega Aerodactyl to be that much more of a threat and gives it a tool to power through many common defensive cores. This also makes up for losing your previous Scizor set as a wincon.

Lastly, I suggest replacing Toxic with Whirlwind on Hippowdon. This is a small but significant change, as Hippowdon can be very passive and does not want to afford giving free turns to setup sweepers such as Scizor and Gliscor. Though Toxic can sometimes be useful, it is usually not worth the trouble of giving up Whirlwind.

I hope this helped, and good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)