The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

AND we're arguing over whether or not something happened to someone else. In Pokemon Gold. When said person says it happened.
Edit: Let's not forget that for a while, all Pokemon that used Transform were treated as Ditto, and wild pokemon that knew moves they weren't supposed to know were treated a bit differently. I have no clue whether or not this applies to Gen 2 or is restricted to Gen 1, since the only other Pokemon that knows Transform is Mew.
Now that you mention it, I seem to remember that when you catch a Ditto pretending to be your Pokemon, for some reason, the Pokedex didn't record its data. (In Gen 3 - my memory is a bit fuzzy but I believe that's the case)

My facepalm- switching Gengar and later Mega Manectric into an obviously Scarfed Excadrill spamming Earthquake because I wasn't paying attention.

So I decided to breed a few competitive Miltanks for fun. So I grab my female Camerupt, a Miltank, and an Adamant Ditto and put two of them in the Day Care and start riding my Mach Bike. I've made several laps yet still no egg. I was getting angrier and angrier. Then I noticed that the Day Care Lad said that they rather play with other Pokémon...then I looked at the bottom screen (which is on Super Training so I can see my current party) and there was my Ditto. I had put my female Camerupt in the Day Care instead of my Ditto.
What a way to start 2016.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
If you guys have been following VGC, you'll know that VGC 16 allows up to two "Ubers" per team this rule set, but must be Gen VI-born (with the pentagon). For the past few days, I've been soft-resetting for a Giratina, using a Soak+Final Gambit+Spore Smeargle, with Speed and HP one point lower than Giratina's in order to verify those stats have max IVs before attempting capture. Needless to say, after several resets, it ends up becoming an involuntary reaction to reset the instant I see Smeargle outspeed Giratina.

...So, shortly after I woke up this morning, I did a couple of more resets in my quest to catch a penta-flawless devil dragon. I glanced down at my screen just in time to see a shiny Giratina pop out of the Hoopa portal ring. I didn't have any master balls on me (matching ball or bust), but I had plenty of dive balls in my bag. I went to spore Giratina, and Smeragle made the first move to put Giratina asleep....and before I could stop myself, I had already placed my fingers on L+R+Start to make the reset. ;_;

Ladies and gents, my first day of 2016.

Last edited:
If you guys have been following VGC, you'll know that VGC 16 allows up to two "Ubers" per team this rule set, but must be Gen VI-born (with the pentagon). For the past few days, I've been soft-resetting for a Giratina, using a Soak+Final Gambit+Spore Smeargle, with Speed and HP one point lower than Giratina's in order to verify those stats have max IVs before attempting capture. Needless to say, after several resets, it ends up becoming an involuntary reaction to reset the instant I see Smeargle outspeed Giratina.

...So, shortly after I woke up this morning, I did a couple of more resets in my quest to catch a penta-flawless devil dragon. I glanced down at my screen just in time to see a shiny Giratina pop out of the Hoopa portal ring. I didn't have any master balls on me (matching ball or bust), but I had plenty of dive balls in my bag. I went to spore Giratina, and Smeragle made the first move to put Giratina asleep....and before I could stop myself, I had already placed my fingers on L+R+Start to make the reset. ;_;

The other (slightly less) facepalm-worthy part is you using Dive Balls rather than Net Balls.

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
The other (slightly less) facepalm-worthy part is you using Dive Balls rather than Net Balls.
Matching balls are nice though, and they matter to some people if you plan on trading a Pokemon. The lower catch rate really isn't that bad with capture power lv 3 active while you're trying to catch Giratina when it's asleep and at 1 HP from Final Gambit (if it faints, it wasn't worth catching in the first place). I've been using luxury balls, and it usually only takes about 3-7 balls on average to catch.

The dive balls were also leftovers from when I tried to SR a HP Ice Thundurus. Please don't ask how well that turned out. ;-;

EDIT: RNGesus gave me a shot at redemption. This one also had perfect Speed, so no dumb resets this time around. The important IVs besides HP and Speed are crap, but hey, I won't complain.

Attachments

Last edited:
So I had saved the game before Cobalion and was going through a series of resets trying to get one with the right nature. On one reset, I saved right after catching one with the wrong nature. That was a stupid moment.

Reactions: JES
Okay, probably not the most amazing. Just something I recall from playing Crystal. Well, I was a kid and I didn't know that there was an alternate entrance into Mt. Mortar to fight the Karate King. That was until I had defeated Red and was just walking around Johto just for the sake of it after being a Champion. Lo and behold, I found the Karate King and curb-stomped him with a team that defeated Red. The feeling was so satisfying. Plus, I got a Tyrogue out of it (something I don't have in the Dex yet) so all's well.

Okay, probably not the most amazing. Just something I recall from playing Crystal. Well, I was a kid and I didn't know that there was an alternate entrance into Mt. Mortar to fight the Karate King. That was until I had defeated Red and was just walking around Johto just for the sake of it after being a Champion. Lo and behold, I found the Karate King and curb-stomped him with a team that defeated Red. The feeling was so satisfying. Plus, I got a Tyrogue out of it (something I don't have in the Dex yet) so all's well.
Slightly irrelevant to the thread, but I wonder when GSC will be re-released? I'm sick of Lyra and want Kris back. <3

But something dumb I did was completely forget to pre-order the Red and Blue 3DS bundle and now I'm pretty sure all of them are sold out in my general area. Does that count?

In real life i did something whilst playing pokemon a few years ago. I was eating cereal and i spilt milk on my DS Lite. I wiped the milk off and it went into the down arrow of the DS meaning I have to press 3 times as hard on the down arrow and sometimes it won't even move the character. It's especially annoying in pokemon games where the character is slower like pokemon Diamond and Pearl...

Alright, here's a good old one, one that at least a few would remember doing at one point or another.
Playing Ruby, and trying to reset for a decently natured(and IV'd) Groudon, for reasons I don't remember. Ran into a shiny one on the 216th try(I was counting). I had to take a call after Master Balling it, and came back to hear the Pokemon center music. Thinking that the "non shiny" (I had forgotten that the groudon I'd caught was shiny) Groudon had poor stats, I reset. I only remembered what I'd done the next day, looking at my lovely new Adamant Groudon.

It's sad that even the legendaries must be Gen 6. Otherwise you could have RNG'd them in DPPt.

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
It's sad that even the legendaries must be Gen 6. Otherwise you could have RNG'd them in DPPt.
Funny thing is, I do have a Shiny Giratina that I RNG'd in Platinum several years ago that's been collecting dust in my PC box. I RNG'd my ID/SID back then for one of the legends (idr which one now, maybe Darkrai/Shaymin?) and just RNG'd Giratina for kicks when I reached the Distortion World, even though the Timid spread was useless on him back then. He would've been perfect for VGC 16, but alas, the pentagon rule forced him to remain in the box of RNG misfits.

But tbh, I've no clue if Timid Giratina (or Giratina in general) is even viable in VGC 16 anymore. Life responsibilities threw me out of the VGC loop early in the season. Oh well, I still have two derpy blue devil dragons now at least. lol

Funny thing is, I do have a Shiny Giratina that I RNG'd in Platinum several years ago that's been collecting dust in my PC box. I RNG'd my ID/SID back then for one of the legends (idr which one now, maybe Darkrai/Shaymin?) and just RNG'd Giratina for kicks when I reached the Distortion World, even though the Timid spread was useless on him back then. He would've been perfect for VGC 16, but alas, the pentagon rule forced him to remain in the box of RNG misfits.

But tbh, I've no clue if Timid Giratina (or Giratina in general) is even viable in VGC 16 anymore. Life responsibilities threw me out of the VGC loop early in the season. Oh well, I still have two derpy blue devil dragons now at least. lol
Yeah. Shinies and 5/6IVs can be easy to find, but a shiny Pokemon with good IVs... you'll definitely need to do some ID RNG.

Hai BP :3

I once traded a mewtwo for a shuckle in XY even though they are obtainable by very rare capture in the game on one route, I tried for hours to get a shuckle but my childish impatience got the best of me and I gave away my mewtwo for one.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Mine was probably grinding on the E4 in Black and White with a Level ~80 Krookodile.
I was using Foul Play.

I was 8-9 when this happened. I just beat the Elite 4 in Pokemon Pearl and was taking the boat to the Battle Zone. I thought the game was over after beating the Elite 4, but there was a whole new area to explore and I was soo excited. I couldn't wait for more gameplay.
upload_2016-4-7_11-16-51.png

Buuut... In order to progress, these two assholes said I needed to get the national pokedex first. I had no idea what that meant or how I was going to get it. After a pretty long time, I figured I needed to finish my current pokedex to get the national dex. Turns out I was missing one single pokemon, Lumineon. So being the dumb kid I was, I caught a pissweak Finneon and grinded wild Pokemon with it until it reached lvl 31. Didn't even use the XP share, I actually used the Finneon itself. It was a painful process but I finally got my natdex and enjoyed the rest of the game.

Some time later I was messin around in some route and I saw a trainer I hadn't fought yet. She had a Lumineon.

fuck you lumineon. No one remembers you exist and no one cares about you. I hope you stay irrelevant forever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)