Doubles National Dex Doubles OU - Metagame Discussion - Survey @ Post 106!

eragon

:gaming:
is a Tiering Contributor
rant incoming as I've had an epiphany/woke up to two of the dumbest replays I've ever seen in this tier (1,2) (speaking just for myself ofc)

I've been around this tier since the very beginning, from the first day Mega Gengar was legal, to the days of Genesect ohko'ing tapu fini with espeed, to the NDPL Zygarde meta, to the coaching idiocy just a few months ago. This has always been a very freewheeling tier with a special and unique identity of basically being "DOU's Greatest Hits", and preserving this identity is something that always needs to be kept in mind. From the way I see it, this philosophy has been the single biggest contributor to the state of the tier at any given time: the power level has always been extremely high between the megas, z-moves, mons that aren't legal in any other dou tier, and all the inherent degeneracy of SV's mons(and I think this is primarily a good thing).

However, despite having some really insane mons legal during this tier's life, I've never felt the tier was so uninteresting as it is now. Banning shifu (a really stupid mon that shouldn't be legal in any doubles metagame) has unfortunately messed things up and predictably exposed just how dumb a lot of the mons in this tier really are. Maybe it's just me talking here but I find this metagame dominated by 4 pokemon (Marshadow, Megagross, Zamazenta, and to a lesser extent, Jirachi) that almost certainly won't be legal in any other doubles format with the tools they have here to feel really stupid and unfair. These mons generally just outclass everything else, stat-checking the vast majority of legal mons- when I watch a replay I feel like my first thought (as a player well-versed in the metagame) shouldn't always universally be "why is this legal bruh".

More in-depth thoughts:

:zamazenta:
man. For a very long time stretching back to gen 8 I actually wanted to see how this mon would play in a DOU-level format. After seeing this thing legal for almost a year in this tier, I now regret that position more than any other meta take I've ever had playing mons. The other day I realized that this mon has been the biggest spoiler for the enjoyment of the tier for the majority of its history. It has too many stats to be as fast as it is, and was one of the two big coaching mons while that was legal, probably more unhealthily than zeraora imo (as zera always feels like a more balanced mon in general).
Now, as a result of the context of the metagame, this mon has found another route to causing me to log off the website: the generally physical-heavy metagame and absence of Shifu has led to the rise of IDBP Zama. This was the primary driver of me making this post, as this iron press set feels really dumb from the games I've seen- I don't think iron-press mons are supposed to simultaneously be damn near unkillable (with some variance depending on the matchup) and be the fastest thing in the metagame. I'd like to see this removed personally, but I think other things are likely a priority, as if more special attackers were actually viable I think this mon might be a bit more healthy (tera steel walls the majority of good special attackers that can hit it at the moment).

I really wish we didn't free this mon back at the start of the tier but realistically it's a good thing because now we have enough evidence to bar this mf from being legal in any current gen DOU tier as long as it learns coaching and body press. o7

:Marshadow:
This guy is a pretty fun hyper offensive mon in concept so I'm not upset that we've had this legal for so long but I think with the way the powerlevel has shaken out with the last few bans it might be almost time for this guy to go. This one's pretty simple: it just hits really really hard and with shadow sneak doing so much and hitting the entire tier with unresisted stab coverage (except zoroark-hisui) it's really difficult to outposition. The majority of my losses from laddering ladder tour were from various shadow sneak speedties between Marshadows where I didn't have any other options available to me. It's far from the worst offender on this list here, I def think there's bigger priorities, but we need to keep on this one: it's banned from SM and SS for a reason and realistically with the tier settling a bit in terms of powerlevel Marsh can't really be a player anymore.

:Jirachi:
This is a really solid mon but I don't realllllyyyy understand the hate it's gotten throughout the the tier. Follow Me is admittedly pretty stupid on 100/100/100 bulk but I think it's typing in this metagame is a bit outshadowed by a more broken mon and as a result suffers from having to deal with a lot of attackers that match up well into it typing wise. I'd honestly rather have wellspring on most teams at the moment for how valuable its typing is, but I have to concede that realistically if we get rid of a few things this mon is probably also dumb, I just don't quite see it on the same level of the other mons I'm discussing here. Should be looked at in the future, but at least for me it's very very far from the first priority and I think it's reasonably dealt with currently.

and now for the actual culprit I think needs immediate action:

:Metagross-Mega:
What if you took the best mega in SM, gave it dynamic speed support, a variety of new partners that punish intimidate, and a 120 base power stab move (boosted by it's ability)? Yea. That's Mega Metagross. This behemoth almost entirely outclasses every other mega to the point I'd almost never run any of the others even on teams where they seem like they'd fit. The damage this mon does with heavy slam is really bad for this tier in terms of power level and centralization and I think we'd really see a lot of benefits if we just took it off the table. I don't think any of the other mons here are even close to how stupid this mon is, it trades favorably literally every time, threatens the strongest special attacker with bullet punch, forces torn to run a ridiculous amount of defense investment just to not get ohko'd by a neutral move, ohko's rilla with a pao switch-in, and 2hko's incin after intimidate. There's very little consistent counterplay to this mon as heavy slam will torch even resists for huge amounts when they try to switch in. We quickbanned terapagos for less. Please ban.

TLDR:
This tier is currently at a crossroads between the way it's been treated up until now and creating an actually playable format. Personally, I think we need to just get rid of the broken stuff once and for all and finish what we started with banning shifu. It's fun to play with broken stuff for a little bit but we're approaching the one-year anniversary of the tier and I don't think it's sustainable to keep Natdex Doubles as the safe space for DOU's historically banned mons.
IMO the next steps should probably be:
Ban metagross --> ban zama --> see what marsh/jirachi are like after

I Do think ban mgross and zama At the same time would be better. I Dont see Jirachi nearly as broken as marsh, and imo Raging bolt is more concerning. Tera Fairy bolt is EVIL and I hope there's no redirection Because spread moves WONT be enough to kill it. Atm what REALLY breaks the tier is Zama and mgross.

rant incoming as I've had an epiphany/woke up to two of the dumbest replays I've ever seen in this tier (1,2) (speaking just for myself ofc)

I've been around this tier since the very beginning, from the first day Mega Gengar was legal, to the days of Genesect ohko'ing tapu fini with espeed, to the NDPL Zygarde meta, to the coaching idiocy just a few months ago. This has always been a very freewheeling tier with a special and unique identity of basically being "DOU's Greatest Hits", and preserving this identity is something that always needs to be kept in mind. From the way I see it, this philosophy has been the single biggest contributor to the state of the tier at any given time: the power level has always been extremely high between the megas, z-moves, mons that aren't legal in any other dou tier, and all the inherent degeneracy of SV's mons(and I think this is primarily a good thing).

However, despite having some really insane mons legal during this tier's life, I've never felt the tier was so uninteresting as it is now. Banning shifu (a really stupid mon that shouldn't be legal in any doubles metagame) has unfortunately messed things up and predictably exposed just how dumb a lot of the mons in this tier really are. Maybe it's just me talking here but I find this metagame dominated by 4 pokemon (Marshadow, Megagross, Zamazenta, and to a lesser extent, Jirachi) that almost certainly won't be legal in any other doubles format with the tools they have here to feel really stupid and unfair. These mons generally just outclass everything else, stat-checking the vast majority of legal mons- when I watch a replay I feel like my first thought (as a player well-versed in the metagame) shouldn't always universally be "why is this legal bruh".

More in-depth thoughts:

:zamazenta:
man. For a very long time stretching back to gen 8 I actually wanted to see how this mon would play in a DOU-level format. After seeing this thing legal for almost a year in this tier, I now regret that position more than any other meta take I've ever had playing mons. The other day I realized that this mon has been the biggest spoiler for the enjoyment of the tier for the majority of its history. It has too many stats to be as fast as it is, and was one of the two big coaching mons while that was legal, probably more unhealthily than zeraora imo (as zera always feels like a more balanced mon in general).
Now, as a result of the context of the metagame, this mon has found another route to causing me to log off the website: the generally physical-heavy metagame and absence of Shifu has led to the rise of IDBP Zama. This was the primary driver of me making this post, as this iron press set feels really dumb from the games I've seen- I don't think iron-press mons are supposed to simultaneously be damn near unkillable (with some variance depending on the matchup) and be the fastest thing in the metagame. I'd like to see this removed personally, but I think other things are likely a priority, as if more special attackers were actually viable I think this mon might be a bit more healthy (tera steel walls the majority of good special attackers that can hit it at the moment).

I really wish we didn't free this mon back at the start of the tier but realistically it's a good thing because now we have enough evidence to bar this mf from being legal in any current gen DOU tier as long as it learns coaching and body press. o7

:Marshadow:
This guy is a pretty fun hyper offensive mon in concept so I'm not upset that we've had this legal for so long but I think with the way the powerlevel has shaken out with the last few bans it might be almost time for this guy to go. This one's pretty simple: it just hits really really hard and with shadow sneak doing so much and hitting the entire tier with unresisted stab coverage (except zoroark-hisui) it's really difficult to outposition. The majority of my losses from laddering ladder tour were from various shadow sneak speedties between Marshadows where I didn't have any other options available to me. It's far from the worst offender on this list here, I def think there's bigger priorities, but we need to keep on this one: it's banned from SM and SS for a reason and realistically with the tier settling a bit in terms of powerlevel Marsh can't really be a player anymore.

:Jirachi:
This is a really solid mon but I don't realllllyyyy understand the hate it's gotten throughout the the tier. Follow Me is admittedly pretty stupid on 100/100/100 bulk but I think it's typing in this metagame is a bit outshadowed by a more broken mon and as a result suffers from having to deal with a lot of attackers that match up well into it typing wise. I'd honestly rather have wellspring on most teams at the moment for how valuable its typing is, but I have to concede that realistically if we get rid of a few things this mon is probably also dumb, I just don't quite see it on the same level of the other mons I'm discussing here. Should be looked at in the future, but at least for me it's very very far from the first priority and I think it's reasonably dealt with currently.

and now for the actual culprit I think needs immediate action:

:Metagross-Mega:
What if you took the best mega in SM, gave it dynamic speed support, a variety of new partners that punish intimidate, and a 120 base power stab move (boosted by it's ability)? Yea. That's Mega Metagross. This behemoth almost entirely outclasses every other mega to the point I'd almost never run any of the others even on teams where they seem like they'd fit. The damage this mon does with heavy slam is really bad for this tier in terms of power level and centralization and I think we'd really see a lot of benefits if we just took it off the table. I don't think any of the other mons here are even close to how stupid this mon is, it trades favorably literally every time, threatens the strongest special attacker with bullet punch, forces torn to run a ridiculous amount of defense investment just to not get ohko'd by a neutral move, ohko's rilla with a pao switch-in, and 2hko's incin after intimidate. There's very little consistent counterplay to this mon as heavy slam will torch even resists for huge amounts when they try to switch in. We quickbanned terapagos for less. Please ban.

TLDR:
This tier is currently at a crossroads between the way it's been treated up until now and creating an actually playable format. Personally, I think we need to just get rid of the broken stuff once and for all and finish what we started with banning shifu. It's fun to play with broken stuff for a little bit but we're approaching the one-year anniversary of the tier and I don't think it's sustainable to keep Natdex Doubles as the safe space for DOU's historically banned mons.
IMO the next steps should probably be:
Ban metagross --> ban zama --> see what marsh/jirachi are like after
There's not much to add upon what Eragon already said about Gross and Zamazenta. As seen from the last round of NDWC, Gross won all matches except one with Kang. Gross makes team building somewhat limiting since it can even 2HKO mons that should beat it (ex. Zard can't switch in when Gross is on the field). It's a shame, really, because there is a wide range of Megas that could be used if it wasn't for Gross. Zamazenta, like Gross, has a perfect moveset. Assisted with Tera, Covert Cloak, and good stats, it got all it needs to be more than good in this meta.

Marshadow isn't a mon that I find to be controversial but healthy for the meta. I find setup spams or rather setup "race" to be unhealthy for any doubles meta. This view contrasts to players who love to setup spam and say that setting up should be rewarding, not punishing. I also believe that banning marshadow without proper suspect will give way for Kang and Jirachi to spiral out of control. If both Zamazenta and Marshadow is to be banned, there is no natural counter that is super effective against Kang besides maybe Pao and Kartana if it sees more usage. (That's probably one reason why Kang was banned in SM.)

Recently, I have been experimenting with Jirachi. From what I can tell, teams that has decent answers against Gross (so basically a good team) will naturally have at least two mons that can dent Jirachi; we have more than enough Fire types as well as mons with Ghost-Dark and Ground type moves. Of course, Jirachi can tera out of its weakness. At the same time, it is completely useless when it is Taunted. I also find Jirachi to be healthy for the meta because it gives an opportunity to counter an otherwise Tailwind dominated meta. I always find a metagame that has a wide range of team compositions to be a good thing.

Overall, I would not like to see Marshadow or Jirachi to be banned although I can see ban of Gross and Zamazenta to be incoming.

sir jelloton

DPL Champion
I would like to share 2 replays with you all that reinforce my desire to ban Gross.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9nationaldexdoubles-760696
In this game Bagel uses a set containing hammer arm and stomping tantrum as coverage moves on his gross set. this hits all of the pokemon some people claim gross has trouble breaking such as incineroar kingambit volcanion etc and while usually losing speed would be reason enough not to use this move, gross is so ridiculously bulky that it can easily take boosted hits, so the set is viable and gets a lot of value here

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/...-2100020915-31sriv8v0itu1cn9r3zbbkimmofmq3qpw
This entire team is absolute villany shoutout to whoever built it and to mcbruh for popularizing this structure(SO FUN.) but lets hone in on this gross set. its a bulky iron defense set with body press. even though its non stab it's stats and ability still make the body press damage incredibily high, and its also unable to be poisoned(a weakness of the usual wincons on these structures) or tricked which made it hard for me to beat it here. its last move was heavy slam on this team, but say this was last move stored power to 1v1 zama? or last move bullet punch to still be able to beat fluttermane? or a cosmic power set to be a catch all into everything? this mon really could get away with it all.

If you wanted to take it a step further, metagross standard is a completely viable pokemon and has seen success in past metas. if you're usual metagross counterplay loses to a tera fairy from regular metagross for example then what? other users have stated the effectiveness of the typical usage of gross, heavy slam, pfangs/bpunch, stomping tantrum and protect, but there are a myriad of other viable sets that requiredifferent methods to defeat them that i assure you will rise to prominence if gross stays in this tier

Ladderers, Maybe the metagross you've been seeing/ playing with on ladder haven't been an issue for you because they have to play correctly to get use out of the monstorous heavy slam and most do not, but are you gonna wanna deal with it when they realize they can start using this mon to set up spam? do you really wanna deal with this in your ladder games AND leave those actively participating in tours in pain? do the right thing.

Ban Gross.

:metagross-mega: Metagross-Mega :metagross-mega:

Wanted by some, loved and hated by many, finally this thing is gone; it will be missed... or not, whatever.

We can safely say that Metagross dominance has been absolute, there has been present in the majority of teams and games; and there were very few reasons to play another mega over it. All these factors led us to a metagame centered around MGross where we just tried to build around his main partners and counters (this is also true for zama I guess).

So...what now? I think we should expect two big things about this new meta

1. New Megas :salamence-mega: :kangaskhan-mega: :salamence-mega: :charizard-mega-y: :gardevoir-mega: :tyranitar-mega:

No more Gross means more space for other megas, which results in an increase in the variety of teams played. Now, I might be wrong and this will become a Kangaskhan/Salamence in the 90% of teams, but I really think there are rooms for other megas to be viable, even others not shown here like Scizor or Swampert. These lasts, added to ZardY and M-Ttar could mean that we can see more weather teams, which could be cool.

This point its actually interesting as it is related to my next point.

2. Zamazenta :zamazenta:

For many people, including myself, the doggo was more broken in some ways than MGross (although I undestand the desire of the council of removing MGross first, that was probably the best path).

In my opinion the Metagross meta was really beneficial for Zama, being able to set up on a lot of physical threats while also being able to boost those threats with howl. That duality offensive/defensive on the same mon being able to do two different things while being excelsive at both is, in my opinion, a bit too much to handle.
So here´s the thing, that was the old meta, I wanted to reset myself and had an open mind about this mon in a different meta. Will this meta had the tools to deal better with Zama? I feel positive about it.

The most likely rise of Megas like Salamence, Charizard Y and Gardevoir can be a huge blow for Zama since they had a very decent matchup against it, threatening with KOing it, or at least being able to force his tera Steel, something that can be good for someone´s game plan.

Also, the possible rise of other Pokemon that were missing because of his bad performance against Metagross, like Tapu Fini (for example), can be annoying for the dog.

However, while I can contemplate the possibility that Zama will not be that strong now, something that we all should do before rushing into another suspect, I personally feel like it´s gonna still be very very good, probably over the edge, thanks to his ability to adapt to the meta due to his wide movepool and the possibility to find other interesting sets and keep him being absurdly good.

I guess we will find out these nexts weeks.

Other Pokemon that benefict from the Mgross ban

Tapu Fini :tapu-fini:

I´m sorry but this Pokemon could not really held itself against the raw power of Mgross which made some of his sets like CM really useless. But now, I feel like it can be very very good against the next top tier Pokemon of the future meta.

It can check effectively things like Zygarde, Marshadow, Mega Mence, Volcanion and Chien Pao, while being able to deal with Zamazenta with maybe some defensive sets with Haze or NMadness. Overall I can see both CM and Scarf/Specs being useful.

Kyurem-Black Hail :kyurem-black: :ninetales-alola:

I know, Kyub still has to deal with Zama. But, to be honest, Metagross was unbearable for it. After losing one of his main checks could be back. We could work with some situations like this
+1 252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. +1 252 HP / 0 Def Zamazenta: 225-270 (57.9 - 69.5%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also when Gross gained Psyfangs, Veil was deleted from the scene (even if the last sets chose Bullet over Psyfangs), but now it has a chance to work again. Zama behind Veil looks terryfing tho...

I am very curious about Kyub, we will see if it returns to be the threat it was months ago.

Deoxys-Attack :deoxys-attack:

This one could be huge or don´t matter at all. It wasn´t nice for Psyspam and Deoxys to had a Pokemon in the 90% of opposite teams that just had an auto-winning matchup against it with MGross and a secondary check like Rillaboom or Incineroar. While it was good on ladder (for obvious reasons) people were really afraid of loading a Deo Psyspam team in a tour game against an unbeatable Mgross matchup.

I think while before it was really easy to prepare this matchup, now it can get a bit trickier, and can make teambuilding a bit harder, we will see how our next point, Jirachi, will work here...

Next best Steel Type :jirachi: :kingambit:

Jirachi. An excellent Pokemon who had the problem that it share the same typing as MGross, it was very difficult to fit into a Mgross team without overlapping a lot of weakness. But now it looks like the favourite to become the best Steel Type and also the best support Pokemon of the tier. We will see if it doesn´t create a lot of broken cores with some dangerous set up mons like Zygarde or Kyub.

About Kingambit, I personally think it enjoyed the Mgross meta since it was one of his main answers. It will maybe disappear a bit with Zama and Marshadow being around, but now it could go back to its old Tera Fairy set and out some fight with it.

Flutter Mane :flutter-mane:

Personally I dont think this Pokemon gets better or worse with the Gross ban, but at least is not gonna be permamently threaten by Bullet Punch OHKOing or doing around 95%. I put it here because I am curious how is going to behave in the new meta since looks like it´s checking a lot of the new megas.

Mew :mew:

Probably will keep being not as good as in previous gens, but could be possible for it to be a bit better now? It didnt enjoy getting 2hko'ed by Heavy Slam and losing hard to Marshadow, while losing Coaching, but who knows... Maybe it can be a new counter of Zamazenta while spreading status, tailwinds and hazards everywhere, this is kinda of my personal bet.

----------------

Future looking bright with the path the tier has taken, we should probably take actions on some other stuff to make the tier really enjoyable but this was a nice first step, really looking forward to see how things develope.

These were my thought about the new meta, I could probably be wrong about a lot of things (if not all of them xd) but that part of making theories. Thanks for reading!

Smudge

NatDex Doubles TL
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
The fourth metagame/tiering survey is open, please fill it out! It covers topics such as Zamazenta, Marshadow, and more!

Survey Link

This time, the survey is available in both English and Chinese, and is now hosted on the forums instead of google forms to make it more accessible to more players. Thank you to the ND Chinese Translation team for their help with this!

The survey will close in about a week on May 6th at 11:59 PM GMT -4.

Also, we recently celebrated the first anniversary of the tier on April 21st. Thank you to everyone who's participated thus far and let's make this another great year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)