Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are way too many opportunities for a troll to abuse this kind of a feature. Allowing people to use their own custom image for a pokemon is just inviting them to use something inappropriate (sexual, gory, etc). The same goes for the custom cry. On top of that, I feel like this feature would undermine the CAP project in a hurtful way. Why go through weeks of discussion and voting to create one pokemon when you can create one yourself in 2 minutes? I just don't see any benefit to a feature like this other than "it would be kind of fun".
Alright. That's a reasonable reason. I can respect them.

Buuuttt a work around for the trolls would be, like i said, make it a thing where you have to send requests, not random opponents, and it even brings up a warning message before you can accept saying (Warning: people are scary and can put whatever they want. May include inappropriate content, continue? [Yes] [No]. And for the CAP pokemon... that's a fair point, it would be disappointing for them, so IDK.
sorry it's just this is our only chance at having good custom battles, unless we wanted to pull up calculators and math out the damage every turn... ah well.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
I would like to suggest moving Aurora Veil from the "Usually Useless Moves" section to the "Moves" section on the Pokemon Showdown teambuilder. While Vulpix-Alola and Ninetales-Alola at first may seem like the only viable users of the move (in LC and UU respectfully), other Pokemon such as Sandslash-Alola have arisen in PU Alpha and has made Aurora Veil one of the most prominent team archetypes in the tier. Furthermore, it should be noted that the moves Reflect and Light Screen, two moves with similarly comparative roles to Aurora Veil, are also listed in the "Moves" section and not the "Usually Useless Moves" section. And of course this is just a suggestion, but I just wanted to point out a move that, whilst having a limited distribution, is used quite often on the Pokemon who do learn it. I don't think Aurora Veil is nearly as garbage or unused as the rest of the "Usually Useless Moves" section.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
I'd like to recommend moving Magma Storm from Usually Useless, because it's common on Heatran to trap and KO foes.
I'd also like to be able to choose which battle theme plays. Like, a button to change the theme. I'm not asking for custom themes though.

You can search current battles by tier, but I think it would be cool if you could search by specific Pokémon so that you can see them in action. For example, if I wanted to see battlers using Primarina in OU to get a feel for its niche there, I could search "Primarina" within the OU battle search to watch battles where people are using it. It'd be extra cool if this was a feature for replays as well.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
hey,

you know how using the /dexsearch (or /ds) command allows you to use the parameter "resists [type]", like "/ds resists electric, all" would bring up all the mons that resist electric?

i would like to request that a "weak [type]" be added as well. it would have some practical applications, like if you wanted to avoid stacking a fire weakness on your team then you could use "/ds !weak fire, all".

thanks!

you know how using the /dexsearch (or /ds) command allows you to use the parameter "resists [type]", like "/ds resists electric, all" would bring up all the mons that resist electric?

i would like to request that a "weak [type]" be added as well. it would have some practical applications, like if you wanted to avoid stacking a fire weakness on your team then you could use "/ds !weak fire, all".
I implemented this on rom.psim.us and I can tell you that you really don't want to use "/ds !weak fire, all". On the other hand, I was able to use "/ds mold breaker, taunt, !weak fairy" to see whether there was anything that could safely Taunt an Aromatisse.

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I'm not sure if this has been suggested her or not, but I think a simple and very convenient addition to showdown would be a refresh option for any particular ladder on Showdown. Say, for instance, you're laddering on Gen 1 Random Battle and you want to check your progress. Right now, it is a hassle to have to delete the ladder, reopen it, and scroll down to the bar, wait for it to load, and then find where you are on the ladder. A little button in a corner of the ladder that simply refreshes the ladder would make things much less tedious for checking your progress and comparing it with others. Thank you very much.

A few moves that are essential to Pokémons' sets are listed under "usually useless moves" - Solarbeam for Charizard Y, Smart Strike for Kartana, HP Ground for Volcarone, etc. I would like if these cases were fixed.

A minor nitpick in battling, and one that might have been already posted, but it'd be nice if weather and terrains could both be clearly visible at the same time. I know that you can see the turns of terrain/weather in the upper left corner, but I think it'd be more convenient for battles if, say, terrain effects occurred on the ground (also helping people remember the whole "only affecting grounded Pokémon" thing) and weather occurred in the air. Now I have no clue if this is possible to implement, and don't get me wrong, I find both the current weather and terrain effects stunning, but if either this or something similar was put in place, I'm sure it'd be positively received by the Showdown community.

A minor nitpick in battling, and one that might have been already posted, but it'd be nice if weather and terrains could both be clearly visible at the same time. I know that you can see the turns of terrain/weather in the upper left corner, but I think it'd be more convenient for battles if, say, terrain effects occurred on the ground (also helping people remember the whole "only affecting grounded Pokémon" thing) and weather occurred in the air. Now I have no clue if this is possible to implement, and don't get me wrong, I find both the current weather and terrain effects stunning, but if either this or something similar was put in place, I'm sure it'd be positively received by the Showdown community.
To be fair, that also happens in-game. You have to look really closely in many cases to notice there's an active weather when there's also a terrain, but I guess that can be attributed to the terrain's very vivid colors.

But Showdown can work around that, anyways.

Speaking of weather and Terrains, Gen 7's in-game battle interface tells you exactly how many turns such effects will last for, whether it be for 5 or 8. Showdown does no such thing for Gen 7 battles, so can it start to? You would have an easier time playing around weather teams if you know that a weather setter is holding the weather-extending Rock.

Speaking of weather and Terrains, Gen 7's in-game battle interface tells you exactly how many turns such effects will last for, whether it be for 5 or 8. Showdown does no such thing for Gen 7 battles, so can it start to? You would have an easier time playing around weather teams if you know that a weather setter is holding the weather-extending Rock.
Uhm... as far as I remember from VGC it does not tell you whether the weather lasts 8 turns until after the fifth turn passed, just like in Showdown.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Confirming Siggu 's suspiciouns. The opponent will not be able to see how many turns the rain will last before they find out the caster held the rock.
For future reference, if you think there are inaccuracies between the games and the simulator, try posting it in Bug reports, after having read the OP of that thread and made sure that it's actually a bug, of course.

Suggestions from me:
1) Have a notes section for teambuilder, so that you can make notes about your team as you build it. You could use it to either note down mons that counter/ruin your team, or notes to yourself for how to use the team (useful for those using sample teams).
2) Similar to 1), but a general one for PS for each user - maybe have a character limit. Could be used for noting down usernames or that kind of thing.
3) Have the ability to highlight in only one room. This could be useful for experts in one tier to help people in general help rooms

Hope this is clear - if not feel free to query me :)

I've already posted it here but never got a response: The 1 Minute limit to reconnect in ladder games is too short! Considering the delay until the disconnect warning pops up and the time it takes to reload the page, 1 minute is simply too short. Why not simply use the player timer, and when it runs out, the player loses?

I agree, as annoying as it is to wait for someone to reconnect, I've had my internet go out on multiple occasions mid-game, and had to finish the match on my phone. It takes at least a minute to load up the account again, and once you do, you have almost no time for strategy, you just have to click something and hope for the best. I'm sure people wouldn't mind the extra couple of minutes it takes.

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
an option to be able to get rid of highlights for tournaments, but still being able to see the tournament

Y'all should consider having some emotes in chats. Moderators could ban whatever ones they thought would be too much to handle but it'd be fun if it looked like Twitch lol. We could ask the community to create emotes for prizes or something and we'd create them based on already known emotes that make sense, or new ones that the community would be familiar because they are related to Pokémon ( Brock pan, Pikachu ketchup etc.)

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Suggestions from me:
1) Have a notes section for teambuilder, so that you can make notes about your team as you build it. You could use it to either note down mons that counter/ruin your team, or notes to yourself for how to use the team (useful for those using sample teams).
2) Similar to 1), but a general one for PS for each user - maybe have a character limit. Could be used for noting down usernames or that kind of thing.
It seems like the verdict on PS note systems is that they aren't worth the effort to program when you can use off-site noting on pastebin/google docs/etc. Noting actually inside PS could be more convenient, yes, but it doesn't seem enough of an improvement to convince anyone to compose it from scratch with other projects (e.g. Multi Battles) still in the wings.

Y'all should consider having some emotes in chats. Moderators could ban whatever ones they thought would be too much to handle but it'd be fun if it looked like Twitch lol. We could ask the community to create emotes for prizes or something and we'd create them based on already known emotes that make sense, or new ones that the community would be familiar because they are related to Pokémon ( Brock pan, Pikachu ketchup etc.)
This one's probably a no since twitch emotes work great in Twitch's rapid-fire chat lacking concern for consistent quality, but not so well on Showdown because of their disruptiveness and distractingness.

I've already posted it here but never got a response: The 1 Minute limit to reconnect in ladder games is too short! Considering the delay until the disconnect warning pops up and the time it takes to reload the page, 1 minute is simply too short. Why not simply use the player timer, and when it runs out, the player loses?
If you mean the per-turn player timer, using that and having the internet explode mid-way through a turn (especially if you were occupied on a previous turn e.g. dealing with another connection shortage) could spell doom. If you mean the total game timer, that would open the door too wide for timerstalling and intentional disconnecting.

No, I meant the per-turn timer. When that runs out, you lose because of inactivity. And THIS TIMER SHOULD BE USED WHEN DISCONNECTED TOO. And not a short 1 minute timer.

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I went through and took the suggestions from the last 10 pages and bumped them up somewhere where they will have more visibility with developers. I'll update the OP with them as soon as I have a chance and try to keep that updated, so try to remember to check the OP to make sure your suggestion hasn't already been posted yet before posting here. Great suggestions guys, keep them coming!

e: op updated now

Last edited:
Ok, so I think it is very unfair to lose almost 10 points every day I am not laddering. Like I reached 1950 in OU recently and I lost 40 points after 3 days not playing.
I shouldn't be forced to play every day in order to keep that elo especially at this point where it is getting more and more difficult to win.
I understand you want to prevent people from not battling once a certain elo is reached but there are other ways. At least make us loose one point a day it would be more fair.
Thank you.

Ok, so I think it is very unfair to lose almost 10 points every day I am not laddering. Like I reached 1950 in OU recently and I lost 40 points after 3 days not playing.
I shouldn't be forced to play every day in order to keep that elo especially at this point where it is getting more and more difficult to win.
I understand you want to prevent people from not battling once a certain elo is reached but there are other ways. At least make us loose one point a day it would be more fair.
Thank you.
Everything explained about decaying is explained here and was put in place by zarel to avoid this:
the most prominent being that players with high ratings often have little incentive to continue playing and GREAT incentive NOT to play
. Along with this, in OU it's currently
  • If you played 6 or more games, there is no decay
  • If you played 1-5 games, you lose 1 point for every 100 points above 1500 you are
  • If you played 0 games, you lose 1 point for every 50 points above 1400 you are
This is all done to give people incentive to continue to ladder and not just get first place and never play until they have someone pass them. If it was changed to only lose "one point a day", it would make the ladder became stagnant and cause there to be no movement making the top 10 almost never change unless someone laddered past them, unlike now where it is constantly changing and different players can achieve different ranks and be forced to continue to play to maintain those ranks. I'd suggest clicking the link I gave earlier and giving it a read because it all makes thorough sense that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)